• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

This is for all you M2 and MLIG fans on this board. About half way through the documentary myself so far and it's pretty great.

Just remember to turn on subtitles if you need them. There is an option for just subtitling the Japanese parts (labled "English-Japanese translation") as well as a few other options.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm looking forward to watching this after work. I wish more studios treated older games with the care that M2 does.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching it, and it was excellent all around. And it reaffirms how strange it is to me that the Castlevania collection that just came out has the issues that it does.

OP
OP
LuigiV

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I just finished watching it, and it was excellent all around. And it reaffirms how strange it is to me that the Castlevania collection that just came out has the issues that it does.
I imagine they were probably under a strict dealine. Hopefully they'll get the chance to put out a patch, though even if they don't, the collection is still pretty solid as it is.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
true #tensai

D68V29dW0AElorc.jpg:small

this was such a treat to watch

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the official thread, they're a small team juggling a ton of projects.
Yeah, but some of the issues are mistakes that I just feel like M2 would never make. Especially after seeing those interviews. Some of them don't even take extra time (like buttons being swapped). And the original mode shimmering is another strange thing that they clearly care a lot about, and it's mentioned in this video.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but some of the issues are mistakes that I just feel like M2 would never make. Especially after seeing those interviews. Some of them don't even take extra time (like buttons being swapped). And the original mode shimmering is another strange thing that they clearly care a lot about, and it's mentioned in this video.
True.
Issues like the button swap are really uncharacteristic.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing documentary, wow. Great job, MLiG! Watching this got me thinking; is there really no way to play the ReBirth titles anywhere but the Wii? That's insane. Dolphin emulation doesn't seem to be working for those titles and to my knowledge there are no ports out either? Sheesh. Wish the Castlevania title was included in the new collection, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

I really do think it was some kind of pressured deadline. It's mentioned in the video that they generally like to take their time and put care into the projects. Something that should have taken maybe 1 1/2 years took like 3.

I do hope they add the ability to customize buttons or at least fix the buttons.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't planning to watch the whole thing but I did and I'm happy about it. This was really well done. Despite its issues, I'm really enjoying the Castlevania collection.

The comment in there comparing them to the Criterion Collection is pretty apt I think.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
MyLifeInGaming content is overall incredible but I particularly love their documentaries (although they got few up until now). This one was fantastic as expected too! And funnily enough, I grew more appreciation to Digital Eclipse and their efforts due of them being so inspired by M2 :p

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked how this focused on some of the individual staff at M2 and their history with the company. MLIG keep on doing good work.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Legends the lot of 'em.

Translating the assembly to C, not because they intended to recompile it back just so they can better understand it is the most fucking M2 thing I have ever heard.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
I love MLiG's style of video so I'm super looking forward to watching this! I don't even have much interest in in the subjects a lot of the time, but their enthusiasm is contagious.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Konami definitely had some deadlines looming for M2, that has to be it.

Also, notice the Star Wars arcade t-shirt? I wonder if that is a nod to something in the Sega AGES line. *thinking emoji*

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hot down, an entire hour dedicated to M2. Maybe it's about time I finally look into My Life in Gaming, any suggestions on where I should start in terms of their overall content/best representation of their current output? I usually like to start at the beginning if there's not that many videos.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hot down, an entire hour dedicated to M2. Maybe it's about time I finally look into My Life in Gaming, any suggestions on where I should start in terms of their overall content/best representation of their current output? I usually like to start at the beginning if there's not that many videos.
I've only really watched their "more recent" videos, but there are a lot of videos to go through, so maybe just start at the start of their RGB videos? I think it's correct to say it's like a series about getting the best video quality from old gaming systems, mostly through RGB inputs and how to get there like with mods with other stuff like FPGA consoles with HDMI in their more recent stuff.

Iunno, that's that stuff I'm most interested in at least.

They just started a live-stream of the HDMI GBA consolizer if that sounds interesting to you, but their live streams have a different feeling to them than their other produced videos.
edit: Oh yeah... link lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vL0fsSY7xI

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I've only really watched their "more recent" videos, but there are a lot of videos to go through, so maybe just start at the start of their RGB videos? I think it's correct to say it's like a series about getting the best video quality from old gaming systems, mostly through RGB inputs and how to get there with other stuff like FPGA consoles with HDMI in their more recent stuff.

Iunno, that's that stuff I'm most interested in at least.
Cool, thank you. I'm just finishing up the video on Popful Mail & have stuff like the RGB video & Framemeister along with Wolf Team on Sega CD ready to watch. After that, I guess I'll just watch whatever pops out to me, like the Crusin' series, Namco on Genesis, & such.

They always seemed to be one of those channels that would pop up from time to time under "Recommended for You", and I've been trying to find some new videos to watch & have something to listen to during work days where I don't have podcasts, so now seems like a good time to finally check and see if their content is for me.

OP
OP
LuigiV

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
If you're interested in getting the best image quality out of your retro games then I would definitely recommend checking out the RGB series. The RGB 1## and 3## series cover the basics of TV technology, external scalers and the like whilst the 2## series deep dives into [pretty much] all the options available for a given system's library.

If that's not your thing, they also do other videos on miscellaneous retro gaming topics. Just pick one that covers a game/topic you're interested in and start watching, they're all really well produced.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is an incredible documentary. Tons of interesting tidbits. For example, before seeing this, I had no idea M2 was responsible for building Virtual Console emulators on Wii, Wii U *and* 3DS.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Konami definitely had some deadlines looming for M2, that has to be it.

Also, notice the Star Wars arcade t-shirt? I wonder if that is a nod to something in the Sega AGES line. *thinking emoji*

M2 has already brought up Star Wars Arcade as a game that they would like to include in the Sega Ages line. I think they even said they had it running on Switch. Big issue is getting the license.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Ultimately, passion can only compensate for so much, especially on contract work where the contractor isn't willing to indulge your whims. They were also dragged in to fix the MD Mini and they've been all hands on deck with that for the last while, so that probably had some impact.

Button mapping is a feature that ends up being very QA-intensive, so it's something publishers often forego if they can't or don't want to spend the money to test it.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
What a fantastic look at a company that I've always known about, but had no idea of their history and skill. Documentaries like these are so incredibly important to the history of gaming. I'm really impressed and happy that this exists.

I was already considering buying the Genesis Mini, but it's an absolute must now.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is that the reason why those versions happened to incorporate a native widescreen image?
The way I took it was it creates good reference material so for example if they run into a bug they can more quickly and easily read through the C and determine if it is a rare bug or something in their emulation code/port.

Since they don't recompile back down from the C it doesn't seem likely it is for adding features beyond having more readable reference material for adding those features.

That said I imagine they have built some very good in house tools here. I picture stuff like being able to see/toggle between the assembly and the converted C, or a mixed inline sort of thing. Anyone who has worked with an IDE that does this knows what I'm talking about, except M2 is doing it for hardware decades out of common usage.

asm_disassembly1.gif

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the heads up OP. Been playing Fantasy Zone 2 W lately, another great M2 port.