• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah hair isn't worth a limp dick

You're talking about less than 2% of the population who uses finasteride. If you have any issues, you just stop taking it. Internet drama about finasteride has really done a number on the public perception of the drug.

If I were balding, I would probably take it.

In any case, there are only two paths you can take when losing your hair. Either you shave it and work on other ways of improving your appearance or you hop on medication to stave it off.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the club. You'll look better bald IMO. I finally gave it up too recently. I wasn't really trying to hide it, but I have a bald spot kind of the middle front of my head, and I could comb over, but who wants to be that guy. Embrace it!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to shave my head in a few days OP. It's thinning but not too bad now. I never wanted to get to the point where I feel like i'm clinging on to a few strands, I want to own it and make the decision to go full bald myself, while it's still my choice.

Let's do it together. Let's go full j allard.

dFdee54.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Back the last time I buzzed my hair, nearly everyone told me it looked good or ok.
Once it grew back a bit, so many of those opinions switched to "oh yeah, I actually hated it"
It gave me a bit of a complex in feeling like I cant trust them. This was friends too.

That said, they all can see me in real life, where as y'all are looking at a picture I took to show off the balding in the most revealing light.
Not to mention that in cases like this, I feel like the advice given out is ALWAYS the same, I've never not once seen someone say "It's not that bad", when statistically, sometimes It won't actually be that bad.
Your pictures are really clear light, honestly you have poor hair. I would shave it off. People don't always tell you what you need to know and you've got no reason to trust me either to be fair, but the pictures are really clear to me. I know sometimes the internet likes to overreact and tell you can become the Rock, but I think you'll be better if you just try and be healthy, dress well and shave it off. You'll probably look very cool with the right combo.

eldar101

May 12, 2019
It is what it is...people can see straight through any attempt to hide/conceal/replace it.
Either be rich enough for entire head hair transplant or just be bald.
My most confident moment in recent times was quickly shutting down my barber's attempt to play on insecurities so he could sell me some Toppik.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stone Cold Steve Austin is bald. Do you see him having any issues? No. He just gives people the Stone Cold Stunner.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
My life improved significantly once I started balding and went full shaven. It really gave me a confidence boost.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do often feel compelled to chime in to these threads and mention that my hair transplant procedure was nothing short of a literal goddamn miracle.

It is, however, a very expensive procedure and I understand I am in a privileged position to get one. (I'd expect 10k at the absolute minimum for a good one.) But something to theoretically look into, OP, if you've got the cash.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I do often feel compelled to chime in to these threads and mention that my hair transplant procedure was nothing short of a literal goddamn miracle.

It is, however, a very expensive procedure and I understand I am in a privileged position to get one. (I'd expect 10k at the absolute minimum for a good one.) But something to theoretically look into, OP, if you've got the cash.
Do you mind sharing before and after pics? (If you're comfortable)

I'm always curious about how this procedure works. I'm just so fascinated by stuff like this and each guy's results.

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah this didn't just start, you've been balding for a while. Good news is that your hair was already pretty short: shave it, you'll still look good.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mind sharing before and after pics? (If you're comfortable)

I'm always curious about how this procedure works. I'm just so fascinated by stuff like this and each guy's results.
Eight years ago, "before" (a hairline is drawn on):

vKzra.jpg

FSpBg.jpg

Eight months later:

GnRH4Gw.jpg

daPBfjJ.jpg

Pictures from a month ago:

yLmojDm.jpg

69917234_10115930187882601_5759042546793709568_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019

Don't you have to get transplants done every couple years? He's just gonna look patchy and weird if he gets plugs and the rest falls out in a couple years.

Edit: And when the rest falls out and you can't/won't do another transplant, you cant just shave it off - unless you wanna show off your scar.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you have to get transplants done every couple years? He's just gonna look patchy and weird if he gets plugs and the rest falls out in a couple years.

Edit: And when the rest falls out and you can't/won't do another transplant, you cant just shave it off - unless you wanna show off your scar.
I had my transplant late in 2011; see the last image in my post for current status. I do use Finasteride for upkeep; I don't suffer any side effects from it.

Re: the scar thing...I guess. Hasn't been a problem for me but even if I had to shave at this exact moment for the rest of my life, the eight years would have been worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I have some buzzers right here with me. I think I'll go to a barber for the first time, then start doing it myself from then on.

What about super bald, like actually shaving your head with a hand razor? Is that hard to do?

Not tried that, I'm not a fan of the shiny close shave look (on heads or chins). I like a little bit of stubble. Probably a bit fiddly razor shaving your own head, at least with clippers you can just whizz around without any danger of slicing yourself.

Basically I grade 1 my chin then just carry on around the rest of my head.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not tried that, I'm not a fan of the shiny close shave look (on heads or chins). I like a little bit of stubble. Probably a bit fiddly razor shaving your own head, at least with clippers you can just whizz around without any danger of slicing yourself.

Basically I grade 1 my chin then just carry on around the rest of my head.

Probably creepy to bring it up, but I've always said that, when I go full bald, I'm gonna try and match Combichristoffersen's look. Hell, I've had those same style aviators for years now.

Jun 6, 2019
I had my transplant late in 2011; see the last image in my post for current status. I do use Finasteride for upkeep; I don't suffer any side effects from it.

Re: the scar thing...I guess. Hasn't been a problem for me but even if I had to shave at this exact moment for the rest of my life, the eight years would have been worth it.

Glad you're happy and this worked for you! You look great.

People should know that it's not just a transplant, though. It's a commitment. Gotta be on finasteride for the rest of your life OR be ok with showing off your scar OR do extra transplants when more falls out. it's certainly not one and done.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No beard and clean shaven head with my razor, and I feel a little like a cancer patient.

But... I don't dislike it. It'll take some getting used to.

Perhaps just a bit of stubble won't be a bad idea.

I always shave my beard with clippers instead of an actual razor because I need stubble. Without stubble I look too smooth, haha.

Confident enough to throw up some pics? Truth be told your last pics were pretty much already there, we could see the shape of your head. The hair was more of a formality, lol.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you're happy and this worked for you! You look great.

People should know that it's not just a transplant, though. It's a commitment. Gotta be on finasteride for the rest of your life OR be ok with showing off your scar OR do extra transplants when more falls out. it's certainly not one and done.
That's true. The doctor mentioned it was likely in ten years I might need more; it's eight and I'm still doin' great, but I do fully expect to grab another sometime in the next decade.

Jun 6, 2019
Shiiiit

Fuck me I feel weird.

But crap, I feel a little better each time I look in the mirror.

Good for you, OP. I gotta be honest with you. You did not "start balding", you're already pretty far in. Good on you for owning it and shaving it. Personally, I don't think balding/bald folks need to all fully shave, a short buzz works too, especially if there is still some hair on top.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the order I went in:

1. Barber buzz at a 1 or 2
2. Start buzzing it yourself with a Remington HC4250 (super easy... takes a couple minutes)
3. Start shaving it entirely off with an Omnishaver and shaving cream. You use this after a shower and it's a joke how easy it is. I do it every other day now.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the order I went in:

1. Barber buzz at a 1 or 2
2. Start buzzing it yourself with a Remington HC4250 (super easy... takes a couple minutes)
3. Start shaving it entirely off with an Omnishaver and shaving cream. You use this after a shower and it's a joke how easy it is. I do it every other day now.

I actually appreciate this short guide, thanks for the tips!

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Unfortunately, I feel a lot of people my age would disagree, 24 is somewhat young to go bald, so people tend not to like the look.
Particularly girls. (at least, I assume.)
As a bald dude, whose kept his head shaved since 22 let me just say that in my experience most women are far more unattracted to men insecure about their baldness than they are baldness. The sooner you shave, the sooner you learn to truly not be bothered by it, the sooner you will truly learn to love the way you look. It's a process with its own mourning cycle and everything. At least mine was lol. Took a couple of years for me to finally accept it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Good for you, OP. I gotta be honest with you. You did not "start balding", you're already pretty far in. Good on you for owning it and shaving it. Personally, I don't think balding/bald folks need to all fully shave, a short buzz works too, especially if there is still some hair on top.
Here's the thing right, I always suspected and feared, but each time I wondered, anyone I asked would deny it, Including the hairdresser.
I just asssumed my hair was just plain shit because nobody would confirm that I am balding, until it hit the point where It was irrefutable.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously hope I can pull it off as well as you do, OP. You're lucky that your head shape is well suited!