• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Title says it all.

I've already searched the internet for solutions and tried them all. I also called tech support and they made me do some rituals about turning off the TV for a while and stuff but it also didn't work. The weird thing is that sometimes it works for a long time, there were a couple of weeks in the past that it never failed, but there are times it just doesn't connect or keeps disconnecting every 5 minutes.

The TV stays in the living room, some 10~15 meters from the wifi router plus a wall. But the signal strength is good, generally either full bars or almost full.

It was really hoping for some magical and easy solution mind you.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like my mom's cell phone

The fix for that was to make a guest network and have the phone use that

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either your router isn't close enough, or you have interference with another wireless product.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Sounds like my mom's cell phone

The fix for that was to make a guest network and have the phone use that

Hm, I might try that.

15 meters + a wall is pretty far to be honest.
Either your router isn't close enough, or you have interference with another wireless product.

It's probably closer to 10 meters than 15, 8~12 meters might be a more precise number. But the thing is, I have a PS3 at the same sport and its wifi works well. All wifi related work well, even when they are as far as the TV. The TV is the only rebel.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
Your TV might be connecting to the 5ghz spectrum on your router which at times can be fickle depending on the range between the both of them. Try setting up a separate 2.4ghz access point in the router and connect it to that.

That might be the issue.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Your TV might be connecting to the 5ghz spectrum on your router which at times can be fickle depending on the range between the both of them. Try setting up a separate 2.4ghz access point in the router and connect it to that.

That might be the issue.
Most likely this may be the problem.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

That might be the issue.

Tried it. The weird thing is that the 2.4Ghz virtually never works, it's only the 5Ghz connection that sometimes works. It's a 50% chance give or take.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my experience. If the signal on the WiFi is presented as anything but full lines, it means that signal is shit and it's barely working. In fact, even full three lines is sometimes not all that good.
Oh, and if you are connecting via 5GHz through the wall and 10m distance, forget about it. Your signal strength is absolute garbage there. You need to find a router that can properly do 2.4Ghz for that distance. Although, you have to keep in mind that with 2.4GHz you have to worry about the interference from the microwave oven. Consider doing an ethernet cable if you can, that's the best thing in the end, or move the router closer.

Last edited:

a secret boss

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same problem on my C9
from what I read it's the shielding in the TV I don't have this problem on my C8 same spot where I put my C9 before.

Oct 27, 2017
I have the same problem on my C9
from what I read it's the shielding in the TV I don't have this problem on my C8 same spot where I put my C9 before.
I was having similar issues with my C9 when we were using Virgin's garbage Super Hub 3 as the main wireless router. It would fail to connect all the time, and when it did, it would often drop out when watching something.

I added a Google Wifi Router (with the Super Hub 3 on modem-only duties) and the problem is now solved.

SofNascimento have you considered a mesh setup?

a secret boss

Oct 25, 2017
I was having similar issues with my C9 when we were using Virgin's garbage Super Hub 3 as the main wireless router. It would fail to connect all the time, and when it did, it would often drop out when watching something.

I added a Google Wifi Router (with the Super Hub 3 on modem-only duties) and the problem is now solved.
Might be my bad 2 years old ASUS router.
Time to upgrade to Mesh router I guess

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
I always got wireless dodgy streaming performance on my LG, even though it was right next to the router. Had to hook up an ethernet.

Could you drill a hole in the wall and run a cable, or failing that try wall plugs?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

SofNascimento have you considered a mesh setup?

I don't know what that is but let me take a look.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get a usb Ethernet Adapter and go wired

(Because the built in Ethernet is only 10/100)

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
You need to move the router closer. I know from experience. The TV night not have a strong enough wifi antenna. Another possible issue, you might have an option enabled where the wifi connection on your TV is in "power saving" mode. Try disabling it or factory reset your WiFi settings on your LG. But really, the issue is how far away the router is.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Did you just try moving the modem and router closer just to verify if it's a signal strength issue?

What model tv is yours? I've read numerous people complainabout the WiFi chipset in lg oleds over the years.
I think this helped with mine getting randomly slow or having problems connecting. My router is right next to my tv though.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Smart TVs suck. That's why I got a Chromecast.
They seriously are. An HTPC, Firestick, Chromecast, ATV, etc (in that order) are much better options for when the TV manufacturer ultimately stops updating or even selectively handing out apps. At the most, a smart TV with FireOS inside is the only one I would go for due to sideloading and being able to update the OS manually.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
If it were me I'd get two homeplugs and plug a network cable into the tv thus make it wired back to the router, using your house mains to send the signal.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Did you just try moving the modem and router closer just to verify if it's a signal strength issue?

What model tv is yours? I've read numerous people complainabout the WiFi chipset in lg oleds over the years.
I think this helped with mine getting randomly slow or having problems connecting. My router is right next to my tv though.

Can this be it? I'm trying it so far it's working.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Same problem on my 65" 4K LG, Wi-Fi router is directly below it but it is spotty if it even decides to work. Went back to using an Apple TV because the "smart" TV apps (Netflix/Disney+) sucked and rarely worked.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

No such luck I'm afraid. And my tv is a Smart TV LED 43" Ultra HD 4K LG.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
First thing make sure your ports are forwarded and if you are using 2.4GHZ make your band width is 40MHZ not 20. Second if your router is near any electronics try to make it a foot or more away from others as the interference can cause some devices to not maintain a connection. Last thing is you have a 5G do not default to it if your TV is more than one room over as 5G is meant for close devices.