• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which size should I buy considering my size constraints?

• 48-inch ($1450)

Votes: 32 11.2%
  • 55-inch ($1350)

Votes: 254 88.8%

• Total voters

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Always get as big as you can afford. I've never bought a TV and wished I had got something smaller. The fact it's cheaper makes it a no brainer really. Use the saved cash to buy a desk or what ever, to put the console on

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe hold off for the 42 inch C1 :

I sit about 6.5 feet away from a 65 and I actually had to move my seat back when playing some games that need me to focus on different part of the screens (karaoke in Yakuza Kiwami). I'm back to my original position for other games but couldn't really be comfortable closer.

42" is what I have. Perfect for my space and viewing distance. Not looking to upgrade but if that is 120hz with VRR it's pretty much exactly what I'd have in mind for a new TV.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you can try a custom ultrawide resolution too, thanks to the blacks

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
I have the 48 on a desk that is 72inches across and 28 to 30inches deep. If it is just for console use, your viewing distance would be fine. My chair is only a few feet away when I am playing on consoles. 55 might be a bit much if you only have 4 or 5 ft from the screen. If you use that desk for anything else or want to also use it as a pc monitor, I would suggest even 48 is too big, especially with that depth. Note that the 48 inch stand also sticks out the back a few inches bringing the screen even closer to the front of the desk than you may want.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Here's a pic:

20210427_144929.jpg

That's a 27-inch monitor there for reference.

It will be used for console gaming from several feet back.

that looks like enough room for the 55" to me

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I see myself moving into a more spacious place within 2-3 years.
could you see yourself buying a new/bigger TV in a few years?
this is gonna sound kinda funny, but I just got a 65" CX a few months ago, and i'm dreading the possibility of moving this summer. gonna be such a hassle to move this thing IMO

that said, I would always go bigger if you can. I almost bought a 55" GX instead of 65" CX since the 55 CX was OOS and I felt 65 was too big. I would've regretted the 55 if I got it

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
My room is slightly bigger, but I went with the 55 and I regret not going bigger. One of the best things I ever bought.

lordkosc

Nov 10, 2017
PA
55" C1 from Costco when they eventually get stock is my plan.

I'll be sitting 4 feet away. And it will be glorious.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
55 and use a wall mount or that stand someone else mentioned. Pull the desk back a couple inches, and you're set.
I was in team 48" until you said you might move.
55 or bust!

I'm kinda sorta in a similar boat. I have a tv stand that has walls on all four sides, so a 55" absolutely won't fit, but a 48" or 50" will. The LG is the only tv in that size that has the features I want... But I think I'll just wait until I find a better tv stand.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe hold off for the 42 inch C1 :

I sit about 6.5 feet away from a 65 and I actually had to move my seat back when playing some games that need me to focus on different part of the screens (karaoke in Yakuza Kiwami). I'm back to my original position for other games but couldn't really be comfortable closer.

Is this even coming out this year?

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
If this is for a desk setup then everyone saying 55" is absolutely wrong. Even 48" is too big for most setups, and requires important changes.

img_20200912_163032v2kp7.jpg

This is my setup with the LG CX 48". The only reason this works is because I'm able to pull my desk back ~13" and mount it so it's slightly below desk height. At desk height it would cause neck strain from having to look up. If I could've have gotten a smaller version of this display I would have.

Size is meaningless when at desk distances because you're trying to push it away to get to a field of view that is comfortable. With this setup comfortable is somewhere around 48" distance screen to eye.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
If this is for a desk setup then everyone saying 55" is absolutely wrong. Even 48" is too big for most setups, and requires important changes.

img_20200912_163032v2kp7.jpg

This is my setup with the LG CX 48". The only reason this works is because I'm able to pull my desk back ~13" and mount it so it's slightly below desk height. At desk height it would cause neck strain from having to look up. If I could've have gotten a smaller version of this display I would have.

Size is meaningless when at desk distances because you're trying to push it away to get to a field of view that is comfortable. With this setup comfortable is somewhere around 48" distance screen to eye.

Arulan is correct.

Bigger is NOT always better.

In this case, smaller means higher pixel density, meaning a sharper screen. This is very important for PC monitors.

That's why it's more expensive. It costs more money to shrink pixels than it does having a few extra big ones :)

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You got a source for that claim? I can't find anywhere that says it will actually happen in 2021.
I guess they could always push it out further, but it was announced way back in January so I would assume it comes out this year.

I believe Samsung is also buying panels from LG and will put out various sizes under Samsung branding but idk if they have announced specific models or sizes.

Dec 5, 2017
How do the price on these usually work? When do they start disappearing permanently from shelves? I'm seeing them at Costco for 1850 for a 65 inch (Hulu bonus reduced since I already pay for Hulu) and I'm wondering if I should hold out in hopes for a memorial day sale?

Since it's the 2020 model I'm not clear on when they clear stock.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Have you tried doing something like a cardboard model or applying gaffers tape to the measured areas to help you gauge what the the differences between the two sizes will actually in your room from the seated distance?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Not totally true. LG has gamma issues when utilizing VRR and they also don't support DTS or DTS-HD MA over eARC.
dts isn't so much of an hdmi 2.1/eARC issue, but LG not paying for the licensing fwiw. I don't see them paying up any time either, just something to keep in mind if you want an LG OLED and need DTS. both next gen consoles can internally decode the audio and output as LPCM as well
of course all of this will be easily solved when I can get a reliable hdmi 2.1 avr and bypass arc altogether

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Both versions are a fugly black slab that will destroy any sensibility of interior decoration. I wish I could say something nicer but it was it is. You will probably hate what they look like when you walk by and they're turned off.
Both will make your jaw drop to the floor when you turn them on (and show good 4K Dolby Vision content) though. Given that this is why you buy them, go for the 55 over the 48.

That said, you're talking about a desk. If you're seated at the desk with an office chair, 48 is already ridiculously craning your neck size, so probably that's the size to go for if you're using it as a monitor.

minato

Oct 27, 2017
Does HDR work with a custom ultrawide resolution? I am still trying to decide myself on getting a 48" C1 or a 50" QN90A.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Both versions are a fugly black slab that will destroy any sensibility of interior decoration. I wish I could say something nicer but it was it is. You will probably hate what they look like when you walk by and they're turned off.
Both will make your jaw drop to the floor when you turn them on (and show good 4K Dolby Vision content) though. Given that this is why you buy them, go for the 55 over the 48.

That said, you're talking about a desk. If you're seated at the desk with an office chair, 48 is already ridiculously craning your neck size, so probably that's the size to go for if you're using it as a monitor.

What TVs don't just look like black rectangles when they're off?

As for OP, go smaller. A lot of folks in this thread are just going by bigger=better but based on what you've said and the pictures you've provided I think 55" will be way too big for your space. I'd recommend using cardboard or sticky notes to mark where the TV will be so you can get a better idea of how much space it will take up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I feel I should clarify that I will NOT be using it as a monitor. The desk will basically function like a TV stand - just a flat elevated surface wide enough to fit the TV on top.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I recently made the same decision. I ended up getting rid of my computer desk and putting it on a dresser. I picked up a folding desk to place a few feet way for PC gaming and I can put it away when not in use. It's perfect. So glad I went 55" and almost want a 65" now lol

DdAE111.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I recently made the same decision. I ended up getting rid of my computer desk and putting it on a dresser. I picked up a folding desk to place a few feet way for PC gaming and I can put it away when not in use. It's perfect. So glad I went 55" and almost want a 65" now lol

DdAE111.jpg

Not gonna lie, the 55 inch looks enormous in this picture.

Oct 25, 2017
I have the 48" and using it as a monitor for work and games. I love it, but I wouldn't want to go bigger. If you're using controller, ok you can sit back from the screen a bit. Anything M&K is just too much at that size IMHO.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Anyone have any advice? Wall mounting is sadly not an option.
I have a similar setup to what I think you're trying to do here. I have a PS5 and a PC hooked up to a 55" TV at a desk similar in size to the pic you posted. I have the PS5 behind the right of the TV so I can access the disk tray and ports fairly easily if I need to, and just drape the USB cable plugged into the back of it under the TV for charging if I need it, leaving the front ports empty and accessible. In front of the TV I have my keyboard when it's not in my lap. So there's probably enough room behind and in front of the TV to still fit everything on top of there if you want to keep that side table free.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
dts isn't so much of an hdmi 2.1/eARC issue, but LG not paying for the licensing fwiw. I don't see them paying up any time either, just something to keep in mind if you want an LG OLED and need DTS. both next gen consoles can internally decode the audio and output as LPCM as well
of course all of this will be easily solved when I can get a reliable hdmi 2.1 avr and bypass arc altogether
Sure it's not directly a result of HDMI 2.1 and entirely the fault of LG not paying for the license but it does impact one of the more prominent HDMI 2.1 features with how eARC functions. It's not something people would have guessed to be something to consider until LG did it and most certainly something to be aware of.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
The two options don't make a lot of sense, if you're going for a 48 inch you'd better get a C1 which retails for 1499$.
For the viewing distance I think both sizes actually work with 55 inch being better if you also plan to watch TV on the bed sometime.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
55" is going to be very big from where you're sitting. Don't forget the TV's feet is going to cost you 1/2 a foot or more from the wall.

If you can wait for this years models to go on sale i would do so. MSRP is supposed to go down a bit on all sizes but the smaller 42" and 48" models will be cheaper and fall more in line with the price tier you'd expect.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I currently have the 55" as a secondary screen for my PC and I don't regret it. I tend to agree with the notion that it's hard to go too big in these instances unless the size constraints are truly limiting. At that distance I don't think you would be craning your neck at all even with the 55" and you should get a really immersive picture.