• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Seems like you basically set yourself up for the disappointment by not immediately contacting support. You obviously got a bad unit.

The clicking is apparently an easy fix that I just don't care enough to deal with since I'm fine standing it vertically. The coil whine, though, is incredibly common, and I'm just thankful I got to go my first year with a silent PS5 at least.

Thankfully, I just checked my Amazon Rewards Visa benefits, and it looks like I may qualify for extended warranty with my PS5, so I'll likely start the process later this year, in hopes that Sony better addresses their quality control by then.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
The clicking is apparently an easy fix that I just don't care enough to deal with since I'm fine standing it vertically. The coil whine, though, is incredibly common, and I'm just thankful I got to go my first year with a silent PS5 at least.

Thankfully, I just checked my Amazon Rewards Visa benefits, and it looks like I may qualify for extended warranty with my PS5, so I'll likely start the process later this year, in hopes that Sony better addresses their quality control by then.
That's great news then. Glad you can get it fixed. I don't think I have any coil whine, but then again I don't think I would notice it if I did.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
My PS5 crashes when put into rest mode sometimes even after updates. I'm worried I'm going to need to send it in if I want the ability to use rest mode which is kinda handy.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
With that price of usless repair of a kaputt PS5 better get a brand new PS5 instead + the extra price of just one game you have the price of a new PS5. Not worth repairing with that price at all, Just get another one.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
That sucks. Kind of unfortunate we didn't get an extended warranty offer directly with Sony this time around.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's been suggested yet OP but if you have a solid eBay account you should 100% sell it as broken on eBay and buy a new one.

Take a quick look— they consistently sell for almost $500. Makes sense because the folks that can fix them can then turn them around and sell them for bank.

You'll end up basically breaking even or costing yourself maybe $100.

That is of course if you can get another one for yourself but if you had one at launch you clearly know what you are doing with tactics for buying them online.

Good luck!!

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I'm sorry, that sucks. I went through it back with ps2. I spent every last dime of savings I had on it. They told me it would be over half the price of the console, plus I'd have to pay for shipping. I was like 15 or 16 working like 12 hours a week for $5.15 an hour, may as well told me it was all the money in the world. It was maybe the last time I cried about video games?

I'm assuming I'm looking at March for a fixed console.
Awful. You have ps4 or something to fall back on?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
$325 for a $500 console seems high

Wonder if supply chain issues are driving up the costs of their repairs

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me worry too. Twice in a week I've went to turn on PS5 and got the 'you didn't power off correctly' message then a database repair or whatever.

I'm in the UK so hopefully I would get the warranty up to 2 years but I'd have to deal with fucking GAME.
i no longer keep my playstation in rest mode, due to seeing that message many times despite no change in power supply. it sucks but i don't want a dead console in a few months.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Just reading up on it now, - it gets really complicated, as the consumer you have to prove there is an inherently faulty component when you received it . I don't even know where you would begin with that argument as a consumer.
I guess directing the retailer to that law is a good place to begin.
europa.eu

FAQs|Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your Europe

FAQs - How to claim the 2-year guarantee for EU purchases, get a repair, replacement or refund, how to cancel orders made outside shops (online, by phone, mail order).

Not complicated at all, have you never had to use EU's consumer warranty before?

For physical, non-consumable products if the item gets broken because of your fault (you've dropped it, smashed it, poured water or whatevs): out of luck.

Anything else is fair game and you got your ass covered.

Purchasing fron Amazon is even better because they straight up let you return the item for a new one or get a full refund instead of repairing the item (unless you want to) but obviously that's their own policy and not every consumer's rights.

Even second-hand goods have a minimum 1 year warranty, and you can even agree with the seller to get 2 years in some EU Countries.

europa.eu

Consumer guarantees, warranties, claims and returns - Your Europe

Learn more about your after sales responsibilities, returns, legal guarantees, commercial warranties, and customer claims.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
German here. I have used warranty for countless products over the one year mark and never was asked to prove anything. The "burden of proof on customer" thing for the second year is there in theory only
German here, too. This is my experience as well. Technically the companies could ask the consumer to proof it, but mostly for one reason or the other they just don't bother. I'd imagine some of them don't want to loose a long-term consumer (for the lack of a better word) and risk getting bad word of mouth.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's bullshit. I wouldn't pay it and just try to find a new PS5. Then a couple years down the line try to get it fixed again with what'll hopefully be the lower cost to just cover shipping and whatnot.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
You really should try to negotiate with them. I needed a car repair just out of warranty and I mentioned this and they covered 90%. Obviously not Sony but it's always worth negotiating and complaining.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately, it seems the US just sucks when it comes to customer rights. I had a similar issue with my XBOX X last year. Stopped working 1 week after the year warranty failed. They wanted $250 for the repair of a $399 machine. Decided to just leave it since I was due to get a Series X a month later. Seems like Europe seems to offer a much better level of protection.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Sony doesn't profit on PS5. If they have to replace the main board with the APU---$325 sounds about right.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Not much more to say.

Was playing deathloop and turns the system off and it will only turn on for about half a second (blue light) before turning right back off.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting and nothing helped.

Like I get that it's out of warranty but the repair cost is over half the purchase price. Feels like highway robbery.

Some credit cards will give you an additional 1 year warranty if you used one hopefully. I use my AMEX for big purchases because of that.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Happy I got the 2 year extended warranty. Kinda hoping my PS5 breaks before fall if it's going to die lol.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's that high because of a combination of factors (inflation, chip shortage, etc).

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Not much more to say.

Was playing deathloop and turns the system off and it will only turn on for about half a second (blue light) before turning right back off.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting and nothing helped.

Like I get that it's out of warranty but the repair cost is over half the purchase price. Feels like highway robbery.

That's because it _is_ highway robbery.

I pray my PS5 doesn't kick the bucket soon. All my Sony consoles since PS2 have had issues _just_ after 1 year... PS2 stopped reading DVDs properly, PS3 YLOD, PS4's fans started getting ready for lift off... my PS5 has had minimal use, but I expect it to fear even worse off than its predecessors.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
OP if you bought with a credit card, go the route of claiming credit card warranty, as 99% of credit cards issued (at least here in Canada) have the provision that if purchased with it, the warranty is doubled up to two years.

Mine even has a replacement cost feature (limit of 1300$ per year I believe) where I could literally hammer my PS5 to death and get a new one, provided they receive proof of the original being destroyed lol. Although I think that one may only be a year as well.

I've done the warranty claiming on my card with a tv though, so def try it.
Govt law overrides this every day though, thankfully.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

They don't get to pick their own guarantee periods.
EU is pretty great in regards to consumer rights, at least compared to other places, it would seem.

edit: sorry, I guess many people have already replied to you.

I'd also like to add that I've been worried about the longevity of the PS5 from the moment they reveleaed it's beastly design.
I still maintain it's a horribly put together piece of engineering, in more ways than just how it looks aeasthetically.
Personally, I've relegated it to "exlusives machine" duty until the dust settles and my worries are abated.

Last edited:

Zep

Banned
Jul 12, 2021
I got my PS5 from Walmart on 12/12/20. I paid $58.00 for the 3-Year Allstate Protection Plan. I'm covered until 12/22/23. I got my Xbox Series X from GameStop on 11/19/21. I bought the 3-Year Microsoft Complete for Xbox with Accidental Damage Coverage Plan from Microsoft for $39.00 and I'm covered until 12/26/2024. It's better to be safe than sorry.
I only wish I knew about Microsoft complete when I got my series X. I didn't see that advertised around anywhere and only found out through here.

Sony on the other hand has jack shit when it comes to coverage.