• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
OTTAWA — The Department of National Defence has identified delays in more than 100 planned military purchases and facility upgrades, most of which have flown under the radar as attention has focused on the government's problems buying new fighter jets and warships.

While some of the schedule setbacks revealed by the Defence Department are relatively minor, others are significant, with the delivery dates for new or upgraded equipment — some of which is needed urgently — pushed several years into the future.

Those include new engineering vehicles and machine-guns for the army, new drones for the navy to hunt mines and satellite hookups for its submarines, and upgrades to the air force's aging fighter-jet and surveillance aircraft fleets.
Federal officials have to get better at setting "predictable" schedules when it comes to purchasing new equipment, Troy Crosby, whose job as assistant deputy minister of materiel is to oversee procurement at the Defence Department, acknowledged in an interview.

Yet Crosby believes much of the frustration around military procurement is the result of unrealistic expectations born of a lack of understanding and appreciation for how the system, which is dealing with more projects than at any time in recent history, actually works.

"The complexity of what it takes to bring a new piece of equipment into service is extraordinary, and early, early, early in a process, when we don't even know what it is we're going to buy or from where, there's a lot of uncertainty around those schedules," he told The Canadian Press.
At the same time, Crosby noted that the air force's Buffalo and Hercules airplanes, which have been performing search-and-rescue missions in Canada for decades, continue to operate despite being long past their replacement dates.

"Do we want to get (the Forces) even better equipment so they can be even more effective at the job using modern technology? Yes," said Crosby.

"But the Buffalo and those (search-and-rescue) crews are delivering for Canadians now. So I wouldn't want to leave the impression there that suddenly these capabilities don't work."
Yet there have been several examples in recent years of the military either doing without because equipment got too old to use or the government investing taxpayer dollars to keep old gear going longer than anticipated.

Those include the navy having been without destroyers for the past few years, the government spending nearly $700 million to lease a temporary supply ship and plans to spend more than $1 billion to keep CF-18 fighters from the 1980s flying to 2032.

While some of those problems were caused by political dithering or mismanagement, they nonetheless underscore the real cost of delays.
The list of delayed projects produced by the Defence Department included brief explanations for why each procurement has been delayed. Some, such as the purchase of new machine-guns, related to problems with industry and fell outside government's control.

Others were afflicted with unforeseen technical issues and many of the delays were the result of "detailed schedule analysis" by government officials, suggesting the original timeframes were unrealistic or otherwise inaccurate.

There were also several delays, such as a plan to upgrade the sensors and weapons on the air force's Griffon helicopters, attributed to a shortage of procurement staff and other internal government resources.
Canada's front-line frigates have suffered 10 fire and smoke incidents since 2018
TK_HMCSTorontoFire_original.JPG

There have been 10 shipboard fires or smoke incidents aboard Canada's fleet of front-line frigates over the last two years, according to recently released Department of National Defence summaries and statistics.

The commander of the navy, Vice-Admiral Art McDonald, said the episodes were minor — but they also serve as a stark reminder that the warships, built in the 1990s, are now in the second half of their operational lifespans and will require more attention and upkeep.
"Fire is one of the greatest enemies to ships at sea, or alongside [the dock] in the water," said McDonald, whose staff released a summary of incident reports following an interview with CBC News.

A defence expert went even further and said the string of fires should put heat on the Liberal government to keep the long-planned, often-delayed frigate replacement program on track.

Only a handful of the fires were reported publicly. McDonald was asked about them after CBC News collected a series of anecdotal reports from individual sailors about instances that had gone unreported.
The summaries reveal one of the warships, HMCS Regina, experienced multiple fires — two in the fall of 2018 and another in the spring of 2019 — while conducting "at-sea readiness training in preparation for an upcoming deployment to the Asia Pacific."

The same warship suffered a fourth "smoke incident" last fall when a faulty transformer in a forward electrical switchboard began to smoulder.

HMCS Calgary and HMCS Toronto experienced two fires each over that two-year period, all of which rated public mentions at the time.

HMCS Halifax, the oldest frigate in the fleet, also suffered two fires; the more significant one broke out in the engine room during the fall of 2018 while the frigate was participating in the NATO exercise Trident Juncture.
McDonald said the causes of the other fires were all identified, and the navy is confident it does not have a "systematic" issue on its hands.

"They are different sources, different locations," he said.

"There's the gamut. Fires happen. We're prepared for them. But especially in the second half of life for vessels, you want to make sure we are taking extra time; we're giving it the extra attention it deserves and there's nothing systematic in there we need to address."
Rob Huebert, a defence expert at the University of Calgary, said all warships are inherently dangerous places to work and fires have the potential to "kill real quick," especially at sea.

"A lot of the fires will start real small, but the problem is they get big real fast" in that kind of heavy machinery setting, he said.

Sailors are well-trained and "super, super sensitive" to the potential danger, Huebert added.
He said he's comforted to know the navy has found no systematic issues, but said the real lesson from this disturbing trend should be for the federal government and senior decision-makers, who are in the process of laying down the design for the warships that will replace the frigates.

The replacements are due to begin arriving in the mid-2020s. Huebert said the fire incidents illustrate the importance of moving the project along.

The frigates "are starting to get pretty long in the tooth. They are by no means obsolete, but you will not be able to push off their replacement" the way successive governments have done with fighter jets, he said. "We cannot lag on this one."

If you want my take on all this please refer to:

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Personal Attack; Prior Ban for Similar Behavior
The fact that you made dozens of threads about this is almost... sad.

I feel sorry for you

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You got the US as a neighbor to do all of the warring for ya. You'll be fine, bruv.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
You got the US as a neighbor to do all of the warring for ya. You'll be fine, bruv.
Canada, and many of our other allies, spent far too long under the security blanket of the U.S., assuming that it would exist forever. One issue that U.S. President Donald Trump has been consistently right on, at least in big picture terms, is that the U.S. is underwriting the national defence of countries that can absolutely afford to see to more of their own security. Yes, the U.S. has benefited tremendously from its dominant leadership of the West, but we cannot take as a given that that will always be so, even if the Trump presidency is a historic aberration. Isolationism and a skepticism toward international alliances did not begin with President Trump, and we cannot assume they will end with him, whenever that end arrives.

Canada will never be a military juggernaut. But we don't need to be. There are only two missions we need to be ready for: to assert our sovereignty, with force, if necessary, over our own territory (on land, sea or air) and to assist allies abroad, in a substantial and sustainable way. Canada, today, can probably do a passable job at one of those missions at a time — and even then, only barely.

But you've read this all before. I've been saying it for years. Something will eventually knock us out of our complacency — and it'll take more than a letter from Washington, sadly. I hope the blow isn't too painful when it comes. When it does, we won't be able to say we weren't warned.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
I say we either get with modernizing our forces or abandon it altogether.. why are we putting them in harms way by forcing the use of obsolete equipment?

The way the US is right now, would they even defend our sovereignty from Russia in the North? Maybe the rest of NATO.. Maybe.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I am sorry why the fuck do we need to waste money on a modern military in canada when there are so many more things that can use those funds. Does canada need to project power around the globe like us does OP?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I say we either get with modernizing our forces or abandon it altogether.. why are we putting them in harms way by forcing the use of obsolete equipment?

The way the US is right now, would they even defend our sovereignty from Russia in the North? Maybe the rest of NATO.. Maybe.
C'mon

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Northern territory that we barely cling to. I'm not sure the US gives a damn tbh.. They probably want it for resources themselves really.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Canada does not need a huge military when you have the largest military force as a neighbor. Trump stupidity aside they will never invade Canada ever.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry why the fuck do we need to waste money on a modern military in canada when there are so many more things that can use those funds. Does canada need to project power around the globe like us does OP?

I think the issue is that the Canadian military is barely capable of "projecting power" over the country's own territory at this point.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Warmongering? Spare me. What country am I advocating aggression against?

I am merely pointing out that Canada with its deficient equipment is currently incapable of asserting its own sovereignty over its own territory. The vast majority of our equipment dates back to the Cold War. Wanting a modern military does not mean I am advocating for imperialistic adventurism.

There have been enough news stories about helicopters and jets falling out of the sky already that wanting our servicemen and women to have at least safe operational equipment is suddenly too much to ask?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I'm pretty sure the US would be the most likely to defend Canada if it ever came to that.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
We pay enough taxes for inadequate social services as it is, thanks but no thanks. This is what alliances are for, as long as we contribute appropriately to those alliances.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I am merely pointing out that Canada with its deficient equipment is currently incapable of asserting its own sovereignty over its own territory.

First Nations people might have something to say about that.

In a world of contemporary alliances and superpowers, a national military is less relevant to the sovereignty of post-industrial countries. And "asserting sovereignty" internally through military means sounds... well, it sounds pretty fascistic. The safety aspect I'd grant you.

Last edited:

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
That leads to stupid shit like detaining Huawei execs to satisfy blackmailing scams for people like Trump.
So too do free trade agreements.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the US, Russia, China and many other militaries of world could easily invade Canada if they so desired without fear of allies, regardless of how much money was thrown at the Canadian military. Canada is a country of 37 million competing against countries with 10 times that at a minimum and militaries 30 times the size. All military spend from Canada is simply a show of contribution to its allies, it's meaningless in the event of protecting our sovereignty, it's the equivalent of bringing a water gun to war.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
As an American if Canadians are fine with staying as incredibly close allies to the U.S. and want to keep the great relationship both of us have. Then I would not worry too much. We have been working closely with each other since WW1 and I doubt that this relationship will ever change.

If Canadians want to pivot and secure their borders on their own that is fine too. Just know it is going to be incredibly costly and difficult to set up the right systems.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just posting to say I didn't realise "slagging" was a term outside the UK

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
op's correct and we should really stop free-riding off of the US and seriously attempt to meet our NATO defense obligations

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the US, Russia, China and many other militaries of world could easily invade Canada if they so desired without fear of allies, regardless of how much money was thrown at the Canadian military. Canada is a country of 37 million competing against countries with 10 times that at a minimum and militaries 30 times the size. All military spend from Canada is simply a show of contribution to its allies, it's meaningless in the event of protecting our sovereignty, it's the equivalent of bringing a water gun to war.

The issue is that since the equipment being used now is becoming a liability there are two options, keep up the facade by updating equipment or openly cede protection of the country to our allies. Even if we do the latter, we also know how the other countries runs its military base protection racket across the world so the money is going to spent either way.

Not that it's as easy as building and buying better equipment when every single attempt has been a disaster in the past.

Last edited:

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
Meh. There's no need for a traditional Canadian military IMO. I mean, Russia has essentially destroyed the USA without even firing a bullet.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue in the coming years will be asserting sovereignty over the Northwest Passage. Those waterways are interior waterways for Canada, if they can't defend them then they'll lose them and big chunks of their territory in the process.

Right now the US has a policy of treating the Northwest Passage as an international waterway, meaning Canada has no control over it beyond environmental, safety, fishing, and smuggling laws but they wouldn't be able to close the passage, stop or inspect ships without cause, or otherwise control it.

Canada's only solution in my opinion is to get the US on board with it being Canadian waters by coming to agreement to allow US shipping to use the lanes without cost (assuming environmental and safety laws are followed) in exchange for further fortifying Fortress North America and backing Canada's sovereignty claims.

Last edited:

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
there's something incredibly sad about spending all your free time complaining about not having enough big boy guns to point at those scary ruskies. is this a new form of the midlife crisis?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to write a thread criticizing the Canadian government's armed officers I recommend a thread about RCMP invading unceded Indigenous territory

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The issue is that since the equipment being used now is becoming a liability there are two options, keep up the facade by updating equipment or openly cede protection of the country to our allies. Even if we do the latter, we also know how the other countries runs its military base protection racket across the world so the money is going to spent either way.

Not that it's as easy as building and buying better equipment when every single attempt has been a disaster in the past.
Right but it is a facade regardless of investment.

I'm not saying we stop investing in our military but it's ridiculous to suggest any amount of spend would protect our sovereignty, our strength will always be dependent on our allies.

The value in spending on our military is investing money in buying arms from our allies, not from the arms themselves. This is exactly why Trump is pushing increases in NATO spending because he knows the money floods into their economy.

Regardless of military spending we aren't fooling adversaries, we could quadruple military spending and it'd mean we'd fend them off for 10-20% longer. It's meaningless in the end.

We aren't on an island, we're attached to the worlds most powerful military. You maintain that relationship and your sovereignty is protected, upgrading some planes and ships will do nothing. The actual problem is keeping Cheeto Mussolini happy, who is unreliable in demands on a daily basis, we could spend 30% of our GDP on military and he'd complain about milk.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Right but it is a facade regardless of investment.

I'm not saying we stop investing in our military but it's ridiculous to suggest any amount of spend would protect our sovereignty, our strength will always be dependent on our allies.

The value in spending on our military is investing money in buying arms from our allies, not from the arms themselves. This is exactly why Trump is pushing increases in NATO spending because he knows the money floods into their economy.

Regardless of military spending we aren't fooling adversaries, we could quadruple military spending and it'd mean we'd fend them off for 10-20% longer. It's meaningless in the end.

We aren't on an island, we're attached to the worlds most powerful military. You maintain that relationship and your sovereignty is protected, upgrading some planes and ships will do nothing. The actual problem is keeping Cheeto Mussolini happy, who is unreliable in demands on a daily basis, we could spend 30% of our GDP on military and he'd complain about milk.

I didn't mean facade in the sense that it's tricking would be invading nations because yea, a few more ships isn't going to fool anyone. Maybe I'm just naive but I meant more the things like NATO which is a bad relic of the cold war but is also that one step removed from actually ceding control by maintaining that formality. We're inextricably linked to the US and giving up the ghost means being more dependent on the whims of what goes on down south.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if I see the point in updating conventional military technology when it is unlikely to ever benefit our position in some future engagement. We need good search and rescue, monitoring and surveillance, but combat systems? Why? Who could we meaningfully support or deter? A lot of this seems like just trying to keep archaic systems operable to satisfy traditionalists.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Canada works better as a manufacturing safe haven or bread basket for any major war. Or at least it used to. A modern major war between big powers would be fucked.

Equipment should be maintained at a basic light self-defense, operations support and emergency response level though.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. I would rather have taxes give me some dental coverage than go to some military shit that wouldn't protect us against superpowers anyway.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Canada needs to get its act together on this and I appreciate you bringing this up often. The people criticizing you clearly have no idea how negligent our government is concerning our military. It's a huge fucking problem.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Feels our nation, for the all resources we have to offer, especially fresh water, should ensure that it can defend itself.

The biggest issue in the coming years will be asserting sovereignty over the Northwest Passage. Those waterways are interior waterways for Canada, if they can't defend them then they'll lose them and big chunks of their territory in the process.

Right now the US has a policy of treating the Northwest Passage as an international waterway, meaning Canada has no control over it beyond environmental, safety, fishing, and smuggling laws but they wouldn't be able to close the passage, stop or inspect ships without cause, or otherwise control it.

Canada's only solution in my opinion is to get the US on board with it being Canadian waters by coming to agreement to allow US shipping to use the lanes without cost (assuming environmental and safety laws are followed) in exchange for further fortifying Fortress North America and backing Canada's sovereignty claims.

According to maritime law, Exclusive Economic Zone of Canada stretches from baseline stretches from coastline to seaward for 200nm. So, in essence, aside from the gentlemen's agreement to let sleeping dogs lie, that waterway is mostly Canada's burden to bear especially if shit hits the fan in terms of pollutants and probable environmental disasters down the line.

A binding and mutually beneficial agreement should be considered and I hope our country does not get bullied into royally getting fucked by your government, especially given Mike Pompeo, another utter fucking degenerate shit-eater filth publicly asserts that my country's claim to NW passage is "illegitimate".

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Canada needs to get its act together on this and I appreciate you bringing this up often. The people criticizing you clearly have no idea how negligent our government is concerning our military. It's a huge fucking problem.
If it weren't for me bringing it up in "all of my free time", it wouldn't be brought up at all. Chronic underfunding of the military is a problem that all federal parties are reponsible for.

But that's the way we like it seems. We pretend the military doesn't exist and is of little to no importance because it doesn't directly affect our daily lives except for the one token gesture of acknowledgment that is Remembrance Day.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Canada needs to spend a lot more on their Coastguard and Navy. That's about it.