• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So often my 2yo daughter says something and I don't understand so I repeat back options to her and she just gets so frustrated with me like I'm the dumbest person alive.

Eventually this is going to start hurting my feelings.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
To be serious for a moment here, I never had any issues with my now five year old niece, and I practically raised her from childbirth. I don't understand these vocabulary issues at all 🤷‍♂️

My other niece, on the other hand, is a bit hard to understand because her vocabulary and pronunciation is all over the place. I need my older niece to translate 'baby talk' for me.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Most likely saw something on TV and doesn't know what it's called so just called it the baby box. Good luck solving the puzzle OP.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
My kid has been losing their shit all day with not being able to "roll the baby box". We're in the terrible 2s and literally none of our favorite things or activities are doing anything for this latest outburst.

They keep demanding to roll the baby box and i have 0 fucking clue what that even means.
My wife suggested this: is your wife/partner pregnant? If so, could it have something to do with her belly?

If she's not pregnant...are you sure she's not pregnant? ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing constructive to add, of course.

But that one (perhaps fake) screenshot of the kid replying to their parent's messageboard post almost twenty years on about skateboards or something being dangerous just came to mind. In a few years we'll have a sequel thread to this.

And then we will all suffer find out.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday, my kids were playing "ice cream stand" in the front hall, complete with a turned over box for the stand and cups with crumpled up paper for the ice cream.

Fighting (of course) broke out, and my daughter came into the kitchen on the verge of tears and said "he's trying to steal my business out from under me".

Me busting out laughing did not help the situation.

Bahahahaha

LOL reminds me of my toddler son FREAKING OUT demanding bacon, but angrily rejecting it when we gave him some. Turns out he had mixed up the words for pancakes and bacon. The pancakes were under a towel right next to the bacon. We must have seemed very cruel, giving him the wrong thing 😅

Ohhh man these are gold. 😆

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
My kid has been losing their shit all day with not being able to "roll the baby box". We're in the terrible 2s and literally none of our favorite things or activities are doing anything for this latest outburst.

They keep demanding to roll the baby box and i have 0 fucking clue what that even means. I feel like we've shown them literally every object we or the in-laws possess in the world and nothing matches the baby box, we don't do unsupervised screen time and what we do watch is Bluey and Sesame Street so it's not some weird thing the algorithm puked out. I'm sure at this point I'll never know what a baby box is or how you roll it.

It's so hard not to break out laughing when they demand it, I'm modeling working through the feelings of disappointment when you can't get what you want, but man I'm looking forward to joking to them about this when they're an adult.

When my youngest brother was 3ish, he kept saying at a Chinese restaurant that he didn't want anything "stinky/sticky". We couldn't tell what the hell word it was that he was trying to say but he even got to the point of turning red. Haha.

I let him have a sip from my can of dr pepper and he shut up and calmed down. Haha.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

They keep demanding to roll the baby box and i have 0 fucking clue what that even means. I feel like we've shown them literally every object we or the in-laws possess in the world and nothing matches the baby box, we don't do unsupervised screen time and what we do watch is Bluey and Sesame Street so it's not some weird thing the algorithm puked out. I'm sure at this point I'll never know what a baby box is or how you roll it.

It's so hard not to break out laughing when they demand it, I'm modeling working through the feelings of disappointment when you can't get what you want, but man I'm looking forward to joking to them about this when they're an adult.
Do they mean dice? Maybe they have seen you play a board game and think the dice are little baby boxes?

Oct 27, 2017
My niece is almost 4 and she can still be like that sometimes. Oddly insistent and upset that she doesn't get to do something. And none of us are sure exactly what she's saying.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
(Could be an alternate form of baby shark that was heard via youtube)

there are millions of alternate versions on there....so...damn...many

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I'm sure you've already thought of it or it's been suggested but maybe a pram/stroller?

Does your (frankly hilarious) kid go to nursery? Maybe something there??

"WHERE HAVE YOU SEEN THE BABY BOX?" And brace yourself for something unexpected.

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Has your kid been sneaking videos for MMA fighting for babies?

Other than that, +1 for is it the stroller? Or did they ever have one of those circle things with wheels on it? You stick the kiddo in it and they can run around while the ring around them keeps everything else out of arm's reach.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Over here we call a playpen a baby box. But I do not recommend rolling it and definitely not with the baby in it.

Have you tried asking in Brad Pitt voice: WhAt Is ThE bOx!?

Last edited:

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Maybe it's something kiddo nicknamed that that makes sense in baby speech.

My middle son had a favorite blanket. It took us forever to figure the blanket was named "rubber duck" for some reason. It has yellow in it? Like to this day it's still "rubber duck" even though he's 16 and doesn't really use it anymore lol

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
what about a jack in the box? You roll the crank and out pops a little person (like a baby)

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's something kiddo nicknamed that that makes sense in baby speech.

My middle son had a favorite blanket. It took us forever to figure the blanket was named "rubber duck" for some reason. It has yellow in it? Like to this day it's still "rubber duck" even though he's 16 and doesn't really use it anymore lol

We had a sprawling pine shrubbery near our house, and when there was snow piled up around it we could build stations in it and pretend we were on a spaceship like the Millennium Falcon. So naturally we called it... the Speeder Bike. It remained the Speeder Bike for over a decade until we had to cut it down.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
There's a character named baby box in the Netflix series, gabbys dollhouse

It's not in your list of shows so maybe they saw it at an in laws idk

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where Idle Thumbs still exists, "Roll the Baby Box" would have almost certainly been an episode title by now.

In the episode Nick refers to opening a pay to win loot box as "rolling the baby box" as he describes falling down a rabbit hole in some game. Jake can be heard saying "roll the baby box" in the background.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Baby box | Parent Club

The Baby Box helps families prepare for the arrival of their baby. New babies need a surprising amount of stuff! Scotland’s Baby Box is packed full of clothes, bedding and lots of other useful things to help give your baby the best possible start in life. The Box also provides a safe and comfy...

Yesterday, my kids were playing "ice cream stand" in the front hall, complete with a turned over box for the stand and cups with crumpled up paper for the ice cream.

Fighting (of course) broke out, and my daughter came into the kitchen on the verge of tears and said "he's trying to steal my business out from under me".

Good! Capitalism would laugh at her as well if she complained like that!

Son be like:

good-business.gif

Oct 27, 2017

😂😂😂😂

Dec 30, 2020
I can only imagine it's like a hamster ball for babies, but box shaped so they can't roll it around and get into trouble.

...and I now realize I'm describing a baby-cage.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
When I was a kid I was absolutely beside myself when I lost a toy during a move. I'd ask my mom for the "dark blue flying monster" every day. I'd ask if we could return to the old house to look for the "dark blue flying monster." It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned it was a blue MUSCLE figurine with wings. My mom got me one on eBay for Christmas and told me what the maker/line of toys was actually called.
Sounds a bit like a certain Ambien thread from the old place.
This was my thought too! Love sentences like these

Good news everyone! We found out what rolling the baby box is!

The baby box is when we take an old shoe box and fill it with toys, rolling it is when we then dump it out onto the bed or carpet.
Wow, how did you figure it out?

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Congrats on discovering the meaning! Communicating with toddlers is like making first contact with an alien species sometimes. :p

OP
OP
RetroRunner

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
You have absolutely no idea how satisfying that explanation is.
I have some idea.

I can't imagine the decryption methods you had to use to achieve that result. Congrats!
Wow, how did you figure it out?

Credit goes to my wife. I told her the ideas posted in here and she was like No none of those sound right. Then she just guessed that it was the shoe box full of toys, this morning we confirmed it.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good news everyone! We found out what rolling the baby box is!

The baby box is when we take an old shoe box and fill it with toys, rolling it is when we then dump it out onto the bed or carpet.
Damn, my four year old still creates a baby box and rolls it out every now and then. Unfortunately he rolls it out downstairs and hates picking up the mess he's made.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
My boy lost his shit the other day about finding a "birdie spinner" on our walk. Apparently something he saw on a previous outing but absolutely no clue what it means. Maybe it comes from the same universe as the hypothetical baby box?