• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Which I thought would be fine.

" OK, i'll just start making my way through some more Outer Worlds"...

double click on desktop, nothing. "Ah fuck, do I need the internet to connect to it...? Oh yeah, I guess Epic Games store?"

Then i realize I can't access skyrim either (way late to the party on that) since I have it on steam. So long story short i'm for the first time realizing that i can't play any of the single player/offline games i have without internet, which kind of sucks. Is there some sort of setting I can tick on these apps or something? Is this just how it is?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the internet isn't playing video games, the true internet was all the friends you made along the way

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

thanks, thought there might be something although this is disappointing

SACEtuC.jpg

time to see how steam treats me

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can play steam in offline mode.
Yeah, as long as you launched the game once after installing, single player stuff should work in offline mode.
thanks, thought there might be something although this is disappointing

SACEtuC.jpg

time to see how steam treats me
Weird. That error looks like it's coming from the game, not Steam. Is Steam running in offline mode? It will usually notify you when it switches over.

edit: Oh yeah, this isn't even on Steam yet.

Last edited:

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
Some of us have old plans that don't allow tethering (and like our old plans and tethering is not enough of a dealkiller to get us off it).

Wow I never knew you had to pay for tethering. Don't think that's the case in the UK. Think every contract has it built in.

is that just a US thing I'm assuming??

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Wow I never knew you had to pay for tethering. Don't think that's the case in the UK. Think every contract has it built in.

It's a AT&T is nice enough to grandfather plans but at the same time they really don't want me on this plan so they don't offer tethering and have a newer plane that does (but would be more expensive for me). Basically they refuse to offer any new feature or plan feature unless I get off the plan. But at least have been nice enough to not outright stop offering the plan entirely (probably because they would rather keep me ultimately than get me on a new plan. And yes, if they remove that plan t-mobile has the best current plan for me so I would be changing).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah mine was offline a few days ago and it was a bit of a hassle to get Uplay launch in Offline mode and in Steam VR all the icons where gone and replaced with the steam logo, which was really confusing. It still works to play most games offline, but those systems are clearly design for always online.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

Correct. I've tried tethering a few times and it always says "checking subscriber status" first. It's included in my plan as of 2018 but wasn't for years before that.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you have to pay for it, its a software function on the phone. It basically creates a virtual router that forward all requests and response between phone and PC.
Is this blocked for you in Your phone? First i heard that you need to pay for it.

---
Correct. I've tried tethering a few times and it always says "checking subscriber status" first. It's included in my plan as of 2018 but wasn't for years before that.
Tethering via USB is also blocked?

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pay? For what? You just connect your phone via USB and enable one option in the phone and you have internet on your PC.
Does this work for iPhones? I know its technically possible to do this via a wired connection but I always figured all Personal Hotspot stuff was considered tethering by your ISP so they'd still charge for it.

edit: I'm in the USA. ISPs are terrible.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Wait the US ISPs block you from sharing your phone internet? That's pathetic.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Where do you live? Because US carriers don't allow that. You have to pay for this feature.

It's definitely standard in the UK. Don't know anyone who can't tether from their phone. My wife's on some dirt cheap sim only deal that she pays like £6 a month for and she tethers her phone to her laptop all the time if she doesn't have wifi. I don't think any carrier/deal blocks it here.

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
It's a AT&T is nice enough to grandfather plans but at the same time they really don't want me on this plan so they don't offer tethering and have a newer plane that does (but would be more expensive for me). Basically they refuse to offer any new feature or plan feature unless I get off the plan. But at least have been nice enough to not outright stop offering the plan entirely (probably because they would rather keep me ultimately than get me on a new plan. And yes, if they remove that plan t-mobile has the best current plan for me so I would be changing).

That honestly sucks so much. Obviously do what's best for you but tethering has got me out of so many little issues (e.g what OP is in). Especially as its free to use your phone data all over Europe.

Its always nice to be able to use my laptop all over Europe.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

we used to have to pay for tethering but i think it's standard now. i'm with giffgaff and when i first joined i couldn't tether but it's included now. i use my phones 4G to connect online with my Switch when i'm out or let my PC connect to the internet through my phone when the wifi is down.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
You can tether your phone. Plenty of apps (on Android) that help you bypass and restrictions.

Dec 8, 2018
America and it's ISP's truly are awful I could never have guessed not allowing someone to use their phone as a hotspot would even be imaginable by a company....

Nov 14, 2017

For a while I'm pretty certain it was against TOS for most carriers in the UK, so if you phoned them up and complained about tethering performance they'd tell you it wasn't supported. They were basically trying to push people towards mobile broadband.

Now I don't think any of them care and explicitly allow it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Always a fun time when I'm reminded that people in the US have to pay for tethering. One of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

If it wasn't for this forum, I would never have known it was even possible to charge for it!

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'd say go outside, but lol no.

Edit: I love these threads where our family across the pond can't fathom how backwards the US here is lol.