• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I know this may be an unpopular opinion but god is AC7 boring (besides the utter fail that was AH). I literally feel like it's the most boring AC I have ever played. It looks and feels spectacular with some nostalgia (due to some missions)... but something about it... it doesn't feel as developed as the PS2 Trilogy. It's been a month and I haven't touched it on Steam. I also have the PS4 version because I wanted AC5 (still amazing mind you). AC7 is so boring I can't even remember the protags name... I am 2 missions away from finishing the game, but I can't seem to do it... if anything will push me to finish it, it will probably be to hear the music for the last mission (the only place the whole game has shined so far is the OST as usual).

Mind you I'm a huge AC fan and have played them all except for Ace Combat 22 (Arcade) and AC3 US Version out of choice. Is something wrong with me or this one really that uninteresting? Heck, I'll take Mobius, Blaze or Cipher back any day... the PS2 Trilogy set a standard I can't get over.

Yellow 13 is probably my fav AC Character of all time. I wish I could get a whole campaign on him.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad you didn't end up enjoying it, but it happens sometimes!

I personally loved it and am super glad to have AC back and soaring.

And yeah, the OST is the bee's knees.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's one of the best in the series and am not sure what you find boring about it

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I'm not with you at all.

I was super excited about AC7 just because I wanted a true Ace Combat game again. I knew that if it was in the same spirit of AC5, we'd have a winner on our hands.

And it absolutely is a true AC game.

Did AC7 have as strong an impact on me as AC5 did? Maybe not. But I can honestly say that I felt joy playing through every single mission in the game. Except the desert level, maybe...

We got exciting, challenging missions. We got anime as fuck story. We got amazing music. We got excellent graphics and the superb plane physics that the series has always had.

And VR. Oh my bloody God. The VR mode.

I can see how it wont be a lot of people's favourite in the series, but as a return of a much loved franchise, it was still a triumph as far as I'm concerned.

I sincerely hope we get another from this development team in the years ahead.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
I could go into a long discussion on my many problems with the story, which as nice as it is for a return to form Strangereal game is I think the weakest part. As for the gameplay, the biggest thing I wish would change is shorter missions that don't completely flip what your role is. You do not send a squadron out on a ground pounding mission and then have enemy fighters fly in and say "It's up to you alone in your A-10 to take out a dozen of these supernaturally maneuverable drones fighters!" You certainly don't do it 5 times. At the end of the game, I look over which of the missions I want to replay again and find myself going.... No, no, not that one, that one is fun until this part, no, yeah that one is fun, never that one again.... and end up with only 4-5 missions I ever want to play again that don't mess with your targeting, or instant-fail stealth sections.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
What about AC5 is different than AC7 for you? I played through AC7 first, then AC5, and I found while AC5 had squadrom commands, I found the QoL improvements, unique special weapons, and OST to be superior to 5. (Note though my absolute top AC will always be Zero)

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I think it's one of the best in the series and am not sure what you find boring about it

Are you able to pinpoint why you found it so boring?

Got this from Reddit:

It's extremely weird how they handle the Harding stuff. I thought there'd be some conspiracy stuff where you were framed by someone and finding out who and why would have been part of the plot...

...but no, it's just a dumb accident, one mission you're flying with the penal unit and the next they've taken another look at the whole thing and suddenly you're innocent to the eyes of the world. At least McKinsey tells you about it so it doesn't come completely out of nowhere, but this kind of story doesn't really work with a featureless protagonist. You can't know their feelings about their role in Harding's death or their time in the penal squadron or basically anything so why should you care?

It could have been interesting to explore that part of the plot more. Maybe you weren't set up, but the brass found it more useful for the people's morale and the war effort to throw you in jail to "avenge" Harding's death. There's some interesting directions this could have gone in.

Other than that by Mission 14... I'm like uh... why should I care... this wasn't really the best world building AC so far even though I hope AC's come out in Strangereal all the time. It just isn't polished in my eyes on the Narrative end.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
I think the mission briefings are a major fault of the game too. Having grown up with X-Wing / Tie Fighter, Crimson Skies PC, Freespace games, etc, those briefings give you very good ideas of what your role is, and what possible things might happen. You are after these specific tanks, or cargo crates, coming in from the east. Subtle hints that enemy squadrons are in the area, or the last convoy went missing, or that they are only sort of sure that the enemy base defenses will be down give you the basic mission, and prepare you for the unexpected.

I go into Ace Combat 7 missions and wonder what my role was again? Not that it matters, in 3-4 minutes a plot event happens that is opposite of your craft load out anyway.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story is kinda weak and bounces around way too suddenly but otherwise the game was perfect imo. Exceeded my expectations by a lot.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I'm playing it right now, and while it's fun to play and it's amazing to look at, the story just kinda sucks.

I don't know, AC5 really set the bar for me, and I was really looking forward to 7, but it's just not doing it for me right now.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I think the mission briefings are a major fault of the game too. Having grown up with X-Wing / Tie Fighter, Crimson Skies PC, Freespace games, etc, those briefings give you very good ideas of what your role is, and what possible things might happen. You are after these specific tanks, or cargo crates, coming in from the east. Subtle hints that enemy squadrons are in the area, or the last convoy went missing, or that they are only sort of sure that the enemy base defenses will be down give you the basic mission, and prepare you for the unexpected.

I go into Ace Combat 7 missions and wonder what my role was again? Not that it matters, in 3-4 minutes a plot event happens that is opposite of your craft load out anyway.

Totally agree, that was so annoying knowing at the starting you're starting with lower point aircraft and shitty parts (oh wait that was always a thing but usually by the end you had really good aircraft), it's probably the first AC I ran out of missiles for the long ass levels.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I had issues with it in terms of mission design that felt dated and sometimes unfair and I ended up being lost by the finer points in the story but I still came out liking the game.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thinking it was going to reach the heights of the PS2 trilogy was your first mistake. It is still a great Ace Combat game IMO.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
It is a masterpiece of a game. After finishing it, I bought 4, 5 and zero, and I am soon to finish 4. What I found out about 7, is that it a try to its origins. Prior to 7, I played the original, 3, and 6.

Congrats on buying the Holy Trinity, you will remember these experiences forever. I think I love 4 and 0 about the same.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Got this from Reddit:

It's extremely weird how they handle the Harding stuff. I thought there'd be some conspiracy stuff where you were framed by someone and finding out who and why would have been part of the plot...

...but no, it's just a dumb accident, one mission you're flying with the penal unit and the next they've taken another look at the whole thing and suddenly you're innocent to the eyes of the world. At least McKinsey tells you about it so it doesn't come completely out of nowhere, but this kind of story doesn't really work with a featureless protagonist. You can't know their feelings about their role in Harding's death or their time in the penal squadron or basically anything so why should you care?

It could have been interesting to explore that part of the plot more. Maybe you weren't set up, but the brass found it more useful for the people's morale and the war effort to throw you in jail to "avenge" Harding's death. There's some interesting directions this could have gone in.

Other than that by Mission 14... I'm like uh... why should I care... this wasn't really the best world building AC so far even though I hope AC's come out in Strangereal all the time. It just isn't polished in my eyes on the Narrative end.

What? It's pretty clear you were framed. They talk about it in the game. Your IFF was hacked.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Sorry to hear you didn't like it. While I don't think it's one of the best in the series, I thought it was still pretty good. My only real complaint would be how limited the VR implementation was.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I love the game but now that the honeymoon period is over here are some real issues:

The Penal Unit and drama/intrigue with Bandog, as far fetched as the idea of penal jet fighters even in this world is, could have really been something. every line of Bandogs and the volatile chemistry between him and the Penal squad is utter gold.

Then it gets trashed for a genuinely poorly written story for the rest of it.

The gameplay is probbaly the games biggest issue, as while it's great it doesn't change much at all from previous games. We've faced giant sky fortresses and ace pilots that just spam high-g turns many times. The drones are just monotonous to fight, have no real fear or tension and once you've faced the swarms once you seen all they have to offer.

And it gets compounded by the fact that there's a few things from the portable games do that I would liked to have seen like alternate mission paths and optional-missions and so on.

I also dislike how every single level has a twist that is almost always just "Oh look, drones!". It removes any tactical element in mission planning as you're just gonna go with the best fighter and rely on normal missiles to take out ground targets.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to it but the gameplay just isn't fun and neither are the missions.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't agree at all and Ace Combat is one of my most beloved franchises.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I LOVED the moment to moment situations but I was a bit disappointed in the way the story was conveyed. I think about this game a lot though lol

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Don't agree at all and Ace Combat is one of my most beloved franchises.

It is mine too, but this one is a serious miss. I guess I'll finish it first to reserve proper judgement, but this was a slog to play so far.

What? It's pretty clear you were framed. They talk about it in the game. Your IFF was hacked.

Literally saw this a mile coming obviously. I had more fun playing with the spare squad personally and the chemistry with AWACS Bandog. "Trigger" (yes I googled the name) is so forgetfull in my mind though.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It is mine too, but this one is a serious miss. I guess I'll finish it first to reserve proper judgement, but this was a slog to play so far.

The story is fairly weak, but everything is objectively great.
Easy contender for OST of the year
Incredible visuals
Good mission variety
Solid core gameplay
Engaging online MP

My only real complaints is I wanted even more high stress missions with severe weather. Make me fly in a zero visibility blizzard dodging radar circles even!

Oh, and the lack of the Coop score attack mode from Infinity.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I really like AC7 but there are some really crappy missions in the mix. Especially the sand one...

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
The story is fairly weak, but everything is objectively great.
Easy contender for OST of the year
Incredible visuals
Good mission variety
Solid core gameplay
Engaging online MP

My only real complaints is I wanted even more high stress missions with severe weather. Make me fly in a zero visibility blizzard dodging radar circles even!

Oh, and the lack of the Coop score attack mode from Infinity.

I totally agree with you, but what makes AC differentiate with every other game out there in this genre is literally its narrative, world building, character interaction, love for context of the super weapons and of course its anti war messages... every explanation for anything in the game felt so weak... the rest of everything Bandai Namco for AC is always done well. Kono did a great job besides the Story and it's just not motivating me enough to care about why I should be caring about Trigger. Heck, Slash and Edge from AC2 have more personality than this guy...

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
Ah, that makes sense. I really dislike when games aren't clear about my objectives or how to do something.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I totally agree with you, but what makes AC differentiate with every other game out there in this genre is literally its narrative, world building, character interaction, love for context of the super weapons and of course its anti war messages... every explanation for anything in the game felt so weak... the rest of everything Bandai Namco for AC is always done well. Kono did a great job besides the Story and it's just not motivating me enough to care about why I should be caring about Trigger. Heck, Slash and Edge from AC2 have more personality than this guy...

I can understand that to an extent, but I think you are being overly negative. I even feel like the characters
and radio chatter were really well done here. The only part that I felt really missed the mark was the princess plotline. AC games
tend to have a separate plotline which runs parallel that ties together a lot of the themes in the game, and this time it was extremely weak and felt forced.

Ah, that makes sense. I really dislike when games aren't clear about my objectives or how to do something.

The game is extremely clear in the starting objectives though. You even get a breakdown of each target type with numbers.

They are complaining about the fact that the mission parameters change in the second half of quite a few missions, but I have never really understood that complaint. It makes sense for the type of game they are going for. Ever heard the classic quote "No plan survives contact with the enemy."?

If your aim is to create a game with a military theme, and you make sure that the parameters never change and everything goes exactly as planned for more than like a few of the missions, then you failed at your job as a designer. Full stop. This isn't even that out of character for an Ace Combat game IMO.

I feel like a lot of the complaints I read about the game in the OT and other places were misreading the title of the game as "Weekend Flyer Simulation 2019"
and not ACE COMBAT. The mission structure and design should be there to challenge and even frustrate you because the entire point is to make you feel like an ace pilot that has been through hell and came out on top.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Still on my list to buy, honestly I'm hoping the multiplayer is what gives this game legs (or wings? .... )

insert Red Bull joke, sure why not

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it. The only minor disappointment I felt was that there were very few classic 'Ace Combat-y' setpiece moments, and the ones that were there were right at the end of the game. I enjoy dogfighting and blowing up ground targets as much as the next guy, but the parts I really remember about Ace Combat are flying through tunnels, going underground, blowing up ridiculous sky fortresses. That stuff is there in AC7, and maybe I'm just being greedy, but I still wish there was more :P

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
I think it's probably the best game mechanically, but I agree as far as the story goes. I really wish they had kept going with the Penal Unit storyline, with the prisoners actually rebelling against Osea, and the revelation that
Erusea planned Harling's death and framed Trigger being a much more significant plot point. It would have been much better if the events of the war stayed the same, but you realized near the end you were helping the enemy army under false pretenses.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I loved it, even tho the many many twists during missions (especially missions 17 and 20) got slightly annoying. But the gameplay was sublime, I enjoyed the Sol squadron dogfights, and somehow managed to die more times getting into the
space elevator tunnel escape
than the rest of the game combined.
Buuuut, a coop MP and a more dynamic campaign would have made it a GotG.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Also, I am usually not too fond of setting my expectations lower for a franchise I love
but as far as story is concerned I honestly went in with lowered expectations.

The most recent main entries in two of my other favorite franchises (MGSV and FFXV) are literally unfinished messes that
leave like dozens of plot lines up in the air and unfinished. So in comparison, AC7 feels like a goddamn masterpiece just
for being somewhat cohesive even if I think the princess plotline was weak.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its not the best AC for me but its a competent game. Its not gimped like other franchise comebacks, the game is traditional and offers just as much if not more than past entries. There is enough story, while nothing great its not as cringe worthy as AC6 either.

I didn't like the friendly AI, you have to do everything yourself and the amount of bogeys is extremely huge. The missile warning is getting out of hand here. The defense missions suffer because of the AI, I felt they were unfair at times. Every mission also seems to have nature going against you, it works a few times but its also annoying on top of the bad AI and amount of targets.

But as I said its a traditional release even down to the difficulty (I bet lots of gamers find it to be challenging even on Normal) and I'm glad for that because a lot of classic franchises either folded or 'modernized' with mixing results. AC7 feels like it could've been released on PS2 but the looks are current-gen.