• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast right around the corner, I'd like to show off a little of my pride and joy here, my KOS SDK:

4AUnOEM.jpg

For those who weren't around back around the turn of the millenium, this was when the iMac aesthetic had really taken hold, crystal-colored cases were EVERYWHERE. I had the PC case on the left when I was younger, complete with the Limp Bizkit sticker, along with the keyboard shown. I had a similar matching mouse to the one shown in the pic as well.

Fo2ZrIL.jpg

The Dreamcast itself is a custom shell with matching official Sega controller.

GFVVuL0.jpg

This particlar kit has a matching crystal blue VMU, and a matching crystal blue SD Card adapter. The white brick is a Sega Dreamcast BBA, which I use to interface the Dreamcast to the host PC for debugging.

ZEzUO78.jpg

The host PC itself also has a crystal blue SD card reader adapter so I can write SD cards straight from the PC to the Dreamcast.

Just a bit of fun because I was reading that Custom Gameboy mod topic earlier and saw someone asking for a Dreamcast equivalent.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Are you doing anything currently in the Dreamcast scene right now or you just staying active.

From what I've seen, the independent Dreamcast scene is still pretty active, I wouldn't say as active as the early 10's but still chugging along.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
LimpBizket.png

Also the aesthetic of colored see through electronics needs to come back, I love my red PS4 controller that feels out of time.

maxresdefault.jpg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's amazingly cool! Translucid electronic devices will never not be my jam.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I love this so much. Everything about it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Also the aesthetic of colored see through electronics needs to come back, I love my red PS4 controller that feels out of time.

maxresdefault.jpg
Really wish the blue one was in stock when I got my crystal one. One day...

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
With the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast right around the corner, I'd like to show off a little of my pride and joy here, my KOS SDK:

4AUnOEM.jpg

For those who weren't around back around the turn of the millenium, this was when the iMac aesthetic had really taken hold, crystal-colored cases were EVERYWHERE. I had the PC case on the left when I was younger, complete with the Limp Bizkit sticker, along with the keyboard shown. I had a similar matching mouse to the one shown in the pic as well.

Fo2ZrIL.jpg

The Dreamcast itself is a custom shell with matching official Sega controller.

GFVVuL0.jpg

This particlar kit has a matching crystal blue VMU, and a matching crystal blue SD Card adapter. The white brick is a Sega Dreamcast BBA, which I use to interface the Dreamcast to the host PC for debugging.

ZEzUO78.jpg

The host PC itself also has a crystal blue SD card reader adapter so I can write SD cards straight from the PC to the Dreamcast.

Just a bit of fun because I was reading that Custom Gameboy mod topic earlier and saw someone asking for a Dreamcast equivalent.

Oh man, I just now realized your tag got changed. RIP that old masterpiece. I'll never forget DPP.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
This is so cool! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see what you are making.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
While it works as a double entendre, I actually had that sticker on my PC back in the day. I also had a metallica sticker as well, but I ripped it off when they went after napster lol.

3DFX sticker and not powerVR though ... i can't shake the idea off my head that your DC has felt a little betrayed...
sega_present-932x1024.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is this your SDK kit from back in the day?

naw, this is my modern SDK. I didn't snap a pic of the inside, but the GD-Rom drive has been removed and replaced with a solid state solution so it'll boot directly into the debug software.

Back in the day, I didn't do GDB debugging, I'd just burn to disc and use the BIOS font to printf to the screen, which is a really terrible way to do gamedev.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I still love the crystal look and wish it would come back. I appreciate that the Switch pro controller has some of that going on but it's nothing like those days!

I will say, though, as someone who never owned a dreamcast it always blows my mind how tiny that console really was.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still love the crystal look and wish it would come back. I appreciate that the Switch pro controller has some of that going on but it's nothing like those days!

I will say, though, as someone who never owned a dreamcast it always blows my mind how tiny that console really was.

Dreamcast motherboard size comparison:

ED4vTUpWsAAbY7P

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
naw, this is my modern SDK. I didn't snap a pic of the inside, but the GD-Rom drive has been removed and replaced with a solid state solution so it'll boot directly into the debug software.

Back in the day, I didn't do GDB debugging, I'd just burn to disc and use the BIOS font to printf to the screen, which is a really terrible way to do gamedev.
damn, that's neat. is there documentation or resources on setups like this? or is it basically just a modern day PC modded into an old case?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i wish we could still buy crystal shells for the older consoles, the only ones that seem to pop up on ebay are overpriced because the sellers don't really have any point of reference on the price and they could probably take advantage of someone willing to burn money for one

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
If you had told me this was the SDK they sent out back in the day I would've bought it 100%.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I built a second one.

EHO9p6VXUAAOrWM

Unlike the original, this time the Dreamcast is actually integrated into the box as one unit. It also has the router built in, and doesn't need two monitors to output the debug information. Now, the dreamcast output itself is viewed as a floating window inside the PC operating system. It's an entirely self contained dev kit now.

EHO6VRoW4AAkDsd

The original crystal dreamcast on top of the new dev kit.

Gonna print up some labels on it to give it a dreamcast logo and such.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I left youtube on in the background playing random music while building this latest one, and it somehow cycled over to things like the Terminator theme song and the Superman theme and the robocop themesong and so forth. Felt like I was tony stark building iron man with the anvil clashes in the terminator theme.

When I built the first, I did NOT have limp bizkit playing, tho.