• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How Exicted are you for MHA Season 5?

• PLUS ULTRA

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • Pretty Exicted

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Exicted

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Not Exicted

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Actively Dreading it

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The next few arcs actually are all long set up for the current manga arc which has actually gotten surprisingly good. So, this first arc is probably going to be a bit meh, with things slowly progressing once we get past this first part of the season.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hori was apparently sick during this and Overhaul arc. Could be why. Lots of chapters where we only got 10 pages.
Yup, I'm aware of that too! Would make a lot of sense. But I also think this arc shows the biggest weakness of MHA: there's just too many characters. I think the anime can remedy a lot of the issues fans have with the arc, so I'm excited!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got the volumes on my shelf. Paneling is still a mess.
It really isnt, specially the arc you are talking about, if you arent understanding try paying attention to details, reading MHA fast will bring problems because of that
Hori was apparently sick during this and Overhaul arc. Could be why. Lots of chapters where we only got 10 pages.
Sure but there was no paneling or art problem like the overhaul arc, just limited number of pages
I am not sure what the other poster is talking about

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Great thread timing - I just started the show a week ago. I e watched about 7 episodes and ...,I like it so far but not blown away.
Does the show get better as it goes on?
I thought it was over too lol. Nice to see a new season inc
Yes. The first few episodes were hard for me to get through but once the full class has been fully introduced and they are interacting with each other it gets a lot better. There are some fantastic fights on the way too. There have been several fights in S2 and S3 that have gotten me hype as fuck; one in particular was just a notch below the Gohan v Cell Kamehameha wave for me.
It had a rocky start for me, mainly with how whiny Deku is in the beginning, but it's quickly become a favorite of mine over the last few weeks. I just finished up a dozen episodes in season three over the last few hours and pretty much have to force myself to take a break and stop watching for the day.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
ah, the arc where

I gave up all hope of Deku getting any depth because kohei just instead gave him more powers, another potential female badass is introduced but is also swept aside to make bakugou look good (her male counterpart in the same arc is badass though), momo gets hyped up and jobs again, and uraraka is still showing off her martial arts training she learned five years ago and any cool moment she had becomes "she has a crush!" jokes

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
I got the volumes on my shelf. Paneling is still a mess.
I thought the art itself had a bit of a comeback quality-wise but I'm with you that the action panel flow just wasn't there for me in this arc.

ah, the arc where

I gave up all hope of Deku getting any depth because kohei just instead gave him more powers, another potential female badass is introduced but is also swept aside to make bakugou look good (her male counterpart in the same arc is badass though), momo gets hyped up and jobs again, and uraraka is still showing off her martial arts training she learned five years ago and any cool moment she had becomes "she has a crush!" jokes
Honestly at this point I've given up on MHA handling 95% of the female characters well, sadly. My wife pretty much lost all interest due to it too.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I thought the art itself had a bit of a comeback quality-wise but I'm with you that the action panel flow just wasn't there for me in this arc.

Honestly at this point I've given up on MHA handling 95% of the female characters well, sadly. My wife pretty much lost all interest due to it too.

yeah, I was so let down by that considering how cool uraraka was in the sports fest and how tsuyu was pretty cool. hell I thought tsuyu would be the leading lady considering her appearance show you first glance just what type of world mha is. I guess I should be glad that she's not in the spotlight because her and Kendou don't embarass when they are on screen

shout out to Iida trying to murder someone after his brother was paralyzed and getting over it faster than Momo's one loss lmao

how the fuck

does Toga get an arc before the rest of the girls lmao

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
ah, the arc where

Man, I hoped this Deku has no depth trolling would stay on twitter

Mirko

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As a non manga reader, is there hope or will it be like the last season?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

yeah, I was so let down by that considering how cool uraraka was in the sports fest and how tsuyu was pretty cool. hell I thought tsuyu would be the leading lady considering her appearance show you first glance just what type of world mha is. I guess I should be glad that she's not in the spotlight because her and Kendou don't embarass when they are on screen

shout out to Iida trying to murder someone after his brother was paralyzed and getting over it faster than Momo's one loss lmao

how the fuck

does Toga get an arc before the rest of the girls lmao
Momo, Ochako, Jiro, hell even Kendo all get an arc before Toga, but I guess they dont count because reasons
sure bud, call me when Shiggy revives every dead hero, like Nagato revived the village.

Try again.
I cant believe anyone can compare this arc to the Pain arc, people actually died and lost limbs in this one

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
As a non manga reader, is there hope or will it be like the last season?
The second arc that this season will cover is really damn good, but I have zero faith whatsoever in Bones to do it justice considering that they couldn't even do the Overhaul stuff well

I'd tell everyone to just switch to the manga tbh

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Momo, Ochako, Jiro, hell even Kendo all get an arc before Toga, but I guess they dont count because reasons

Jirou being the leader of the band and having confidence issues and needing bakugou and jirou to raise her confidence up is the opposite of impressive, Tokoyami didn't pick up an instrument before he joined the band and he was more alright with playing in front of such a large crowd lmfao

and as for mirko being badass, all the build up for her getting ripped limb from limb in her first fight is a let down. I know why it was done to show the stakes but I would have liked if she just had one curb stomp battle before hand

Last edited:

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Have to agree with the others here. This arc starts a pretty bad decline in the series for me. In the manga, this arc just dragged and dragged reading week to week. Hopefully animation can help but just based on a few shots of that teaser, it looks pretty messy animation wise.

Then you have the arc after this one (probably cour 2 of S5) which is just...shit. Literally asspull after asspull. It's generally well received but I absolutely hated it. It was almost series killing for me and I stopped reading MHA for a long time after.

It gets better after that and the current manga arc is probably one of the best in the series but what a handful of terrible arcs for S5 imo.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I still don't understand why people didn't like the cultural festival arc, to me it's peak HeroAca.
And then this arc happened and killed all my hype for it. There is nothing that can be done by Bones to save it. I kinda wish they'd just rush through it so that we can quickly get to the much better next arc. Obviously that won't happen because it would be stupid and it's a selfish request, so I might skip that first cour.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Jirou being the leader of the band and having confidence issues and needing bakugou and jirou to raise her confidence up is the opposite of impressive, Tokoyami didn't pick up an instrument before he joined the band and he was more alright with playing in front of such a large crowd lmfao
Spoilers
Might wanna spoiler tag that

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

and as for mirko being badass, all the build up for her getting ripped limb from limb in her first fight is a let down. I know why it was done to show the stakes but I would have liked if she just had one curb stomp battle before hand
  1. Use spoiler tags please
  2. What you said about Jirou made no sense, she was the one that convinced Bakugo to participate in the band not the opposite lol
  3. She defeated one of strongest beings in MHA, and stalled out another 3, in the end she is also the reason the heroes have any chance to defeat shigaraki now, if that is a let down what you expected? For her to solo 4 Nomus when even Endeavor almost died to one?

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
Man, I hoped this Deku has no depth trolling would stay on twitter

Mirko
Listen I really don't appreciate voicing legit concerns in regards to how women are treated in MHA and having it responded to with "lol but we have one or two that're okay so gotcha".

I said 95% for a reason and that's not good enough.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
  1. Use spoiler tags please
  2. What you said about Jirou made no sense, she was the one that convinced Bakugo to participate in the band not the opposite lol
  3. She defeated one of strongest beings in MHA, and stalled out another 3, in the end she is also the reason the heroes have any chance to defeat shigaraki now, if that is a let down what you expected? For her to solo 4 Nomus when even Endeavor almost died to one?

something before her first fight to showcase her badassness, she's still cool but it puts a damper on things

as for the jirou thing, I meant after the band joined up she started having doubts and they had the kamijirou moment for it. could have had kaminari be the one with doubts to still keep the moment without making the girl the vulnerable one

and man, I fucking wish kendou got more screentime, her and tetsu fighting mustard felt like the only fight where the girl didn't feel like support

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope there isn't a movie this year because I want every focus to be on adapting the second half of this season. The arc after this one is easily one of the best.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Can't wait! The first arc of the season isn't the strongest but has some very important developments. The second arc this season is one of the best in the series

Hope Bones brings their A game. Season 4 had some issues, especially the Overhaul arc

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for all of you watched the movie. Is it after season 4 or after season 5? Because I want to watch it but I don't want anything spoiled for me.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Movie 2 is set after this upcoming season which is hilarious.

You probably won't know unless you are looking for certain things though.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I'll give Bones one more chance before moving to the manga. Last season had horrible production save a few episodes

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake: apparently Heroes Rising is set after stuff that hasn't been animated yet.

... And yet I watched it and didn't feel spoiled on anything :lol
Movie 2 is set after this upcoming season which is hilarious.

You probably won't know unless you are looking for certain things though.
Ok. I underst-
It's definitely after season 4+ It introduces characters that weren't in season 4 until near the end.
Who do I believe now

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 months): Dismissing concerns around sexism and representation, prior bans for similar dismissals

Listen I really don't appreciate voicing legit concerns in regards to how women are treated in MHA and having it responded to with "lol but we have one or two that're okay so gotcha".

I said 95% for a reason and that's not good enough.

And I dont apreciate you dismissing anything women do in this manga to keep the narrative that they do nothing
Like except Overhaul arc, where they do something but it is offscreen, all arcs have female characters doing something important on screen

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for all of you watched the movie. Is it after season 4 or after season 5? Because I want to watch it but I don't want anything spoiled for me.

It's in a bit of an odd spot. In the manga it takes place between Chapter 240 and 241. There are two arcs Season 5 will definitely adapt, and a third arc it probably will adapt depending on Bones' pacing. The movie takes place between the second and the third.

As for this season's adaptation Bones let me down a lot last season (though Endeavor v. Hood was incredibly well done). I'm tepidly excited for this. Hopefully they'll bring their A-Game. I see some good things and some disappointing things in that preview and we're so far out that it could still be subject to change.

And as for the material itself, it's fine. I thought the first cour was fun, I loved getting to see the 1-B kids show off since we'd barely gotten to see any of them up to this point. To provide some context, the first arc was definitely the low point of the manga simply because Hori was very sick and putting out ten page chapters and there were frequent breaks and an arc that probably should've wrapped up in three months lasted over six. It wasn't fun. Obviously won't be a problem for the anime-onlies though.

The second cour arc is one of my personal favorites. I pray that Bones does it justice. I'll just leave it at that since I don't like it when manga readers turn anime only threads into spoiler bar central and I want to avoid being a hypocrite. Hopefully folks don't think I'm hyping up arcs since there's been plenty of people espousing their hate of it in this thread already and it's all personal tastes anyhow.

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020

And I dont apreciate you dismissing anything women do in this manga to keep the narrative that they do nothing
Like except Overhaul arc, where they do something but it is offscreen, all arcs have female characters doing something important on screen

I didn't say they do nothing. But they consistently get absolutely sidelined by the boys and I think pretending otherwise is so completely head in the sand stupid.

You like the property and like to defend it I get it. But I legit can't believe you'd look at the representation in MHA and be like this is ok. Absolute fucking nonsense.

Edit: actually, not even nonsense. It's disgusting. You're fucking accusing me of undermining female representation by saying they should do more of it to somehow serve a negative narrative against MHA. Fucking gross get out of here.

Last edited:

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Other than potentially good animation, this season might piss some people off lol.

I didn't say they do nothing. But they consistently get absolutely sidelined by the boys and I think pretending otherwise is so completely head in the sand stupid.

You like the property and like to defend it I get it. But I legit can't believe you'd look at the representation in MHA and be like this is ok. Absolute fucking nonsense.

Edit: actually, not even nonsense. It's disgusting. You're fucking accusing me of undermining female representation by saying they should do more of it. Fucking gross get out of here.

I wouldn't bother anymore tbh. When it comes to MHA, the person you're responding to is kinda aggrevating.

Deleted member 76539

Banned
Jul 31, 2020
l wouldn't bother anymore tbh. When it comes to MHA, the person you're responding to is kinda aggrevating.
Literally responding with "but they do stuff off screen". Fucking hell I don't even know what to say.

EDIT: Even if you are satisfied with the representation in MHA. The answer to "The women in this series should get more of a spotlight" isn't fucking "no they do enough stop dismissing what they already do."

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to get through the training stuff quickly. It's long enough that the normal chapter/episode ratio would make it take up nearly half the season, but I'd rather they compress it to 4-6 eps at most. I know people like seeing the heroes sparring but it wasn't that interesting or exciting to me outside of a few creative quirk combos.

The main plot stuff that happens afterwards is good and could look really great animated.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Based on chapter count, Season 2's pacing could mean two arcs adapted, while pacing like Seasons 4 and 5 would mean three arcs, bringing the anime right up to the start of the current arc.