• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
If there's one thing I kinda wish the anime emphasized more it's that black whip can come from anywhere on Deku. In the manga we can see it has effects in the area around his eyes implying it can shoot from anywhere.
5bgrnt.jpg

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say the first wielder(AfO's little brother) was quirkless as well

So the first, All Might and Deku were quirkless but the other 6 had quirks

Ohhh this is good too

So as far as we know that means there could be 5 additional abilities to the black whip. That's awesome. I wish we knew what All Mights teacher and predecessor had as a quirk

Loving this

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is where I stopped reading the manga, so you can imagine which side of the debate it was on.

This makes All Might look like the third Hokage. Dude is shown to be this ultimate badass but later you get a fuckton of other (retconned) stronger kages and make him look like a total chump.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I stopped reading the manga, so you can imagine which side of the debate it was on.

This makes All Might look like the third Hokage. Dude is shown to be this ultimate badass but later you get a fuckton of other (retconned) stronger kages and make him look like a total chump.

You are missing some of the best MHA right after.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

All Might was the strongest of all of them though. There's a reason he was the only one to achieve the symbol of peace status

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

All Might was certifiably stronger than all of his predecessors, this really isn't the third hokage situation.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm frankly not even sure how you ended up with that impression, but I can say that it's really not like that and that All Might in his prime is still comfortably ahead of any of his predecessors.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Best episode of this boring arc (So far).

This gets explained later but I can't really say more without spoiler tag

Some of us don't want to know if it gets explained till it does. Not coming at you personally since this isn't something important, but it's probably best if manga readers don't say these kind of stuff at all just in case.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the All Might situation, I meant more Deku himself (being the Avatar) plus what I imagine will be power-ups for other characters to be relevant in some way. We haven't really been told anything about the powers of the previous holders, as far as I remember.

Oct 25, 2017

The 3rd revered the 1st and 2nd Hokage from the get go.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Remind me again; All for One gave a quirk to his brother which he thought didn't have any quirks. What quirk did he give and what quirk did the brother already have?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Remind me again; All for One gave a quirk to his brother which he thought didn't have any quirks. What quirk did he give and what quirk did the brother already have?
AfO gave him a quirk that stockpiles power and the quirk the brother had was the ability to pass on his quirk, these two combined into OfA

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The first One for All user had a quirk to transfer power, which is useless on its own. AFO gave him a power stockpiling quirk, which fused together with his original quirk to make OFA.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the answers. The tease with All for One seems to be involved somehow so i'm curious if this maybe was planned.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I have thought before what if OFA and AFO are actually the same. I mean AFO had the ability to take and transfer abilities. OFA only seemingy transferred power, which the power stocking really then made into an incredible feat. What if the intent of the user actually matters here. It's strange that these siblings could have both been suited with a quirk that can pass on quirks, but only one of them can take them.

Maybe OFA is simply the user not being a awful being and thus as it has been passed down no one with OFA has ever had it in them to use it the same way AFO does.

At a glance it looks like a classic foil where one takes the other gives, but that's ignoring the fact that AFO can also pass on abilities. Who's to say Midoriya couldn't if under the right or (wrong) intentions of a bad person.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
No wonder Deku is crazy OP since he always says he'll become the greatest hero of all time.
But this means he's the chosen one, right? Since for the others before him it wasn't the time yet.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
No wonder Deku is crazy OP since he always says he'll become the greatest hero of all time.
But this means he's the chosen one, right? Since for the others before him it wasn't the time yet.
Chosen to do what? The quirks are not prophesizing things so far and I don't think it's a coincidence this is happening when season 4 introduced the idea of a quirk singularity. Quirks get stronger with each generation and this is OfA being affected by that, it reflects the progressions of stronger quirks we see in other characters like Todoroki's half-hot-half-cold or the kids in that babysitting arc

Last edited:

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Chosen to do what? The quirks are not prophesizing things so far and I don't think it's a coincidence this is happening when season 4 introduced the idea of a quirk singularity. Quirks get stronger with each generation and this is OfA being affected by that, it reflects the progressions of stronger quirks we see in other characters like Todoroki's half-hot-half-cold or the kids in that babysitting arc
The first holder of OfA even outright states in the first episode of the season that they (as in OfA as a collective) are way beyond the singularity at this point. It's likely that Deku will be the last holder in the end, as it may grow too powerful for any human to contain by the end of his career.

And I personally find OfA to be more terrifying than AfO. This is a quirk that seemingly tears off a part of not only their holder's quirk, but their very soul when it transfers over to the next host, and every previous host has shown some form of almost suicidal tendency afterward since they've all apparently gone off to face AfO soon after the transfer. The only exception is All Might, and he had to be convinced by Deku's mother that the worst thing he could do for Deku was to die for him. OfA works eerily similar to a parasite. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but it's the impression I've gotten.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These tests are absurd.

They are going to murder each other and his powers are out of control.

No, no, let's keep going and see what happens.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The best episode in this season and almost last season. Infinite 100% Moment was still more hype, but LOVE the story/action implications of this.

Poor Bakugo (and Todoroki) is gonna learn REAL soon that he's the side character lol. They never stood a chance against the best quirk of all: Being the Protagonist.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The first holder of OfA even outright states in the first episode of the season that they (as in OfA as a collective) are way beyond the singularity at this point. It's likely that Deku will be the last holder in the end, as it may grow too powerful for any human to contain by the end of his career.

And I personally find OfA to be more terrifying than AfO. This is a quirk that seemingly tears off a part of not only their holder's quirk, but their very soul when it transfers over to the next host, and every previous host has shown some form of almost suicidal tendency afterward since they've all apparently gone off to face AfO soon after the transfer. The only exception is All Might, and he had to be convinced by Deku's mother that the worst thing he could do for Deku was to die for him. OfA works eerily similar to a parasite. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but it's the impression I've gotten.
I never got the impression that the previous OfA holders all went after AfO. More like he hunted them down before All Might, who was the first one who was able to go toe to toe with him.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm caught up and the recent episodes saved this arc. Bakugo and Todoroki remain awesome. I have mixed feelings about this stuff regarding Deku. A part of me likes it and another part of me is worried about other characters and what exactly does this mean for Deku lol

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Horikoshi goes for Mineta's redemption arc, I'll look down and whisper "No."

Monoma was a complete asshole until the end, I love that jerk. Monoma going for One for All was probably my favorite moment this season.

This shot had me laughing.

Sv6FhMr.jpeg

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, this fight actually was easily the worst. Nerfed shinso (or at least what he showed in the other fight) for Midoriya to have an easy win. No climatic moment or anything. Arc peaked at fight 3.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Eh, this fight actually was easily the worst. Nerfed shinso (or at least what he showed in the other fight) for Midoriya to have an easy win. No climatic moment or anything. Arc peaked at fight 3.
This is my view as well. Doesn't help that this fight isn't really about the fight it's about OfA with a fight attached to that. Beyond excited we are moving on

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the animation in this show is considerably worse this season than it has ever been. It often feels like there's barely any animation at all. Or maybe it was never good and I'm misremembering.

This entire arc has been kinda awful on every level.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I feel like the animation in this show is considerably worse this season than it has ever been. It often feels like there's barely any animation at all. Or maybe it was never good and I'm misremembering.

Still seems a little better than season 4 but I could be misremembering.

Next arc starts soon

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
jesus how many flashbacks can they fit into a single episode

I remember when the season started people in the manga thread here or on Reddit (or both, can't remember) were saying stuff like "This arc can't take up the entire cour. There's only like eight or nine episodes' worth of content, max."

Ha.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The animation and directing are definitely better to me. Sure none of it is as good as the Deku vs Overhaul cuts but you're not doing that for JT of all things lmao

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's some stuff wrong with the arc, but the animation has been good. Idk what that complaint's about, we've gotten some real cool stuff.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'd say they did JT better than Deku vs Gentle

So I guess we know someone at Bones hates me specifically

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

Season 4 animation was much worse overall, this season is a step up at least in that department

Oct 25, 2017

The show is much more consistent and overall better than it was last season. The direction and shots are better too. The lack of sakuga is due to the arc just not having many big moments.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is just wrong

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Animation is definitely better for this season than 4, which felt like it held back all its goodness for 100% Deku and Endeavor and could not spare a mere crumb elsewhere leading to Lemillion getting done dirty with STILLS, STIIIIIILS

Anyway, this episode made me actually laugh at Mineta because his dumbfuckery caught me off guard, and now I feel like I need to clean myself and my soul.
As for flashbacks, yep, this show is really REALLY bad for them, there are times where this show really feels like a Naruto adjacent shonen with all the good and bad that comes with that, flashbackin' all day long being one of them.

Next episode preview is either hiding something or it's a complete nothing burger coming up next week, I wanted a hint at the next arc darn it!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The show is much more consistent and overall better than it was last season. The direction and shots are better too. The lack of sakuga is due to the arc just not having many big moments.
And even then, I'd say we got a couple of very nice looking moments in each fight.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Animation hit a really low point in s4, and it's considerably better now. It's just that 50% of this arc was people standing around doing nothing. But the action has been solid imo

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even this episode that was one of the weaker ones in this season in terms of animation was better than s4
Like the moment that deku caughts shinso was superb
anyway Ochako MVP, I dont accept any other opinions

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Definitely not true. The production has been the strongest since S2 so far. We'll see if it holds up in the second half, but both S3 and S4 suffered from the movies being in production concurrently. So far they've done a much better job keeping the quality consistent.