• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hear this episode has 90 seconds of recap before the episode even started? That's rough, even for this series.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
man, i think every episode of mha looks at least pretty good so seeing people dump on the animation makes me shook

this is what growing up on dbz and one piece does to you

anyway, watching Todoroki hype up Momo only for her team to lose is just as funny as it was in the manga. legit top tier comedy

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Yeah that episode, animation and all, was weak.

This arc is dull as hell so far, but I'm glad manga people mentally prepared me for that for once.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
man, i think every episode of mha looks at least pretty good so seeing people dump on the animation makes me shook

this is what growing up on dbz and one piece does to you

anyway, watching Todoroki hype up Momo only for her team to lose is just as funny as it was in the manga. legit top tier comedy
Imo mha always has a good base but has some things that arent very good like backgroungs, tho I think it improved
but yeah it still is better than most anime. And this season has been better than season 4 too so far.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that I went into this series with low expectations after season 4 kinda fumbled and manga readers pointing out that this current arc wasn't all that interesting.

...yet I'm kinda digging it? a common issue with the expansive casts of these shonen series is how characters get left in the dust because you just can't give time to them all, but this here gives some shine to class A characters people may have latched onto way back at season 1/early manga, while class B gets to fill the role of seeing new quirks and how they'd be applied to a fight. While the lack of stakes does indeed basically make it "let's just see a bunch of dudes brawling with teamwork or whatever", it's neat that the show does keep in mind that the main cast are students and even when you get the big arcs, they're not afraid to reel it back in to the normality, well relatively speaking.

Anyway the right team won this weak, sorry beaky but at least they gave you some slick moments.

MHA is still above average when it comes to shonen anime adaptions. The norm used to be stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece which looked like garbage 90% of the time lol

We've been pretty spoiled latey
I know right? while there's definitely been some spots in the last series where I really felt the lack of punchy animation (blame the movie I guess?), I'm still sitting here pretty pleased that there's a level of consisitency for a shonen adaptation that I could never have imagined following the years of weekly classic "Big Three" anime, where you could have like the worst animation followed by that one tasty morsel of killer animation for the entire season (so I'm basically remembering the infamous Guy vs Guy followed by Sasori of Naruto here, the whiplash!)

The oft compared to Demon Slayer feels especially like an outlier in this case as well, Ufotable just going all out is gonna be hard for most shonen to match I guess, good thing to because it's one of the main aspects of the anime that helps me endure that one character

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that I went into this series with low expectations after season 4 kinda fumbled and manga readers pointing out that this current arc wasn't all that interesting.
this season has been far superior than season 4, yeah the pacing is a bit bad because of so many recaps, flashblacks and useless filler dialogue, but when it comes to the actual fights it has been doing a better job than season 4 did, and consider it is a much less important fight than the ones in season 4
Like it is hilarious how they made a better job of doing a phasing quirk with kuroiro than with Mirio

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
MHA is still above average when it comes to shonen anime adaptions. The norm used to be stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece which looked like garbage 90% of the time lol

We've been pretty spoiled latey

Plus making it seasonal means we don't have to suffer through god damn filler arcs...Christ nightmares of Bleach and Naruto.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I took a long break from MHA and came back to it a little bit ago and blew through season 4 and now I'm watching season 5 weekly. I remember the show being... better. Maybe not. I dunno. They sure do like to waste the viewer's time. I just want the characters to shut up and quit explaining everything to me. When I'm playing catchup, it's easier to stomach filler episodes, but waiting a week to watch another load of crap is pretty annoying. They tease us with interesting stuff and then they're like, "Nah, nevermind, here's another tournament. Fuck you."

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Without spoiling things. Just know stuff picks up after the joint training arc. Even in the mamga most disliked this arc and the anime only exacerbates it instead of alleviates it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Without spoiling things. Just know stuff picks up after the joint training arc. Even in the mamga most disliked this arc and the anime only exacerbates it instead of alleviates it.

I think the anime is making it better personally. The low page count per chapter during this arc in the manga was ROUGH.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this arc has definitely been better in the anime than the manga so far

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like this arc and I must agree it was painful in the manga weekly
For example the momo fight was 4 chapters but only 50 pages

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is a much better pace than the manga had. Horikoshi was still ill at the time, page count was low, art was relatively shaky.

I actually really like this arc from an adaptation perspective tbh.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is a much better pace than the manga had. Horikoshi was still ill at the time, page count was low, art was relatively shaky.

I actually really like this arc from an adaptation perspective tbh.
Actually he was moving, he was ill some days but I guess it was an effect of having to do a lot of things at once

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of unique scenes and exchanges in this episode that weren't in the manga, based on the next episode preview they're definitely trying to save the meat of this fight to go all at once.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This arc is probably the show's lowest point. I really don't care about this pseudo-tournament at all.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of unique scenes and exchanges in this episode that weren't in the manga, based on the next episode preview they're definitely trying to save the meat of this fight to go all at once.
They even adapted the start of 204 that i didnt expect.
Also nice that they expanded the Endeavor bit

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

...yet I'm kinda digging it? a common issue with the expansive casts of these shonen series is how characters get left in the dust because you just can't give time to them all, but this here gives some shine to class A characters people may have latched onto way back at season 1/early manga, while class B gets to fill the role of seeing new quirks and how they'd be applied to a fight. While the lack of stakes does indeed basically make it "let's just see a bunch of dudes brawling with teamwork or whatever", it's neat that the show does keep in mind that the main cast are students and even when you get the big arcs, they're not afraid to reel it back in to the normality, well relatively speaking.

Anyway the right team won this weak, sorry beaky but at least they gave you some slick moments.
I think this series still suffers from it, they introduced Class B already and then they introduced new heroes and the other schools.

Adding new characters and telling their back story is a lot easier than writing characters that have depth and then developing them (see: One Piece), especially for a weekly series.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This arc is probably the show's lowest point. I really don't care about this pseudo-tournament at all.
It was the lowest point for manga readers too, this was really the one arc I wished they rushed yet they've to adapting 2 chapters per episode for the wrong arc, today's episode adapted 2 chapters that were 11 and 13 pages so you can can technically say this episode had one regular chapter worth of content

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Go go Lida! Cool episode, I find Endeavor to be a real interesting character and Bakugo and Dekus interaction was nice too.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Yeah waiting two weeks before watching is the move. So far it's been like two episodes per match, with the first one being the introduction/planning and then buildup and cliffhanger to the actual fight.

This episode was the least interested I've been in the show....even less than the school festival.

I did laugh pretty hard at the Uraraka/Ashido interaction. I will give the show the credit that surprisingly some jokes land really well for me and have me legitimately laugh out loud.

I chuckled another time in this episode but I can't remember.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Iida getting caught by the building feels funny with
how fast they were showing him to be in the anime.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

VMMsoOf.gif

I wasn't a fan of the cuts Nakamura did last season, but fuck me the drip on this one.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a good fucking episode. We're all warmed up and the animation muscle is finally coming out to play. Sakugabooru is gonna have a field day.

And oh man I'm so stoked for next week. Bakugo finally back to play.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love that Students almost killed each over a training exercise
Probably the funniest thing about any UA event (sports festival, final exam, AvB). They constantly do things that would end with them in the hospital or even dead. UA would be utterly fucked without Recovery Girl.

If the villains really did want to destroy UA, just assassinate Recovery Girl.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much screen time this show gives to characters nobody gives two fucks about.

By amazing I mean awful.

This is also the most idiotic training exercise I've ever witnessed.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Lida is a badass, kind of growing tired of this arc at this point though feels like it's taking up too much of this season.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the goal of this exercise? What do they win? What will this improve?

Just a lazy showcase for new moves and "character development" while allowing class B to job.
The only thing I like is seeing how make some of the dumb powers useful, though a lot of them feel like a stretch. What even is Ojiro's quirk again? A tail?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Had to skipt through the episode. Season 5 isn't offering much till now.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I like that lida got the Sakuga moment, he was pretty cool this episode
Training still should have a purpose. If the characters learned anything it was incidental to the exercise. It's pointless to find meaning because it's just a tournament arc.
My guess is Horikoshi wanted a arc to show off everyone's powers and give some underutilized characters some shine, it's more of a last hurrah for the students since the story does become less school focused after this arc

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
My guess is Horikoshi wanted a arc to show off everyone's powers and give some underutilized characters some shine, it's more of a last hurrah for the students since the story does become less school focused after this arc
Big spoilers-
I'm almost positive this arc exists so Hori could do the quirk reveal without it being an asspull in a fight with actual stakes lol

Also Shinso and setting up new moves for the war arc but I digress

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finally some good pacing, and has superb animation to tie it together too, best episode of the season so far

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I'm glad we can all agree that Tetsutetsu is still the best 1-B boy and Iida proves how speed is the best and coolest superpower