• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
it happens because it is a primetime TV show, so people that never watched the series can somewhat understand what happens
The quirk reminder thing started in S2 and it's only for the TV broadcast of the show. On the blu ray they remove them. Kinda wish they would remove them for the streaming versions too though.
Ya thats just dumb still to me. It season 5, if anything show them in the first episode of the season as a refresher and for new people then stop. Its massively annoying and def should be removed from the streaming versions.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ya thats just dumb still to me. It season 5, if anything show them in the first episode of the season as a refresher and for new people then stop. Its massively annoying and def should be removed from the streaming versions.
I mean it makes sense, they want more people to start watching it, but cant reprise everything always.
But yeah I agree they should make the streaming versions drop that, like they already do that for the BD version

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I wouldn't mind the reminders (they only take a few seconds) if they were ever doing anything mildly important, but as it stands this feels like they're pausing in the middle of filler. Show's stunlocking itself.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Tokoyami still the coolest.

And yeah the mushroom attack is still incredibly fucked. Absolute nightmare scenario.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Momo tried so damn hard but between the mushrooms and half her team being deadweight, it just wasn't enough.

Tho tbh if mushroom girl was fully serious right from the start Team Kendo probably could've won from the word jump. Lung mushrooms for everybody!!!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Tokoyami still the coolest.

And yeah the mushroom attack is still incredibly fucked. Absolute nightmare scenario.
Imagine a combo of her and Inasa
He could blow her spores to any villain's lungs and it is game over from kilometers away
Momo tried so damn hard but between the mushrooms and half her team being deadweight, it just wasn't enough.

Tho tbh if mushroom girl was fully serious right from the start Team Kendo probably could've won from the word jump. Lung mushrooms for everybody!!!
Part of me thinks that kendo asked her to not use it because she wanted to win fair and square

also I think the anime made it look less severe than it was in the manga, in the manga Tokoyami was basically dying

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Tokoyami had knocked Kinoko out before she could've use that power he probably would've been able to sweep the whole team. I kind of doubt Manga and Kendo could take him out even 2 v 1, especially given their current conditions

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weakest fight of this arc got a pretty weak episode, unsurprisingly. The animators were clearly pressed on how to make this interesting with the abundant amount of pace breaking flashbacks. Hopefully it's all uphill from here though.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
kinoko could beat lots of powerful villain if she kept her quirck secret, just grow mushroom inside them, instant win

but thinking about that doesn't matter that much, some power will always be too OP if the heroes started to use them effectively, in comics, manga, and so on

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting pretty close to dropping this series. I'm starting to realize that, outside of All Might, I don't care about a single character.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Weakest fight of this arc got a pretty weak episode, unsurprisingly. The animators were clearly pressed on how to make this interesting with the abundant amount of pace breaking flashbacks. Hopefully it's all uphill from here though.
I thought the "animation" was awful. Sometimes there was no animation at all, like Momo creating stuff.

It all looks so much worse for me in general considering I just binged Demon Slayer lol.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the "animation" was awful. Sometimes there was no animation at all, like Momo creating stuff.

It all looks so much worse for me in general considering I just binged Demon Slayer lol.
it is funny because I saw some DS scenes from the movie yesterday and I actually dont think it is the perfect thing people talk about, it has many issues that even normal episodes of MHA dont seem to have. For example I really hate how the fire looks there. it looks mediocre at best. And considering that was the movie I dunno even more about the series

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
it is funny because I saw some DS scenes from the movie yesterday and I actually dont think it is the perfect thing people talk about, it has many issues that even normal episodes of MHA dont seem to have. For example I really hate how the fire looks there. it looks mediocre at best. And considering that was the movie I dunno even more about the series
I have no idea what you watched but the last third of the movie looks unbelievable.

I'll say one aspect of DS that absolutely trounces every episode and movie of MHA is the quality of the backgrounds and scenery. Every location looks so damn ugly and basic.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you watched but the last third of the movie looks unbelievable.
Yeah but it is expected from a big name shonen movie, MHA movie was the same
I still think the fire effects werent very good, but I am used to MHA fire that always look good
another problem is the 3d

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA anime has always had poor backgrounds. I don't know which background studio they use, but it's a poor fit.

The sad thing is the latest MHA movie used a different background studio iirc, and it looked way better. Ironically the use of CG backgrounds in this season has actually been helping the backgrounds stand out more, in a good way.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA anime has always had poor backgrounds. I don't know which background studio they use, but it's a poor fit.

The sad thing is the latest MHA movie used a different background studio iirc, and it looked way better. Ironically the use of CG backgrounds in this season has actually been helping the backgrounds stand out more, in a good way.
I think this season has much better backgrounds than the others

Endeavor fight also had good ones

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
So why does MHA more often than not have lackluster animation when they're produced by Studio Bones ? I can only think of a handful of moments where the animation is "good" compared to demon slayer.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So why does MHA more often than not have lackluster animation when they're produced by Studio Bones ? I can only think of a handful of moments where the animation is "good" compared to demon slayer.

Stuff like Mob Psycho 100, Demon Slayer, and JJK are the exception, not the norm tbh

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA is still above average when it comes to shonen anime adaptions. The norm used to be stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece which looked like garbage 90% of the time lol

We've been pretty spoiled latey

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said above even the demon slayer movie, that is a movie so obviously has more budget, isnt immune to having some lackluster aspects

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a combo of her and Inasa
He could blow her spores to any villain's lungs and it is game over from kilometers away

Part of me thinks that kendo asked her to not use it because she wanted to win fair and square

also I think the anime made it look less severe than it was in the manga, in the manga Tokoyami was basically dying

I think in general the show tries to lighten the tone. Which makes sense for the general audience (and the arc, mostly).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think in general the show tries to lighten the tone. Which makes sense for the general audience (and the arc, mostly).
true but i wonder
how you can even light the tone of the next arcs specially a certain flashback without it being awful

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mediocre? lol

MHA is still above average when it comes to shonen anime adaptions. The norm used to be stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece which looked like garbage 90% of the time lol

We've been pretty spoiled latey

MHA is seasonal and your other mentioned animes all have episodes that look better than MHAs best episodes. It's not even a contest in that regard. Even Black Clover, one of the last new animes that ran for more than 50 episodes, had episodes that looked better than MHAs best ones.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre? lol

MHA is seasonal and your other mentioned animes all have episodes that look better than MHAs best episodes. It's not even a contest in that regard. Even Black Clover, one of the last new animes that ran for more than 50 episodes, had episodes that looked better than MHAs best ones.
Black Clover also looks garbage 90% of the time lol

consistency matters more than having a good looking episode for every 20 bad looking ones. MHA still looks significantly better than those shows as a whole. That's the problem with the long-running format. It kills the pacing and consistency of the animation most of the time. The only two long-running shows I can think of at the moment that maintained their quality throughout are Hunter x Hunter and Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Black Clover also looks garbage 90% of the time lol.

consistency matters more than having a good looking episode for every 20 bad looking ones. MHA still looks significantly better than those shows as a whole. That's the problem with the long-running format. It kills the pacing and consistency of the animation most of the time. The only two long-running shows I can think of at the moment that maintained their quality throughout are Hunter x Hunter and Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Hunter X Hunter only worked because of Madhouse Korean studios and their long pre production they had. Pokemon Sun and Moon was great because of the new character designs which made animating way easier for folks.

I am more impressed with an anime like Black Clover that didn't even have enough stuff for more than half of its air time (and still dishing out phenomenal episodes without ressources and new workways e.g. recruiting a lot more people on Twitter) than MHA which is seasonal, has two teams and lots of known names behind it. In Black Clovers pace the pacing wasn't even that much of a problem except for the first few episodes (hello, MHA had the same problem) and when the anime was extended for another year even though there wasn't much to animate yet. The odds were always against BC teams and in MHAs case you have the exact opposite and it just doesn't deliver as much as it could. In comparison to S2+3 S4 didn't leave much of an impression except for "Ugh they butchered XY" or people complaining that stuff feels like filler (not my opinion) and also people always asking if stuff doesn't look that crazy good anymore because they have to animate the yearly movie (which they have their own team for).

The most impressive long running Shounen by far is currently Boruto in regards to animation and art. That's no question and this series is a magnet for animators.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hunter X Hunter only worked because of Madhouse Korean studios and their long pre production they had. Pokemon Sun and Moon was great because of the new character designs which made animating way easier for folks.

I am more impressed with an anime like Black Clover that didn't even have enough stuff for more than half of its air time (and still dishing out phenomenal episodes without ressources and new workways e.g. recruiting a lot more people on Twitter) than MHA which is seasonal, has two teams and lots of known names behind it. In Black Clovers pace the pacing wasn't even that much of a problem except for the first few episodes (hello, MHA had the same problem) and when the anime was extended for another year even though there wasn't much to animate yet. The odds were always against BC teams and in MHAs case you have the exact opposite and it just doesn't deliver as much as it could. In comparison to S2+3 S4 didn't leave much of an impression except for "Ugh they butchered XY" or people complaining that stuff feels like filler (not my opinion) and also people always asking if stuff doesn't look that crazy good anymore because they have to animate the yearly movie (which they have their own team for).

The most impressive long running Shounen by far is currently Boruto in regards to animation and art. That's no question and this series is a magnet for animators.
Yeah, I'm not gonna praise Black Clover for having a poor production lol. Having to recruit people on Twitter is sad. And yes, while they do get a bunch of talented people on an episode very occasionally, it still doesn't change the fact that the average episode looks poor to say the least

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not gonna praise Black Clover for having a poor production lol. Having to recruit people on Twitter is sad. And yes, while they do get a bunch of talented people on an episode very occasionally, it still doesn't change the fact that the average episode looks poor to say the least

I ain't praising the production issues which they weren't at fault for. I don't think you understand my point or even the miracle that team has done. Way more impressive than everything that was done with the MHA team. The last year of Black Clover also had lots of episodes that weren't poor at all for almost the whole 50 episodes run and the episodes that weren't on par were some of the fillers. They finally had enough time for production, staff and experience that the overall quality of the series was finally on par with some seasonal Shounen which was amazing.

I can only hope that Black Clover will be seasonal in the future too so that I can get back to this here. Also it's not sad to recruit people on Twitter ffs. The director didn't have any choice, because he wanted to show people what his team could do and he took the chance. Other webgeners noticed that too and joined BC or even other companies (oh hi there Bones) recruited people on Twitter.

MHA is a good seasonal anime that has lots of room to improve which is why I am not impressed with S4 output. S5 is good so far, but I hope we will have some banger episodes in the second half except for the Yutapon cut next week (?). A lot of the problems come from when Hori was sick (since the raid arc), but the studio missed the opportunity to improve stuff.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The only thing that consistently suffered from Hori's health was the chapter page count reflected here in JT, his drawings stayed very consistent except for the band performance chapter which really suffered from his health.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that consistently suffered from Hori's health was the chapter page count reflected here in JT, his drawings stayed very consistent except for the band performance chapter which really suffered from his health.

I didn't say a thing about his art. I am talking about the pacing since the raid arc and the whole arc itself which, at least to me, was the point where he lost his way for a time. The point where I started to be interested again is coming soon. Bones could have definitely improved some things since then (at least the concert was great), but they missed the opportunity for that. People back then even speculated that the arc would be improved and the opposite happened (holyshit Mirio you deserved more :()

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The animation was fine for the weakest match of the arc, when making a anime you have to pick and choose which episode deserves more time and effort, not every episode is going to get the same treatment so makes sense for the episode where Momo jobs gets lackluster animation as opposed to the ones that have Deku, Bakugo, or Todoroki fighting

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I didn't say a thing about his art. I am talking about the pacing since the raid arc and the whole arc itself which, at least to me, was the point where he lost his way for a time.
Ah I see. I think that had more to do with him not doing too well with longer arcs because his writing style starts to show its flaws when he does. People always complain about the mid-fight flashbacks but he loves doing that everywhere, but when they're concentrated in one place like in Overhaul it becomes distracting. I like the Overhaul arc and the culture festival is like a top three arc for me in the series but I do think after JT here he really hit his stride hard again so I agree there, but that's for another day.

Anyways glad to be past these fights and getting to the goods with our main boys. But I just remembered they put Bakugou's team up against some real literal whos compared to the likes of Tetsutetsu or Monoma lol