• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
where is the proof of this lol

rs_500x282-160824155427-tumblr_ndo3fjrKIZ1qcjdp7o1_500_1.gif

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It's clear that having the JT and EA arc back to back has killed most of the hype for the season, the anime viewers were already struggling with the first half being a dragged out training arc, they were promised by manga readers that would be followed up with a exciting unique arc with action and story progression but what got was another training meant to set up a better arc but without the context of the villain arc it's completely neutered, it's no wonder why people are losing interest when Bones adapted the worst arc in manga and followed that up by making the EA arc the worst arc in the anime

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that having the JT and EA arc back to back has killed most of the hype for the season, the anime viewers were already struggling with the first half being a dragged out training arc, they were promised by manga readers that would be followed up with a exciting unique arc with action and story progression but what got was another training meant to set up a better arc but without the context of the villain arc it's completely neutered, it's no wonder why people are losing interest when Bones adapted the worst arc in manga and followed that up by making the EA arc the worst arc in the anime
I just think this is a US centric pov.
MHA had one of its best rating in japanese TV when JT was airing, even beating OP that has wano

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
better than anedoctes at least
I could also post tv ratings
MHA is consistently in the top 10 for the first time in 5 seasons
Just that unless we have hard numbers (even those are from last year anyway so they don't work with Season 5) saying that people aren't getting annoyed now is kinda false

Last edited:

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I mean, people aren't enthusiastic on MyAnimeList or Reddit either. 5th season so far is the lowest rated season to date.

Also, since we're listing anecdotals, I have spoken with multiple people who are just gonna wait til this season is over with to binge it instead of continuing weekly.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough most people i have seen not liking is from the english speaking fandom, in the brazilian one most people is being ok with the anime
Yeah but that's not exclusive to season 5
I am just showing that there are reports about this stuff, if a future report shows that mha isnt as high it would be more proof than anedoctes

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I am just showing that there are reports about this stuff, if a future report shows that mha isnt as high it would be more proof than anedoctes

And I have seen multiple people that dont mind, see how anedoctes work
Funny enough most people i have seen not liking is from the english speaking fandom, the brazilian one is the one that i see most people being ok
No offense, but I feel you get really defensive when someone criticizes anything related to MHA

Edit: all right i will drop it

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Offense taken because this will just derail the thread again
You can just DM me if you have a problem, I want to talk about the issue at the hand that is the anime losing popularity or not. If you disagree with what I am arguing I will gladly disscuss it here

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Again with this? Guys, if you cannot stand the other person's opinions, use the ignore function. That's what it's there for.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess i can feel validated thinking Endeavor arc right after JT was a bad decision
That I can agree with, but now that the decision is made I just accepted and moved on. If I think about how things could be I wont be able to wacth anymore because everything will be made worse in my mind

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was willing to give it a chance, but at this point it's clear they really just did it to advertise the movie and not in any attempt to make improvements to the story. It's a shame the EA arc had to get sacrificed because it's still a very important one. Hopefully they can do the last part of it justice at least.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was willing to give it a chance, but at this point it's clear they really just did it to advertise the movie and not in any attempt to make improvements to the story. It's a shame the EA arc had to get sacrificed because it's still a very important one. Hopefully they can do the last part of it justice at least.
i think a good thing about this episode being one chapter is that the next one will be 3 meaning there is absolutely 0 sense the pacing will be spoiled by flashbacks.....

right?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
JT arc gets better treatment than the actual good arcs of the season lol

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will wait before saying that MVA has worse treatment but yeah EA definitely suffered a lot from this change. It is a very emotional arc in the manga, also while providing a bit of breathing between 2 heavy arcs.
The emotional aspect is still there, but part of it is gone because the impending danger of the army is diminished and instead of serving of a breathing moment it becomes more of a more of the same arc because it is adapted just after another low stakes training arc.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I guess i can feel validated thinking Endeavor arc right after JT was a bad decision
It wasn't an inherently bad idea. It certainly wasn't an inherently good idea either, but if it were thought through and structured properly, it would be a good way to build suspense and mystery throughout the season and let it all end on a big explosive climax.

Unfortunately, it seems like their thought process wasn't "What's the best way to adapt the series in seasonal anime form?" but rather "MOVIE, MOVIE, MOVIE! BIG BUCKS, BIG BUCKS!"

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
but if it were thought through and structured properly, it would be a good way to build suspense and mystery throughout the season and let it all end on a big explosive climax.
I gave up on that optimistic idea when they showed the league and shigaraki working with the army and showing too much of redestro face

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't an inherently bad idea. It certainly wasn't an inherently good idea either, but if it were thought through and structured properly, it would be a good way to build suspense and mystery throughout the season and let it all end on a big explosive climax.

Unfortunately, it seems like their thought process wasn't "What's the best way to adapt the series in seasonal anime form?" but rather "MOVIE, MOVIE, MOVIE! BIG BUCKS, BIG BUCKS!"

Honestly I will say it was a bad idea straight up because the JT arc is just way too boring of an arc to follow it up with another low-key arc, even with your idea of trying to structure it better. Nothing about the MVA arc's conclusion needs a mystery angle to it at all.

My big gripes with it aside, MVA was an exciting, action-packed follow up that no one was expecting following a training arc.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I will say it was a bad idea straight up because the JT arc is just way too boring of an arc to follow it up with another low-key arc, even with your idea of trying to structure it better. Nothing about the MVA arc's conclusion needs a mystery angle to it at all.

My big gripes with it aside, MVA was an exciting, action-packed follow up that no one was expecting following a training arc.
We're on same minds here

I was always that MVA wouldn't make for a good mystery when the conclusion is basically League is big now
How because league beat up another villain group
Like ok
And fairness to Hori he didn't write it for a mystery in mind

Doesn't matter since they showed that important members are alive

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why my post provoked such a defensive response, but you asked a generic question without specifics, so I gave my viewpoint. Apologies if I somehow caused offense, but my statements are based on what I've read from others.
Because anedoctes aren't proof of anything, I just wanted to be clear.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the new movie will even do in the new era of canonical Shonen movies.

Who am I kidding, it'll do fine.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I wonder how the new movie will even do in the new era of canonical Shonen movies.

Who am I kidding, it'll do fine.

I'm curious how it does in theaters. Surely it won't be Demon Slayer tier in Japan.

And how will it be overseas? Heroes Rising did decently but uh this is a different world now. I wonder if it even comes out over here this year.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
For some reason I'm not feeling this one unlike the other previous ones, it looks so fillerish and the villain' looks uninteresting (doesn't help that is the reason for the unnecessary changes in this season)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Ending does kinda feel like a filler villain lol, everyone reads this arc for the Todorki drama and Endeavor's talk with Natsuo

This was another thing that made me super skeptical when all this started happening. There's a flow to how stories pace their arcs and some arcs are more serious than the low key arcs like JT and EA. Putting them together just kills the intended pace entirely.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Sorry i meant the villain from the new movie lol, but yes Ending feels like filler since simply comes out of nowhere

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

I thought this thread was interesting for the conversations here, especially the post in the tweet after about what they saw from the Japanese fandom's side of the MVA arc getting moved around.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

I thought this thread was interesting for the conversations here, especially the post in the tweet after about what they saw from the Japanese fandom's side of the MVA arc getting moved around.

The drop is significant for week 1 sales compared to the volumes immediately prior, but it makes up for it with higher than average week 2 sales. I have no idea what this means.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA has a lot of backlog sales, so one month doesnt really show how much each volume sells, pretty much all volumes have beaten 700k with most over 1M

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I mean I can't give a hard number on this, but MHA is in the top 3 most popular shows on Crunchyroll with One Piece and Boruto pretty much all the time when it's airing a new season. MHA S5 leads off Toonami which is basically the only anime block on US television. While US Nielsen ratings aren't the most useful metric in 2021 you can find a list of them here https://toonamifaithful.com/category/ratings/ spoilers MHA is the most popular show on the Toonami block.

Also lets be real here, shows like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach had god awful pacing for years and that never stopped them from being incredibly popular through their runs. Heck you don't even need to have good animation or pacing if people are hooked on the story and characters.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I can't give a hard number on this, but MHA is in the top 3 most popular shows on Crunchyroll with One Piece and Boruto pretty much all the time when it's airing a new season. MHA S5 leads off Toonami which is basically the only anime block on US television. While US Nielsen ratings aren't the most useful metric in 2021 you can find a list of them here https://toonamifaithful.com/category/ratings/ spoilers MHA is the most popular show on the Toonami block.

Also lets be real here, shows like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach had god awful pacing for years and that never stopped them from being incredibly popular through their runs. Heck you don't even need to have good animation or pacing if people are hooked on the story and characters.
Thanks for the research

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Meanwhile, those shows were/are weekly and MHA is seasonal with a poorly paced season. The former have an excuse, the latter doesn't.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

That's not a accurate assessment when the majority of Vol 23 is the JT arc, even the volume cover is JT