• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt like atonement makes the most sense for what sort of development has happened so far.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A shonen jump manga shouldn't even try giving a domestic abuser a redemption arc at all. It's like if Ozai got a redemption arc in the Zuko plotline in ATLA.

Probably not, still find it weird he got to lead his own arc to be frank when there's so many other characters to choose from like Uraraka.

But his storyline is by far the best written thing in this series for some time now, so it is what it is I guess.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
A shonen jump manga shouldn't even try giving a domestic abuser a redemption arc at all. It's like if Ozai got a redemption arc in the Zuko plotline in ATLA.
I think their deal is more complex than that and a great deal of his abuse would be rooted in neglect for his family outside of his prefect eugenics baby.

Might not be something this manga is willing to dive into (complex feelings of being trapped in a loveless arranged marriage with a powerful man you USE to love but has since let his obsession drive him to using you for a child that could go beyond him, resulting in the neglect of your other children and somehow the "death" of one ... resulting in misplaced resentment towards that golden child who he cherishes so much who happens to be the only 1 of the 2 you can hurt. That's some high level thought for a punchy manga) so his redemption will prob feel hollow.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's his character ranking

Part of me thinks Hori would rather do more on the adult characters than most of students

Idk what you mean by character ranking, like the popularity polls?

And I've definitely started to feel that way about the adults as of late. On one hand I don't really blame him. They're more interesting/more powerful and there's an in-universe reason to keep the kids away from the "real" villains. On the other hand it's kind of a bummer that they're taking up so much focus this arc.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not, still find it weird he got to lead his own arc to be frank when there's so many other characters to choose from like Uraraka.

But his storyline is by far the best written thing in this series for some time now, so it is what it is I guess.
Yeah, it's been handled extremely well so far, so I don't mind this "redemption" arc for Endeavor. It's not hand waving away his previous crimes at all.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
It probably speaks volumes that we've spent the last 15/16 chapters freaking out about the adults potentially dying instead of the kids.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The article is very bad, not only it assumes a lot of things, the manga directly contradicts a lot of its points
I'm completely shocked people don't care about the kids who get literally zero screentime.
Really "zero", cmon dont do this
Yeah, it's been handled extremely well so far, so I don't mind this "redemption" arc for Endeavor. It's not hand waving away his previous crimes at all.
He isnt being redeemed
There is a difference between redemption and atonement

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
The main issues I have with Endeavour's arc have to do with Rei and Fuyumi:

1) The "he remembered my favourite flower!" bit was garbage-tier writing, and stands out conspicuously against the more realistic reactions of Shouto and Natsuo, which are otherwise well-written.
2) I know it's a shonen. But Horikoshi had Shouto introduce Endeavour by bringing up quirk marriages, and more or less stating their marriage wasn't consensual. You can't heavily imply Endeavour is a serial sexual abuser and then basically ignore it once you realize you initially made him too much of a monster.
3) Fuyumi continuously shaming Natsuo for his feelings and giving Endeavour Shouto's number without his consent was so ungodly fucked up.

Also, as well-written as parts of it are, unless it ends with Endeavour admitting to his crimes and faces actual legal punishment, I think any attempts at atonement ring hollow. He systemically tortured his family for decades, and used his wealth and power to cover it up. No matter how hard he tries to atone, the implications are going to be problematic if he doesn't face actual justice.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The main issues I have with Endeavour's arc have to do with Rei and Fuyumi:

1) The "he remembered my favourite flower!" bit was garbage-tier writing, and stands out conspicuously against the more realistic reactions of Shouto and Natsuo, which are otherwise well-written.
2) I know it's a shonen. But Horikoshi had Shouto introduce Endeavour by bringing up quirk marriages, and more or less stating their marriage wasn't consensual. You can't heavily imply Endeavour is a serial sexual abuser and then basically ignore it once you realize you initially made him too much of a monster.
3) Fuyumi continuously shaming Natsuo for his feelings and giving Endeavour Shouto's number without his consent was so ungodly fucked up.

Also, as well-written as parts of it are, unless it ends with Endeavour admitting to his crimes and faces actual legal punishment, I think any attempts at atonement ring hollow. He systemically tortured his family for decades, and used his wealth and power to cover it up. No matter how hard he tries to atone, the implications are going to be problematic if he doesn't face actual justice.
The problem with this argument is
1) It wasn't to show Rei has forgiven him, but that she acknowlegeds that he is trying to change, it doesnt mean she wants to go back to being her wife
2)He is introduced by hateful Shoto's lens, we have never seen how they married on if sexually abused her, so it is a huge jump to assume so
3)Fuyumi had to be basically the mother to Shoto and Natsuo and had her family broken apart very early in her life, she just wants to have a happy family, she is putting her own desires over what is right and while it makes her look petty it is still realistic

Anyway I think you are assuming a lot of things that endeavor did because of our limited knowledge

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Hmm yeah, it seems that the Todoroki women are the most "forgiving" in the family, or at least they don't show as much as hatred that the Todoroki brothers do.
Kinda echoes the issue about how Horikoshi writes women characters (but hey it's an issue in most shounen manga in general, it's disappointing).

Also this is really well done:

Ooh this is pure angst and feels right there and I like it a lot, I should check this channel!

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
The problem with this argument is
1) It wasn't to show Rei has forgiven him, but that she acknowlegeds that he is trying to change, it doesnt mean she wants to go back to being her wife
2)He is introduced by hateful Shoto's lens, we have never seen how they married on if sexually abused her, so it is a huge jump to assume so
3)Fuyumi had to be basically the mother to Shoto and Natsuo and had her family broken apart very early in her life, she just wants to have a happy family, she is putting her own desires over what is right and while it makes her look petty it is still realistic

Anyway I think you are assuming a lot of things that endeavor did because of our limited knowledge

1) I didn't say she forgave him. I said it was bad writing.
2) Shouto was initially our only lens on Endeavour. It was how he was introduced. And It's absolutely not a huge jump, it was how the reader was supposed to interpret it at the time. Also, nowhere in the text is it shown or even implied that Shouto's recollections of Endeavour's abuse are untrustworthy because he hated him. It's possible it was a mistake, because Shouto didn't have all the data, but it absolutely should be addressed.
3) I know that. I was just pointing out how fucked it was, and again, it's never addressed or analyzed the same way Natsuo's feelings are.

The problem is that Shouto, Endeavour and Natsuo's reactions are all given nuance, while the Todoroki women, and the primary victim of Endeavour's abuse especially, are portrayed as being more forgiving, and those views are less scrutinized.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm yeah, it seems that the Todoroki women are the most "forgiving" in the family, or at least they don't show as much as hatred that the Todoroki brothers do.
Kinda echoes the issue about how Horikoshi writes women characters (but hey it's an issue in most shounen manga in general, it's disappointing).
This take is quite a jump, Shoto is also said to be forgiving, by Deku himself, and he was the one that suffered the most.
1) I didn't say she forgave him. I said it was bad writing.
2) Shouto was initially our only lens on Endeavour. It was how he was introduced. And It's absolutely not a huge jump, it was how the reader was supposed to interpret it at the time. Also, nowhere in the text is it shown or even implied that Shouto's recollections of Endeavour's abuse are untrustworthy because he hated him. It's possible it was a mistake, because Shouto didn't have all the data, but it absolutely should be addressed.
3) I know that. I was just pointing out how fucked it was, and again, it's never addressed or analyzed the same way Natsuo's feelings are.

The problem is that Shouto, Endeavour and Natsuo's reactions are all given nuance, while the Todoroki women, and the primary victim of Endeavour's abuse especially, are portrayed as being more forgiving, and those views are less scrutinized.
1)You disliking it doesnt make it a bad writing, explain how it is bad writing
2)So you agree that is a jump to assume anything about his past.
3)Except Endeavor himself points that out in his inner thoghts.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
This take is quite a jump, Shoto is also said to be forgiving, by Deku himself, and he was the one that suffered the most.

1)You disliking it doesnt make it a bad writing, explain how it is bad writing
2)So you agree that is a jump to assume anything about his past.
3)Except Endeavor himself points that out in his inner thoghts.

1) It's bad writing because even if she doesn't forgive him, it was still a cheap bit of character shilling by having the main target of his abuse go "hey look, he's trying to change, see? He remembered a flower!"
2) I - what?
3) The fact it was Endeavour's inner thoughts, and not Rei or Fuyumi's, sort of proves my criticism.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
1) It's bad writing because even if she doesn't forgive him, it was still a cheap bit of character shilling by having the main target of his abuse go "hey look, he's trying to change, see? He remembered a flower!"
2) I - what?
3) The fact it was Endeavour's inner thoughts, and not Rei or Fuyumi's, sort of proves my criticism.
1)Nah it really isnt character shilling, I already explained why it happenned
3)You also have Fuyumi herself admitting she just wants to have a family again

Honestly i think people need to reread both arcs before claiming anything harsh because there are a lot of tiny details that can be forgotten and helps understand the dynamic of the situation

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Hm, could be argued that Rei's comment on the flower is some kind of a consequence from the abuse. Sometimes victims do react this way towards their abuser when they "change".

Shoto still hasn't forgiven Endeavor yet but he's acknowledging that he's trying to atone. And before that, he really despised his father though.
But obviously Shoto is a much more developed character than the rest of the family because he is one of the main protags, so him trying to forgive his father is part of his character development and all that. What I meant is that the Todoroki brothers openly expressed their disdain towards Endeavor but the women, eh, not really?

But despite that, I like how the Todoroki family drama is handled and I cannot wait to see more of it, definitely curious to see how it will turn out

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Endeavor literally said he doesn't expect/want forgiveness or redemption anymore and that now he's trying to atone. They can be kind of different things depending on the definition, but I don't know what the words were in Japanese - maybe there is a different meaning.
So he will probably either make a big sacrifice or let Dabi kill him. Either way he will give his life.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Endeavor getting dequirked and then outed as an abuser by Dabi would be more interesting than my being killed off imo. I wanna see how he'd deal with the fallout from that.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dabi is not the type of person to 'go public'. He's a manipulator and revels in teasing. And then after that he will just want to kill you.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, I read that article a while back, wrote some stuff up about it on Discord.

It's true that the trans representation in the series is a very mixed bag. Idk how much better you can realistically expect out of Shonen Jump. I like that the effort was made, but it definitely could be better. Ditto LGBT representation generally. Magne isn't really presented as a joke, but like, she's also killed for the drama, which as representation goes... sucks. Tiger is presented a bit more jokingly and also is that kind of trans representation where it's like "they're totally trans you just have to read the data books" which, lets' be real, it's 2020. That doesn't count. I'd like to believe Hori would do more with less editorial control, but that's just me projecting, afaik.

The politics of hero society I think are my one big disagreement with the thesis of the article. It's sort of been a recurring theme that while the villains might not be right about everything, they're not wrong that the system as it is is a little bit fucked. Like, they use, "Hero-Killer Stain" as a go-to example of how simple and wrong the villains are, but he's actually broadly popular in-universe precisely because people sort of resonated with his message that too many heroes are just for-profit enforcers of the status quo - and it's not something that the series tries to downplay, either. Gentle is presented as being failed by society, that he's a good guy who just didn't manage to meet some unreasonable standards, and as such he's forced to act from the outside. Some of the LoV members get similar treatment, Toga and Spinner especially (Twice too, to an extent, but it's important remember he started as a fairly normal villain). And the cops... idk, there's this thing that I've been thinking is gonna be more relevant in the future, where the cops are fed up with the heroes but for the wrong reasons, wanting more latitude to use force, even while the government has their own killer hero on staff in Hawks. I don't think it's really as affirmative of the system as the article thinks it is.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't expect much in the way of good trans representation from a manga that has Mineta. I was reading the part today where he told Eri to 'look him up in 10 years'. Can he just be removed from every panel he's in? It wouldn't make a difference to the story at all. Worst part of the manga.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Damn I was wondering what spawned that thread in Off-topic and I arrive here late smh

Wait, what's all this about people caring about the adults more than the kids? I thought this was a villain manga and Shigaraki was the main character????

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Endeavor's arc, tbh. I grew up in a broken home with a pretty shitty dad, and like, the recognition that he fucked up and has no right to their forgiveness and they have no obligation to like him - even though some of them feel like they want to? That reads... really real, to me. I don't think he can be redeemed, but I also don't think that's where the story is going, exactly. He's just complex.

And tbh I would agree with the take that the adults are generally more interesting, and were more interesting right off the bat. It's not like we haven't gotten spotlight arcs for any of the kids, it's just that the adults are generally better constructed characters. Maybe after a timeskip the kids can catch up.
I wouldn't expect much in the way of good trans representation from a manga that has Mineta. I was reading the part today where he told Eri to 'look him up in 10 years'. Can he just be removed from every panel he's in? It wouldn't make a difference to the story at all. Worst part of the manga.
I would hugely prefer that they remove Mineta, but he's supposed to be the butt of the joke. Which, granted, doesn't excuse the joke itself being creepy as hell, but like, he's not supposed to be a model for behavior, at least.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I need to increase my weekly manga titles to read.

My Hero is on a break. One Piece get leaked early so only got Black Clover this Sunday. Next week One Piece on a break too. :(

Soma/Promised Neverland while both went to shit, at least I had something to read.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Preach!

I need to increase my weekly manga titles to read.

My Hero is on a break. One Piece get leaked early so only got Black Clover this Sunday. Next week One Piece on a break too. :(

Soma/Promised Neverland while both went to shit, at least I had something to read.

Holy shit, start Chainsaw Man, Dr Stone, and Spy X Family

Chainsaw is the most offbeat series in Shounen Jump, it's genuinely good in a way that stands out easily from the usual battle shounen. Also has the most intimidating character in Jump right now

Dr Stone is like the science version of One Piece in a sense

Spy X Family is a chill, sickeningly sweet (and also hilarious) biweekly series that may or may not give you diabetes

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Lotus

I didn't like Dr. Stone, sadly.

As for others I want to but usually I read the manga after one season. Also getting older means I don't want to pirate/go to some sketchy websites to read manga. Right now manga plus doesn't need VPN but only offers latest chapters. Otherwise I'd sub in a heartbeat.

Viz is sadly region locked.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lotus

I didn't like Dr. Stone, sadly.

As for others I want to but usually I read the manga after one season. Also getting older means I don't want to pirate/go to some sketchy websites to read manga. Right now manga plus doesn't need VPN but only offers latest chapters. Otherwise I'd sub in a heartbeat.

Viz is sadly region locked.

Damn that sucks, hopefully Mangaplus will improve one day

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
And I've definitely started to feel that way about the adults as of late. On one hand I don't really blame him. They're more interesting/more powerful and there's an in-universe reason to keep the kids away from the "real" villains. On the other hand it's kind of a bummer that they're taking up so much focus this arc.
This is why I've assumed they're going to winnow the ranks of the adults in general.

On the Endeavor arc as a whole, I'm generally fine now in that he's acknowledged his wrongdoing and lives in a different place from the rest of the family. That is, largely, probably the best for a redemptive arc in terms of that type of character: he doesn't necessarily deserve the happy ending and it's more about healing the wounds that he made. I was a little fuzzy on certain aspects, but overall, it turned out fine.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I've assumed they're going to winnow the ranks of the adults in general.

On the Endeavor arc as a whole, I'm generally fine now in that he's acknowledged his wrongdoing and lives in a different place from the rest of the family. That is, largely, probably the best for a redemptive arc in terms of that type of character: he doesn't necessarily deserve the happy ending and it's more about healing the wounds that he made. I was a little fuzzy on certain aspects, but overall, it turned out fine.

The last big thing I personally (emphasis on personally) need from him is to be publicly outed somehow. Other than that it's surprisingly been smooth sailing so far.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The public outing is what Dabi is for. Though how public remains to be seen. Some key characters like Deku will probably learn, but there isn't exactly random bystanders and news helicopters in the area this time around.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Endeavor gets outed and Tameda becomes the successor of Stain and one of the main characters, mark it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this whole "it needs to have this" about a character arc to work is wrong
I get it, people want Endeavor to be outed because they feel it is the correct thing. The problem is nailing that this is the only way things should go and if it isn't done that way it is bad writing or something

Anyway this is something that I have been seeing a lot of american fans that I dont see with brazilian fans. That, together with other things I have seen in other fandoms, makes me think american fans are more prone to being entitled

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It would be interesting to see Endeavor get cancelled, but the end goal is still really the same. He will perform a great act to atone regardless if the public hates him. If the public finds out then it could be another example which causes people to lose faith in heroes. That is what the villains want - to show everyone that the so-called heroes are not heroic; they merely put on the appearance of a hero while having their own arbitrary sense of justice. This is what Twice said as Hawks was trying to murder him. I might be on board with cancellation. The man is suffering pretty hard already though.

Last edited:

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
I think it's pretty common that people want an arc to go in a certain direction, we all have our own expectations. I do understand that sometimes fans shouldn't cling on to them too much or else their disappointment would be even greater.

I'd be on board for the "public outing" too because I wanna see the characters' reaction to it and how much it'd affect the public's perception on pro heroes (haha I like Endeavor a lot, he's become one of my favorite characters but I kinda want to see him suffer in the end, the irony).
For sure, it cannot end with a happy reunion with his family, this is not what he's looking for anyway.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Sucks not having a chapter this week, but I'm glad Hori is taking a well deserved break. Hope he's kicking his feet up somewhere reading Amazing

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
No chapter this week. Kimetsu done. Started with One Piece this week. Feels weird. Started reading Chainsaw Man last night though. Really enjoying it, though it's false advertising cause I came here for the chainsaw doggo.
Lol yeah I think they absolutely keep Vergil from the base games so we all go out and buy the special editions. Did the rumor you saw say anything about a playable Lady or Trish?
Yup! Just like in DMC4SE. It'd be a bit of a problem for me if the rumor's true though, since that would make yet another title to add to my list of games to get for the next-gen launch... Hah.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

This is a really good theory and it makes sense since Shigaraki is likely going to go to Tartarus next to free AFO which he can do so. All-Might revealing to Shigaraki that Nana was killed by AFO is an intresting theory and i definetly agree the theory that All-Might's final moments will be showing kindless to Shigaraki

Here's also another intresting theory:

MHA Volume Cover:
EbL4iFyXYAcTu-R

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Sick cover and great sketch. Love the trio in the background, especially Deku's expression. Kinda feeling mixed about the background of the cover though...

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Like the cover though I don't think a background would've hurt it
No chapter this week. Kimetsu done. Started with One Piece this week. Feels weird. Started reading Chainsaw Man last night though. Really enjoying it, though it's false advertising cause I came here for the chainsaw doggo.

Yup! Just like in DMC4SE. It'd be a bit of a problem for me if the rumor's true though, since that would make yet another title to add to my list of games to get for the next-gen launch... Hah.
One Piece is worth it, though I haven't fully caught up yet myself.

Wait, the rumor says it might be a next gen launch title?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.