• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Also about last chapter, what was about Shigaraki falling down when he was going towards Deku? I can't remember if I asked already but I still have no idea what happened there.

You mean at the end? Dragon lady hero sent him flying (he tried to turn her to dust but Aizawa saved her by erasing his quirk).

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Also about last chapter, what was about Shigaraki falling down when he was going towards Deku? I can't remember if I asked already but I still have no idea what happened there.
When I first saw it, I assumed he crashed as if he malfunctioned from the incomplete transformation. Looking at it now though... I have no idea. Right after crashing he switched gears to track Deku's new position though, so I suppose it's something related to the change in direction.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
You mean at the end? Dragon lady hero sent him flying (he tried to turn her to dust but Aizawa saved her by erasing his quirk).
Nah at the start of the chapter

When I first saw it, I assumed he crashed as if he malfunctioned from the incomplete transformation. Looking at it now though... I have no idea. Right after crashing he switched gears to track Deku's new position though, so I suppose it's something related to the change in direction.
I made the same assumption, but Shigaraki didn't comment on it so it looks like he used his neck to change his trajectory lmao

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

It was a bit weird that sequence, my interpretation of it was he sensed Deku with search and immediately switched his focus, but his body couldn't keep up? Maybe because of as you suggested, he isn't fully baked?

Even Caleb had to go away and figure it out lol:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I assure all of you the hypothetical sketch of shiggy ass was not what I expected when I came back here lmao

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I made the same assumption, but Shigaraki didn't comment on it so it looks like he used his neck to change his trajectory lmao
It was a bit weird that sequence, my interpretation of it was he sensed Deku with search and immediately switched his focus, but his body couldn't keep up? Maybe because of as you suggested, he isn't fully baked?

I checked the chapter again and apparently Shiggy was already landing from his previous hop when he crashed his head down like that... uhh, it's even weirder now, lol. Dimple's suggestion makes sense, I think that's it. His body was maybe going to crash already (maybe it needed a break cause not fully baked?) but he still noticed Deku's movement so his head swiveled at the last moment or something.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

.....took me a sec to realize what I was looking at here. lol All I saw was a butt and something coming out from under it....

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed Shiggy's 10.0 landing was because he hasn't used those types of powers at all and just doesn't know what he's doing. Deku probably would have done the same thing too after making a giant leap with OfA and not thinking it through. Difference is, Shiggy doesn't need to think it through since he'll just regenerate from a pesky thing like a broken neck.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that panel with the botched landing just felt like he wasn't used to his newfound strength to me.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think Shigaraki's "hang on a second" thought bubble means anything besides "get back here", it kind of stuck out to me.
He's rustling in his pockets for the bullets in the second to last panel
Aizawa is pretty far away. Don't think he could use it before plummeting to the ground and getting jumped by everyone (Endeavor can't be too far behind).

That said the league can probably show up for the save or I am just discounting whatever non quirk enhancements his time in the tank have him.

Better theory, he reaches too aggressively for the bullet in his pocket and accidentally dequirks himself.

Imagine all of this build up, just to lose almost immediately. That would be some straight up bullshit.
Would be a pyrrhic victory for the heroes after the devastating loss of X-Less, Crust, Funkman, and all those people Toga murdered.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That was in 2015. He has since been almost a non-entity, present but not all that meaningful. And hey, I don't even like Iida, but I can acknowledge if you did, you're probably not getting lunch. My Hero is one of my favorites, but you can look at Jigokuraku or Jujutsu Kaisen, and a slightly better handing of an ensemble cast. Horokoshi's got his meat—Deku, Bakugo, and then Todoroki—and I'm saying he could be better about serving up the potatoes.
Series that are much smaller than mha so you can't really compare

Anyway mha does give a lot of spotlight to its side characters but it is more spread, other series have less characters so it gives a false impression they get more spotlight
Do we think Shigaraki's "hang on a second" thought bubble means anything besides "get back here", it kind of stuck out to me.

Aizawa is pretty far away. Don't think he could use it before plummeting to the ground and getting jumped by everyone (Endeavor can't be too far behind).

That said the league can probably show up for the save or I am just discounting whatever non quirk enhancements his time in the tank have him.

Better theory, he reaches too aggressively for the bullet in his pocket and accidentally dequirks himself.

Would be a pyrrhic victory for the heroes after the devastating loss of X-Less, Crust, Funkman, and all those people Toga murdered.
Mirko also lost an arm, Hawks is at minimum scarred for life and eraser broke a leg

There's plenty of potential if horikoshi wants to go that route but I don't necessarily agree the villains will use

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Hmm, good point. Though I don't think it's impossible for him to be defeated with the joint forces of all the heroes. Maybe he barely escapes or something. Just a random idea. I'd be okay with him getting nerfed (I expect something will go wrong since his transformation didn't finish at 100%) anyway, as long as it's not done in a way that makes the villains lose. I want the villains to win because I think that'd be more interesting route for the story, but at the same time... I do also still want the school stuff to be there. I want it to continue cause I enjoy it a great deal and want to see the kids having a good time. If we wound up with a broken society, it's hard to imagine it not being doom and gloom most of the time.
Don't get me wrong, the villains have to walk away with a W here, but we all have different ideas on what that entails and how much of a victory it should be. I see them being forced to leave because something happens with Shiggy, not because the heroes push them back or something

I still believe there's a sweet spot where things are noticeably different in society but not so far gone yet that school is completely out of the question.
I really don't know where the story will go from here, and I don't have concrete ideas for how I'd like it to play out if I'm being honest. I just hope whatever Horikoshi goes with will be satisfying.
Nobody knows man lol. I could be completely wrong. I just look at the story and what's happening and try to go from there. Whatever happens, as long as it's satisfying I'm open to it

Also, sweet Vergil avatar!

tumblr_pns4fyKngL1y526vqo1_r1_500.gif

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Don't get me wrong, the villains have to walk away with a W here, but we all have different ideas on what that entails and how much of a victory it should be. I see them being forced to leave because something happens with Shiggy, not because the heroes push them back or something
I'd like that. I can imagine his body failing at a critical point because of the incomplete transformation so despite having the upper ground (maybe? like prior to Shiggy malfunctioning) the villains decide to retreat. Ideally, if something like this happens, the heroes will have already been dealt a massive blow that changes things big time.
I still believe there's a sweet spot where things are noticeably different in society but not so far gone yet that school is completely out of the question.
Hmm, yeah, I think this can still happen. Especially given the series' basic premise, it seems almost a necessity for the school to still play a role. I just hope that if that is the case, it won't seem as if this arc didn't happen and that there are proper repercussions. Aside from, say, Aizawa or some other teachers no longer being in the picture. The school's operation ought to be affected somehow.
Also, sweet Vergil avatar!

tumblr_pns4fyKngL1y526vqo1_r1_500.gif
Been meaning to change and I very recently saw some DMC5SE rumors (4chan though, lol) floating around so... *wishes it into existence*

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I'd like that. I can imagine his body failing at a critical point because of the incomplete transformation so despite having the upper ground (maybe? like prior to Shiggy malfunctioning) the villains decide to retreat. Ideally, if something like this happens, the heroes will have already been dealt a massive blow that changes things big time.
Yeah, some shenanigans of that variety is what I'm leaning towards. Kinda like when there's a hype fusion or transformation in DBZ but they run out of time before they can claim complete victory
Hmm, yeah, I think this can still happen. Especially given the series' basic premise, it seems almost a necessity for the school to still play a role. I just hope that if that is the case, it won't seem as if this arc didn't happen and that there are proper repercussions. Aside from, say, Aizawa or some other teachers no longer being in the picture. The school's operation ought to be affected somehow.
I agree. Maybe something happens where they have to work with other schools more? Hori kinda already teased that at the end of the remedial license exam and having an influx of new students and teachers could make a second sports festival or summer break fresh again.

Plus it puts us one step closer to Bakugo x Camie 😎
Been meaning to change and I very recently saw some DMC5SE rumors (4chan though, lol) floating around so... *wishes it into existence*
Ah, I see! DMC5 SE is practically guaranteed imo. You know Capcom. It's not a question of if Capcom will milk a game with ports and new editions, but how when lol. I'm hoping we get playable Vergil and maybe even a combined RE2/RE3 remake next gen

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
What's your favorite chapter of the arc so far?
Mine would be the climax of Twice versus Hawks. Hori did a really good job of building up the tension and the fight itself felt very desperate and scrappy. It was a great conclusion to twice's story too.
Runner-ups would be the chapter where Miruko goes ham and the chapter where Shigaraki wakes up and begins his rampage.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Twice stuff was definitely my favorite, though I've been thoroughly enjoying this arc as a whole. It feels like Horikoshi at his best.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The end of the Twice stuff, Miruko blasting through Nomus, and that dream sequence with Shigaraki has been my favorite parts

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For me, it has to be Mirko busting heads. Jesus, what a fight. Short, sweet, and oh-so visceral.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
As much as I love Mirko

It has to be the chapter where Hawks not only cheated death but killed the villain fan favorite Twice.

tenor.gif

Still makes me smile lol

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Twice's final scene with that last clone trying to give Toga the hanky really got to me. Damn, that was a gut punch.

Bones better drop everything and go Plus Ultra on this arc, cuz it's gonna blow anime onlies away if they bring their A-game. No more fucking movies, please.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Twice's final scene with that last clone trying to give Toga the hanky really got to me. Damn, that was a gut punch.

Bones better drop everything and go Plus Ultra on this arc, cuz it's gonna blow anime onlies away if they bring their A-game. No more fucking movies, please.
If they do... my god.

I went back and reread those Mirko chapters to get some screens.

iShUe4n.png

0v7uX65.png

tdDW4Xd.png

9z0vSWk.png

G3UAA6q.png

NG2nLUh.png

God, it'll be a hell of an arc if they put in the work.

Your fave could never. Mirko for main cast.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Horikoshi has just been flexing with his panel work in this arc. His paneling is honestly my favorite in Jump right now.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
If they do... my god.

I went back and reread those Mirko chapters to get some screens.

iShUe4n.png

0v7uX65.png

tdDW4Xd.png

9z0vSWk.png

G3UAA6q.png

NG2nLUh.png

God, it'll be a hell of an arc if they put in the work.

Your fave could never. Mirko for main cast.
Absolutely these. Mirko the GOAT.

Sorry Bakugo, you are no longer the BakuGOAT. You've been demoted.
Yeah, some shenanigans of that variety is what I'm leaning towards. Kinda like when there's a hype fusion or transformation in DBZ but they run out of time before they can claim complete victory
Lmao, great comparison.
I agree. Maybe something happens where they have to work with other schools more? Hori kinda already teased that at the end of the remedial license exam and having an influx of new students and teachers could make a second sports festival or summer break fresh again.

Plus it puts us one step closer to Bakugo x Camie 😎
Hey! That could legit work. Like, the schools having diminished resources due to the loss of some staff members and whatnot could be one reason to push for joint schooling instead or something.

I do so miss our quartet of delinquents. They need a comeback!
Ah, I see! DMC5 SE is practically guaranteed imo. You know Capcom. It's not a question of if Capcom will milk a game with ports and new editions, but how when lol. I'm hoping we get playable Vergil and maybe even a combined RE2/RE3 remake next gen
I only realized recently that Vergil only really becomes playable in rereleases, even outside of DMC. I bought UMvC3 when I got a PS3 so I forgot that Vergil originally wasn't in the base game. But yeah, I never doubted the existence of DMC5SE, it was just a matter of time. Hopefully the rumor is right that it's coming soon, among other things.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Hey! That could legit work. Like, the schools having diminished resources due to the loss of some staff members and whatnot could be one reason to push for joint schooling instead or something.

I do so miss our quartet of delinquents. They need a comeback!
I really liked how those four played off each other, the remedial lesson quartet is underrated
I only realized recently that Vergil only really becomes playable in rereleases, even outside of DMC. I bought UMvC3 when I got a PS3 so I forgot that Vergil originally wasn't in the base game. But yeah, I never doubted the existence of DMC5SE, it was just a matter of time. Hopefully the rumor is right that it's coming soon, among other things.
Lol yeah I think they absolutely keep Vergil from the base games so we all go out and buy the special editions. Did the rumor you saw say anything about a playable Lady or Trish?
He's been flexing a lot, the art has all been fantastic. I really hope they pull out all the stops here.
Yeah I've been looking at those panels you posted and man, he might be doing his best work this arc. Some of the paneling is rivaling Dragonball, which to me is the gold standard. It doesn't flow quite as cleanly as Toriyama but it's a tad more expressive

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked how those four played off each other, the remedial lesson quartet is underrated

Lol yeah I think they absolutely keep Vergil from the base games so we all go out and buy the special editions. Did the rumor you saw say anything about a playable Lady or Trish?

Yeah I've been looking at those panels you posted and man, he might be doing his best work this arc. Some of the paneling is rivaling Dragonball, which to me is the gold standard. It doesn't flow quite as cleanly as Toriyama but it's a tad more expressive
You can really see the range in the first two - one is a vignette, the other is a frozen moment, and both are fantastic.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's soo good. I love where the second panel's frozen at too. Mirko is getting grabbed but you can also see she just busted open a Nomu's head/hand with her leg.
Yup. And I gotta believe, no background - that was a choice. It draws the eye exactly where it's supposed to go and lends to the sense of stillness. Ugh, so good.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Don't expect good paneling from the anime lol
Well yeah, but the idea would be they get as close as possible to adapting the fights well. Basically do what they did with Endeavor vs High End or one of my favorite fights Stain vs 1-A students. The impact shots were translated from the manga beautifully in those fights and everything was high energy. The flow felt right, you know?

I just don't want a repeat of season 4 where it felt like they did nothing to try to translate the energy of some fights from the manga. Deku vs Gentle comes to mind, as it feels forgettable in the anime but in the manga it's one of the best fights

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Magne's character and death was mishandled by Hori, I'd agree on that much.
A lot of the rest there doesn't make as much sense to me. Hawks offering to help Twice leave his villainy behind, as well as the example of Gentle, are strong examples of the heroes, and the narrative generally, acknowledging that crime is more than just "some people bad". Toga and Spinner have these issues as part of the stories too. Toga could be seen as being "born bad", but the truth was that she was never given the support she needed.

The stuff about AfO not fitting into the real world, sociologically understood understanding of crime... He's a classic super-villain, out of an escapist, power-fantasy manga. So like yeah, but so?
If stuff like this makes MHA reactionary or conservative, it's only as much and maybe less than other stories of it's type.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
There better be no fucking movies during the villain arc

At least sacrifice the exam arc

Also who wants to see Bakugo in UA cheerleader outfit

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It also says everyone is acknowledging that Endeavor wants to change but Natsuo hasn't
Natsuo is in denial but at least the story frames it as Endeavor doesn't deserve his forgiveness

Magne's character and death was mishandled by Hori, I'd agree on that much.
A lot of the rest there doesn't make as much sense to me. Hawks offering to help Twice leave his villainy behind, as well as the example of Gentle, are strong examples of the heroes, and the narrative generally, acknowledging that crime is more than just "some people bad". Toga and Spinner have these issues as part of the stories too. Toga could be seen as being "born bad", but the truth was that she was never given the support she needed.

The stuff about AfO not fitting into the real world, sociologically understood understanding of crime... He's a classic super-villain, out of an escapist, power-fantasy manga. So like yeah, but so?
If stuff like this makes MHA reactionary or conservative, it's only as much and maybe less than other stories of it's type.
AFO is basically a guy larping as a supervillain
His backstory us literally he was bored guy who likes a comic book got powers and decided he's Doctor Doom

Twice at least is also a victim of circumstances he was basically forced into crime and suffered a mental breakdown and no one but the villains helped him

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The way I see it either Shiggy has to get nerfed or gimped and go into hiding after dealing this massive blow to the heroes and Japan in general OR everyone has to evacuate Japan and train in hiding for a time skip.

What do you do when this dude can just send a wave of decay through out that much of the land when ever he wants apparently? He either gets popped or they leave Japan.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
There are some points that I agree with in the article such as Magne who was really mishandled and borderline a joke character sometimes (but that, we can all easily agree on this, like, what was the point of her death anyway, showing Overhaul was a very nasty boy?)
But they don't mention Gentle and La Brava at all, and these two are basically an example of villains who aren't out there killing people for fun. And if I remember correctly, they were offered help after their arrest, they weren't told "you unredeemable pieces of shit go to prison because you bad".
I don't know, maybe there should be more characters with similar stories to Gentle and La Brava's, like an "ex-criminal becoming a hero"-type of character, I don't think there is any?

As for Hawks offering help to Twice not being mentioned, I assume the author doesn't read the manga. However I just want to say I'm a bit tired with people yelling "Hawks bad" because he killed Twice. Hawks basically begged him to surrender, protected him from Dabi's flames (ironically lol), he didn't intend to kill him at first but then Twice left him no other choice. Twice was a victim for sure, he needed help and didn't deserve to die, but come on, he wasn't an innocent cinnamon roll either lmao

Same case when they mention Endeavor, the "redemption" arc goes further than that in the manga and it's still not over. Tbh, I didn't like Endeavor at all because of his story of abuse, but he grew on me since he started to realize he needed to change. I think Horikoshi is handling his "redemption" arc quite well at the moment, but I do understand that some people have a problem with it and despise the character, because domestic abuse is really heavy stuff that they can relate to.

And there are some points in the article that are kinda uh what, especially the part about All for One when they say:
He used this power to "bend people to his will" and to commit "evil acts." What those "acts" were exactly, we're never told. But boy, were they definitely evil. I promise

I mean... When you even look at what he's doing currently... Dude's fucked up, no question lol.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A shonen jump manga shouldn't even try giving a domestic abuser a redemption arc at all. It's like if Ozai got a redemption arc in the Zuko plotline in ATLA.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
A shonen jump manga shouldn't even try giving a domestic abuser a redemption arc at all. It's like if Ozai got a redemption arc in the Zuko plotline in ATLA.

That's what makes it interesting though. More than a redemption arc or any other name for it, Endeavor's change has been from a static, flat character to a 3 dimensional one. That's only good for the story, as we have seen from all the Endeavor focus in the back-half of the manga.
Honestly I feel like just the term "redemption arc" just muddles up the the whole debate. Most people won't even on agree on what it means to make amends or atone, or when it should happen, or if it can be fulfilled at all.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Eeeh well... Ozai is a merciless warlord so he's indeed unredeemable.
I would have been okay if Endeavor didn't get any "redemption" arc, he could have stayed a straight-up unredeemable pos. I was just genuinely surprised and curious by Horikoshi's attempt but also scared since it's heavy stuff, obviously.

I did say I thought Horikoshi was handling it "quite well", but honestly ? I have no idea what a "good redemption arc" would look like for a domestic abuser. I mean, I don't even have a good example of this kind of arc to compare, does such a thing even exist? I'm sure there are many examples of attempts but I assume they're not... good.

Hm I don't know, maybe I say all that because I wasn't a victim of domestic abuse myself (well not exactly, I did go through some abuse during my last relationship but it wasn't as bad as the Todoroki story, right) so I don't really have a clear-cut opinion about not giving redemption arc to abusers at all (okay, that last statement sounds weird, I didn't know how to phrase it lol).

Honestly I feel like just the term "redemption arc" just muddles up the the whole debate. Most people won't even on agree on what it means to make amends or atone, or when it should happen, or if it can be fulfilled at all.

Yeah, that's why I put "redemption" between quotation marks, because it's not really redemption but I didn't know how to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.