• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least sasuke had a traumatic past filled with genocide and torture which can explain his motives and behavior. It is not his fault people like naruto and Sakura defend him. That's on them. Bakugo doesn't have a history that would account for his cringe-inducing behavior and attitude. He's mean to everyone - not a hero, but a bully. I can understand him as an anti-hero, which would be an interesting narrative, but the way he has been portrayed just makes me roll my eyes almost every panel he's in. I feel sorry for the characters (everyone) who have to deal with his shit.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
At least sasuke had a traumatic past filled with genocide and torture which can explain his motives and behavior. It is not his fault people like naruto and Sakura defend him. That's on them. Bakugo doesn't have a history that would account for his cringe-inducing behavior and attitude. He's mean to everyone - not a hero, but a bully. I can understand him as an anti-hero, which would be an interesting narrative, but the way he has been portrayed just makes me roll my eyes almost every panel he's in. I feel sorry for the characters (everyone) who have to deal with his shit.
Again, what's basically a sort of deep-seated insecurity isn't flashy, but as motives go it makes sense. Sasuke's past is supposed to be his excuse, Bakugou's is just an explanation.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Again, what's basically a sort of deep-seated insecurity isn't flashy, but as motives go it makes sense. Sasuke's past is supposed to be his excuse, Bakugou's is just an explanation.
I understand, but to me the degree of the behavior doesn't match whatever insecurity he has. The levels don't match. Maybe I'm forgetting why exactly he's so insecure ( I think he's been hailed as talented since a young age ), but he's even horrible to his teachers who are there to help him. He's even mean to the people he saves. Why exactly does he want to be a hero again? Anyway he sucks, but I think there is some potential growth coming up.
Other than that I enjoyed catching up. Things like the dynamic between Hawks and Twice was compelling And the lengths they Each went to in their 'duel.' The added layers of certain characters' ideals really elevate the manga to a place higher than a lot of Shonen imo.

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I get not liking Bakugo, but I have to roll my eyes at the takes that call him the worst character in the medium. Nothing dude has done warrants the level of vitriol he gets sometimes.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I get not liking Bakugo, but I have to roll my eyes at the takes that call him the worst character in the medium. Nothing dude has done warrants the level of vitriol he gets sometimes.

You should see the hate and insults Deku gets just because he cries (like a normal kid).

Internet is stupid.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I actually like Sasuke more cuz as mentioned before, he has legit reasons to act this way, he's traumatized
Bakugo is just a spoiled kid getting a reality check and its worse that Deku looks up to him cuz not only did he bully Deku, he bullied others too

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sasuke had every reason to be like he is, but not to stay the same for such a long time, that's what annoyed me on his character. Bakugo on the other hand is just a spoiled kid, and i had issues with him for long time, but i dont mind him anymore, he is not screaming all the time like he used to, or rather, he doesnt have so much screentime anymore, and i kinda like, how he handled the situation with Deku and OFA/AllMight.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Deku definitely gets too much hate from some people. It irks me to see people bashing on him for being a fucking kid who's not afraid to express his emotions. I've seen people hating him for all his flaws and mistakes too, as if it's a bad thing to have a flawed character. Sheesh.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just hate his obsession with Bakugo. It's not Naruto levels of obnoxious, but it's getting there.

I also have a problem with how black and white Deku sees things at times, but that's a problem I have with the series in general, not just Deku. It's a reason why I really like Gentle and wish we get more of that.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Personal Opinion: I honestly think we aren't going back to the school after this since Shigaraki is going to be actively targeting Deku now/presents too much a danger to UA Students

They know what Shigaraki can do and if he escapes captivity/death he's going to be a problem in the long term in that he can sneak into any large populated area and activate Decay to destory all the citizens and the city in a few minutes at most. Having the UA still teaching through their traditional means is a bad idea because the same could happen to UA. As soon as Shigaraki gets close he can use Decay and destory everything - i don't think the UA Staff are going to risk having traditional school lessons when there is someone as powerful as Shigaraki around. Hence why unless Shigaraki gets captured at the end of the arc - traditional UA lessons are over

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Personal Opinion: I honestly think we aren't going back to the school after this since Shigaraki is going to be actively targeting Deku now/presents too much a danger to UA Students

They know what Shigaraki can do and if he escapes captivity/death he's going to be a problem in the long term in that he can sneak into any large populated area and activate Decay to destory all the citizens and the city in a few minutes at most. Having the UA still teaching through their traditional means is a bad idea because the same could happen to UA. As soon as Shigaraki gets close he can use Decay and destory everything - i don't think the UA Staff are going to risk having traditional school lessons when there is someone as powerful as Shigaraki around. Hence why unless Shigaraki gets captured at the end of the arc - traditional UA lessons are over
I don't know, I think we should see how things play out. I can easily see the first wielder pulling out some hax that protects Deku from getting OfA stolen or a hiccup caused by Shiggy waking up early prevents it

Shigaraki has to get handicapped soon because dude is just too powerful rn, no one can stop him. So we either are getting a timeskip or some bullshit is about to happen

I'm going with option B

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I think we should see how things play out. I can easily see the first wielder pulling out some hax that protects Deku from getting OfA stolen or a hiccup caused by Shiggy waking up early prevents it

Shigaraki has to get handicapped soon because dude is just too powerful rn, no one can stop him. So we either are getting a timeskip or some bullshit is about to happen

I'm going with option B

That's what I said too. They bumped up Shigaraki's power levels WAY too quickly (lol at people complaining about Deku's multiple Quirks now, btw), so there's no way stuff just "goes back to normal" unless some manner of handicap presents itself, or they pull some BS as you mentioned.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
That's what I said too. They bumped up Shigaraki's power levels WAY too quickly (lol at people complaining about Deku's multiple Quirks now, btw), so there's no way stuff just "goes back to normal" unless some manner of handicap presents itself, or they pull some BS as you mentioned.
It's possible that the villains win and the heroes are forced to retreat and Shigaraki ultimately decides to let them go to warn the rest of Japan of his power. I think Shigaraki wants to show Japan/the rest of the world how fleeting hero society is and how he is going to crumble it so allowing the heroes to run may work out in his favour

Dunno what's funny, Deku and Shiggy trying to one-up another with power creep is part of the problem
I agree, i would be lying if i said i wasn't worried about OFA 6 Quirks for Deku and AFO for Shigaraki causing a big powercreep

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
He could pull a Saiyan and let Deku escape to get stronger for a perfect fight lol

But yeah, something's gotta give if we are to ever go back to a semblance of normal. I still think we will imo, so some bullshit is afoot

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
He could pull a Saiyan and let Deku escape to get stronger for a perfect fight lol

But yeah, something's gotta give if we are to ever go back to a semblance of normal. I still think we will imo, so some bullshit is afoot
I hope not. If this is truly the end of Act 2 of MHA like everything has been hinting at - the landscape of MHA needs to be changed and the status quo needs to go. Ultimately the Pro Heroes need to go for Deku and the students to rise up.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Sasuke is, I think, much worse because of the way that the plot distorts around how he's a shitty person to accommodate for Naruto and Sakura's refusal to acknowledge that. Nobody really makes any bones about the fact that Bakugou's an abrasive ass, it's just that he's got the skills to mostly make up for it, and Deku doesn't take it personally. He's definitely got a reason to act the way he does, it's just not really used as an excuse, but rather, an explanation. Bakugou is every super talented kid who feels like they need to overcompensate for any perception of weakness. His relationship with Deku is shaped by that, and it's kind of exacerbated when he gets to UA and realized that he's not uniquely powerful/talented and might actually be outclassed in some respects.

They really need to more directly address the outright bullying though, either by retconning it (just chalk it up to early installment weirdness) or putting him through an actual apology arc.

Bakugo is largely fine. Horokoshi has handled him pretty well overall. They're mostly missing that moment of sincere apology between the pair, but otherwise, I'm fine with it.

I can't even be too put out about Bakugo in the spotlight. In the previous arc with him, Todoroki got equal shine, and Todoroki later took a bigger chunk of an arc due to family stuff. And his spot next to Deku right now is entirely logical. If I was dinging Horokoshi for anything, it's probably forgetting about the rest of the class. Ochako pops up occasionally, but it feels like she acts impact, even through a straight read shows she's done stuff. Iida is... gone completely, replaced in favor Tokoyami, I'd say.

Really, the biggest issue is more of a fandom one, with the strong push and teardown of certain characters.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I hope not. If this is truly the end of Act 2 of MHA like everything has been hinting at - the landscape of MHA needs to be changed and the status quo needs to go. Ultimately the Pro Heroes need to go for Deku and the students to rise up.
That's fair. I think this is the biggest moment since Kamino for sure and things will change, just not on the level that there's no pro heroes or that they have to go into hiding or anything. I still think it's too early, but it's entirely possible Hori is heading to the endgame faster than I thought he would

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
That's fair. I think this is the biggest moment since Kamino for sure and things will change, just not on the level that there's no pro heroes or that they have to go into hiding or anything. I still think it's too early, but it's entirely possible Hori is heading to the endgame faster than I thought he would
Act 3 is going to be quite large but i do expect a major timeskip soon because right now Deku can't beat Shigaraki

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I can easily see the first wielder pulling out some hax that protects Deku from getting OfA stolen or a hiccup caused by Shiggy waking up early prevents it
HMM. What if we get a Legend of Korra situation where he awakens a different power after losing One For All? Lol.
Unless Shigaraki still wins despite the handicap, I don't think I'd be happy with him getting nerfed so soon. The villains deserve a proper win too and it would feel like another story development they're not fully committing to. It's exciting to think about the repercussions of the heroes losing and things not going well for the protagonists anymore, you know?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It be easier to talk about power creep if Deku would ever actually fight anything nowadays

I was going to bring this up, but we've already discussed this ad nauseam and Shiggy vastly overpowers anything Deku and crew have. Like, it's no contest, especially now that decaying debris can spread Decay? I mean, shit.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how Deku would fare in a fight against Shiggy before his power up. His MVA power up was already bonkers, though I suppose Deku had also learned long range fighting techniques at that point so he'd do pretty well, probably. Though I am curious, would Decay work on Black Whip? Nah, probably not since it seems to be an energy tendril of sorts and I believe Decay only works on solids.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Deku would fare in a fight against Shiggy before his power up. His MVA power up was already bonkers, though I suppose Deku had also learned long range fighting techniques at that point so he'd do pretty well, probably. Though I am curious, would Decay work on Black Whip? Nah, probably not since it seems to be an energy tendril of sorts and I believe Decay only works on solids.
We've seen Black Whip gripping and pulling cars. Pretty sure it's a solid.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
We've seen Black Whip gripping and pulling cars. Pretty sure it's a solid.
I mean, yeah, but I've always assumed it's not entirely solid like maybe it's able to hold touch things like that but it doesn't have all the same properties as a solid? It's a sci-fi super power that looks energy-like, so I assume it is, lmao.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Unless Shigaraki still wins despite the handicap, I don't think I'd be happy with him getting nerfed so soon. The villains deserve a proper win too and it would feel like another story development they're not fully committing to. It's exciting to think about the repercussions of the heroes losing and things not going well for the protagonists anymore, you know?
I don't see how he doesn't get nerfed, he's too powerful. You leave him like this the question becomes why doesn't he destroy everything like he said? Shigaraki is so powerful you're going to have to write around it anyway so unless Hori is about to wrap the series up next arc something has to give

I didn't say anything about him having to lose or there not being repercussions, I just don't think Shiggy is about to take over everything here. I think he'll kill some heroes and put the world on notice but I personally just don't see Hori dropping the school unless it's really endgame after this. Academia is in the title of the series lol. Yeah I guess Hori could change it, but imo he's loses more than he gains if he completely abandons the school setting after this.

Which is why I'm saying some BS has to happen. Shigaraki is a problem that goes beyond a time skip or leaving school. He's so strong rn that that doesn't even matter imo, if he wants to find someone he will. Especially if he does take over Japan like some are thinking. He's just going to let Deku get stronger in secret for 2-3 odd years? No way.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I don't see how he doesn't get nerfed, he's too powerful. You leave him like this the question becomes why doesn't he destroy everything like he said? Shigaraki is so powerful you're going to have to write around it anyway so unless Hori is about to wrap the series up next arc something has to give

I didn't say anything about him having to lose or there not being repercussions, I just don't think Shiggy is about to take over everything here. I think he'll kill some heroes and put the world on notice but I personally just don't see Hori dropping the school unless it's really endgame after this. Academia is in the title of the series lol. Yeah I guess Hori could change it, but imo he's loses more than he gains if he completely abandons the school setting after this.

Which is why I'm saying some BS has to happen. Shigaraki is a problem that goes beyond a time skip or leaving school. He's so strong rn that that doesn't even matter imo, if he wants to find someone he will. Especially if he does take over Japan like some are thinking. He's just going to let Deku get stronger in secret for 2-3 odd years? No way.
Maybe he can only extract OFA at full power and needs Deku to develop it more

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes have this in the bag. Last chapter ended with Shigaraki plummeting to the ground from a great height with no quirks enabled. No comic book character is walking off a fall like that.

He summoned his league to a location miles away so it's unlikely that they can catch him in the next two seconds.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed.

After shiggy was shown decimating a whole neighborhood it'd be so incredibly dumb to go back to normal school year lessons in UA. It's done. There's no way the school can guarantee the safety of anyone there.

The bigger problem is Ragdoll's quirk. As long as Shiggy has it then deku will be forever targeted easily, so some shit will be happening the next couple of chapters that will either handicap Shiggy or take Deku far away from his reach.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Heroes have this in the bag. Last chapter ended with Shigaraki plummeting to the ground from a great height with no quirks enabled. No comic book character is walking off a fall like that.

He summoned his league to a location miles away so it's unlikely that they can catch him in the next two seconds.
Shigaraki is about to body everybody

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

He's rustling in his pockets for the bullets in the second to last panel

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine all of this build up, just to lose almost immediately. That would be some straight up bullshit.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Week after week people say Shigaraki will body everyone in dbz style fansion and I don't see this happen, just look at his fight against endeavor, Endeavor is weaker but with his great skill he was able to hold his own
I think it will be much closer than you guys are thinking, but with the heroes losing
If I was dinging Horokoshi for anything, it's probably forgetting about the rest of the class. Ochako pops up occasionally, but it feels like she acts impact, even through a straight read shows she's done stuff. Iida is... gone completely, replaced in favor Tokoyami, I'd say.
I dont get this, people said the same about Kirishima replacing Iida and now it is Tokoyami. Hell in this arc we also had a Kaminari moment
The truth is that Horikoshi just cycles characters into the spotlight, there is no replacement, people say horikoshi forgets the class but it isnt really true because he spends a lot of time on them. I think people want their favorite student to get more spotlight than other class students so they try to paint things a problem than all the class have
Dunno what's funny, Deku and Shiggy trying to one-up another with power creep is part of the problem
what problem exactly? This isnt dragon ball

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get this, people said the same about Kirishima replacing Iida and now it is Tokoyami. Hell in this arc we also had a Kaminari moment
The truth is that Horikoshi just cycles characters into the spotlight, there is no replacement, people say horikoshi forgets the class but it isnt really true because he spends a lot of time on them. I think people want their favorite student to get more spotlight than other class students so they try to paint things a problem than all the class have

Kaminari got a hot moment. Kirishima had a good long bit in the one arc, and Tokoyami is getting shine from Hawks. But even over the last arc that was directly about the class as a whole, they bulldozed through a lot. Folks want meaningful time with the characters, not moments. Exploring who they are and highlighting their struggles. And the truth is outside of Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki, a lot of the class only gets moments.

Maybe the story will get there, but honestly I'm not expecting the entire class to get shine, because there are still characters outside of the class who will probably get that visibility first.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, no student had more meaninful time in the spotlight than Iida except the main trio, he is one of the few students that faced a main villain, had a whole arc focusing on him and plenty of others he was important

For me it seems a meaningless complaint because I don't see how you can give the class more focus than it already has

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, that's an interesting take. To build on this, what if they capture Shiggy now and bring him to Tartarus. Maybe someone (Endeavor? Bakugo? Gran Torino?) takes the bullet designated for Aizawa, but that's it?

Then we get the Prison Break Arc next, in which his league buddies infiltrate the building? Toga could sneak inside easily, maybe even Compress gets to do something. Giga would the back-up, let's create a huge mess plan B.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
There are too many classmates
Perhaps.

The thing is, no student had more meaninful time in the spotlight than Iida except the main trio, he is one of the few students that faced a main villain, had a whole arc focusing on him and plenty of others he was important
That was in 2015. He has since been almost a non-entity, present but not all that meaningful. And hey, I don't even like Iida, but I can acknowledge if you did, you're probably not getting lunch. My Hero is one of my favorites, but you can look at Jigokuraku or Jujutsu Kaisen, and a slightly better handing of an ensemble cast. Horokoshi's got his meat—Deku, Bakugo, and then Todoroki—and I'm saying he could be better about serving up the potatoes.

For me it seems a meaningless complaint because I don't see how you can give the class more focus than it already has
Then we disagree. *shrug* Pretty empty statement, that. Imagine bigger?

Oh, that's an interesting take. To build on this, what if they capture Shiggy now and bring him to Tartarus. Maybe someone (Endeavor? Bakugo? Gran Torino?) takes the bullet designated for Aizawa, but that's it?

Then we get the Prison Break Arc next, in which his league buddies infiltrate the building? Toga could sneak inside easily, maybe even Compress gets to do something. Giga would the back-up, let's create a huge mess plan B.
Nice speculation. I could see it working, but managing the drop from this build up in the current arc is key.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If half the class dies this arc then there will more time/panel space for the remaining to get their dues. There are just way too many characters now that it can break the flow and pacing of the narrative if each got a fair focus. We are lucky if they all get a little story for 1-2 chapters once in a while like the electric kid got recently.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we're talking about focus, I do think some characters are naturally gonna fall into the background when you have a large cast.

At the same time, I often feel Horikoshi has little interest in writing for the female characters in MHA in particular.

I feel Mirko is about as developed as most of the main female cast, and that's no bueno folks.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

Not worth it for the absolute amount of shitposts on various sites if the villains lose here lmao, though I don't dislike the idea

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

Hmm, good point. Though I don't think it's impossible for him to be defeated with the joint forces of all the heroes. Maybe he barely escapes or something. Just a random idea. I'd be okay with him getting nerfed (I expect something will go wrong since his transformation didn't finish at 100%) anyway, as long as it's not done in a way that makes the villains lose. I want the villains to win because I think that'd be more interesting route for the story, but at the same time... I do also still want the school stuff to be there. I want it to continue cause I enjoy it a great deal and want to see the kids having a good time. If we wound up with a broken society, it's hard to imagine it not being doom and gloom most of the time.

I really don't know where the story will go from here, and I don't have concrete ideas for how I'd like it to play out if I'm being honest. I just hope whatever Horikoshi goes with will be satisfying.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also about last chapter, what was about Shigaraki falling down when he was going towards Deku? I can't remember if I asked already but I still have no idea what happened there.

Status
Not open for further replies.