• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just want her to get an arc for her to shine and actually improve her powers. They could've done that in the 1A vs. 1B arc but they made it all about Deku and his 20 Quirks or whatever. Even Froppy got to flex a little... Ochako has no excuse. I can only be impressed by Gunhead Martial Arts so many times...
You mean the arc where she had to save his ass and captured 3 of the 5 b students

Sure she really did nothing

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I explained earlier in the thread, they basically have more interaction than Dabi and Shoto, Toga also is basically a parallel to ochako like Shigaraki is to deku and Dabi is to Shoto
I don't see Toga vs Uraraka as a mismatch at all, at least not in the overall scheme of things. Think what you will of it, but they are both connected through their love of Deku and Toga knows that. This is a shounen guys, that's more than enough reason lol.

While I do think there will be plenty of team up fights, I think there will be some 1v1 as well. The eventual Toga vs Uraraka and Dabi vs Todoroki match ups seem like the obvious choices for 1v1 fights. Hopefully Hori will set up some more endgame fights like some have been saying, this arc is a great time to do it

I don't hate Toga vs Uraraka. I just don't really get it, to the point I have no hype for it.

Like let's compare it to the two other examples:

Deku vs Shiggy: Their masters are rivals, they now have opposing quirks, their ideals (as simple as they are) are directly opposite.

Shoto vs Dabi: They're potentially brothers (big one here), they share similar quirks

Toga vs Uraraka: They like the same guy and Toga might be jealous of her.

It's enough for shounen standards as you say, but damn is it lackluster compared to Deku vs Shiggy and the potential that Shoto vs Dabi could have. And I feel the same for Kirishima/Mina vs Giga. Like, the parallels just aren't there for me to be hype for them eventually fighting each other.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't hate Toga vs Uraraka. I just don't really get it, to the point I have no hype for it.

Like let's compare it to the two other examples:

Deku vs Shiggy: Their masters are rivals, they now have opposing quirks, their ideals (as simple as they are) are directly opposite.

Shoto vs Dabi: They're potentially brothers (big one here), they share similar quirks

Toga vs Uraraka: They like the same guy and Toga might be jealous of her.

It's enough for shounen standards as you say, but damn is it lackluster compared to Deku vs Shiggy and the potential that Shoto vs Dabi could have. And I feel the same for Kirishima/Mina vs Giga. Like, the parallels just aren't there for me to be hype for them eventually fighting each other.
You're not wrong, but I think Hori will add more to the latter two dynamics. Especially Kiri/Mina/Giga to give the eventual throw downs more weight

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Every chapter I fear X character will die

Hori fuck my mind and go plus ultra

HORI PLEASE

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
YO. Feeling so much hype with this chapter. Endeavor vs. Shigaraki was a pretty damn cool fight, much better than I expected. Gonna be pretty tricky stopping Shiggy given that he can apparently quickly regenerate from Endeavor's Hellflame just fine. I wonder if maximum output would be enough to kill him like he did with Hood and the Nomu in Hosu... And man, the way he was so skillfully maneuvering around Shigaraki, dodging his grab at the last minute and that quick counterattack!! Awesome stuff. Seemed like Shigaraki had a new quirk that blasted Endeavor away though? Interesting to see he seems to have gotten the quirks that All For One stockpiled. This is a ridiculous power boost, lol. The most exciting thing for me is the end though, seeing as we're probably gonna get at least Endeavor, Deku, Bakugo vs. Shigaraki. The best part for me is Deku and Bakugo teaming up, I LOVE them together this chapter. Looking forward to seeing them actually working together in such a high stakes fight.

I also got excited that Endeavor heard the name "One For All," lmao. I'm liking Endeavor too much now.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Bakugo needs an L this ar
He's suffered numerous losses throughout the series, hasn't done squat this entire arc, and... you think he needs to lose?

I don't expect him to win against Shigaraki or anything like that of course, but if anything, he deserves a proper win against a villain. He still hasn't had that and we're nearly 300 chapters in already. Hopefully he'll get one against one of the League members when they show up to aid Shigaraki.

Speaking of the coming battle with Shigaraki, Tokoyami and Nejire are some of the fighters they've got who can move in the air. I'd like to think Uraraka would be able to contribute somehow with her quirk but you'd need to be able to move yourself quickly. Maybe Iida with his recipro bursts...? I just want him to fight another villain after Stain, lol.

Oh yeah, Pony could fly around too. Doubt she'd show up though.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
He's suffered numerous losses throughout the series, hasn't done squat this entire arc, and... you think he needs to lose?

I don't expect him to win against Shigaraki or anything like that of course, but if anything, he deserves a proper win against a villain. He still hasn't had that and we're nearly 300 chapters in already. Hopefully he'll get one against one of the League members when they show up to aid Shigaraki.

Speaking of the coming battle with Shigaraki, Tokoyami and Nejire are some of the fighters they've got who can move in the air. I'd like to think Uraraka would be able to contribute somehow with her quirk but you'd need to be able to move yourself quickly. Maybe Iida with his recipro bursts...? I just want him to fight another villain after Stain, lol.

Eh to each their own on Bakugo's L but IMO I think he needs to suffer a more devastating loss

Also I think Tokoyami's gonna sit the fight out and maybe Nejire might get in but I would not hold my breath

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I think he means lose a fight. All of Bakugo's losses come from stuff outside of fights like getting kidnapped and failing the license exam.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I saw Bakugo as a true friend and a bro.

Win or lose, I'm cheering hard for both.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
If the situation is Deku and Bakugo are moving to a safe location, Ochako is right behind them, and Shigaraki is following them, then wouldn't that mean he'll come in contact with Ochako first?

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I think he means lose a fight. All of Bakugo's losses come from stuff outside of fights like getting kidnapped and failing the license exam.
Ah, fair enough then. Still never subscribed to the idea of anyone "needing" a win or lose, but I'm not sure having the one time he's finally facing a villain in a proper fight should be when he loses. Like I said though, no way in hell he's winning against Shigaraki of course.
If the situation is Deku and Bakugo are moving to a safe location, Ochako is right behind them, and Shigaraki is following them, then wouldn't that mean he'll come in contact with Ochako first?
Not necessarily, since we're not sure where the location Deku is going to is relative to the hospital and city. Looking at the panels of Ragdoll's Search in action though, I don't think that'll be the case. Uraraka would for sure die if she encountered Shiggy anyway, which I doubt Horikoshi would have happen.

I expect Uraraka and co. (assuming Todoroki, Iida, and/or Tsuyu tag along) will arrive some time after they clash with Shigaraki. I worry that they'd end up becoming more of a nuisance though, even Todoroki. With him there, not only will that be one more person Shigaraki can go after and thus make things harder for the Wonder Duo, but that's someone Endeavor will possibly die trying to protect from harm's way.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about endgame matchups... I think I'd agree that for the most part it won't be 1v1s. I'm feeling Gigantomachia vs. Kirishima/Mina/Others. This one's pretty well set up. Machia is a multi-hero threat, Mina and Kirishima have history with him. Then, Todoroki vs. Dabi/Geten to reverse the dynamic - he's gonna end up a major power in his own right, so you pair him with Dabi (for obvious reasons) and Geten (to complete the power symmetry). Unless Shiggy ends up giving Geten's power to Dabi at some point... could be cool. I could see Uraraka vs. Toga, but I'd agree it's not a great pairing as is. Needs more groundwork done first or else it'll just be a designated girl fight thing. Yeah, they both like the same guy, and Toga is also a little obsessed with Uraraka, but the first is thin and the second hasn't really been explored much. Shiggy vs. Deku is pretty obvious, might have Bakugou in there too, maybe.

But I think that we'll start seeing the cast open up a bit after this arc, on the villain side especially. We got that setup with the PLF lieutenants that hasn't amounted to much yet, but I think we'll get more of them in the future. So all this could be pretty easily subject to change.

Shiggy needs a set #2 btw. Somebody for him to bounce off of.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone's that doesn't think much of the setup Toga vs. Uraraka, I don't see how that has less setup than Kirishima/Mina vs. Gigantomachia. To this day I just don't understand how everyone views it as this fated matchup for Kirishima, much less Mina.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Is he going to stop acting like a sniveling lackey?
As someone's that doesn't think much of the setup Toga vs. Uraraka, I don't see how that has less setup than Kirishima/Mina vs. Gigantomachia. To this day I just don't understand how everyone views it as this fated matchup for Kirishima, much less Mina.
Toga and Ururaka have about as much on-screen contact, but it's not presented as a motivating factor in the same way Kirishima's flashback was for him (and Mina, to an extent).

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Unless Shiggy ends up giving Geten's power to Dabi at some point... could be cool.
7WK6wL2.gif

Also, hah! Ice pun! Nice. The coolest kind of pun there is.

For real though, I could see this happening... Shigaraki obviously favors the League members over anyone from the MLA so giving Dabi a quirk that could help him endure the one he was born with and also turn him into a dark reflection of Shoto (artificial fire & ice vs. natural, both suffered from Endeavor's abuse but one was able to grow and be a better person despite it, while the other only went further down the rabbit hole, etc.) would be too poetic to pass.
The flashback, man. The two of them have clear ties to Gigantomachia and given how some of the villains have a connection to the students one way or another, it would make sense for Kirishima and Mina to play a major role in defeating Machia.

I wanna see Toga solo a bunch of heroes though. Screw Uraraka vs. Toga. She can take them on. Maybe she has Twice's blood saved up.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Kirishima's Flashback set up an eventual confrontation, or else why have him be the thing that made Kiri afraid if he wasn't going to eventually stand up to him. When it comes to Kiri/Mina vs Giga and Uraraka vs Toga the set ups ain't perfect, but I mean, what else is there? What is the alternative?

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The real question is: What the fuck is Mr. Compress gonna be doing in the final battle?

Please just be sitting down somewhere observing the fight while hiding, lmao.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Toga and Ururaka have about as much on-screen contact, but it's not presented as a motivating factor in the same way Kirishima's flashback was for him (and Mina, to an extent).
The flashback, man. The two of them have clear ties to Gigantomachia and given how some of the villains have a connection to the students one way or another, it would make sense for Kirishima and Mina to play a major role in defeating Machia.

I've reread the flashback, I still don't get it. It's not like he personally traumatized them, or even had an interesting conversation with them. He doesn't even know who they are. I guess you could twist yourself a certain way to make it work for Kirishima, but Mina? C'mon now, that's an even bigger reach, and y'all know how much I like her.

Saying they'll happen to be a part of that fight is one thing. But the way people act as if he's this very personal thing Kirishima has to overcome continues to baffle me. If the theory of Gigantomachia being Crimson Riot actually panned out, then I would finally understand the assumptions people are making.

And this is all ignoring the fact that Gigantomachia is far too strong to be reasonably defeated without a big group of heroes working together. Which at that point would just dillute this whole presumed fated matchup anyhow. Meh, I'm not saying I can't change my mind later (maybe they'll actually interact this arc), but I just simply don't see it as of right now.

Kirishima's Flashback set up an eventual confrontation, or else why have him be the thing that made Kiri afraid if he wasn't going to eventually stand up to him. When it comes to Kiri/Mina vs Giga and Uraraka vs Toga the set ups ain't perfect, but I mean, what else is there? What is the alternative?

As I've said, Gigantomachia is not just any villain where 2 side characters could just beat him up. Like... it wasn't that long ago where we saw the LoV completely fail to do so despite trying to bring him down for several days, and several of them have far more dangerous quirks.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
As I've said, Gigantomachia is not just any villain where 2 side characters could just beat him up. Like... it wasn't that long ago where we saw the LoV completely fail to do so despite trying to bring him down for several days, and several of them have far more dangerous quirks.
The thing is I feel like y'all at looking at it like Kiri and Mina need to have their final fight with Giga today or some shit. Just like with Toga and Uraraka, when they do have their final clashes I expect everyone to be closer to the same level. A more developed acid man alone would be enough to give them a chance for victory tbh

Even the version of the LoV that fought Giga before was drastically weaker than they are now. Cause the same members could obviously beat him now.

It just feels like y'all forgot how this stuff works lol

It's like, I know Luffy is going to fight Blackbeard but I don't expect a final confrontation when Luffy is drastically weaker. Or Zoro and Mihawk

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I feel like y'all at looking at it like Kiri and Mina need to have their final fight with Giga today or some shit.

I know this series is increasingly dipping its toes into power creep nowadays, but that's still a big leap you're making.

If they have a stronger link to Gigantomachia later, that's cool. I'll finally have seen the light. But you definitely won't convince me that those two alone could handle him.

And if you say it'll be a group fight instead, well, that was what I was saying to begin with.

Cause the same members could obviously beat him now.

If by "the same members" you mean just Shiggy, I agree.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The real question is: What the fuck is Mr. Compress gonna be doing in the final battle?

Why are we assuming everyone is making it to the final battle. They killed Twice and Magne off like it was nothing

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I know this series is increasingly dipping its toes into power creep nowadays, but that's still a big leap you're making.

If they have a stronger link to Gigantomachia later, that's cool. I'll finally have seen the light. But you definitely won't convince me that those two alone could handle him.
I'm not trying to convince you so that's fine. That's what I expect to happen, take it or leave it.
If by "the same members" you mean just Shiggy, I agree.
Bloodlusted Toga could solo with the right person to transform into, and Dabi could probably take him with some help from other members.

Obvs Shiggy solos.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I always thought Geten existed so Dabi could get over his lone rider shit because obviously it's not working for him.

One day I will get my Compress backstory and focus, one day. Freaking Spinner's happened before Compress smh

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Also I just realized, Shiggy could give the rest of his team new quirks right? Like Spinner could totally use one

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Sad I missed the ass class discussion, but I think My Hero could play the
Main girl becoming evil twist by actually keeping her evil

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Can other folks handle having more than one quirk?
That seems the case if the added quirk fuses with the original. That's what happened with AfO's brother and I presume that the reason Kurogiri is so intelligent, despite being a Nomu, is because Shirakumo's quirk was compatible with the portal quirk the Doc added.

If Toga were to be given Stain's quirk, for example, they may merge and become one powerful blood related quirk. Dabi might be able to take Hell-Flame too.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Dabi might be able to take Hell-Flame too.
Don't see any reason Dabi would need to get it when his quirk's already stronger. If anything, he needs Geten's, like Poodle suggested.
But you definitely won't convince me that those two alone could handle him.
For what it's worth, whenever I think of "Kirishima + Mina vs. Gigantomachia," I don't think of it as just the two of them defeating him but the two of them being the major players in a fight against him. Given that they have ties to the character unlike the others.
Why are we assuming everyone is making it to the final battle. They killed Twice and Magne off like it was nothing
Shush now, we don't need to lose any more League members. </3
Freaking Spinner's happened before Compress smh

I totally forgot about Spinner's existence this entire arc.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The doctor can copy quirks, they dont need to make Shigaraki steal the quirks of the other villains.
Also I dont see why Shigaraki would give Dabi of all people an extra power when Dabi doesnt really like the league.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Dabi hasn't earned a new Quirk. Neither has Spinner or Compress. Y'all go out and win a few times then we'll CONSIDER giving you Froppy's Quirk AT BEST

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I don't really want Spinner to get another quirk when his backstory was so simple because of how shit his was

Compress doesn't really need one either, dude already has a one touch one win quirk, he just doesn't like going into fights that he doesn't have a plan for. I don't really see him being much a fighter guy.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Out of curiosity does hori do digital art? Also what is his schedule like if anyone knows? Is it super busy?

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity does hori do digital art? Also what is his schedule like if anyone knows? Is it super busy?
There's a demo video of him drawing Deku traditionally but he switches to digital for coloring. You can spot his digital coloring in some of the color spreads too. Haven't heard anything about him being busy recently though. Probably not as much lately since no anime season right now and no new movie.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
There's a demo video of him drawing Deku traditionally but he switches to digital for coloring. You can spot his digital coloring in some of the color spreads too. Haven't heard anything about him being busy recently though. Probably not as much lately since no anime season right now and no new movie.
IIrc he is not involved in the anime like most mangaka

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Giga vs Kiri is going to happen in a chapter called Unstoppable Meets Unbreakable or something like that and it's going to be hype

Status
Not open for further replies.