• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I mean, I could see Hawks seeing the appeal of the MLA but in the end it's still him cracking villain skulls if he joined the fight, which is what he's been raised to do. Really though Shigaraki and co were dropping dozens of bodies that arc, I doubt we would see Hawks really struggling with which side was right when the villains are obviously all in the wrong. The League with their willingness to kill people and Redestro with his willingness to put his own people in danger.
I think you guys are too focused on the MVA arc in particular. Beyond my belief that I think Hori could've wrote him in well in that arc, even if you disagree there's also plenty of other moments before now in different arcs since the Pro Hero arc where Hawks' double agent status could've been played up more imo

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
I hope hole guy doesn't completely job to Gang Orca like the rest of the no-name villains have so far because he has a pretty rad design.

Also someone give my man Redestro some legs already!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
even if you disagree there's also plenty of other moments before now in different arcs since the Pro Hero arc where Hawks' double agent status could've been played up more imo
I mean, is there really? All there really is besides the MVA is the Endeavor Agency arc and I think that arc is perfect for what it set out to do, and that was deepening the Todoroki drama. Looking back on all that happened since the pro hero arc I don't think there really was any time to play up his double agent status and still be where we are now

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I hope hole guy doesn't completely job to Gang Orca like the rest of the no-name villains have so far because he has a pretty rad design.

Also someone give my man Redestro some legs already!
If Giga breaks through to the surface, maybe ReDestro could fly his Clausto armor to his location. It would be cool to see in action.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
If Giga breaks through to the surface, maybe ReDestro could fly his Clausto armor to his location. It would be cool to see in action.

Yeah that would be pretty cool. I feel like we didn't even get to see his armor in action all that much during the Shigaraki fight, though I could be remembering wrong. Either way, I'm hoping ReDestro isn't totally out of the fight and gets some time to shine.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I mean, is there really? All there really is besides the MVA is the Endeavor Agency arc and I think that arc is perfect for what it set out to do, and that was deepening the Todoroki drama.
Areas that could've been expanded to include added double agent drama for Hawks

-Hawks killing Jeanist
-Hawks getting bugs planted on him
-When Hawks is witnessing the birth of the PLF
-He could've had a separate mission during the MVA arc
-We could've gotten moments during the Endeavor Agency arc, possibly during that timeskip in the lead up to winter. The arc is mostly set up anyway and the trio doesn't do anything but train after taking down Ending. Focusing on the Hawks/Twice set up a bit earlier wouldn't have been too out of place

Obviously this isn't the way Hori went and that's fine, but to say it couldn't have worked I think is a bit too cut and dry. I would've preferred Hori had made that more of a focus with Hawks, but he didn't. It is what it is

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Liked this chapter, but it's definitely cemented the idea in my head that the arc as a whole will read a lot better collected. Pacing's gonna feel brisk then. I like that Dabi's monologuing is integrated into his character now - and it looks like Hawks might live, at least for a while. And Tokoyami got some shine, against an opponent that's a hard natural counter to him. Looks like the MLA is getting back on its feet, too. I appreciate that - element of surprise is strong as hell, but the heroes couldn't seal the deal in time, and now we got Gigantomachia entering the fray. Gonna be hyyyyype.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Giga is awake
Shiggy has AFO and is awake
Heroes are f*cked

Also, why do so many folks think that Dabi is some sort of tragic villain who actually cares for his bro/team?

Last edited:

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Liked this chapter, but it's definitely cemented the idea in my head that the arc as a whole will read a lot better collected. Pacing's gonna feel brisk then. I like that Dabi's monologuing is integrated into his character now - and it looks like Hawks might live, at least for a while. And Tokoyami got some shine, against an opponent that's a hard natural counter to him. Looks like the MLA is getting back on its feet, too. I appreciate that - element of surprise is strong as hell, but the heroes couldn't seal the deal in time, and now we got Gigantomachia entering the fray. Gonna be hyyyyype.
I think the pace is fine. It is just the 2 week waits kinda stretched things out. God knows lots of shit is going down every week we get a chapter.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I feel like Dabi has always been characterized as stand-offish from the league, remember he didn't actually want to go help them save Giran and Shigaraki basically let shim go and do his own thing for the most part. It's why I wasn't that surprised when Dabi did his little shit talking after Twice died. it was the same characterization he's always gotten. Dude needs to get over himself though and ask for help cause he's not too hot (heh) by himself.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
As someone who is just really getting into MHA as of this month, I have a question for you good people.

Is the manga series My Hero Academia: Vigilantes any fun? Are any of the MHA spin off manga series worth reading? Normally I would worry about a spin off series being interesting as the original one.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
As someone who is just really getting into MHA as of this month, I have a question for you good people.

Is the manga series My Hero Academia: Vigilantes any fun? Are any of the MHA spin off manga series worth reading? Normally I would worry about a spin off series being interesting as the original one.
It's pretty decent for a spin-off series. I'd say its worth reading, especially for the Aizawa flashback

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017

I'd say give it a shot, a lot of people in here like it.
A particular arc in vigilantes becomes quite relevant to the main series after a while.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Whew, glad we're getting a new chapter this week. Though I'm kinda not as excited as last time? We're probably gonna be focusing on the trio for a bit. I don't think we'll see the results of Shigaraki's time in the tube for a while.
Also, why do so many folks think that Dabi is some sort of tragic villain who actually cares for his bro/team?
Probably cause he's popular. People tend to do that with popular villains. Try to make them sympathetic and whatnot.

I'm on the same boat as Coyote: Dabi's one of my favorite villains but he's absolutely nuts and tragic backstory or not, he ain't getting redeemed or saved. He's killed a ton of people and Todoroki or not, he should not get away with that.

I say, as I dream of a happy ending for Vergil where he gets to live happily ever after running Devil May Cry as a family business with his brother and son.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Same with Toga. She's a piece of shit but can't stop the fanbase to idolize her.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People mix up good villains with villains that are good
I like dabi as a villain, even his tendencies to screw up things. It doenst make me think he is justified or he can be redeemed

I think endeavor is the total opposite in this aspect. He sucks as a person but he is still a hero(in the profissional aspect of the world), I doubt he can ever be redeemed but you can't deny the positive impact he has by working as hero.

I think Gentle is everything people want Toga and Dabi to be but actually aren't. Someone that fount in the villain life a escape route but didnt do enough bad things so still can be redeemed.

Twice is more in the middle of the road for me

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Same with Toga. She's a piece of shit but can't stop the fanbase to idolize her.
I mean, with Toga I at least get it. We've gotten this sympathetic backstory (or attempt at it, YMMV) with her, and she's had real human connections with other members of the LoV. There's reasons to sympathize with her.

Dabi is constantly an asshole to everybody with the unfortunate luck to be in talking range of him, and his entire backstory is still a mystery box. Folks saying he's sympathetic is 100% them projecting what they want him to be like on him.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, with Toga I at least get it. We've gotten this sympathetic backstory (or attempt at it, YMMV) with her, and she's had real human connections with other members of the LoV. There's reasons to sympathize with her.

Dabi is constantly an asshole to everybody with the unfortunate luck to be in talking range of him, and his entire backstory is still a mystery box. Folks saying he's sympathetic is 100% them projecting what they want him to be like on him.
BlindTangibleAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

The story has provided zero reason for Dabi to be sympathetic.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Whew, glad we're getting a new chapter this week. Though I'm kinda not as excited as last time? We're probably gonna be focusing on the trio for a bit. I don't think we'll see the results of Shigaraki's time in the tube for a while.

Probably cause he's popular. People tend to do that with popular villains. Try to make them sympathetic and whatnot.

I'm on the same boat as Coyote: Dabi's one of my favorite villains but he's absolutely nuts and tragic backstory or not, he ain't getting redeemed or saved. He's killed a ton of people and Todoroki or not, he should not get away with that.

I say, as I dream of a happy ending for Vergil where he gets to live happily ever after running Devil May Cry as a family business with his brother and son.
This. Dude is one hundred percent a psycho and self serving a-hole. I have no idea why folks think he's some lost misunderstood soul

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think Toga's fanbase are all that deep. It's just the yandere trope or whatever they call it.

Personally I like charismatic villians like All For One. A villain I can respect.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Eh I became a fan of Toga after her fight in the MLA arc, but a lot of her fanbase is unfortunately pretty shallow.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

I personally haven't given a fuck about any of the villains emotionally outside of Gentle/La Brava and Twice to a degree. The majority of the LoV are just assholes through and through despite trying to make you feel sympathetic for them.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Apparently has Shiggy in it too. And that page count Hori is absolutely crushing it in this arc when it comes to art and page consistently.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Toga's fanbase are all that deep. It's just the yandere trope or whatever they call it.

Personally I like charismatic villians like All For One. A villain I can respect.
Yeah she has the Yandere aesthetic so people who enjoy that are going latch on to her but that doesn't mean they're all going to overlook the all the other stuff Horikoshi has given her, I actually do like the Yandere troupe when it's done well but for Toga I'd actually say it's one of her least interesting parts because so far it hasn't been used that well storywise

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Oh my fucking god, Shiggys just fucking dusts everything at the hospital.

Endeavor made it out fortunately with Mirko and Aizawa.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The Heroes are ffuuuccckkkkkkked. Unless my some miracle things happen to make Shigaraki forced to retreat - the heroes ain't winning

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
PIXIEBOB NOOO
And I think Thirteen might also have been caught up in there ;_;[/spoiler
]

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Holy fucking shit

God, I hope Mic's okay. I'd assume that he'd be safe because he was dragging the doctor away, but still. You can't make me suddenly care about the guy only to pull this, Hori ;_;

EDIT: Just checked the spoiler images and Mic makes it out. Phew.

Last edited:

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a bit early to speculate on much, since the chapter isn't fully out. Crust is dust, and X-Less is almost certainly dead, though I haven't seen a picture of that. I think out of the named heroes, the ones that are in danger of the dust wave are Thirteen, who's trying to stop it near the center, Pixiebob, who is trying to stop it near the outside, & Rocklock/Endeavor's unnamed sidekicks who were with him there who we just don't have panels on. I'm assuming Rock Lock is ontop of Ryukyu though. Wash is also close to it, but given what we're shown of his powers he can probably float. I kind of want to say that Pixiebob is probably near Deku in that panel where he's kicking at the dust wave, in which case she's fine. Thirteen's the one who's really in trouble, unless her quirk actually can stop the thing.

Edit: Oh, looking at past chapters, Manual is there too, along with that one fire fighter hero and the poodle girl from Hori's other series, though you can see the poodle girl trying to outrun the blast in the spoilers

Last edited:

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Obviously if Deku does confront Shiggy Deku ain't gonna win, but I'm hoping heroes more significant than Crust and fucking X-less become casualties before the hero side has to retreat lol.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda curious how hard Deku scales right now. Gotta remember that there's been a time skip since last we've seen him in action, and 45% is no small jump in power; that's over twice as much as his last documented output. He should theoretically be at a level now where he can contend with several pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.