• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think I am going to stop reading this manga. For the past 2 years (with the exception of the LoV arc) it's felt like constant buildup to eventually very underwhelming conclusions. This arc feels no different. Enjoy guys :(

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's a fair point, Hirokoshi could suprise me but i am now leaning towards a loss for the heroes

Heroes can and IMO will win but the causality will be too high to call it a "win".

Media and the people panic and rage and UA will close down temporarily. Deku will study abroad.

Timeskip: My Hero Academia - A New Era.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also I gotta give respect where it's due, Crust extending his shield to protect the other heroes was a small moment here but it impressed me.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Did Endeavor kill that one Nomu?
Nope it's the one that pulled Mirko back towards Endeavour
I think I am going to stop reading this manga. For the past 2 years (with the exception of the LoV arc) it's felt like constant buildup to eventually very underwhelming conclusions. This arc feels no different. Enjoy guys :(
But this arc hasn't concluded, seems odd to write it off now when build up looks like it'll have a bigger conclusion than the previous arcs

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any situation we come out where the villains "win" anything but the short term battle. Damaging hero society is an important end goal to many of PLF's partakers but the grand boss won't stop at anything less than worldwide annihilation. He's going to be a problem and quirk users are still going to be the only people capable of handling someone like him.

I still think what's somewhat likely to happen is a global shutdown of hero operations, and that quirk users instead become enlisted as a governmental body, like military. No clue what that's going to entail for UA, but with someone like Shiggy running lose and villains being more emboldened than ever, I feel like a police state is looking likely.

Oct 27, 2017
I just got caught up and maaaan this shit is crazy right now I'm shook as fuck Hawks actually killed Twice! Like the madman actually overcame his sentimentality AND he wasn't stopped by Dabi. Touching that Twice's double used the last of its strength to save Toga and compress, I know why you had to die but rest in peace anyway Twice...

So Hawks hasn't had a name since he was a small child? That's heavy man this is some full on Itachi shit, more confusing is that Dabi knows him. And of course the fucking name tease Hori you bastard. Man I really thought my boy was about to die just now Tokoyami to the rescue but on the other hand...wtf is Tokoyami supposed to do! Fire is also a weakness to him and he's still a student!?

BRO I HAD FUCKING HEART PALPITATIONS THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MIRUKO BIT

Every injury she took I audibly inhaled through my teeth and she even started talking about dying. Pray to God that now that she's too injured to fight they'll send her back to get treated before Shiggy wakes up

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Come on Hori, give the elephant Nomu some spotlight. I've been waiting ever since he was introduced.

FallenChief

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, posting here after a long time.
1. Is it possible that Present Mic is the traitor? Like the Doc told him the identity of Kurogiri and promised to return him to normal in exchange for his cooperation?

2. Why is everyone assuming that Shigaraki will wake up for sure? Like it is possible that he does not wake up and is sealed up in Tartarus? And that is when he wakes up and frees All for One in the process.

Stay Safe!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What you said makes no sense considering what just happened in the latest chapters, mostly action with big repercussions that are in no way underwhelming like having a hero kill an important villain

Nov 14, 2017
Hi all, posting here after a long time.
1. Is it possible that Present Mic is the traitor? Like the Doc told him the identity of Kurogiri and promised to return him to normal in exchange for his cooperation?

2. Why is everyone assuming that Shigaraki will wake up for sure? Like it is possible that he does not wake up and is sealed up in Tartarus? And that is when he wakes up and frees All for One in the process.

Stay Safe!

1. I don't think Present Mic is the traitor as he didn't know about the camp training. Also, Shigaraki would not have been caught off guard when All Might rescued Bakugo as Present Mic would have notified them.

2. The story is still written as if Midoriya is sharing his experiences to someone and the beginning of this arc keeps the narrative. He mentions that the heroes werent ready for what happened.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I didn't expect to see Mic and the others show up too! Glad they were able to follow Mirko. I feel like this changes things quite a bit from last week when we were speculating Mirko's and Endeavor's fates with Shigaraki possibly waking up. Given that there are way more heroes than I had expected, I don't see it as coming down to either or both of them dying now. I'm especially interested to see Yamada and Aizawa just lose it when they meet the doctor whose new name escapes me right now.

It's kinda funny how Mirko's chances of survival both increased and decreased in this chapter due to sustaining yet even more injuries while also having more allies to depend on now. Hopefully, the next chapter opens up with Endeavor shouting to the others to take her to safety or something. She needs medical aid ASAP.

I understand some of the comments others were giving about the readability of the action in this chapter, and I actually feel like the action in this arc has been fairly better to read than in some past fights. This particular chapter was a little harder though, I guess. Just a few moments with the Nomu attacking that I wasn't so sure about. Still, always room for improvement, of course.
I feel like a police state is looking likely.
This would be very interesting and I'd like it too, though I'd also worry a bit about the even larger roster of characters Horikoshi will end up having to deal with if regular quirk users are enlisted as well.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
BRO I HAD FUCKING HEART PALPITATIONS THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MIRUKO BIT

Every injury she took I audibly inhaled through my teeth and she even started talking about dying. Pray to God that now that she's too injured to fight they'll send her back to get treated before Shiggy wakes up

Same, Mirko getting seriously injured and Dabi burning the shit out of Hawks made me scream internally!

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
wtf is Tokoyami supposed to do! Fire is also a weakness to him and he's still a student!?
This is what I was hoping we'd see this chapter but I'm also glad with what we got. I guess they're saving up Dabi for some later parts once again, which I don't mind. Hawks taught Tokoyami that his strategy to dealing with fire quirks is striking the enemy first, so we'll likely see Tokoyami going for more speedy attacks like he did that one time during the joint training arc. It's over as soon as Dabi realizes his weakness though...

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Dabi's fighting style seems to be only using large bursts of flames so I bet he'll see Tokoyami's weakness real quick.

Oct 27, 2017
Same, Mirko getting seriously injured and Dabi burning the shit out of Hawks made me scream internally!

Yep real fear struck at my soul bro

This is what I was hoping we'd see this chapter but I'm also glad with what we got. I guess they're saving up Dabi for some later parts once again, which I don't mind. Hawks taught Tokoyami that his strategy to dealing with fire quirks is striking the enemy first, so we'll likely see Tokoyami going for more speedy attacks like he did that one time during the joint training arc. It's over as soon as Dabi realizes his weakness though...

Dabi's fighting style seems to be only using large bursts of flames so I bet he'll see Tokoyami's weakness real quick.

Man Tokoyami ain't winning a straight fight on his own that's all I'm getting from this lol my poor bird boi is either doomed or he's gonna need some backup

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Horikoshi could just do a normal fight in the lab with almost no injuries but he made sure to make it have impact. Same thing with Dabi vs Hawks. Sure everyone knows the villains will win because of the narrative so far but it is how we get there that is important and I think Horikoshi has been nailing it so far.
I really like twice but like many others, i felt his character arc was over anyway.
Sure, that is why he is dead, it doesnt mean his death was underwhelming or will have underwhelming consequences.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Horikoshi could just do a normal fight in the lab with almost no injuries but he made sure to make it have impact. Same thing with Dabi vs Hawks. Sure everyone knows the villains will win because of the narrative so far but it is how we get there that is important and I think Horikoshi has been nailing it so far.

Sure, that is why he is dead, it doesnt mean his death was underwhelming or will have underwhelming consequences.
I mean we could get a Hero Win...it's certaintly possible

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBH, there's a lot of different ways things could go right now. I'm pretty hyped. Mirko fucked up Shigaraki's tank, and more to the point, the machines powering it - it might not be possible for him to hit 100%. So, what happens now? Maybe he wakes up, wipes out the heroes as expected. Maybe Gigantomachia smashes in and grabs him, they retreat to fight another day. Maybe some mix scenario, the heroes take huge casualties but not enough to take them off the board, Shigaraki gets away... I don't know how that one plays out. I think there's 4 basic scenarios, but I don't know which is the most likely (though I do have one pick for least):

1. Shigaraki wakes up, wipes out all the heroes around. Only the perimeter team and anybody evacuated due to injuries gets away. Shiggy is now in charge of Japan, more or less, with the help of the MLA.

2. Shiggy's resurrection is a failure, Gigantomachia grabs him and they run. Heroes go back to more or less status quo with the MLA rounded up and the LoV on the lam. I'd call this pretty unlikely.

3. Shiggy wakes up, heroes take grievous casualties, but a solid number of them escape and consolidate for round 2, which I'd be on being a prison defense.

4. Shiggy wakes up, the heroes take significant losses, but the regular cops come in with lethal force. MLA and LoV are on the run, but the hero society is shattered anyway by the new police state.

I feel like 3 or 4 are the most likely, but I couldn't tell you which. There's got to be some payoff for that scene way back when the cops were talking about needing to make changes.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I think whatever scenario happens its probably going to involve Deku's group somehow. As such, I'd think the fight would have to get out of the hospital. Either it would mean the Nomu or Shiggys just busts out and the backup group gets involved, or the High End Nomu preoccupy the top heroes, but Shiggys is vulnerable so Giga comes to rescue him and on the way gets intercepted by the backup Deku squad. I'd kind of bet more on the latter. Could lead to Giga being taken out, but buying enough time for Shiggy and/or the doctor to get away and regroup with the rest of the League after whatever happens over at the MLA mansion gets resolved.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I do wonder if Hori has any big twists coming up that we don't expect. Like it feels like we have all the outcomes mapped out already but I wonder if we have any big curve balls coming.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's gonna be butchered beyond belief. That person is right in saying the arc was doomed from the start with all of the cityscape shots, the anime can't do human made structures to save their life. They don't do gore so there goes the fight against the Creature Rejection Clan and Shiggy's backstory, potentially a good chunk of Shiggy vs Redestro too. Not to mention that arc has nothing to do with the most popular characters beyond Shiggy and Toga, and even then I'm not that confident. Hope you guys are ready for still shots of crowds.

Then there's the subtle nuances in Shiggy's hair and voice. Seeing the movie I'm not looking forward to the adaptation to say the least.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
I drew a Hawks being tired and an Endeavor fanboy, what do you guys think? (Criticism is welcome of course!)

HloRbEW.png

I ended up buying My Hero One's Justice 1 since it was on sale. It's neat.

I'm very tempted to get One's Justice 2 on Switch, I wonder if it's good?
Well, I mean, good enough to be entertaining for a MHA fan, I heard it was pretty average as a fighting game.

Oct 25, 2017
Could My Villain Academia the arc work as a movie ala the Demon Slayer Train Arc
i dont like when they do this, so many people dont have/get access to movies, even upon release on disc..., also the current crisis and potential resurgences (or perhaps a future where theaters have even less capacity), makes movies become not ideal., exclusively making content for privileged jpn/americans only is unfair to most of the world

Also shouldn't we wait and see for the arc to end, versus comparing to an already completely arc??? if its open ended, then a movie would be rather unfulfilling,

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MVA is the most action intensive arc that the next season is covering and they don't have a movie to worry about anymore. I don't see any way it doesn't get at least a solid adaptation in terms of what's achievable when most of the focus is bound to be poured onto that arc in particular.

For me it's the same as saying that the first season of One-Punch Man was disappointing because the animations didn't measure up with the slick detail of Murata's artwork and flipbook pages (Speed O' Sound Sonic's confrontation against Saitama comes to mind in particular), this despite Madhouse being one of the most talented studios in the business. Hell we've even seen that in earlier seasons of MHA; a lot of people meme on UFO Endeavor in the last episode, and people similarly meme'd Bakugo's S3 escape for looking goofy out of context.

I have no reason to believe it won't look good. Different? Sure, but still good.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem isnt that Bones isnt able to animate to the arc's level but the timeslot of the anime, how can you even do Shigaraki's flashback?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People underestimate what they can get away with. People were doubting that they'd be able to show magne's death too, and that was completely uncensored. Endeavor's face slash looked pretty brutal as well.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People underestimate what they can get away with. People were doubting that they'd be able to show magne's death too, and that was completely uncensored. Endeavor's face slash looked pretty brutal as well.
True but those are adults, with Kirishima they dialed down his damage.
Also even those examples dont come close to what the flashback has

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MVA has doesnt even have many flashbacks, and even then the only one that is big is Shigaraki's, Twice and Toga's are spread out in their respective fights so they are shorter than they seem. Also I don't see how there is more exposition than action in the arc, pretty much all of the arc is action, and even when they have exposition is in between action moments

The length might be a problem but assuming a ~100 minute movie would be able to adapt 15 to 20 chapters. The arc have 23 chapters, so they would either have to leave some material for the anime or to cut things

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.