• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the liberation army is pretty lame to be honest. Even if Curious didn't die, I don't think she would've been really mattered much.

One thing that I think was a bit of a missed opportunity is when Sliding Go showed up, I think it was kinda fair to assume other heroes, potentially big named heroes, were members of the army, and nah, not really.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh we're throwing shots at the Liberation Army?

They're another reason why MVA still sucks. Curious gets merc'd because oops she's cramping Toga's style, Geten gets hyped up because Dabi does jack and shit this arc, Skeptic and Trumpet are in the background, and ReDestro... well he kind of kicks ass at first actually but then he gets emasculated in record time after the battle, and by the time the war arc rolls around you realize how what was meant to be the League's big crowning arc was basically a story about how they almost choked to a bunch of jobbers.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
ReDestro jobbing in the war arc was some dumb shit
At least he killed off the Hero commission
Which you would think would be a bigger deal

The army had tons of potential but sometimes it feels like Hori is allergic to allow the villains to be too competent

They're supposed to be an army of trained soldiers in an organization who believed in might makes right i don't expect the top or fan favorites to job but give the army something

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Curious death was fine

people just projected big things for her because this fanbase loves to project. Geten is worse because he never has any relevant fight

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Curious death was fine

people just projected big things for her because this fanbase loves to project. Geten is worse because he never has any relevant fight
???? How it was fine when she was literally the only one that died, made worse because she was the only female villain since Hori killed Magne (there is La Brava but she basically follows Gentle to anything he does being his fangirl/manager/camerawoman and her power is literally just a power-up for him)

The amount of female villains can be counted in one hand and even if you include all the spin-offs you only need two hands with fingers to spare to count them

Is just another thing showing how Hori sucks at writing female characters

Last edited:

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Geten was like the ultimate fanbase projection.

"Oh man, I bet the reason we're not seeing his face is because he's crazy important!"

No, he's just a dude with impressive ice powers.

That's kinda it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno why a character dying means they are badly written lol
Curious was the best used liberation army, maybe only losing to skeptic. She had cool powers, had a cool fight and had a purpose. And left the story when she needed to. Skeptic is weird because he does the same for twice and then serves to reveal the touya thing to the world, but I think i like curious better because she has a power that i enjoyed more.

About midnight, I dunno why it is needed to show she being killed, the implications were very big she would die. She was last shown moments before being attacked by a villain, she lost connection to momo and mineta asking if she would be ok was a clear death flag. I know shonen loves to do the trope where a death only happens when it is on screen but Horikoshi doesnt need to do that.
Geten was like the ultimate fanbase projection.

"Oh man, I bet the reason we're not seeing his face is because he's crazy important!"

No, he's just a dude with impressive ice powers.

That's kinda it.
I agree but I still think he was worse than curious because he never got a full fight, if he just had an on screen fight I wouldnt feel so bad.

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
People continuing to confuse liking a character design with having potential in a story, when it comes to Curious

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still dispute the jobbing thing. Going up against one of the top heroes in the country and losing isn't really jobbing, Cementoss is a powerhouse.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Not when you're supposed to be the army secret weapon and you lose to a hero that's not even top 10 and offscreen

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm serious, lol. Every time anybody loses it's "oh they jobbed." But the heroes had, until recently, an enormous edge in organization, training, and resources. The villains got hyped but they still went in as colossal underdogs. Things have changed now, but at the time? Losing was what was expected. Shiggy absolutely flattening part multiple top heroes was totally unprecedented in-universe.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm serious, lol. Every time anybody loses it's "oh they jobbed." But the heroes had, until recently, an enormous edge in organization, training, and resources. The villains got hyped but they still went in as colossal underdogs. Things have changed now, but at the time? Losing was what was expected. Shiggy absolutely flattening part multiple top heroes was totally unprecedented in-universe.
That would be justified if the army didn't control a whole town and backed by several high profile, successful companies and politicians plus devoted followers who are able to train in secret

They're not the league before it got streamlined that were bunch of random thugs of the street

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only potential I saw in Geten was maybe in giving Dabi someone to actually interact with. He has no foil in the series, not even within the League; even Spinner and Shiggy have an actual dynamic, meanwhile Dabi basically sits around as a bit of a plot device waiting to blow up. I would've cared more about his character if there was anything resembling an emotional connection to anything he does or someone he can confide in, but he's done nothing of the sort.

No amount of face value acceptance for whatever Hori writes is enough to deter from the notion that Curious would've been perfectly placed in a post-collapse society as a PLF propaganda machine. Especially being an outcast in the journalistic field, you'd think her running an exposé on Hero society would be her comeback story into society at large. They could've even turned it into a palpable and very real commentary on skewed media narratives and scummy news reporting, someone on the "villain" side who people might begin admiring. Not that the story really needs her character anymore because the series decided to dummy out most of the important PLF goons sans Skeptic.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The only potential I saw in Geten was maybe in giving Dabi someone to actually talk to. He has no foil in the League, even Spinner and Shiggy have an actual dynamic, meanwhile Dabi basically sits around as a bit of a plot device waiting to blow up. I would've cared more about his character if there was anything resembling an emotional connection to anything he does or someone he can confide in, but he's done nothing of the sort.

No amount of face value acceptance for whatever Hori writes is enough to deter from the notion that Curious would've been perfectly placed in a post-collapse society as a PLF propaganda machine. Especially being an outcast in the journalistic field, you'd think her running an exposé on Hero society would be her comeback story into society at large. They could've even turned it into a commentary on media narratives and scummy news reporting. Not that the story really needs her character anymore because the series decided to dummy out most of the important PLF goons sans Skeptic.
It seems like whatever roled Curious should have had has been rolled into skeptic now

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People continuing to confuse liking a character design with having potential in a story, when it comes to Curious

Nah, people are just fed up with Toga being the only female villain that sticks around (RIP Magne)

Idk why y'all don't get by now why it really rubbed people the wrong way that the sole death in the arc happened to the only female villain of the group

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people are just fed up with Toga being the only female villain that sticks around (RIP Magne)

Idk why y'all don't get by now why it really rubbed people the wrong way that the sole death in the arc happened to the only female villain of the group
(One with useful role in cultish organization seeking to spread its philosophy)

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
if someone dont want to discuss i wont bother
Because it is pure projection. Yeah you want another female villain to be as prominent as Toga, i would like it too, but doesnt mean the author should be forced to write this. The author had another plans for the character that wasnt what you and other parts of the fanbase liked, simple as that

Like I dunno why some mha fans just can't accept when horikoshi dont write what they want, it is tiresome

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just because Curious could have perfectly place in a post collapse society doesnt mean it is the only way to write the story
Horikoshi chose to have skeptic do that job instead
Like just because Horikoshi didnt write what you wanted doesnt mean the arc and the character is now trash because of that, this seem way too extreme of a conclusion
Nah, the arc is lame because of a lot more reasons than just the decision to kill her.

Also I'd appreciate it if you got off your "you're just annoyed because it didn't turn out how you wanted it to" shtick that you keep doing whenever someone has problems with where the immutable God Master Hori is taking the story.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
I don't feel that strongly about Curious, but it is pretty silly that she was the only one the named MLA members to die, the same organization that has someone as pathetically irrelevant as Trumpet.

It'll never not feel like she got killed off because there must only be one token female in the League and/or Horikoshi is really bad at writing female characters.

Like just because Horikoshi didnt write what you wanted doesnt mean the arc and the character is now trash because of that, this seem way too extreme of a conclusion

It's okay for people to not like things you like.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel that strongly about Curious, but it is pretty silly that she was the only one the named MLA members to die, the same organization that has someone as pathetically irrelevant as Trumpet.

It'll never not feel like she got killed off because there must only be one token female in the League and/or Horikoshi is really bad at writing female characters.

I feel like he favors female characters by giving them very powerful quirks so they have to go one way or another.

I will just say this regarding Curious: I never ever thought "this is a character I want to see more". She didn't give me Lady Nagant feel, for example.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Killing a character that wont serve another purpose in the story isnt a bad thing.
It is much worse to be a villain that survives and then is arrested and does nothing after, because they are essentially is dead for the story but has an incloclusive ending that is many times worse than dying,
I think there is plenty of discussion if curious is a bad character or not. But just listing her death for that isnt enough imo to say horikoshi is bad at writing female characters just base on that. Imo the way she died and how she participated in the story is more relevant for the discussion.
And there are very good written female characters imo. Momo, Fuyumi, Rei, Toga, Mt Lady. Other that I like too or have potential like Ochako, Mina, Tsuyu, Nagant, Mirko
I dont particularly like how he wrote midnight, but her death isnt the reason for my dislike either

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I get the desire of wanting more female villains but to me Curious death actually felt cathartic since I had literally no reason to like her besides her design and she hadn't anything besides almost kill a character I actually like, and a villain killing another villain seemed like the best way to start a villain, I get complaints but it was just never a issue for me
I feel like he favors female characters by giving them very powerful quirks so they have to go one way or another.

I will just say this regarding Curious: I never ever thought "this is a character I want to see more". She didn't give me Lady Nagant feel, for example.
Because there's a difference between how Horikoshi was writing Curious and Nagant

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I get the desire of wanting more female villains but to me Curious death actually felt cathartic since I had literally no reason to like her besides her design and she hadn't anything besides almost kill a character I actually like, and a villain killing another villain seemed like the best way to start a villain, I get complaints but it was just never a issue for me

Because there's a difference between how Horikoshi was writing Curious and Nagant
It indeed feels very cathartic, specially if you like Toga

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imo mha biggest problem with female characters is less writing and the amount of them
Like horikoshi even had to genderbend tsuyu and hagakure because he noticed class 1-a would have almost no girls

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the Overhaul arc where all the women stayed above ground while the lads went to find Overhaul. I guess they fought that one guy...

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019

I didn't think Curious had a Quirk that was all that powerful though, at least not to the point where it needed to be written out of the story.

Remember the Overhaul arc where all the women stayed above ground while the lads went to find Overhaul. I guess they fought that one guy...

Never forget that Nejire was introduced as one of the top three students in the country's most prestigious hero school, only for her crowning moment in her debut arc to be winning a beauty pageant.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah the PLF were kinda wasted like re-destro just became a scrub and Geten was wasted. I hope Dabi gets his quirk
Skeptic is the only one who ended up mattering

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Curious was written out of the story because she wasnt needed, dying is just one way to write of a character out of the story.
It is basically the same with Crust, he existed so he could die to save Aizawa.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Curious had a Quirk that was all that powerful though, at least not to the point where it needed to be written out of the story.

Never forget that Nejire was introduced as one of the top three students in the country's most prestigious hero school, only for her crowning moment in her debut arc to be winning a beauty pageant.
I think that was supposed to make up for her lack of screentime too lol

I do know that the girl squad was Hori being sick at the time

Also Dragon lady being the highest ranked hero in the arc and did less than rock lock

Status
Not open for further replies.