• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Deku is also obviously checking Overhaul to see if he's even capable of apologizing, if not then he won't take him to the boss. If he is capable there's nothing there that implies Deku goes "oh okay chill let's go to UA right now". He's seeing if he should honor Nagant's deal or just throw him away forever immediately. Granted, he should, but that ain't how Deku works

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you guys read that deku want eri and overhaul to meet?
It wasnt what was shown at all, deku wants Overhaul to feel remorseful towards he did to eri, also eri doesnt need to meet overhaul for either that or for her to heal the boss

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Deku is also obviously checking Overhaul to see if he's even capable of apologizing, if not then he won't take him to the boss. If he is capable there's nothing there that implies Deku goes "oh okay chill let's go to UA right now". He's seeing if he should honor Nagant's deal or just throw him away forever immediately.
You're probably more right

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also for people who don't follow Astu for leaks it really, and I mean really, looked like Dad for One was happening when the first leaks were hitting lmao. You can go back and see me shitting myself in the first few tags lmao

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I actually forgot that a large part of why Deku is trying to speedrun the endgame is because if they wait too long then Shiggy/AFO will be capable of stealing One For All.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Deku says if you're willing to direct that energy towards Eri(being remorseful) then he will take Overhaul to the boss. That implies Deku wants Overhaul to apologize to Eri in some capacity before he takes him to his boss.

Him just being remorseful doesn't make sense if he doesn't apologize to Eri. It would mean nothing just cause he says he's sorry. It would mean more coming from Overhaul than Eri hearing it from some one else

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You dont need to meet someone to apologize

Also deku says "if you are willing" not "if you direct", he wants the intention not the action

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I'm sure this is unintentional but it seems like Deku has a warped/poor way of how abuse works:
He idolizes his bully
Gave his input on Todoroki's family situation saying he is waiting to forgive Endeavor
and now he wants chisaki to apologize to Eri, who doesn't need it and is working fine without him......

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You guys overcomplicate things
Deku wants to see if Chisaki is changed, it isnt about eri, he knows that she doenst need chisaki's apology, but he also believes people can change, and to him chisaki isnt changed yet because he isnt capable to show the same remorse he feels towards the boss towards eri

also the whole shoto thing was to show his difference to fuyumi/natsuo, and it plays straight into endeavor telling natsuo that he doesnt need to forgive him to be considered a good person. Deku was taking as shoto's friend not as a hero trying to save shoto or anything, friends will tell what they think, doesnt mean he was right or wrong.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is going with this pacing as of late?

Hawks out here of nowhere suddenly bawling his eyes out, and it just doesn't work at all for me because we just met Nagant, while her backstory was in no way am I that invested in her, much less her relatioship with Hawks who she's only just now meeting. Shit needs time to actually breathe, instead of overly relying on flashbacks to try and get us sympathetic to how Nagant used to be a more heroic/upbeat person

Deku strongly implying that he wants Overhaul to directly apologize to Eri is uh, massively uncomfortable to say the least, Eri should not be put in that position...

Did Overhaul really get brought here for nothing? I thought the obvious setup was for him to heal Nagant's injuries. If she's stuck having to recover normally, then I'm giving up hope of her bouncing back in a relevant way

Back to pacing concerns, we're suddenly get a quick timeskip to the mansion where Deku attempts to AfO, like huh...

In more positive impressions, I'm glad that Deku's mask remained intact, I thought it was destroyed. Also my feelings on how Nagant was dealt with aside, these last two chapters are a clear reminder of how much better a final villain AfO is compared to Shiggy. He's a guy you really love to hate, and as such I'll enjoy when he one day truly gets his comeuppance. And I love how he distorts stuff like All Might's "You're next", putting his own sinister vibe onto it.

And when he spouts his ideology, as well as how he wants to break Deku's spirit, it's really effective for me.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Back to pacing concerns, we're suddenly get a quick timeskip to the mansion where Deku attempts to AfO, like huh...
Hori should've put this up right before the switch
maxresdefault.jpg

And yeah, I'm super happy Deku kept the mask and the cape

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"If you're willing to direct that same energy toward eri"
There is nothing in this phrase that says deku wants them to meet directly
first he uses willing, he wants to see the intention, not the action
second he says energy, he is talking about being remoseful
I dunno if it is because of the translation but it isnt what deku is implying at all

Also there was no timeskip, i know it is subtle but they go to the mansion basically just after

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
The pace is probably like this because we're with Deku watching him rush into everything

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I misread it, but I don't think he was saying that Chisaki had to see Eri, but that he had to show that kind of contrition

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Hori knows he can't keep people as interested with Deku alone for so long like he did Shigaraki so he has to rush it. Sorry that's just reality

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It is also kind of a video game to Shiggy, who uses video game terms to describe stuff, but Shiggy is more of an angry gamer who makes salty LTTP threads on ERA
AFO being a huge manchild rubbed on Shiggy with him it's comics when the villain is cool
At least him being an edgy asshole seemed to be something Afo cultivated in him

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I almost wonder if the increasing AfO focus is a reflection of Hori focusing more on the pros than the students... Adult heroes, adult villains.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all know what I mean, lol. Shiggy was always sort of supposed to be the reflection to Deku, growing and developing into the ultimate villain just like Deku was becoming the ultimate hero. And just like the focus shifted (not entirely, but it shifted) away from the developing hero cast, AfO is taking prominence from Shiggy.

Now, I do think that this is just a temporary status quo and the focus will shift back onto Shigaraki, but there might be something to why he decided to do it like this.

Oct 25, 2017
guess what I said about Eri and Chiisaki meeting up for closure is going to prove true. Thank you, Horikoshi is easy to read. There was no other reason to keep him around in the plot.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think AFO focus is because he will die after shiggy is completed, so horikoshi is getting all he wants to do with him now

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's way too early to assume Eri and Chisaki will meet again.

Overall this is a bit of a weird chapter that's pretty oddly paced. I like the angle that Nagant's fakeout death is fucking with Deku mentally. Said it earlier this week that you don't need to kill off a character for trauma to be a real thing, but in a weird way I'm also not really all that hooked anymore in knowing where things are gonna go from here, maybe because AFO constantly having the deck in his advantage is starting to become a bit predictable. Hell yeah, I get to complain again. Deku needs to start doing shit the villains aren't gonna see coming at some point.

Anyway I feel like time would've had to pass between the battle and the mansion raid, though perhaps not longer than a week/few days since otherwise it seems like the group would've had Nagant, Eraser and Miruko tag along - all of whom would likely require way more physical therapy after their injuries. Deku was in no shape to fight after that skirmish either, let alone with AFO.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the chapter. AFO messing with All Might/Deku is something I love. Watching Deku's soul slowly crumbles away is gonna be interesting for his development. One key think I'm really keen on and we also speculated before is this:

Screenshot-20210613-222742-Shonen-Jump.jpg

Discrimination arc next, right?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The scene of Deku leading pro heroes is something else, man.

I like how it has a double meaning. With Endeavor's comment in the panel prior telling him to wait up and not be reckless, that scene could either be interpreted as Deku leading an assembly of top Pro Heroes, or it can be viewed as Deku impatiently rushing ahead of the other pros and not properly working together with them.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I like how it has a double meaning. With Endeavor's comment in the panel prior telling him to wait up and not be reckless, that scene could either be interpreted as Deku leading an assembly of top Pro Heroes, or it can be viewed as Deku impatiently rushing ahead of the other pros and not properly working together with them.

Horikoshi, the parallels man.

Status
Not open for further replies.