• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Really, what I think we need is an arc where the hero association is the antagonists, outright.

Agreed. Part of me wonders if it is possible the final battle will be a three way war between Deku and friends, the hero association, and Shigaraki/All for One.

1) Stain, his followers, and most of the villains in this series so far have predominantly argued from the perspective that the people who go out to pursue the hero occupation are dishonest frauds who don't "deserve" the distinction based on arbitrary definitions of the concept, with Stain in particular believing that only All Might (and Deku) are worthy of being called heroes - all of these being motives that sort of run in opposition to one another.

This is a really well written post. Just wanna say that first.

On the subject of Stain in particular, I hope that when he returns to the series, Hori doesn't try to argue that he was in a roundabout way, right about hero society.

I want someone to say to Stain's face that he was totally and completely wrong, and literally everything he did just made things worse for everyone.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Hori paneling is on point lately.

Love this (not the pineapple post, the stain name).

Pine is too aggressive lol

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think stain himself will get that he was wrong. I doubt he agrees with the state the society is right now

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Awesome chapter, that paneling with Nagant's bullets was so good.

Loving her backstory, too. It adds some nice depth to the worldbuilding and the flaws of hero society, plus it leaves her in a good position to end up turning on AFO as an anti-hero, which Lady Nagant totally needs to do because she's really cool.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that this stuff has always been there. It's an escalation, but one in a series, not some dramatic shift.

In the very beginning, we saw that Deku got a ton of shit for not having a quirk. Then we got Stain, whose thing was that he felt that heroes were in it for the wrong reasons. Chisaki's arc is about how hero society leaves a lot of people behind. Gentle gets into how punishing it can be for an aspiring hero whose heart is in the right place but doesn't tick the right boxes. Then the various League of Villains characters get into how things really kinda suck for a lot of people because of their quirks and how punishing being born wrong can be. Hawks was explicitly told to assassinate Twice, and has a bunch of other shady stuff going on around the edges.

Lady Nagant's backstory fits pretty neatly into that progression, especially when you're considering what we've heard about the pre-All Might times. We know that Japan was defacto ruled by AfO for a very long time, and that a lot of stuff from that period was covered up in the name of protecting the public. It just turns out that it wasn't just the villains' actions that got pushed under the rug.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome chapter, that paneling with Nagant's bullets was so good.

Loving her backstory, too. It adds some nice depth to the worldbuilding and the flaws of hero society, plus it leaves her in a good position to end up turning on AFO as an anti-hero, which Lady Nagant totally needs to do because she's really cool.

Oh it's definitely coming:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Also-also, given what we know about how much importance Japanese hero authorities place on public relations and image, it does make sense to me that they'd feel like they had to keep AfO alive instead of just executing him. That compulsion to keep up appearances.
Oh it's definitely coming:

Sidenote, talking about art here, Horikoshi's character designs have been so good lately. Like, Kid Nagant has a totally different personality and is visibly childish but also still immediately recognizable as Nagant.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Sidenote, talking about art here, Horikoshi's character designs have been so good lately. Like, Kid Nagant has a totally different personality and is visibly childish but also still immediately recognizable as Nagant.

tk2v7ja3fgk11.png

He definitely improved and you can tell he is having so much fun with the latest designs/panels (even the Mario jokes at the hospital lol).

But looking back at the very first cover, can tell that Hori was always good. He nailed that "iconic" designs right from the start.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
tk2v7ja3fgk11.png

He definitely improved and you can tell he is having so much fun with the latest designs/panels (even the Mario jokes at the hospital lol).

But looking back at the very first cover, can tell that Hori was always good. He nailed that "iconic" designs right from the start.

Didn't nail Shoto from the start tho... Never forget.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Long-term it'd be pretty cool if a reformed Nagant ends up pardoned and placed into some kind of high authority under a new hero commission.

Her moral compass is sound (in as much as she recognizes fully how fucked up the safety commission was and didn't want a part of it), just presently warped by the fact that she hasn't seen reason to believe a system of heroes can see change and reform. With heroes like Deku though, maybe she'll realize there's a way forward. She's kind of sort of a foil to Midnight in that sense. Funny coincidence how Midnight gets written out of this series while it now introduces another new super competent female character who worked as a hero and had an idyllic view of what heroes meant.

Who am I kidding, she's also gonna get Midnight'ed/Curious'ed by AFO as a consequence of breaking her allegiance because you can't gamble on this series and female characters.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
This chapter just made me wonder why they kept All for One alive, of all villains, if the government was cool with just offing villains in secret.
He's a goldmine of quirks, I'm sure they see that as very valuable.
The closest to a "bad hero" we've seen are Endeavor and Hawks; the former who's been on an atonement tour for the last few years and the latter who was a government pawn. Really, Stain's logic sort of falls apart the more you think about it.
I think the worst hero we've seen was the old samurai guy who just completely gave up even though I don't think he actually ever did anything.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
tk2v7ja3fgk11.png

Man, I've had this volume for years and I never realized that Jeanist and Endy were on there until now. Cementoss's design is different tho, he looks way too happy on that cover lol

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've had this volume for years and I never realized that Jeanist and Endy were on there until now. Cementoss's design is different tho, he looks way too happy on that cover lol

Soft Cement lolol. Almost like an actual Eraser Head.

Hex went plus ultra on Nagant's hand. Oh man...

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
The last female villain went splat.

To be honest, she probably wouldn't have done much if she stuck around tho.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curious' death always bugged me because you'd think that a character who's entire thing is being an outcast journalist would be exactly the kind of character to push propaganda exposés on the hero society in a world where the PLF is rising in power and people are beginning to turn on heroes. But nah, instead they basically give Skeptic that role instead.

Plus she had a pretty rad quirk and with Nagant most likely slated to end up an anti-hero with how she's being written, the series still kind of lacks much in the way of actual female villains that aren't Toga.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Luckily Nagant has plot armor until we more with her and Hawks plus what she has planned for Overhaul so she ain't dying soon

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her flashback isnt even finished. We still need to know how she was caught
Dunno if there's really that much of a necessary story to tell there. Deku goes on to say up front that her reason for incarceration was successfully covered up, suggesting that the murder of the commissioner was ultimately the extent of her crimes and that she got apprehended in a discrete manner. Most likely there were other heroes/guards outside on standby who overheard the commotion and apprehended her.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Her flashback isnt even finished. We still need to know how she was caught
She shot the president of a company. Not really hard for everyone to figure out what happened.

"The CEO had a meeting with Nagant, and now she's gone and he has a bullet in his head. Wonder what could have happened?"

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
She shot the president of a company. Not really hard for everyone to figure out what happened.

"The CEO had a meeting with Nagant, and now she's gone and he has a bullet in his head. Wonder what could have happened?"
I need to know how they figured the bullet was from a hero with a gun quirk with bullets specifically made from her bullet factory hair

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One thing is for sure, Horikoshi should definitely give us a Hawks and Nagant talk
if it is a fight even better because i think they do a cool matchup but maybe with hawks wing in the state they are now it is impossible

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The concept this picture wants to convey ironically feels like it runs a bit in opposition to what the series actually wants to convey. Hawks realized he was a government tool and ended up taking responsibility for this fact, owning up to his misdeeds and then pledging his desire to fight for a better tomorrow not only because he wants Endeavor to get a chance to atone, but also because with the hero commission gone he's finally attained that freedo he yearned for. His motivation to keep fighting ultimately became his own due to the perspective he'd gotten in his experiences. Conversely, Nagant exchanged one set of chains for another. She claims she doesn't want to be a part of a system that exploits people in service of the illusion of a better society, and yet in her claimed enlightened state she's become subservient to a megalomaniacal tyrant, attempting to justify herself via the logic that it's more "honest". She's gone from the illusion of peace to the illusion of freedom.

Great art though.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Best Jeanist really hasn't done anything the entire series as far as I can remember.

He got owned by All for One....and then faked his death, showed up at the end of the war, only for the villains to escape.

I guess he was sorta a mentor to Bakugo? Kinda?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best Jeanist really hasn't done anything the entire series as far as I can remember.

He got owned by All for One....and then faked his death, showed up at the end of the war, only for the villains to escape.

Lol yea they could've done a lot more with him when you compare him to Endeavor and All Might, or even Hawks

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The concept this picture wants to convey ironically feels like it runs a bit in opposition to what the series actually wants to convey. Hawks realized he was a government tool and ended up taking responsibility for this fact, owning up to his misdeeds and then pledging his desire to fight for a better tomorrow not only because he wants Endeavor to get a chance to atone, but also because with the hero commission gone he's finally attained that freedo he yearned for. His motivation to keep fighting ultimately became his own due to the perspective he'd gotten in his experiences. Conversely, Nagant exchanged one set of chains for another. She claims she doesn't want to be a part of a system that exploits people in service of the illusion of a better society, and yet in her claimed enlightened state she's become subservient to a megalomaniacal tyrant, attempting to justify herself via the logic that it's more "honest". She's gone from the illusion of peace to the illusion of freedom.

Great art though.

I thought it just conveyed how Hawks was held back by the commission.

He is free now, of course.

Jeanist did save endeavor and shoto from getting vaporized by dabi tho

He did great in Kamino and the War arc. But as a mentor, we didn't get much.

Maybe he made Bakugo less of a bully/more disciplined but it's just me assuming.

Oct 27, 2017

He bound Gigantomachia and held him in place long enough for Momo's sedative to kick in.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn, what a chapter. Really, really loving Nagant and her backstory. It's tragic as hell but I love seeing the shades of grey in their hero society and I appreciate it being put into the spotlight like this. I get the vibes that she'll stick around, perhaps slowly be reformed thanks to Deku? I know it's easy to expect she'll die too cause Horikoshi's got a terrible record with his female characters, but... I feel like she might end up like Hawks, in that many expected he'd die and get Icarus'd or something but actually just wound up more and more relevant to the main story. Plus, yeah, hopefully we learn more about that Hawks connection and the hero commission in general.

What the hell is with her hero costume though? The boob armor thing. It's so weird-looking, lol.

Just watched the latest episode too, really good stuff as well. Made me appreciate Uraraka some more, really liked her part in this episode as well as Monoma's. Also, I don't know if the anime changed it or it's just Netflix's subs but Shinso said "Fight me!" and Deku's reply was "Very well." The former might have been okay but the latter was just... yikes. Banjo looked and sounded great. I was expecting the episode to end around then so it was nice to see some more of the fight right after. Looks like the match is ending in the next episode, so that's good. Seems MVA is on track for the start of the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.