• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Nagant is awesome. What a cool chapter.

Now we get to see Deku lose it over Chisaki again...

Is it too early to say Nagant's the best female character in this series so far? Certainly the best adult female character (Sorry Mirko).

I like Toga way more and probably Mirko too. But Nagant is up there.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn this chapter was amazing. Really like where the story is going and Lady Nagant is easily one of the best villains already. Meanwhile we see Deku gets it so doesn't sound like he wants to just maintain the illusion.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What a fantastic chapter, and a fantastic villain. Clean execution of the series' themes wrapped up in a cool fight, yes please. Feels like a Gentle redux in some ways, but Deku has clearly changed, which alters the dynamic.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every villain in this series be like:

That was a pretty good chapter. Nagant's backstory is pretty compelling although whether or not she realizes her own hypocrisy in how she's merely exchanged one set of shackles for another is something this series better manage responsibly. This is the first "villain" this series has introduced so far (other than Gentle) where I can see a genuine path to redemption with no strings attached. Stain, Toga, Overhaul, none of these compare to someone who was genuinely exploited and put in a vice she couldn't get away from. I say this a lot but she's wasted in being another lackey. The only hero she's seemingly killed was the morally grey hero commissioner which may have also been reasoned as an act of self defense. In a new system, there's a way forward for her. Deku just needs to show her the damn light for a change.

As for where we go from here, damn who knows. I think we're getting to a point where we can rule out Top 3 intervention and the fact that Nagant's backstory is being given to us now means that her presence is about to speed up rather than de-escalate, so I don't believe this will lead to her absconding to try again in the future; especially since her leaving Overhaul would be a liability for her. Speaking of that; then there's Overhaul. I'm getting the impression that the next chapter is gonna be Deku's first real test of character morality. Will he put his life on the line to save someone who was a total villainous scumbag? Is he gonna put up or shut up? C'mon boy, prove to the lady how you're not just waxing poetic.

Here's to hoping it won't disappoint. I think it's about time Deku starts solidifying his status as the symbol of a new generation.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to have an actually good female villain. Her logic for following AfO is hilariously naive though

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Well this chapter (56) has a whole new context now:

17.jpg

Basically shut the fuck up or you'll end up on our list.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Hawks had to execute people too. From how he sounds, Twice wasnt the only one, but probably the first one that made him want to find another way to solve things

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Hero Commission had at least one prominent face to associate with them

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to have an actually good female villain. Her logic for following AfO is hilariously naive though
"Yeah I know I'm just being subservient to another corrupt master, this one being someone who's brought actual torture, pain and misery upon hundreds of thousands.... but at least he's honest about it"

Legit I don't think she actually buys what he's selling and probably realizes she's still being used, to some extent she might even fear what would happen if she goes against him. If Hori later reveals that AFO hid some kind of self-termination feature in the quirk if Nagant were to "break" her contract I'm gonna scream.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Decent chapter. Feels like a huge swerve for the series so far in what Hori is willing to say about hero society.

We've gone from hero society is flawed because it elevates people who often aren't truly heroic to hero society is flawed because it is built on state sanctioned murder.

Like that's a huge swerve in tone to have in what might be the final arc of this series.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the Hero Commission had at least one prominent face to associate with them

myheroacademia.fandom.com

Yokumiru Mera

Overview Gallery Yokumiru Mera (目 (め) 良 (ら) 善 (よく) 見 (みる) , Mera Yokumiru?) is a worker for the Hero Public Safety Commission. He is currently the acting president of the HPSC following the original president's death during the Paranormal Liberation Front's attack on the Commission headquarters...

They do. It's this guy who was on the mic during the worst arc: provisional license exam.

Screenshot-20210530-201740-Shonen-Jump.jpg

Along with the old lady who first appeared (I think?) when Aizawa found out about the hospital from Kurogiri.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Decent chapter. Feels like a huge swerve for the series so far in what Hori is willing to say about hero society.

We've gone from hero society is flawed because it elevates people who often aren't truly heroic to hero society is flawed because it is built on state sanctioned murder.

Like that's a huge swerve in tone to have in what might be the final arc of this series.
We already knew that there was a lot of shady stuff going on behind the scenes - Hawks' stuff was pretty explicit about that. And we know that people were persecuted and suffered under the current rules.

Really, what I think we need is an arc where the hero association is the antagonists, outright.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They had that one old chick but we don't even know if she's alive now
myheroacademia.fandom.com

Yokumiru Mera

Overview Gallery Yokumiru Mera (目 (め) 良 (ら) 善 (よく) 見 (みる) , Mera Yokumiru?) is a worker for the Hero Public Safety Commission. He is currently the acting president of the HPSC following the original president's death during the Paranormal Liberation Front's attack on the Commission headquarters...

They do. It's this guy who was on the mic during the worst arc: provisional license exam.

Screenshot-20210530-201740-Shonen-Jump.jpg

Along with the old lady who first appeared (I think?) when Aizawa found out about the hospital from Kurogiri.

I meant like an actual fleshed out character, not just a face we notice is recurring here and there. Have they even been named?

"Yeah I know I'm just being subservient to another corrupt master, this one being someone who's brought actual torture, pain and misery upon hundreds of thousands.... but at least he's honest about it"

Legit I don't think she actually buys what he's selling and probably realizes she's still being used, to some extent she might even fear what would happen if she goes against him. If Hori later reveals that AFO hid some kind of self-termination feature in the quirk if Nagant were to "break" her contract I'm gonna scream.

For me it wasn't just that AfO would obviously terrorize thousands, but the part about AfO's shady ass being viewed as "more transparent". Just had to laugh at that.

But at least you can see how she got to such a deluded viewpoint.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This chapter sure is a turning point, before you could still argue that hero society could be fixed but now it needs to be completely wiped and build from the start again to work

Also I wonder how All Might would react that the society he was the pillar was secretly supported by this sort of actions

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

She did mention how AFO used to be one of her targets, probably knows full well what he's capable of.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like most adult women in the last 50 or so chapters
Rei, Mirko, Nagant, even Mt Lady

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I meant like an actual fleshed out character, not just a face we notice is recurring here and there. Have they even been named?

For me it wasn't just that AfO would obviously terrorize thousands, but the part about AfO's shady ass being viewed as "more transparent". Just had to laugh at that.

But at least you can see how she got to such a deluded viewpoint.

I'd say Hawks and now Nagant are the people the readers need to know the most. Hori doesn't give much screentime to the normal people in the series (the cop who helps All Might, the children's family etc).

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This chapter just made me wonder why they kept All for One alive, of all villains, if the government was cool with just offing villains in secret.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The sentiment was brought up in a lot of places I saw that discussed the early leaks and to some extent I do sympathize; the knowledge of the hero commission having a whole lot of dirt on them feels like it's come out very late. There were some who speculated about it as early as Hawks (back when people thought either he - or Dabi lol - had this kind of backstory behind them), but the fact that it's coming out now of all times feels like a case of the series introducing something of an overarching-yet-separate dilemma to make the disdain against heroes feel somewhat sympathetic. I've complained a lot about this before that the motives behind the central villains have always felt kinda sorta like lip service in the grand scheme of things; like an attempt to "deconstruct" heroes as an institution despite the root of the problem being somewhat extricated from the motives (perhaps the lack of an honest admitting that even heroes can't save 'everyone'). This is the first sign that this is not the case, and it would go further ways to make the pushback towards a hero saturated society somewhat understandable, though some problems do arise by its introduction now;

1) Stain, his followers, and most of the villains in this series so far have predominantly argued from the perspective that the people who go out to pursue the hero occupation are dishonest frauds who don't "deserve" the distinction based on arbitrary definitions of the concept, with Stain in particular believing that only All Might (and Deku) are worthy of being called heroes - all of these being motives that sort of run in opposition to one another.
2) This entire pretext raises a deeper issue in that even All Might, the "greatest hero", was essentially a front for something sinister that had been brewing, and which most of the villains probably didn't even consider themselves.
3) The hero commission is in shambles with a good chunk of them dead, meaning that authority is hamstrung and we don't really have a heroic face anymore to place as an antagonist, and their presence most likely ends up serving as a bit of a formality. Most of the people who likely perpetuated this to continue are gone, or not in a presence of control anymore.
4) As mentioned above, if the government had no compunction of due process when it came to people that hadn't even committed crimes, it feels at odds with the decision not to sentence AFO the instant he went into the cage.

A lot of this has the telltale signs of it probably being something that Hori only decided to explore fairly late in his writing of the story, and to give the protagonists something of an "ethical" dilemma that would inspire a restructure of how the hero system is managed, even if it comes at the cost of not necessarily being central to what's been the core of the story so far - again, something that contributes to my overall negative impression of how the villains have been handled up until this point. It's part of why I consider this chapter only "pretty good" rather than "really good", because Nagant and her background feels like it exists in its own bubble compared to every other villain so far, even if it's a bubble that feels way more effective at making a point.

Still, I do think something like this is something of a necessary development if only to more believably give Deku a cause to sympathize with someone who's been branded a villain and maybe work toward a heel face turn that can contribute to a societal restoration, but better in at least one capacity. I think the challenge with a story like MHA is if you want to develop the story in a way that wants you to continue thinking heroes are cool and something to aspire to in that world, it's going to be hard to fully acknowledge certain aspects that, when analogous to reality, pose more questions and implications.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That politician from redestro crew had a party that pressured the government to not execute prisoners

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This chapter just made me wonder why they kept All for One alive, of all villains, if the government was cool with just offing villains in secret.

Hero Commission was doing it in secret. AFO was already a public thing so they can't do it without the public/rumors spreading.

They definitely should have executed him faster but a guy who lived for centuries is useful/dangerous to kill immediately (remember that Gigant was still on the loose).

Look at what happened with Hawks and Twice. It was the first thing they asked him.

And what NSESN said.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Uhh

I'd say Hawks and now Nagant are the people the readers need to know the most. Hori doesn't give much screentime to the normal people in the series (the cop who helps All Might, the children's family etc).

I just I wished for it, that's all

That said, the Hero Commission at this point is way more important than your examples

Baby steps for Hori.

At least it wasn't another Curious

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Hori has been building up to this. Stain -> Hawks -> Nagant

Each of these characters just dig deeper into how corrupt the heroes and society really are.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

Each of these characters just dig deeper into how corrupt the heroes and society really are.
I just wish he did a better job showing the corruption earlier in the series cause we're more than 300 chapters in and just now we're getting info on this kind of corruption

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic chapter. Horikoshi's art and paneling is just on another level in Jump. Nagant is immediately a very compelling character.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think the issue is that Stain had nothing to do with corruption. His issues had to do with a whole lot of waxing poetic and idealism about what heroes should be.

One of those things was how he believed heroism should not be compensated for. In the MHA world I kinda consider that a bit of a problem; heroes are ostensibly service workers and a necessity in that field, many are rescue workers rather than combatants. It's also extremely dangerous, so I don't see much wrong with the idea that it's an honest living. What I liked about Ochaco's backstory is how refreshingly simple it was, she wanted to be a hero because she wanted a job so she could support for her family. That kind of mentality completely fails to pass the Stain check even when there's nothing wrong with that.

Another problem also boils down to the fact that the series hasn't really done a good job showing heroes that are corrupt. Almost every hero that was a focal point of the War arc were ready to lay their life on the line for what's right. Crust even sacrifices his to save Aizawa. How's that make him less of a hero than All Might? The closest to a "bad hero" we've seen are Endeavor and Hawks; the former who's been on an atonement tour for the last few years and the latter who was a government pawn. Really, Stain's logic sort of falls apart the more you think about it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think showing corruption early in the series would make things too fast. I like how we learn about those things at the same time Deku does

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
3) The hero commission is in shambles with a good chunk of them dead, meaning that authority is hamstrung and we don't really have a heroic face anymore to place as an antagonist, and their presence most likely ends up serving as a bit of a formality. Most of the people who likely perpetuated this to continue are gone, or not in a presence of control anymore.

This feels 100% deliberate. It's exactly how I would write a story if I wanted to explore these themes but also needed to get the story okayed by the editorial board of a magazine for kids.

No need to explore the ethical ramifications of your teen heroes agreeing with a bunch of established villains and murderers and rebeling against a corrupt government that nevertheless seems to create a good society for the majority of people. Most of the people who were in charge are already dead. The heroes are free to build something new without having to deal with disposing the old.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish he did a better job showing the corruption earlier in the series cause we're more than 300 chapters in and just now we're getting info on this kind of corruption

I like that we're learning about everything at the same time as the main character.

it also sets up future conversations between him and the other characters in his age group. Just imagine when we get the convo between him and Bakugo about everything. Deku going from the most idealistic of them to seeing between the cracks sets up a pretty good dynamic and gives him the foundation needed to lead his generation out of the corruption.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
tenor.gif

(Nagant's backstory)

Amazing chapter. Nagant's backstory is suitably dark and sympathetic, even more so than Stain you can really see how she ended up where she is. It's not so much that she particularly subscribed to AfO's ideology, she just feels it would be more authentic than society as is. Deku for his part is as on brand as ever, trying to understand everyone. I'm still expecting Nagant to switch sides at some point, it all depends on how Deku effects her in this battle. That panel on page 13 where a young Nagant looks excited to work for the Safety Commission shows me at one point she did earnestly want to be a hero. In a more authentic society she could do so again. If she believes Deku can facilitate that, then yeah, I think she'll switch back.

I do wish we had more information about the individual members of the Safety Commission. I know they are suppose to be an insidious background organization, but it'd be nice to have some names

Deku is gonna save Chisaki for sure, but other than that I could see Nagant actually capturing him. Would be cool if someone like Stain came to his rescue. Or maybe even some of the kids from 1-A. The only way to find out what happens is to read the next My Hero Academia!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a side note, I really like Nagant's expressions these last few chapters.

Her flashbacks and tenure as a government tool and even her interactions with AFO/freeing Overhaul constantly show her stone-faced, having basically lost her soul. Even her first volley of attacks against Deku showcase an utter indifference and expectation to outpace her adversary, yet she's been increasingly swerved and blindsided to the point that she's now starting to show emotion again like frustration and surprise. By the end of this chapter she's being pushed so hard that cornering Deku is filling her with something resembling glee. It's like this battle is restoring her drive again. It makes me wonder whether being pushed to the brink like this is gonna make her slip since every move of hers has been planned and deliberate so far. Feels like she might make a mistake soon.

Another thing I'm curious is whether parallel processes apply to her just as much as Deku. Granted, Deku's quirks are superboosted by OFA, but humans weren't really meant to hold more than one quirk, and AFO had to eventually surgically alter his body to handle things. I wonder whether using two quirks at once as much as Nagant's doing, who might not be used to it, may tax her stamina.

This feels 100% deliberate. It's exactly how I would write a story if I wanted to explore these themes but also needed to get the story okayed by the editorial board of a magazine for kids.

No need to explore the ethical ramifications of your teen heroes agreeing with a bunch of established villains and murderers and rebeling against a corrupt government that nevertheless seems to create a good society for the majority of people. Most of the people who were in charge are already dead. The heroes are free to build something new without having to deal with disposing the old.
That's a fair point, although I feel like MHA - and a lot of shounen - can often stretch the definition of "for kids" considering this is a series that as of recently introduced child murder and dismemberment, and it's not as if fighting corrupt government figures is something other shounen hasn't explored in the past. Although, one point which has been brought up here before is the willingness of how far they'd be willing to push things in regards to something that's squarely set in a near-future fictive, yet analogous version of Japan.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting for Deku to either win the battle - his first true All Might level feat of doing the impossible by saving people + beating a powerful adversary all on his own when forced into an inescapable corner - and instead having a "change of plans", taking both Nagant/Overhaul to help out the Boss, or for Nagant to "win" but being done in such a way that she won't take him to AFO. Perhaps Deku takes a mortal wound when her instructions were to bring him alive and they'll have to go patch him up, perhaps Deku actually manages to find some way to appeal to Nagant's mental state before passing out, or maybe Overhaul ends up having a quirk awakening after Deku protects him and instead backs him up/forces Nagant to make good on her deal (idk maybe he'll start "overhauling" with his feet? lol). Either way it goes, I suspect the ultimate outcome will end with Deku going underground for a bit with his new entourage to do what he feels is right, then we'll probably switch to a new arc seeing how the U-A students are holding up.

I think it'd be a bit cheap for Deku to get bailed out in such an important character-defining battle since his desire to reach out his hand to absolve villains of their suffering is his own, most likely he will play a part in helping Overhaul's pops. I also think it's way too early for him to get delivered to AFO when there's a bunch of characters left I'd think he has to meet before such a point happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.