• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is superior?

• Grits

Votes: 121 53.3%
  • Cream of Wheat

Votes: 106 46.7%

• Total voters

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I love both. It's hard to choose. I love hot cereal in general though.

Grits are great with mixing foods… especially toast and bacon. Cream of Wheat is sweeter though.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Half this thread is claiming grits are "savory". Ya'll just using them as a butter delivery system!

I mean, no lie but...grits do serve as a great vehicle for oils and fats. The absorbent, creamy texture of grits; the natural lean towards savory flavors...mmm

It's why sausage and grits are one of my favorite ways to prepare grits. See all that oil? Gotta get a little bit of that in every spoonful. lol

EDIT: and lets not start with grits and crab gravy. I know what I'm cooking this weekend.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Polenta is actually the cut-rate immitation of grits. They famously skipped the nixtamalization process when first bringing polenta to Italy which resulted in malnutrition for poorer folks who had to rely on it as a staple.
From Wikipedia:

Before the introduction of corn (maize) from America in the 16th century, polenta was made from starchy ingredients like farro, chestnut flour, millet, spelt, and chickpeas.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Not self respecting southern man eats instant grits.
Hey now, I know I'm not self-respecting but sometimes you just don't have the time. It takes maybe 6 minutes tops to nuke them versus the 20 or so on my stove (where, again, the laws of physics still apply).

I did introduce a coworker from the north to them one time about 3 years ago. He'd only had those shitty, slimy, smeary and flavorless grits from Cracker Barrel, so I had to set him straight on some lightly salted cheese grits.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Both are delicious but you don't want CoW when you want Grits and you don't want Grits when you want CoW.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
This why we will never rely on other people to do our grocery shopping for us. My chef bestie would blow a gasket if something she specifically ordered was replaced with something totally wrong for her purpose.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I'll take grits over cream of wheat, but I also wouldn't freak out if someone substituted one for the other. I can make either work in a meal.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
From Wikipedia:

Before the introduction of corn (maize) from America in the 16th century, polenta was made from starchy ingredients like farro, chestnut flour, millet, spelt, and chickpeas.
Sounds like a generic Italian word for porridge (and hummus?) that became more specific to their version of grits over time.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
I was never a fan of the white grits, but I saw this recipe on TV years ago and it's been my go-to preparation of them ever since:

www.foodnetwork.com

Cheese Grits

Get Cheese Grits Recipe from Food Network

I will say that the four tablespoons of butter that gets added at the end is completely unnecessary. I find that it makes the dish feel way too heavy, and after simmering in the milk and having the cheese added, it's really kind of overkill.

The recipe calls for "coarse ground cornmeal", which is also kind of misleading. Use whatever yellow (not white/hominy) non-instant grits you can find. I use this stuff:

www.bobsredmill.com

Yellow Corn Polenta

Our Yellow Corn Polenta cooks quickly and makes a rich, creamy porridge for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Made with coarsely ground yellow corn, it's also an essential ingredient for the classic Italian dish polenta.

It actually tastes like corn as opposed to the taste of "nothing" that grits usually have.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grits taste exactly like white rice with a denser oatmeal like texture. They are pretty bland, but are a great starch to convey butter, cheese or syrup.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people in this thread would put sugar in their grits

Feb 9, 2018
Grits are one of the few good things about living in the South.

But with Safeway being mostly out west, it wouldn't surprise me if someone working at one wasn't sure what grits even were. I really do think it's a regional thing that just hasn't fully spread throughout the country. Like, I've talked to people who live well outside the Southeast U.S. that have heard of grits, but never actually saw the stuff, much less ate it.

Basically this:

View: https://youtu.be/pWC0sKCS5oA?t=36

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I had a similar issue with coffee recently. I ordered a bag of the blackest blood of the caffeinated earth available, and the shopper got me decaf hazelnut instead. Like, wtf am I supposed to do with this trash? It's barely fit for a compost pile.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never had cream of wheat, but I love grits. Was served as school breakfast. Mix in salt and some butter, soo good. I'd slather it on honey and cinnamon toasted bread rolls they also served.