• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is superior?

• Grits

Votes: 121 53.3%
  • Cream of Wheat

Votes: 106 46.7%

• Total voters

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Also, while a lot of people might not have had grits before because they're a Southern US dish (which is true), if you're familiar with Italian cuisine, you've had "grits" before.

Polenta.

Polenta and grits are pretty much the same thing. Grits are made from white corn, and tend to be ground more finely than most types of polenta, so there's a creamier texture. But incredibly similar -- even down to the types of dishes made with them.

(Cornmeal is even closer to polenta, but that's a tangent. Besides, y'all ain't ready for a conversation on my hot water cornbread. That might be a little TOO Black)

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The texture is really...off. Not to yuck anyone's yum, but I was raised on smooth and creamy grits.

The grits in the OP look like chunky mashed potatoes.
Oh that's true I didn't notice that part. I definitely don't like them that thick.

What about this

grits2-2.jpg

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
One of these days I hope to try grits. I like corn so I imagine I should like grits if it is corn??
Never seen or heard of cream of wheat before but looks interesting.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All you grits deniers are really just denying yourselves the joy of a good southern brekfuss bowl.

Pimento-Cheese-Grits-Bowl-6.jpg

I prefer mine with scrambled eggs, cheese, sausage and/or bacon and hash browns. With grits of course.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Growing up, we had both sweet and savory versions of grits and cream of wheat, when we had it. My mom just switched it up. It remember liking cream of wheat better.

As a breakfast thing though, much prefer oatmeal, which I still eat. I like savory oatmeal as well, just some butter and salt.

I haven't had cream of wheat in a long ass time, maybe 20 years thinking about it, lol.

Don't eat grits anymore really either at home, only at restaurants on occasion when it's on offer. It's always savory.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I've had Grits, I like grits. Grits are better than cream of weak.

I will usually choose a good bowl of steel-cut oatmeal over grits though.
That said, this thread is making me want grits....

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet grits... sorry, gonna have to yuck that 'yum'; Savory Grits for lyfe!

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Actual hominy grits are actually healthier than regular corn meal. You can eat it sweet and savory. It has many culinary uses. By comparison, the only other thing you can do with Cream of Wheat is sticking things on the wall.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm sure whoever picks the order is required to offer a substitution, even if the substitution is shit.

This.

I've worked in online orders, and often a suitable sub just isn't available. There is an option for 'No Sub', but we can't possibly know if the customer will be pissed more at no sub at all or an unsuitable sub as we aren't psychic. Also, our bosses can get very nasty if we choose No Sub over literally any sub at all even if it's wildly inappropriate. Often it's a case of "well, cereal is cereal, it's that or nothing". The customer always has the choice of not accepting the unsuitable sub in place of a refund, so it makes more sense to go for that option even if its ridiculous in the eyes of the customer over the driver turning up with absolutely nothing in place of it.

So, it would be nice of people to bear this in mind before freaking out online and attempting to destroy our mental health. As much as people like to look down on our job, it's incredibly high pressure with insane targets to hit without getting anxiety over whether a customer is posting the decisions you made for everyone to laugh at online, despite clearly not knowing at all what or why we make those decisions and what state the store is like stock wise at that point. The job sucks enough as it is.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I ate so much cream of wheat as a kid. Add some butter and sugar, stir in milk until you get the consistency you want. Yum.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I dont know what either of those things are, but they have disgusting sounding names.

...Grits

that's got to be an uphill battle for marketers.

Dear west coast folks,

Grits are polenta.
Polenta are grits.

Thank you for your time,
Me

Oh it's Polenta? Polenta is nice.

And cream of wheat is like breakfast porridge made from wheat instead of oats?

what about couscous? Is that popular in the US?

Last edited:

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had either before... and I never knew what Grits were before this thread, although I'd heard mention of them through US media (in New Zealand).

I've had 'polenta chips' before but never in any other form so I still don't really have an idea of what this is like.

Grits and cream of wheat both sound like they could be pretty nice though, I like porridge made of oats although I tend to have that a little sweetened, no salt.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Dear west coast folks,

Grits are polenta.
Polenta are grits.

Thank you for your time,
Me
Holy... all this debate and it was polenta in the end? Yea I'm sure that's completely different from anything you make with wheat.

Also bitter-sweet works really well, I used to eat mine with white sweetened coffee , it was amazing.

Prazeni-koruzni-zganci.jpg

Although as far as substitution goes, superior alternative is made using buckwheat:
ajdovi-zganci-02-jernejkitchen.jpg

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Grits is a savory dish. You put butter, cheese, salt and pepper in it.

Cream of Wheat is like oatmeal. It's for fruits and sugar.

I want shrimp and GRITS, not shrimp and cream of wheat.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've never been a big fan of grits

But I get livid whenever my groceries get subbed for some absolute bullshit, so I feel for you OP

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
They're not the same thing but it doesn't fucking matter because they both taste like nothing until you add a pound of cheese and butter.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
I eat grits at least once a week. I think it's a cultural thing though because ive never seen a single Black person eat that other stuff.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
All you grits deniers are really just denying yourselves the joy of a good southern brekfuss bowl.

Pimento-Cheese-Grits-Bowl-6.jpg

I prefer mine with scrambled eggs, cheese, sausage and/or bacon and hash browns. With grits of course.
awQzBZX.jpg

One of our most popular dishes at my restaurant, Shrimp N Grits.

White Chedder grits, with shrimp cooked in butter, worstecshire sauce, hot suace, and sauteed pancetta and cippolini onions. grilled bread, green onions.
I've never had grits before but both of these look incredible 🤤

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Instant grits are a bastardization of real grits - never use. Quick grits are decent in a pinch.

Stone Ground White Grits is what you want.

Grits are a 4 to 1 ratio (4 cups liquid to 1 cup grits)

If making 1 cup of grits you want half your liquid to be milk (creamy Charleston style) add butter light salt and pepper

Bring to a low boil/simmer, cover and reduce to simmer until consistency you want is met. Stir every so often, if heat is too high bottom will burn.

Grits are VERY bland plain, you to add more need butter, salt and pepper at the end (to taste)

I suggest adding about half a costco log of Chevre at the end as well (Boursin also good), stir until rapture is achieved.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Only good thing about grits was helping to get those two utes off on those murder charges.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Poll only has two choices. I prefer Cream of Rice (although I have all three in my cupboard).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My impression of Safeway is they are located where not many people who know what grits are live.

Same places I would get weird looks for ordering sweet tea in a restaurant.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Oh that's true I didn't notice that part. I definitely don't like them that thick.

What about this

grits2-2.jpg
Was about to say, this is closer to how I eat them. I want a bit more "gritty" texture to it than it being perfectly smooth, but that first picture in the OP ain't right, lol.

But I might be a heathen because I just get a box of Jim Dandy and microwave it. When I'm eating grits I usually don't have time to make them on the stove (where the laws of physics still exist).