• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is superior?

• Grits

Votes: 121 53.3%
  • Cream of Wheat

Votes: 106 46.7%

• Total voters

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Walmart is amazing at this.
I've been upgraded from 8 cookies to a box of 50.
A box of 8 protein shake to a box of 20 (more than twice the price insane)
Hotdog package of 8 to package of 20
Etc

This is true somewhat but the tradeoff is that sometimes they don't have the specific brand and package of whatever you wanted, say a variety of lunch meat, and rather than substitute any of the 40 other brands of that same type of lunchmeat they have, they just mark it unavailable and you get nothing at all. You really expect me to believe the biggest Walmart in the region has no sliced turkey?

Then when you WOULD want to just get nothing instead, because you ordered something very specific, like a low carb low calorie wrap, the substitution is a massive stack of full-carb 200 calorie white tortillas.

You can edit the substitutions if they actually fire off the notification in time for you to do so, which in my experience they do not. If they decide it's unavailable though, even if you catch the substitution edit window, you can't pick another brand. Unavailable is just a dead end.

But yeah, sometimes you want a 16oz bottle of sauce and end up with a jug and pay the same price and don't have to buy sauce for 4 months lmao

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I had cream of wheat once. whatever. just another porridge that my dad used to make.

grits I've never had, because that's not really a thing in the northeastern United States. and I didn't bother to seek it out.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like grits but man I fuckin love Cream of Wheat. Maybe it's because I'm a Midwesterner who spent too much time at my grandparents house as a kid watching Price is Right and eating Cream of Wheat, but I love that stuff to this day. And I don't really even have to dress it up, just a square of butter and a splash of milk.

But that said, I eat oatmeal every day almost. I just switch it out now and then for cream of wheat.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Cream of wheat with a pat of butter and a pinch of salt is great.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
you-fool.png
LMAO

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Grits work well in savory applications (cheese and garlic or stock) while cream of wheat plays well with sweet flavors.
Both are good but different.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I had grits when I was travelling in the South, and I can't say I was impressed.

Cream of wheat, though? I loved that when I was a kid.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, HEB lets me choose which things they're allowed to substitute. Otherwise, if they don't have it, I'll just do without.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You can make both the same way or opposite. They're not *that* different. Base flavor changes mostly.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I love authentic grits, but I can't eat them very often. Just a little too heavy in my system

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
No self respecting southerner makes instant grits 🤷🏾‍♂️
While this is true-I will make grits on the stovetop for most ocassions-like yesterday I made a big bowl of shrimp and grits.

But if my daughter has to be out the door in 8 minutes and we are running around trying to get ready? Instant grits and she easts them in the car.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I grew up eating grits with sugar and butter. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Don't forget the spiced apples, cinnamon, and syrup.
Shrimp is for gumbo and seafood boils, not grits.

I don't even care if this catches me a ban; I'll shout it from the rooftops:
Sweet Grits for Life!
Down with all Forms of Savory Grits!

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
awQzBZX.jpg

One of our most popular dishes at my restaurant, Shrimp N Grits.

White Chedder grits, with shrimp cooked in butter, worstecshire sauce, hot suace, and sauteed pancetta and cippolini onions. grilled bread, green onions.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recently tried grits for the first time after picking up a slightly damaged box of the instant packets at a steep discount. I liked those, but then I bought a canister of the slightly less instant ones, and they seem terribly bland. Am I supposed to dump a bunch of salt in it or something?

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Cream of wheat made with milk and then some salt and a drizzle of maple syrup on top is a good ass food.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
awQzBZX.jpg

One of our most popular dishes at my restaurant, Shrimp N Grits.

White Chedder grits, with shrimp cooked in butter, worstecshire sauce, hot suace, and sauteed pancetta and cippolini onions. grilled bread, green onions.

Beautiful.

Also, reminds me.

There's Shrimp N Grits.

There's Sausage N Grits.

Am I the only one who makes Shrimp AND Sausage grits? Am I a glutton?

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the spiced apples, cinnamon, and syrup.
Shrimp is for gumbo and seafood boils, not grits.

I don't even care if this catches me a ban; I'll shout it from the rooftops:
Sweet Grits for Life!
Down with all Forms of Savory Grits!
Ima duck out. Not tryna catch a stray 😂😂

running-eddie-murphy.gif