• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's an incredible game. It's a murder mystery where you can investigate an entire island and the way you find stuff is up to you. It's not linear at all so you come across evidence as you explore and confront witnesses. The game documents every clue but will never flat out tell you the answer. It's about making your truth with what you have and then go into the trial and use your evidence to accuse who you think is the killer.

header.jpg

Also the godlike music makes the exploration incredible.

It will also have a vinyl release with an incredible cover

paradise-killer-vinyl.jpg

VO7MtAo.png

6RuGglQ.png

G2Fg0mv.png

QRsmTeE.png

3MR2BGl.png

Just remember to use all three footbaths. Trust me.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
At least link the game!

www.nintendo.com

Paradise Killer for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Paradise Killer and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

store.steampowered.com

Paradise Killer on Steam

Paradise Island, a world outside reality. There’s been a murder that only "investigation freak" Lady Love Dies can solve. Gather evidence and interrogate suspects in this open world adventure. You can accuse anyone, but you’ll have to prove your case in trial. It’s up to you to decide who’s guilty.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Good timing, my buddy was just telling me about this game last night. I love the Phoenix Wright games and the vaporwave aesthetic is just *chefs kiss*. Looks to be right up my alley.

One question though. I saw a Steam review that said that by the time you interrogate everyone and are ready to accuse someone, the mystery is pretty much solved for you. In other words, there aren't really any chances to make educated guesses and make your own deductions. Is that the case or is that person just full of it?

hunnies28

Sep 16, 2020
Can somebody confirm if this game has language options on switch version (spanish)? Text at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Good timing, my buddy was just telling me about this game last night. I love the Phoenix Wright games and the vaporwave aesthetic is just *chefs kiss*. Looks to be right up my alley.

One question though. I saw a Steam review that said that by the time you interrogate everyone and are ready to accuse someone, the mystery is pretty much solved for you. In other words, there aren't really any chances to make educated guesses and make your own deductions. Is that the case or is that person just full of it?

There's a lot more flexibility in the trial than that, in my opinion. You can begin the trial at any time, whether you've found all of the evidence and had all the conversations or not. Once the trial starts, you have your choice of who to accuse and which evidence to use. Ultimately, I think that a pretty clear picture emerges, but the player has decisions to make in how they want things to play out.

If you want a little more detail, without too much in the way of spoilers, I discussed that and a few other things with the Kaizen devs the other day:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hmmm I just finished Obra Dinn recently and it was one of my favorite games ever, would I like this?

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
There's a lot more flexibility in the trial than that, in my opinion. You can begin the trial at any time, whether you've found all of the evidence and had all the conversations or not. Once the trial starts, you have your choice of who to accuse and which evidence to use. Ultimately, I think that a pretty clear picture emerges, but the player has decisions to make in how they want things to play out.

If you want a little more detail, without too much in the way of spoilers, I discussed that and a few other things with the Kaizen devs the other day:

Awesome, thanks! That was the only thing really holding me back but I'll give this video a watch.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I really want to give this one a shot, but there are too many games right now and I don't have the time. I'll definitely check it out soon, though.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty great game with a super unique setting and an incredible soundtrack. My opinion of it as a mystery isn't super high, but it is quite fun nonetheless reaching the end of that mystery.

hmmm I just finished Obra Dinn recently and it was one of my favorite games ever, would I like this?

They're extremely different to the point that I don't think liking one means you'll like the other. Obra Dinn has you independently solving everything whereas Paradise Killer relies on you finding specific pieces of evidence, and largely tells you what significance that evidence will have. What Paradise Killer does offer is pure creativity with its lore and characters- there's just nothing else like them.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Played through it on Switch in 3 sittings two weeks ago, definitely one of my favorite games of the year. So weird and quirky, really enjoyed the vibe, writing, exploration and sleuthing. If you like games like Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn or Danganronpa, you should give this a try, it's cheap, short (took me about twelve hours and I explored a lot) and very memorable. Plus it has a character named Doctor Doomjazz, money well spent already.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely one of my favorite games of the year as well. Such a fantastic soundtrack, and one of the rare ones where it is consistently good throughout.

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
This game is fantastic, one of my favourites this year.

I love the characters and story, really cool unique idea

As everyone else has said, the soundtrack is incredible. It's all on Spotify now btw, been playing it all week

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't decided if it's my GotY yet, but it's damn close. Fantastic soundtrack, a really engaging world, some weird, cool-ass characters which are all important in a visual novel game. It's open-world too and thankfully, the gameplay is up to par, too. Easy to miss some items without help, but otherwise, it's all good.

'Leaving' is my personal highlight from the OST.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This game was awesome, I'm excited to see what is next from this studio.

And I'd love to see Paradise Killer 2 on Perfect 25.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's an adventure/detective game, but beyond gameplay, does this have similar energy to Hades
I think Paradise Killer might have a similar energy. Characters are more decadent because they are genocidal zealot maniacs that probably all fucked each other at some point in history and that includes you.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to choose a single favorite track, but "Headlights On The Shore" is near the top for me.

"EGO 24-7" is a certified banger.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
My GOTY too. The story/lore is so fucking out there, I don't know how they came up with this stuff. Possibly mushrooms?

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
i fuuuuuuuucking love this game

also I didn't see the OST was on spotify finally, nice.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Was my GOTY until I played There is No Game: Wrong Dimension, but I still love this game and need that vinyl. I've already bought the soundtrack on bandcamp, but it'sthe best game soundtrack I've heard in a long time.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Gave this game a purchase, Danganronpa series is amazing and this seems right up my alley. Liked the trailer they showed at one of those past press conferences.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I felt the end was a little anticlimactic, but the whole way through was so crazy engaging, I'd recommend it on that alone. Loved it.

How is the Switch version
Looks pretty good. Has a bit of dithering Unreal Engine games tend to have on Switch, didn't bother me too much.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I like the music and I'm interested. Is it right to compare it to Danganronpa, Ace Attorney and Hotel Dusk?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the end was a little anticlimactic, but the whole way through was so crazy engaging, I'd recommend it on that alone. Loved it.
I think knowing in advance what the trial would be like helped set my expectations accordingly, so it was sort of satisfying to see what I already knew come together.

Plus, I liked ultimately deciding what the "truth" would be and making sure that only those that felt deserving of punishment got a guilty verdict.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like the music and I'm interested. Is it right to compare it to Danganronpa, Ace Attorney and Hotel Dusk?
A majority of the game is like the Danganronpa evidence gathering segments set in an open world, except you're experiencing significant plot revelations during it. The court aspect is more tying a bow on the overall plot, and is mostly for presenting evidence to indict the one you're accusing. No objections or anything like that in this.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd just let the game's title screen roll...

A majority of the game is like the Danganronpa evidence gathering segments set in an open world, except you're experiencing significant plot revelations during it. The court aspect is more tying a bow on the overall plot, and is mostly for presenting evidence to indict the one you're accusing. No objections or anything like that in this.

While I found the court section a taaad underwhelming. I'm really more blue about how short the epilogue is for such a text-heavy game. Despite that though.... I really hope we'd pick up from 25 in a new game. :(

Nex

Oct 25, 2017
I think knowing in advance what the trial would be like helped set my expectations accordingly, so it was sort of satisfying to see what I already knew come together.

Plus, I liked ultimately deciding what the "truth" would be and making sure that only those that felt deserving of punishment got a guilty verdict.

It's kind of a veiled moral choice, which is really interesting as there's nothing explicitly indicating it in the game. In the end, on my second go at the trial, even knowing the truth, I decided to let Henry be executed - he was going to die, regardless - and save everyone, just cause I liked the characters so much.

THE INSPECTOR IS HERE

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just bought this and I'm loving the vibe but, damn, it's so blurry. Whether on my big TV or on the Switch's screen it's just awkward to play tbh. Really regret not getting this on PC :(