• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If you "get" that people don't like "Anime T&A" then you should be able to understand why they don't like One Piece and it's presentation when it comes to some of its female characters. It's shouldn't come as a surprise.
I love this board but fucking hell is it predictable when it comes to shit like this...I suppose you're right, I shouldn't be surprised.

I DO find it surprising that we're celebrating a tweet that is threatening an artist for his art-style mere weeks after 30 people got fucking murdered at Kyoani. I know the person is "joking" but it's a tasteless fucking joke and it's gross.

I'm sorry a Blach or Naruto fan complaining about One Piece female characters yet still read Naruto and Bleach which are way worse.

lol

I'm not saying Oda is great he defiantly isn't and I have been harsh with Oda for his treatment but he is way better then Kubo or Kishi.

But Kaiu Shirai is the current GOAT female character writer in Jump and Black Clover surprisingly

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The anime tends to look worse on this note than the manga...the animated version has a lot of off-model shots where proportions look especially fucked-up.
I keep seeing people say this so I went and looked at manga panels of Nami, Robin and Rebecca and they are all still completely ridiculous in term of proportions and design. Rebecca especially in her "armor".

So I don't understand how the manga versions are any better in that regard.

I'm sorry a Blach or Naruto fan complaining about One Piece female characters yet still read Naruto and Bleach which are way worse.

lol
I assume that's directed at me, but I literally just said that Bleach has its own set of issues and that I have trouble even watching it anymore. And Naruto does as well. Which is why I haven't really kept up with it after it was rebooted with Naruto's son.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I keep seeing people say this so I went and looked at manga panels of Nami, Robin and Rebecca and they are all still completely ridiculous in term of proportions and design. Rebecca especially in her "armor".

So I don't understand how the manga versions are any better in that regard.

I definitely agree that the manga is still wildly un-proportioned, but it's more stylish and artistically done, whereas the anime is less skillfully done. But if the heart of your issue is less the proportions in general and more about the female characters specifically, then yeah, the manga is no better on that note.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I definitely agree that the manga is still wildly un-proportioned, but it's more stylish and artistically done, whereas the anime is less skillfully done. But if the heart of your issue is less the proportions in general and more about the female characters specifically, then yeah, the manga is no better on that note.
Yeah the wonky proportions in general are something I don't like, but could get used to or deal with if I had to. But the female character designs in general are just absurd. And that's the point where I draw the line with OP. I can deal with it in some other stuff I watch, but in OP it's especially bad. The characters that I named being the main examples that I know of. I am sure there are more though.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

lol

I'm not saying Oda is great he defiantly isn't and I have been harsh with Oda for his treatment but he is way better then Kubo or Kishi.

But Kaiu Shirai is the current GOAT female character writer in Jump and Black Clover surprisingly
I'm more tripped out at OP getting mad about Nami and Robin despite being a fan if two characters that serve as pioneers in the sexualized anime girl character designs. Chun li and Mai Shiranui popularized that all across the world and have done more damage to women in Japanese media than One Piece ever did. Literally years of, "Yeah it's ok for girls to look like this."

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why people like the series, it's an unabashed shounen action romp that's been going for over 2 decades.

However, I hold my own dislike of the series for its portrayal of women and how its transgender characters are always the butt of a joke.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why people like the series, it's an unabashed shounen action romp that's been going for over 2 decades.

However, I hold my own dislike of the series for its portrayal of women and how its transgender characters are always the butt of a joke.
People dont like it because it's a "shonen romp" they like because it's a story about literally everything; and it all intertwines into a believable world with side characters that get more character development than most stories give their main characters. It's the only story I've experienced where the author is writing everything he's ever wanted to write in one, single fleshed out setting that's still going strong till this day. At least that's my honest perspective it's a solid 8/10 series with some issues weighing it down to that level.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
489896ebcebef826_w.jpg
Old One Piece art and animation reminds me of old animes. Sucks with the time skip

People dont like it because it's a "shonen romp" they like because it's a story about literally everything; and it all intertwines into a believable world with side characters that get more character development than most stories give their main characters. It's the only story I've experienced where the author is writing everything he's ever wanted to write in one, single fleshed out setting that's still going strong till this day. At least that's my honest perspective it's a solid 8/10 series with some issues weighing it down to that level.

Pretty much this.

Every arc is unique

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That first era of One Piece had great art. Right around the time skip was where they went crazy with making all the ladies of the show go through an unnatural and unnecessary growth spurt.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm more tripped out at OP getting mad about Nami and Robin despite being a fan if two characters that serve as pioneers in the sexualized anime girl character designs. Chun li and Mai Shiranui popularized that all across the world and have done more damage to women in Japanese media than One Piece ever did. Literally years of, "Yeah it's ok for girls to look like this."
I'm not getting mad, I'm more in surprise/awe at them being like that than anything.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the wonky proportions in general are something I don't like, but could get used to or deal with if I had to. But the female character designs in general are just absurd. And that's the point where I draw the line with OP. I can deal with it in some other stuff I watch, but in OP it's especially bad. The characters that I named being the main examples that I know of. I am sure there are more though.
Ehh I wouldn't let that hold me back from reading something top-tier as One Piece.

Give it another try. One Piece is legit.

One Pieces art style is god awful.

No/
Oda is an amazing illustration.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
1) I say shounen romp because the series is explicitly that. Upbeat protagonist, incredibly over-the-top bombastic action, huge spikes in power creep, large number of villains, male-gaze drawn women, etc. I'm not saying it as an insult since these traits could apply to many western products such as superhero comics, I'm saying that people like it BECAUSE the series has everything shounen fans look for.

2) Is one of the things that slightly weighs the series down for you it's portrayal of transgender characters?

Oct 25, 2017

You didn't understand the OP's post did you

RRW

Oct 26, 2017

lol

Huh, Oda might have better overall art and story compare to Kishi and Kubo. But that doesn't stop people to criticize Oda bad woman art. Heck i say Kubo and Kishi have better woman art

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Let't not forget the unadulterated sense of adventure you get from the story. Even if there escapades in various lands hit similar story beats, the settings are all wildly different. From an archipelago with giant floating bubbles that highlights extreme classicism , to a kingdom underwater that is used for a setting to explore slavery and the fight for civil rights, to an island chain fashioned after a magical candy land that is literally the most dangerous place the Strawhats have had to fight, every arc brings new sights, characters, and over-arcing story beats.

But never mind all that people have just loved this story for 20 years because it's a shonen romp with boobs and hourglass figures.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Can't stand reading One Piece nowadays (I don't watch anime)

The pages are always so busy with so much stuff it's just tiring to read for me.

And yes, it's weird to see that's basically any sort of attractive looking women in OP is a clone of Nami or Robin.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
2) Is one of the things that slightly weighs the series down for you it's portrayal of transgender characters?
Yes and no.

The most offensive thing One Piece has done with its trans characters is kamabakka island which in the series is basically the home island of the "okama" and most of them fall under the trappings of the scary gay trope as a gag against Sanji. That will always be fucked up no matter how you spin it and to me blemishes the series.

And also no, because Bon Clay is genuinely a fantastic character with a goofy appearance but becomes one of the most positive, well doing characters in the entire series. Other characters in the series (primarily Sanji) are openly transphobic, yet Luffy who sort of acts as the author's moral barometer doesn't treat them any differently from anyone else or degrade them. Even recently a female character named Kiku came out and told the central characters she was born a man, and all Luffy could do is talk about how cool her mask is.

Like I said the series kind of is about everything in a respect, with the primary message being freedom of being yourself despite the world being a brutal dystopian dictatorship where prejudice is openly rampant to the whims of nobility.

It has bad shit in it but it also has good lol. That's what prevents One Piece from being perfect from me. The transphobia, the designs of "sexy" women, the pacing. However suggesting this stuff doesn't go unchecked by the author is also disengenuious as well.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that. Also you telling people they should ignore the way it portrays women and transgender individuals just because it's "top tier" is not a good look in my opinion. Just saying.
Can you explain how he portrays transgender or women? Because I think One Piece treats every race and gender pretty well.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
And you don't see any problem with the way that some of the female characters are designed? Like Rebecca and her "armor"? Or how drastically Nami's design changed after the timeskip?

I can see why it would raise eyebrows but thats about it. If I got hung up on things like that I wouldn't be able to read or watch 80% of the great things coming from Japan. Kil La Kill, Berserk, the list goes on. One Piece isnt a Hentai or anything, so what if the designs are that exaggerated?
I have honestly never heard of anyone avoiding OP becasue of Nami and other females. I just wanted to understand why is all.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The anime has gotten way worse over time, complete shit compared to what it used to be in the East Blue and Alabasta arcs. But it doesn't help that post-time skip that every woman's breast size has increased exponentially in the manga, sigh (did Oda ever answer why in the QA corner?). It is misleading to look at the horrible art in the current anime and think it is all Oda's doing, most women look far better in the manga aside from the ridiculous DDD breasts everywhere.

Last edited:

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The designs aren't great to begin with but the anime definitely doesn't do them any favors, particularly in off-model shots.

Jun 22, 2019
I really like One Piece, but all the representation critiques are super valid.
The men have a far wider variety of body types than the woman characters. Like there's every shape imaginable for the men, to inhuman extents. Women are generally "sexy hourglass" or "rotund and (usually) old."
The wacky bodies are a stylistic choice and they're great, even if they off-put a lot of naive western anime viewers. But the women characters rarely get that same sort of wacky design treatment.

People were mentioning how unique OP's arcs are in this thread, but I actually think it's the opposite at this point, because there's so much reused aspects. OP generally (exceptions exist obviously) has like 3 different arc structures that endlessly loop with different background decor and characters, but the same general themes and tone.
I wonder how many more kingdoms that fell to a tyrant the Strawhats still have to save before the series concludes. I'm so over that at this point.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
And you don't see any problem with the way that some of the female characters are designed? Like Rebecca and her "armor"? Or how drastically Nami's design changed after the timeskip?
That redesign was so fucking terrible. It's only edged out, design wise, by the Franky's redesign. However I do love the art style of One Piece. I just like its goofy charm.
I wonder how many more kingdoms that fell to a tyrant the Strawhats still have to save before the series concludes. I'm so over that at this point.
Hey, not so many actually fell to a tyrant.

Drumm
Dress Rosa
Wano

Crocodile didn't really take over Arabasta yet, before he was defeated.
Hody was also defeated before he took over.
Just responded for fun, but unless I forgot something it actually doesn't seem to be that many

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can see why it would raise eyebrows but thats about it. If I got hung up on things like that I wouldn't be able to read or watch 80% of the great things coming from Japan. Kil La Kill, Berserk, the list goes on. One Piece isnt a Hentai or anything, so what if the designs are that exaggerated?
I have honestly never heard of anyone avoiding OP becasue of Nami and other females. I just wanted to understand why is all.
Well now you have and now you know why.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019

Given that Gladiatrix used to fight topless, Rebecca's armor is actually LESS revealing than actual historical fact.

It also fits the notion that most gladiators fought armor-less.

So yeah it's obvious eye-candy, but it's eye-candy that has actual historical truth to it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Given that Gladiatrix used to fight topless, Rebecca's armor is actually LESS revealing than actual historical fact.

It also fits the notion that most gladiators fought armor-less.

So yeah it's obvious eye-candy, but it's eye-candy that has actual historical truth to it.
Dude are you seriously trying to use "historical accuracy" to defend a half naked female character in a show that is aimed at kids?

Are you serious right now? lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That thread title is misleading. Yeah the way he tends to draw women is really the worst part of an otherwise pretty great manga.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
nami actually looked like a person in the beginning of the series

but oda had to just....do that as time progressed.

at the same time however, im not gonna say toei doesnt have a huge part to play with the weird off model designs in certain scenes. This is what happens with all anime when cutting corners

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
when one part of your storytelling device constantly objectifies and undermines your characters ability to tell their own stories you are a shitty author.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): aggressively dismissing concerns over misogyny and accusations of false outrage over a series of posts in the thread
Dude are you seriously trying to use "historical accuracy" to defend a half naked female character in a show that is aimed at kids?

Are you serious right now? lol

Oh is this one of those things where you take a swig of your wine snifter at the end and laugh like this about how uber woke you are?

Is there any real historical accuracy to it? I dunno. Does it matter? Not really. Don't like the series because insert personal hang-ups. Fine it's your take and all that good fun stuff. I'm not bothered by any depictions of anything on the show, because I don't hyper focus on every single little tidbit looking, waiting, and salivating for something to be offended and outraged by because that sounds like an appalling and dreary life not worth living AT ALL. Who it's aimed at in it's home country vs the discussing country will ALWAYS be mixed given that the shows has no issue showing graphic violence and on-screen bloody deaths so I'm not gonna be outraged over this. Have I noticed that the designs for Nami and Robin have gotten bustier and more curvy? Yeah. Has it bothered me? No, because I'm obsessing over it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not bothered by any depictions of anything on the show, because I don't hyper focus on every single little tidbit looking, waiting, and salivating for something to be offended and outraged by because that sounds like an appalling and dreary life not worth living AT ALL.
This is such a bullshit statement. Nobody on here is acting that way at all. Other people and myself having issues with the ridiculous ways that some of the female characters are designed does not mean we are "salivating for something to be offended by".

You come off as a disingenuous troll when you talk like that.

Hakai

Oct 27, 2017
Since when an art style has to be realistic? Oda's art in One Piece is very stylized overall and that's fine. Do I think there is no sexualization and fan service in his work? Hell no, it sure has. But his portrays of people in general should no be put against reality, since he is not atempting a realistic approach but a stylized one.

Also his story is full of badass women with all different kinds of bodies so...