• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I want to know what to say to them. Some are really not shy about stating that the problem they have is the person being cast is a different race than the character they are familiar with and well yeah. I can tell one of them has been sucked in by the YouTube nightmare and has a huge problem with... Women I guess? Sometimes it's hard for me to get a good point across to them as to why they are being gross and it would be nice to have something on hand I can give them to support my argument. Simply asking why they have a problem with it at all seems to be shrugged off easily by fandom rhetoric that I'm not familiar with. I should get some new friends maybe but 2 of them I'm their boss sooooo. It's complex.
What characters do they have a problem with? Not all friends are perfect, if they get worse then no need to be friends with them though. I normally don't care who gets cast but I was one of the people arguing about there's nothing wrong with Finn Jones being Iron Fist.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Arguing about casting is like wow who cares, you're going to watch it and like it anyway. They know what they're doing by now.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
That's a really tough situation because of the power dynamics. I would just say to them that media is changing for the better and giving people more of a chance of seeing themselves represented on screen. They can choose to be selectively precious about what can or cannot change with their characters and get increasingly marginalized in society, or they can be happy that people different than them are getting a chance to see themselves onscreen.

You could also add (if you're a POC), "Hey, all my life I've had to adjust to and connect with protagonists that didn't look like me. You guys'll be fine."

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and Catwoman. Big trigger there with Catwoman. I could complain to HR but I think it's premature with that. I enjoy the movies too and I engage in conversation but when we get on the subject of casting I roll my eyes for a straight 10 minutes. I'd like to educate rather than shut things down immediately.
Tell them Selina is Latina in the comics and ask them why they didn't care about Anne Hathaway playing her.

Oct 25, 2017
You said it yourself, get new friends.

Cutting them off, especially while being their boss, would be their best chance at getting learned.

edit: had an old theatre school friend try and tell me last year that people are "too sensitive these days" with regards to their expression of their gender identities. he had been saying some not-cool stuff in a similar vein ever since he came back into my life, so one night at my friend's illegal cafe i straight up told him how hard i disagree with him, and if he can't see it my way he can't be in my life.

have't seen him since, haven't shed a single tear over it.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I want to know what to say to them. Some are really not shy about stating that the problem they have is the person being cast is a different race than the character they are familiar with and well yeah. I can tell one of them has been sucked in by the YouTube nightmare and has a huge problem with... Women I guess? Sometimes it's hard for me to get a good point across to them as to why they are being gross and it would be nice to have something on hand I can give them to support my argument. Simply asking why they have a problem with it at all seems to be shrugged off easily by fandom rhetoric that I'm not familiar with. I should get some new friends maybe but 2 of them I'm their boss sooooo. It's complex.

Are your friends the kind of people who didn't care about comics until the MCU and then, now that it's popular, are upset because it doesn't conform 1:1 with their ideals of what they think the comics are supposed to be?

I see a lot of that lately. "I hate that Gamora and Nebula are so prominent in Avengers!", "Quick, tell me 3 Guardians villains".

Silence.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

Having dealt with some people like this before, it's almost always just a very surface level reaction to seeing casting news from a bad source. I talk to them about WHY character [x] needs to be cast in a specific way and eventually it comes down to them simply not being able to match up the character they imagine to the character that will appear on screen, but they eventually understand that it's not a BAD thing when this happens. These kind of nerds complain about MOST casting choices unless it's Patrick Stewart as Professor X levels of fan service.

Unless they're proper shitlords who promote white-genocide bullshit.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Ask them if they would continue bitching if Black Panther was a white guy

(They probably would have no complaints with that)

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Can you tell us exactly what your friends are saying?

As far as Catwoman... there have been two black women who have played the character. One in the old Adam West show and Halle Berry.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
With acquaintances, my approach is to say I don't think it's a big deal and that it's actually kind of cool to see an alternate version of a familiar character, especially since minority kids don't get to see themselves reflected in the heroes they watch as often as white kids do. As long as the actor's good and does the role justice, it's all good, right? Then I play dumb and say I just don't see what the issue could possibly be and probe until the person gets uncomfortable and agrees/concedes that my position is reasonable.

Note: I'm brown so you're mileage may vary.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Sorry but nobody cares what your loser friends think. You're right though, get new ones.

If anything Marvel needs more diversity. Disney needs to get some already diverse super heros out in MCU-

Kamalak Khan- Ms.Marvel.
Shang-chi- Chinese Martial arts hero(this iirc is happening)
Silk- Korean-American female with powers similar to spidy.
North-star- canadian,openly Gay superhero
Ms. America Chavez- Mexican/LGBT

A few ones at top of my head.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Look at them seriously and say
"So you're mad that someone else's pretend isn't the same as your pretend? (First sentence can be skipped if you're not a sarcastic asshole like me). Marvel is doing a great job bringing comics to quality movies and TV series, lets cut them a little slack? Also, you sound misogynistic and a little racist that this bothers you so much".

I call out friends if they're being a PoS.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Honestly, most people I know that complain about that don't really care or know much about the comics anyway. There was a guy I knew that complained about Heimdell being black, and when I asked him if he read comics he said no.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny to me that so many people act like nothing can be changed, Blah blah, they're not real people! Who cares if Spidey is black, or gay or whatever. He can be anything, that's kind of the point.

The hating on women thing is baffling tho. I've never understood that at all.
There even is a black Spider-Man, Miles Morales. Of course, he's not the only one though since Peter Parker is too popular to be rid of completely.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely know people who hate Captain Marvel because to them, it leaned too heavy on WOMAN POWER or some shit like that. I genuinely don't get it. Even had him tell him how proud he was of his girlfriend because she stated she wanted to see Mulan but was really hoping it didn't have too many Women fuck yea moments. Example cited was that one moment in End Game was several of the female heroes all struck a pose and charged for a few seconds.

I just don't fucking get it.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, one of my friends brings up 'all the MCU cast hates Brie Larson' every time we talk about Marvel movies ¬_¬

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head: Nick Fury (he's white in the main comics universe, but the MCU version is based on the Ultimate version, who was actually based on Sam Jackson), MJ, Ned Leeds (although Ned Leeds in name only. MCU version is more based on Ganke Lee, who's Asian in the comics), Flash Thompson, Liz Allan, Mordo, the Ancient One, Ghost, Heimdal, Valkyrie, Korath (still Kree canonically, though), and several of the Eternals.
And pre retcon, the mandarin of course.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Are your friends the kind of people who didn't care about comics until the MCU and then, now that it's popular, are upset because it doesn't conform 1:1 with their ideals of what they think the comics are supposed to be?

I see a lot of that lately. "I hate that Gamora and Nebula are so prominent in Avengers!", "Quick, tell me 3 Guardians villains".

Silence.
People hate that the daughters of thanos were important characters in the movies with Thanos as the main villain?

OP
OP
Kyra

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Silence.

We talk about the films and I am not familiar with the source material. We mostly enjoy them and talk about how aweosme they are. I dont really notice if they have issues with the way things change but there is a very obvious pattern that if a character is white or a man iiin the comic they bring it up that its different int he movie or will be different because they follow who sis cast and what the plans are for future movies. I often sit these exchanges out and put in that I dont have an issue with the casting because I havent seen the movie and theres no reason for me to believe that whoeve ris chosen would do a poor job to the character. It doesnt make a difference to me but it seems to be an issue to them, and its just really fucking stupid.

Can you tell us exactly what your friends are saying?

As far as Catwoman... there have been two black women who have played the character. One in the old Adam West show and Halle Berry.

The conversation usually goes something like...

"This and This was super cool in Endgame eh Bob?"
"Thats right Ferguson. When Cap said "X gon' give it to ya." I nearly wet my pants."
"Say, did you hear Catwoman is Black now?"
"Sure did Bob. Why do they do this? Selina Kyle is not black."
"Yeah Fergdawg It's like what they did with MJ. They should leave these chartacters alone and include prominant Black superheros if they want to be Diverse. Amiright!!!!"

Me: STFU fuckin idiots

Oct 25, 2017
You and me both. My good friend (although not much shame as yours, but was easily indecisive toward MCU women) i.e. He was making fun of Captain Marvel movie for not able to keep her "slim and sexy". That because no one else taught him about the sexism in his life, and he is in his 30s.

I would discipline him about this, but it was too challenge for him since he's an illiterate.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Ask them why the fuck does it matter. It doesn't change anything at all with the film. The cast are people, not more, not less, and the heroes they embody aren't heroes because of their skin colour or ethnicity but because of the shit they do to save people, even if those people had a problem with them like your friends. Who gives a shit if Spiderman's black as long as he kicks ass and keeps the bad guys off of Gotham's streets.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It ain't easy to do that, and sometimes you don't need new friends, you just need your current friends to be smarter.
Sometimes people don't want to be smarter. It's nice to want to convert your friends but it's unnecessary to hit your head against a wall again and again trying to convince people who aren't interested in being convinced.

The conversation usually goes something like...

"This and This was super cool in Endgame eh Bob?"
"Thats right Ferguson. When Cap said "X gon' give it to ya." I nearly wet my pants."
"Say, did you hear Catwoman is Black now?"
"Sure did Bob. Why do they do this? Selina Kyle is not black."
"Yeah Fergdawg It's like what they did with MJ. They should leave these chartacters alone and include prominant Black superheros if they want to be Diverse. Amiright!!!!"

Me: STFU fuckin idiots
You should say that for characters whose race isn't somehow intriniscally tied to their nature as a character, people doing adaptations are free to go in any direction and probably should go in dierections that promote more diversity in Hollywood. They might rebut with something like "Well black people would get mad if Storm or Black Panther were played by a white person so why can't I be angry about Selina". The response to that is that being African is an intrinsic part of those characters identities in a way that Selina doesn't compare.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Tell them fiction has been historically written by white men starring white men and for a crowd targeted at white men. If we refuse to change characteristics about characters such as race then there is a fundamentally lack of representation in popular media and quite honestly it limits the sort of stories you can tell for these characters. Plus we already have the original stories and interpretations. Frankly you can do really interesting and progressive things with characters that is emphasized by the juxtaposition of the characters history with a new portrayal. It's just, better in practically every way.

I mean just look at Aquaman, traditionally a blonde haired white dude. Now Jason Mamoa comes to mind when a lot of people think of the character. Not only is that cool because Mamoa is an awesome dude, but also - at least for me - there is something that just feels right about changing the race/culture/nationality of a character to something that fits more with the idea. Like Arthur isn't Hawaiian (or Samoan, Polynesian, or any other island nation/culture that evokes the sort of tropical, seafaring imagery like that), but just because of Jason's race/ethnicity it adds to the character in an meta way that I find cool. Plus a marine biologist major who cares about nature playing that character is neat.

If you're friends can't get behind that I don't know what else to say.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
None of the characters named were intrinsically written for this or that race though, right? MJ doesn't need to be white in the way that Black Panther needs to be black. Or how Miles Morales is a black character. I don't know about Catwoman. Isn't that movie super old and, more importantly, awful? Those people hold grudges for a long time.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
None of the characters named were intrinsically written for this or that race though, right? MJ doesn't need to be white in the way that Black Panther needs to be black. Or how Miles Morales is a black character. I don't know about Catwoman. Isn't that movie super old and, more importantly, awful? Those people hold grudges for a long time.

Nah, no way can a non-black Black Panther work. It ties into everything about him. You can change many things about Black Panther but not that.
But maybe someone will prove me wrong.