• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I just said it wasn't. I'm making the point that there's stuff people are explicitly avoiding by not wanting to adopt adult dogs with an unknown history that's completely reasonable.

It's completely understandable to not want a dog with an unknown history, but shelters aren't only going to have adult dogs (especially if you're anywhere near a major city). OP's friend wants a puppy, there's plenty of puppies at shelters.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I would say to your friend that a dog is not worth risking your and your family and friends' lives over. Especially when you can just wait and get another puppy from this same breeder once the current global pandemic has subsided.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Tell him to stay home and adopt a husky instead. Better breed and he doesn't have to endanger himself and those around him.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Did OP's friend already pay in full? Most breeders expect at least a non-refundable deposit. It's easy to say just get a shelter dog but he could be throwing away a lot of money.

There are plenty of responsible breeders. They register with national kennel clubs and have strict guidelines to follow. Not every breeder is a puppy mill, and there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a responsible breeder.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Put that dog on a plane and pick him up at the airport.
This may be the best solution. It reduces exposure to the virus the most (well, besides not doing anything all) and still allows the puppy to find a home. I think I'll try to convince my friend to do this.

I just hope it won't be scared being loaded onto a plane by itself.
Did OP's friend already pay in full? Most breeders expect at least a non-refundable deposit. It's easy to say just get a shelter dog but he could be throwing away a lot of money.

There are plenty of responsible breeders. They register with national kennel clubs and have strict guidelines to follow. Not every breeder is a puppy mill, and there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a responsible breeder.
I don't know; I hadn't asked. The puppy is already born and part of a litter, so it's possible my friend already paid the breeder at this point.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
This truly feels like setting the stage for a dramedy ten years from now set during the pandemic.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have to imagine that breeders are used to working out travel arrangements for animals. I would just contact them and see what their suggestion is.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I work at a shelter. No judgment on going to a breeder, there's nothing inherently wrong with breeders in general, and there's nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed that you're not ever gonna see in a shelter unless you win the lottery. I know it's off topic but since it's kind of turning into the thread focus: dogs from shelters can be good, dogs from shelters can be bad; same for dogs from breeders. There's no such thing as a "shelter dog", as if there is some inherent quality that gets instilled in an animal the moment it enters a shelter.

To be on topic, your friend travelling to pick up this puppy is wildly irresponsible. Yes, the situation sucks, but everybody's situations suck right now. The pandemic is just a fact of life and so is the idea that we all have to make sacrifices on our normal lives until things are stabilized. Trying to brute force your way into normalcy, no matter how unfair the situation, is just selfish. Sympathy to your friend, but there will always be more puppies! A breeder's job is, yknow, breeding.

Side note, I highly doubt the puppy "only exists" because your friend committed to getting one. A litter has more than one puppy.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I work at a shelter. No judgment on going to a breeder, there's nothing inherently wrong with breeders in general, and there's nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed that you're not ever gonna see in a shelter unless you win the lottery. I know it's off topic but since it's kind of turning into the thread focus: dogs from shelters can be good, dogs from shelters can be bad; same for dogs from breeders. There's no such thing as a "shelter dog", as if there is some inherent quality that gets instilled in an animal the moment it enters a shelter.

To be on topic, your friend travelling to pick up this puppy is wildly irresponsible. Yes, the situation sucks, but everybody's situations suck right now. The pandemic is just a fact of life and so is the idea that we all have to make sacrifices on our normal lives until things are stabilized. Trying to brute force your way into normalcy, no matter how unfair the situation, is just selfish. Sympathy to your friend, but there will always be more puppies! A breeder's job is, yknow, breeding.

Side note, I highly doubt the puppy "only exists" because your friend committed to getting one. A litter has more than one puppy.
I mean the litter exists because of my friend and other prospective adopters, not just this one puppy.

Aug 3, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility
Boohoo I cant get a dog possibly while many are out or work, sick, or dying.

Fuck this piece of shit thread.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Calm down. As I mentioned previously, this is in no way supposed to be a comparison to the hardships other people are having.

...And it's not even going to be my dog. I'm just concerned about my friend and the puppy.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get a shelter puppy from a local shelter then instead. The breeder will have no trouble finding another home for the dog.

Always adopt a dog or cat from a local shelter is usually my base answer for anyone getting a pet anyways. I generally recommend not supporting breeders.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
alot of breeders have experience in shipping dogs via airlines. idk if whats going on is effecting that sort of thing, but might be something to consider.

knock it off. world doesn't revolve around you. go ahead and post this in the animal crossing thread with people excited about their new switches and new games they also bought if you want to thread shit

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I mean the litter exists because of my friend and other prospective adopters, not just this one puppy.

Did the breeder wait until they had X number of committed people before having their dogs do the nasty? I would be surprised if they did it that way. Usually breeders are working on a breeding/seasonal schedule. Pretty sure the puppies would have existed whether your friend had put down money or not, so (unless the breeder does things differently than my experience) your friend can at least rest easy on that point.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Did the breeder wait until they had X number of committed people before having their dogs do the nasty? I would be surprised if they did it that way. Usually breeders are working on a breeding/seasonal schedule. Pretty sure the puppies would have existed whether your friend had put down money or not, so (unless the breeder does things differently than my experience) your friend can at least rest easy on that point.
I don't know, but from my limited interactions with her she seemed responsible enough, I guess.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Anyone defending this guy making a cross country trek to get a puppy from a breeder seriously need to take a long look at why you are so selfish.

Buying a dog is not Essential. Stay the fuck at home and don't put other people at risk.

To those of you suggesting flying... WHAT THE FUCK? Going to an airport and exposing yourself to people coming and going anywhere is selfish AF and plain stupid.

Get a dog when this whole thing blows over. Why are people so selfish?

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
We looked for months for a non shedding shelter dog. Finally found one from a breeder cause I don't think it was going to happen with a shelter.

But I would never travel that great a distance especially with the pandemic. Get her to buy one locally.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
User Warned: Hostility
don't get a dog at a fucking breeder your friend is a dick and stupid af

Mar 23, 2019
Yeeaahh the odds of finding a corgi pup in a shelter are very slim, and even if they did it's still not a guarantee the shelter would approve the adoption. Let's not assume the OP's friend didn't already try.

See if there's anyway to get the pup without making the trip. No reason not to do it if it can be done safely.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
honestly, him doing this would be irresponsible and selfish. it's nonessential travel.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your friend can wait. The puppy can wait.
Cities are starting to go on full lockdown mode and there's a possibility your friend will be putting the puppy in an even worse situation should he get caught out while non-essential travel is banned. Don't let him do this.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Pandemic or not, I tend to not have much empathy for people who feel they need a super specific breed and go the breeder route.

Most local shelters have a variety of dogs to choose from. Unless your friend lives in an apartment and the only dogs available for adoption locally are farm dogs that need a lot of a space and are super high energy, he probably has other options.

As far as the crux of your question, it doesn't seem worth making that long of a road trip given the current situation. He should wait or see if there's some service he can pay for that can help facilitate him getting the dog without having to travel as far as that.

This statement is utter bullshit as the owner of a shelter dog.

Yep. Animals are incredible malleable with enough consistent training and reinforcement.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
why not? if the dogs responsibly bred and the owner can spend the time and money necessary to care for it, then there's no harm. adoptions great and should be the first consideration, but its not for everyone.
because there's more dogs than are able to be adopted out there and dog breeds are generally less healthy than mixed breeds

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Getting dogs from a breeder is super lame. Why not rescue one?

The fact this particular dog is out of state makes your friend sound ridiculous.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
No one has yet pointed out the obvious: It's a corgi, the 13th most popular dog breed in the USA. Corgi puppies are super easy to get basically anywhere. Why does he need a corgi puppy from this specific breeder in Maine?

There are 8 litters in Florida with puppies for sale right now, and that's just from reputable and registered breeders. God only knows how many corgi puppies there are for sale right now in Florida from breeders that don't go through all the bother of having an AKC registration.

Also OP you say you are worried about this specific puppy. Believe me, if your friend doesn't get it there is a waiting list of people that will take the puppy because corgis are super popular.

This is a spectacularly stupid idea.

Don't traumatize a puppy by making it fly in an airplane cargo hold to get to you. I know this is common practice but it's fucking insane.

ETA: I just checked the AKC puppy finder for breeders in Maine and none of them have puppies right now. So your friend isn't even getting the puppy from a reputable breeder. This "we live in Florida but are driving to Maine to get a corgi puppy from a breeder that's not even on the AKC list" is absurd.

Last edited:

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why you feel the need to involve yourself in their decisions.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
We just adopted an Alaskan Husky puppy from a shelter over the weekend.

Everything was paid for by the city; vaccines, worm tablets, neutering, electronic chip, registration.

Only cost us $200 for the adoption fee which includes the dog and all the above.
Alaskan Husky puppies usually sell upwards of $1,000 and higher with breeders.

I highly recommend adopting a dog right now the shelters are probably at maximum capacity.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
because there's more dogs than are able to be adopted out there and dog breeds are generally less healthy than mixed breeds
That second point isn't true at all. Poorly bred dogs can be less healthy of course but that's what's in shelters as well as puppy mills. A good breeder does what they can to weed out unhealthy dogs to prevent passing on bad traits (for example the parents would be health screened). Plus some people want certain traits in a dog and a good breeders able to increase those chances of those traits being in the puppy.

not to defend the OPs friend (driving across the country right now is a ridiculous idea) but there's plenty of valid reasons to get a responsibly bred dog

No one has yet pointed out the obvious: It's a corgi, the 13th most popular dog breed in the USA. Corgi puppies are super easy to get basically anywhere. Why does he need a corgi puppy from this specific breeder in Maine?

There are 8 litters in Florida with puppies for sale right now, and that's just from reputable and registered breeders. God only knows how many corgi puppies there are for sale right now in Florida from breeders that don't go through all the bother of having an AKC registration.

Also OP you say you are worried about this specific puppy. Believe me, if your friend doesn't get it there is a waiting list of people that will take the puppy because corgis are super popular.

This is a spectacularly stupid idea.

Don't traumatize a puppy by making it fly in an airplane cargo hold to get to you. I know this is common practice but it's fucking insane.

ETA: I just checked the AKC puppy finder for breeders in Maine and none of them have puppies right now. So your friend isn't even getting the puppy from a reputable breeder. This "we live in Florida but are driving to Maine to get a corgi puppy from a breeder that's not even on the AKC list" is absurd.
FYI just because the breeders on the AKC site doesn't mean they're reputable. They barrier to entry there is quite low.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Don't traumatize a puppy by making it fly in an airplane cargo hold to get to you. I know this is common practice but it's fucking insane

Yeah I understand people do it all the time but I'd never subject my dogs, or any dog to that. It's cruel, they don't understand what's going on.

If he absolutely has to have a Corgi pup buy one locally, the link to many are in the thread. It sounds like he probably got a screaming deal on one from a sketchy breeder because that's the only way any of this traveling to Maine makes any sense.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Calm down. As I mentioned previously, this is in no way supposed to be a comparison to the hardships other people are having.

...And it's not even going to be my dog. I'm just concerned about my friend and the puppy.

That was a shitty way for them to put it, but that does bring up a good point. It's not just about your friend risking himself. Is he taking the global situation seriously? Does he understand the impacts on others that their decision could have? The difficulties you mentioned are inconveniences for him, but impacts on others could be much larger. That's the reason these limitations are going into place.

Anyhow, I ask that just to say that perhaps you could have an honest conversation with him and try and shift his perspective. Someone in my life was in a similar situation, and while it was difficult, we were able to work out another option for them. DMs are open if the tone of this thread continues to be a hassle :P

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I don't understand why you feel the need to involve yourself in their decisions.

Eh, I'm with OP here. The global situation is unprecedented, and reality is setting in for everyone in different ways. Sometimes our friends and family need help to understand the weight of the situation and impacts of their decisions. Helping one another in that way helps everyone.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
You shouldn't get your dogs from breeders but if he sleeps in his car I can't see how they are harming anyone.

Maine to Florida is not "across the country" though wth