• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
With the pandemic getting worse and worse by the day, I'm concerned about my friend not being able to get the puppy he's been planning to adopt for months. He's been in contact with a breeder from Maine (we live in Florida) for a good while now and has been going through the process of getting a puppy from her. We even met with her a few weeks ago in late February and she went through the process of raising a corgi (the breed my friend wants).

He's planning on driving, but if travel restrictions reach a certain point my friend may face a lot of difficulties out on the road. He could be pulled over by police for doing "non-essential" travel, or he could not find a open hotel (he told me he would sleep in the car if he has to), or he could expose himself to the coronavirus throughout his travels. I'm worried about how the country will look towards the end of April, and he can't pick up the puppy any sooner than that.

But... if he doesn't go through with this then the puppy who was supposed to go to him will no longer have a home. He's been planning this for so long that it would be absolutely devastating to him to not be able to adopt it. He went through all the proper channels and may not even be able to get one simply due to bad timing? It's just not fair. :<

I'm not sure what I can say to him. I don't want him to risk himself, but I also can't stand the thought of the puppy that is supposed to go to him not finding a family. I believe it's already born, but it needs a few weeks before it can be adopted.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like you sort of know the answer, but want us to convince you that he should go ahead with a cross-country trip in the middle of a pandemic. Not going to do that, chief.

There are plenty of doggos out there he could probably get his hands on locally today if he's less picky about the breed. They need homes and love right now too. Everyone's plans are being set back and altered. Let's pray they aren't altered any further.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Realistically there's not much he can do. Also srsly can this breeder not just take care of the dog for now?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
There are dogs in his area, he can get one of those instead. It definitely sucks that he's been looking forward to this, but it's just not safe to travel right now.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why do you need to go to Maine for a puppy?

This sounds like someone willing to spend big. Otherwise you could just get a shelter pet from somewhere in your town and boom: new dog. Instantly.

Your friend is being picky.

Oct 28, 2017
One, tell him he already knows the answer to this. Two, he should stop prioritizing a high value puppy that will never see a day in a shelter over the health of everyone. Three, it will probably be illegal to get the dog.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
It's just not fair. :<

I haven't seen my son in two weeks because he's in isolation with his mother. A friend of mine had a child adoption put on indefinite hold. Another friend had a house purchase fall through.

We'll all have our own "it's not fair" stories by the time this thing is over. Let's hope they can remain as trivial as "not being able to buy a certain dog in the timeframe that I'd hoped for".

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs are not cats, where the worst case scenario is generally a closet cat that never interacts with people and hides under furniture all day long. "Just get a shelter dog" doesn't allow you to raise and train the dog, which is a big, big deal as you have a limited time window while it's in its hyper impressionable puppy state. My family had to put down a dog we adopted from the shelter after it grew possessive of my sibling and attacked a kid that was at our home on a playdate.

If things get worse w/ the CV, a massive unpleasant road trip or asking an airline for assistance might be the only two options out there unfortunately.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Realistically there's not much he can do. Also srsly can this breeder not just take care of the dog for now?
I don't know, but at some point it will become unadoptable since it will grow too attached to its current home. There's a specific timeframe where adopting a newborn puppy is ideal, and if it goes past that window he'll have no choice but to wait for the next opportunity.
A breeder? Is your friend planning on showing this dog at completions?
No, he's just picky, as several people in this thread have pointed out. But he definitely put forth the effort to get to this point.
I haven't seen my son in two weeks because he's in isolation with his mother. A friend of mine had a child adoption put on indefinite hold. Another friend had a house purchase fall through.

We'll all have our own "it's not fair" stories by the time this thing is over. Let's hope they can remain as trivial as "not being able to buy a certain dog in the timeframe that I'd hoped for".
I'm not here to compare life situations. Life in general just sucks right now.

I'm sorry you have to go through all of that. Really.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not happening.

No hotels are going to be open in New England in a month. Progressively every state throughout the NOrth East is moving to shelter-in-place.

I don't know, but at some point it will become unadoptable since it will grow too attached to its current home. There's a specific timeframe where adopting a newborn puppy is ideal, and if it goes past that window he'll have no choice but to wait for the next opportunity.

Eh, this is bull shit.

Dogs are super adaptable and adjust to their new surroundings quickly at almost any age with the right training. Otherwise, the rescue and adoption scene wouldn't exist or dog sitting would be impossible. It'll take nominally more time for a ~6mos old dog to adapt to a new house versus a puppy, and hell then your friend doens't have to go through the difficulty of house training and those early months. Hell, the first 2months with my dog were almost harder than the first 2months with an infant... Infants wear diapers and will calm down when they're held.

More time with the pack is usually a good thing, dogs separated really early tend to be more difficult. Now, obviously, training a puppy the rules of your house can be easier than a dog who has adjusted to a different house, but it usually isn't hard to break over time with persistence.

This sounds like the breeder who doesn't want to have to board ~8 puppies, feeding them, training them, keeping them, etc, spinning bull shit to force your friend to drive across country against lock down orders. Breeders have a habit of being assholes and salesmen.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have zero sympathy for someone getting a puppy from a breeder halfway across the country amidst a pandemic. Hundreds of amazing dogs at shelters nearby need homes. And what the heck is "unadoptable" after a few weeks/months? That's such a bunch of drivel. Your friend sounds lovely.

Oct 28, 2017
Dogs are not cats, where the worst case scenario is generally a closet cat that never interacts with people and hides under furniture all day long. "Just get a shelter dog" doesn't allow you to raise and train the dog, which is a big, big deal as you have a limited time window while it's in its hyper impressionable puppy state. My family had to put down a dog we adopted from the shelter after it grew possessive of my sibling and attacked a kid that was at our home on a playdate.

If things get worse w/ the CV, a massive unpleasant road trip or asking an airline for assistance might be the only two options out there unfortunately.

This is wildly untrue. Please don't spread this kind of misinformation. Shelter dogs can be trained quite well and breeder dogs can have issues even if you do everything right.I won't comment on whether the dog you put down could have been saved, but I can say that it's absolutely not the norm. Dogs are impressionable their entire lives.

You only need a breeder dog if you want to get it special training. Like a service dog.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Assuming that airlines are still flying, most breeders will fly their puppies to new owners. It would cost more, but putting a dog on a plane is not a complicated process.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I honestly have zero sympathy for someone getting a puppy from a breeder halfway across the country amidst a pandemic. Hundreds of amazing dogs at shelters nearby need homes. And what the heck is "unadoptable" after a few weeks/months? That's such a bunch of drivel. Your friend sounds lovely.
That is what I picked up from the breeder (I never really had direct contact with her though, this was all relayed from my friend); my friend never said anything of the sort.

Corgis in general are temperamental and very impressionable from an early age, from what I was told.
Assuming that airlines are still flying, most breeders will fly their puppies to new owners. It would cost more, but putting a dog on a plane is not a complicated process.
If flying is a possibility I may try to convince him to do it that way instead. He would severely cut his travel time and lessen his exposure to the virus as a result.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
That is what I picked up from the breeder (I never really had direct contact with her though, this was all relayed from my friend); my friend never said anything of the sort.

Corgis in general are temperamental and very impressionable from an early age, from what I was told.

Breeder probably just wants to get the puppy off her hands and not pay for more care. Not sure I'd like a breeder who has those priorities (rather than one who wants to make sure the puppy gets a good home and cares enough about the puppy to care for it if it can't be "offloaded" soon).

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty loving dogs in every municipality that want homes and will be put to sleep if they don't get one, so no, I can not recommend traveling all over the country to get a dog from a breeder (pandemic or no pandemic).

Every pet I've had in the past 15 years was a rescue and I've loved them dearly.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
First world problem of being inconvenienced in getting a designer dog. Fucking get down to the shelter and change a life.

Tell your friend he's selfish and petty.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A global pandemic getting in the way of your picky friend's non-essential trip is what's not fair? Perspective.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

Fuck you and fuck your lies.

Dog training is a thing and old dogs can learn new tricks. Fuck this thread is triggering me.

My family used to breed dogs and this thread is all sorts of triggering me.

Shelter dogs and training dogs. If you can't handle that, then don't get a pet.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
A global pandemic getting in the way of your picky friend's non-essential trip is what's not fair? Perspective.
My concern mainly lies in the puppy that was originally designated to go to him no longer being able to find a home. Like, the reason this puppy even exists right now is because my friend was organizing this thing with the breeder.

So yes, I don't find that fair to the puppy at all. It's just sad...

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he can afford to buy a dog from a breeder, he can certainly afford to buy a plane ticket. I would at this point I imagine that flying might be cheaper than driving anyway.

What breed of dog is he getting?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Funny, most my life my mom would just adopt shelter dogs and her first puppy was when I was in college. Didn't have a bad dog. She even rescued a almost feral dog from the park (like it would not go near people, not even her when she first started feeding her at the park before she eventually took her home) near her and while it never got used to strangers the dog really liked her and was very well behaved. Even got used to me (who only visited once a year) in the first visit I was there cause I knew how to be not scary to a dog.

I had a cat from a breeder though that I got as a kitten that took three months to get her to let pet me. It took 16 years for her to fully trust my roommate/husband. Yes, a cat, but point is just getting an animal as a young animal doesn't gaurentee anything, same as getting an older pet. MY friendliest cats that actually aren't scared of strangers all were gotten as adult cats from the shelter.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
FYI I've known quite a few people with corgis.
Pet insurance is pretty much required. ALL of the corgis needed hip surgery at some point. Some twice. Some corgis can't get it through their head that they can't jump off couch height and not break their bones.

Oct 28, 2017

If flying is a possibility I may try to convince him to do it that way instead. He would severely cut his travel time and lessen his exposure to the virus as a result.

Flying is not an option. Your friend is not getting the dog. It's literally the only option. Break it to him harshly. Rip the bandaid off.

Also the breeder is lying. They are biased. Don't believe a word they say. Successful breeders don't give a shit about those puppies.

My concern mainly lies in the puppy that was originally designated to go to him no longer being able to find a home. Like, the reason this puppy even exists right now is because my friend was organizing this thing with the breeder.

So yes, I don't find that fair to the puppy at all. It's just sad...

You think a breeder doesn't have contingency plans for that? It's an expensive dog. Breeder will not be giving it away to a shelter. And if they did, it would be adopted immediately.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
To add to that, we got a dog from a breeder because we needed a certain type of working dog and we still had to re-home it because of behavior issues (chewing up everything, didn't get along with our other animals, and didn't act as a good watch dog) while I've had many shelter dogs that have worked out just fine.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What you need to do is take your friend, have a nice sort down, warm warm milk and cocoa, then calmly look him in the eye and say:

"Are you a moron? Are you dense? Are trying to get stuck in another state, you idiot?"

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Flying is not an option. Your friend is not getting the dog. It's literally the only option. Break it to him harshly. Rip the bandaid off.

Also the breeder is lying. They are biased. Don't believe a word they say. Successful breeders don't give a shit about those puppies.

You think a breeder doesn't have contingency plans for that? It's an expensive dog. Breeder will not be giving it away to a shelter. And if they did, it would be adopted immediately.
Look, all the information I've provided in this thread is second-hand. I don't know anything about the dog breeding process and I may have gotten some things mixed up. After all, it won't be my dog, so I didn't really internalize all the info that was given to me.

It's just that, well, everything about this situation sucks. I honestly have no idea what is going through my friend's mind right now, but he must be feeling very conflicted.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you fly you can probably get the whole thing done in a day. Fly down, pick up dog, fly back. If you drive you would have to spend at least 2-3 nights in hotels or AirBnBs......and have the hassle of trying to find places that allow animals to stay with you.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
People have breed preferences. My next dog will be a beagle like the last one.

Not everyone wants the pitbulls/pit-mixes that are flooding shelters.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Flying could be an option, actually. It would definitely be more expensive, but animals can fly without someone flying with them. I know every now and then you'll hear stories about dogs being rescued from the meat trade in Korea that are flown to the US to be adopted. Someone drops them off at Incheon and they're picked up by someone else state-side. If the breeder is willing to drop it off at the airport so that the friend can pick it up, that's probably safer than a cross country trip.

Not everyone wants the pitbulls/pit-mixes that are flooding shelters.

So get one of the other numerous dogs that aren't a pitbull/pit-mix. It's not rocket science.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
just picked up a corgi puppy 2 weeks ago. only a 3 hour drive and things werent quite as bad then, though we expedited it doing with everything going to shit. Also fuck everyone shaming his friend for wanting a specific dog. their is room for both adopting and buying from breeders. most of my dogs growing up were all adopted and they were great as well. That being said I dont think a cross country trip is the best idea at the moment. It might be worth looking into having the puppy flown closer to your friend, or your friend flown out.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Probably not getting that puppy, especially considering the amount of people not taking this situation seriously enough.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
"Just get a shelter dog" doesn't allow you to raise and train the dog, which is a big, big deal as you have a limited time window while it's in its hyper impressionable puppy state.

giphy.gif

I adopted my current dog from a shelter at 8 weeks old and she definitely was not even close to being the only puppy that young there (there was even a few as young as 6 weeks old that legally they couldn't send home for another 2 weeks). I can promise you, shelter dogs can be trained just fine (if they're older, they may even already be trained!).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I adopted my current dog from a shelter at 8 weeks old and she definitely was not even close to being the only puppy that young there. I can promise you, shelter dogs can be trained just fine (if they're older, they may even already be trained!).
And the one my family got bit a kid after just a few months and the dog was put down.

What I was going for was not "don't adopt shelter dogs" it was "don't shit on people for going to responsible breeders."

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where in Florida is the puppy coming from? I would probably see if there are direct flights from Jacksonville/Orlando/Miami to a convenient location in New England (Boston, I guess?). I know JetBlue has a lot of direct flights from Florida to Boston.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
And the one my family got bit a kid after just a few months and the dog was put down.

What I was going for was not "don't adopt shelter dogs" it was "don't shit on people for going to responsible breeders."

And the one time time my family went to a breeder for a dog, the dog bit my sister multiple times, so we ended up returning it. We've never had any issue with shelter dogs though. Responsible breeders are irrelevant to a very young puppy's behavior.