• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
He's wrong but it's great and my GOTY. If you've recently played a big, checklist, open world game I'd wait but otherwise grab it.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
This game surprised me. Im not a huge fan of Assassin's Creed and that's kind of the vibe I was getting from the previews. After playing it myself though I'm having a hard time putting it down. The story is interesting, the graphics and art are fucking beautiful, and the combat is fun and engaging. There is lots of customization and it really feels like you can approach combat however you want. I'm kinda hooked on this game right now. This game is really good. Buy it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's an incredibly fun game with a tonne of content, really satisfying and enjoyable combat and a genuinely breathtaking world, however it still has some typical open world hang ups (a good amount of repetition, filler etc) which keeps it from being a masterpiece. That doesn't detract from the game still being incredibly enjoyable overall.

Personally I've been completely addicted to it. It has that, "oh just one more mission, side quest, extra" type flow to it, where you wanted to play just an hour's worth, but ended up playing four lol. In that sense, if you don't mind open world games, there's a lot to sink your teeth into with this game, and high value in terms of overall content.

Also, if you're in to Japanese Samurai themes and genres, it is an absolute no brainer. I genuinely don't think any other game has explored Samurai themes and badassery, and made you feel like a kickass Samurai as well or as convincingly as this game. The last game I can think of to even get close was Onimusha, and that was a long time ago.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
should I check it out? This is a rare highly recommended game from a trusted source.

If by trusted you mean "I like all the same games he likes", then probably?

I've stayed away at full price as the reviewer I trust the most gave it 7/10, so I'll try it when it's a bit cheaper:

metro.co.uk

Ghost Of Tsushima review - samurai creed

What will probably be the last ever big budget PS4 exclusive is an open world adventure in the world of medieval Japan.

But I trust them because for years their tastes have matched mine - when I go against their recommendation I tend to regret it. Maybe you can ask him to lend you the game when he finishes so you can try it (unless he bought it digitally)?

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Your friend is not wrong, lots of people are having fun with the game including myself. Games listed in this thread as a contender are a snooze fest to me.
I went blindly into the game, knowing very little except samurai is the theme. Now going into the game with high expectation might make you overlook some of it flaws or focus on finding them.

Useyourfist

Oct 13, 2019
I would highly recommend it. Usually I just stick to main missions in open world games due to fatigue of the genre. However currently I've been doing pretty much everything. As has been mentioned it can be a bit repetitive (side content) but the combat is great as is the setting which keeps me going back for more and experimenting with different skills etc.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So OP, you should probably trust your friend irregardless of what some strangers say on the internet
Maybe they did and just prefer it? Could be the setting or gameplay differences.

Oh for sure, subjective taste is subjective.
But honestly, even though Ghost is a fantastic game, the other games I mentioned are cultural milestones for me.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
It's great, think Ubisoft style open world game but with actually good gameplay. As long as you don't hate open world games you'll probably like it

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
I'm waiting on a sale on this - and also waiting for PS5 I think as I only have a launch day PS4 which sounds like an angry hoover on anything demanding now. But I've gone from probably won't play this to definitely will at some point quite quickly over the last few weeks - just keep hearing good things.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I've put 8 hours in over two weeks. I like it every time I play but it hasn't really grabbed me yet.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
it is generic ubi open world with arkham combat. it has amazing art but uninteresting story.

dont get me wrong, i like a good checkbox game once every two years or so, but we've been getting truckloads of these last 2 gens, and this is nothing special beyond its art design.

it will barely make my top 10 this year, assuming we dont get a sleeper indie or two.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The game doesnt do anything particularly new for the open world genre but just seems to be so damn incredibly satisfying?

the combat
the side missions
the main plot
the gorgeous game world
the horse (shout out to Kage, you're a good horse)

there is lots to love.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
It's not TloU2 masterpiece tier, but definitely a very enjoyable, fun and beautiful game.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Great game. Solid 8/10 for me. Definitely worth trying. But personally it's far from the best game I've played in the past 3 years. Although I may be a bit biased. lol.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't currently suffer from open world fatigue, it's indeed a very good game.

The story is okayish.
The gameplay loop is pretty generic.
The graphics and the setting are fantastic.

Personally, i enjoyed my time with it, platinumed it even. But i listened to a lot of podcasts while doing the mostly non-engaging side activities.

Oct 27, 2017
it is generic ubi open world with arkham combat. it has amazing art but uninteresting story.

dont get me wrong, i like a good checkbox game once every two years or so, but we've been getting truckloads of these last 2 gens, and this is nothing special beyond its art design.

it will barely make my top 10 this year, assuming we dont get a sleeper indie or two.
Did we play the same game? How is this an Arkham style combat ?

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Its a good game. I'm not as taken as much as others (quite happy playing one mission at a time and trotting to my next destination and don't really feel the need to play more), but its defiantly worth playing for the combat and setting alone.

I don't think it brings anything new to the table, (well you could argue combat), but I can see why people love it and I can see why people would feel the way your friend does, sometimes a game can grab your attention like that. Its a solid open world game that as a lot going for it.

Worth a play for sure.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
At the moment it's my 2nd favourite game of the year but it's a long way behind TLOU2 and just ahead of Ori 2.

It's my favourite Assassin's Creed game since they gave up on the Sci-Fi part of the story.

I feel the main story falls a little flat (up to the 2nd Act so far) but there's a few interesting side-quest-lines.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game but it feels clunky and little annoying to control in certain combat scenarios. Most side-stories are repetitive in terms of gameplay design but I like the dialogue so far. Lots of minor bugs, but nothing game-breaking so far (at least for me). The size of game world isn't too big which is a big plus.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
should I check it out? This is a rare highly recommended game from a trusted source.

I'm only 4-5 hours into it, but really liking it so far. Based on what I've seen so far I think some of the superlatives about the game and it's visuals are a little... overboard... but it's a really solid open world game.

If you like the AC games, you'll like it. If you like combat with lots of stance changing and tight timing, you'll like it. If you like the feudal Japan milieu, you'll like it. If you like methodically clearing stuff off an open world map, you'll like it.

The game has a lovely meditative atmosphere to it sometimes that I appreciate, and is rare in games.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I adore it. It's a lot of fun...

But, I haven't played Ass Creed since Black Flag or an open world game since Death Stranding.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Would be my GOTY so far if The Last of Us Part II came out in another year.

I got it ahead of Streets of Rage 4 and way ahead of Final Fantasy VII Remake, out of games I've completed.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
He's wrong but it's great and my GOTY. If you've recently played a big, checklist, open world game I'd wait but otherwise grab it.
even if you're burned out by checklist games, I still recommend it. one thing GoT has is trying to minimize the pain of checklist games because they try to make everything as fast and intuitive as possible. want to do something, either a sidequest or gather collectibles, just open the map and go to nearest fast travel, which there are many, and it load really fast, so it only take short time to get to the actions, and the action it self felt great.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
It's my favorite game since Astro Bot came out in October 2018, so it's "only" my favorite game of the past 2 years. Go for it. And tell your friend to play Astro Bot.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game has plenty of issues, but it is so good to me based on 2 things. I adore the setting, and the game prioritizes making scenes look good over realism.

The foliage and sunset lighting are all over the top and look fantastic.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
it is genuinely one of my favourite games of the last few years, so yes, i'd agree.

It's just fun, people were kinda bashing it for being able to pick up while on horseback and stuff but the QoL features in the game mean you're very rarely frustrated or rushing through to get to something. I am loving it.

Oct 25, 2017
it is genuinely one of my favourite games of the last few years, so yes, i'd agree.

It's just fun, people were kinda bashing it for being able to pick up while on horseback and stuff but the QoL features in the game mean you're very rarely frustrated or rushing through to get to something. I am loving it.
Yes. picking stuff up in this game is just a lot less annoying than other games.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Its a really great game.

One of the best open world games I have ever played and probably the game with the most interesting world to explore.

It's a good game but kind of another mainstream open world game that lacks innovation. Not comparable to open world gems like RDR II and BotW.

You should definitely give it a shot though. I finished Ghost last week and besides the super lame open world activities and some trash side missions, it didn't bore me at all. The main story is good and so is the gameplay. The artstyle is fantastic.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Its not the best of the best... but def one of the best in recent years... its just fun exploring the world of Tsushima as a samurai.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
I've enjoyed it more than any other game this year including TLOU2 but I am a big Sucker Punch fan.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really good, in my opinion one of the most enjoyable open world games this generation, largely elevated by excellent combat and a gorgeous compelling environment. I'm about 25 hours in and have stopped playing for a bit as I've burnt myself out with too many side activities, but I feel like most of the writing in the stories is pretty solid and the support characters are mostly great.

If you have interest in the setting, like the look of the gameplay and trust your friend's opinion then I'd say give it a go.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Arkham style combat. Lol.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Yes OP, the best Sony Open world and the second best this gen after The Witcher 3. The best open world combat system along with Dragons Dogma.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
Its really good also kinda generic very similar to other open world titles yet I'd say a cut above in most regard world story characters gameplay. Nearing the end leaning towards an 8 my feelings shift between being entranced to moderately enjoying it just felt like something was missing and open world fatigue didn't help but if you aren't tired of the genre yet pick it up if for nothing else the beautiful world and some great character moments.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm still on the fence about it slightly, but I've decided I'll wait regardless and play it on PS5.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Well, it has the best set of characters and story since Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2, your friend ain't wrong that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.