• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does your front/back door need to be locked/unlocked using a key from the inside?

• Yes

Votes: 542 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 876 61.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Tbh I'm English and our front door doesn't lock from the inside. It just has a latch that locks when door is closed.

Recently we had a second lock put in the door for extra security, but in general most houses I'm familiar with in the UK have a latch lock thst locks automatically when the door is closed without needing to be locked.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
The vast majority of people with interior key locks have stated they just leave the key in plain sight next the door or literally in the lock. I don't see how this is any more secure.

That's on them. When I used to have flatmates I would crap on them for leaving keys out over night for that very reason.

If they came in through the window then the key doesn't matter

It does! They may have been able to enter through the window but can they carry your TV out through the window? What if they sent a small guy through who can now open the door for the rest of the gang to enter?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But if someone manages to enter your home via another means (e.g. a window) they now have full access as they can open all your doors from the inside. They can now completely clear you out. If they needed a key that doesn't happen. I've lived in houses with either or both to be honest and they have their pros and cons.
but all the brits here are saying they always leave their key in the hole or next to their door anyway, so that completely invalidates the point...

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think it's funny as hell that those of you who have to lock or unlock your doors from the inside with a key can't see how that is a VERY poor system when compared to one where the door is already locked for anyone outside who doesn't have a key, but can be opened from the inside without one. The latter is clearly better and safer yet here we are with people saying "yeah you know, just look for a key in a fire or go through a window."

Are you out of your fucking mind?
That's not how my door works (Spain). If you close the door it can't be opened from outside but it can still be opened from the inside without a key. But you can also lock it using a key from the inside for more security.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
45% of resetera's visitors are from the US, 12% from the UK etc. so I don't think we Europeans or folks from other countries with the same door mechanics can win any argument here.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Twitch needs to do a better job at protecting its users from attacks like this including GIVING STREAMERS ACCESS TO A LIST OF ALL REGISTERED USERS AND IP ADDRESSES WHO VIEW EACH STREAM.Twitch already collects this information and users/law enforcement shouldn't have to jump through hoops to retrieve it.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, people think it is strange to use a key to unlock the door from inside?

What?

I'm not even from Europe and we have the same thing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It does! They may have been able to enter through the window but can they carry your TV out through the window? What if they sent a small guy through who can now open the door for the rest of the gang to enter?
Then they will with the key you left in/near the door

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our doors kinda lock by pushing the handle up from the inside. But if you wanna make it more secure then you lock it. I always lock mine before going to bed. If there's ever a fire and I couldn't find my keys I'd smash a window.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
but all the brits here are saying they always leave their key in the hole or next to their door anyway, so that completely invalidates the point...
And if they don't keep it next to the door and an emergency like a fire happens...
UK system is dumb as hell, and they need to get with the times.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Was just traveling between Paris, London, and amsterdam and can confirm this is a real thing. Also super fucking inconvenient if you only have one key. I'd step out for something and my wife would have to not fall asleep to let me back or just not lock the door while I was gone

Oct 25, 2017
Really, people think it is strange to use a key to unlock the door from inside?

What?

I'm not even from Europe and we have the same thing.

Yeah, its called a deadbolt.....

There is a key on the outside to let yourself INTO the house.

Why the shit is there a key to GET OUT.

Fire in the house?

"Ohh shit, let me look for my stupid key to be able to leave"

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
If fire was spreading you absolutely want to get out and not frantically try to remember where you placed your keys.
"Oh no the house is on fire, I wonder where I put the keys! Perhaps they're... where I always put them?"

We don't leave them in random places each time we lock up you know!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've lived in houses like this, you would have to save the keys near the door or in the lock.

My house has a lock like this, but I generally just use the night latch unless we are locking up for extra security when we go away

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
When I clicked on the topic I was super confused by the poll. Then I read the post and it all made sense. I had no idea the doors were like this outside of America.

Also, I hope whoever called the cops gets in trouble.

Jun 12, 2018
"Oh no the house is on fire, I wonder where I put the keys! Perhaps they're... where I always put them?"

I get that, but OP says his friend had to go to a completely different area of his house just to open his door. That just seems kind of inefficient lol.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how my door works (Spain). If you close the door it can't be opened from outside but it can still be opened from the inside without a key. But you can also lock it using a key from the inside for more security.
Okay and that's how US doors are. My contention is with always needing a key to either lock or unlock it on the inside

It may have been a system you're used to for your entire life but that doesn't mean it's not considerably outdated, dangerous and stupid, especially when you consider the alternative of a door that does the EXACT SAME THING as you describe but without a key being needed to let yourself out.

If you can't see why the former - or the way you currently lock your doors on the inside - is worse than what we have all described, then that's unfortunate

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My front door doesn't need a key to lock from the inside but my back door does. I win.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just leave the keys in the front and back door ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But yeah sounds like someone IRL rather than a typical swatting.

Oct 27, 2017
Terrifying. I've had people joke about doing this before, saying they could DDOS me and my friends, one time even tried to track our IP addresses, jokes about doxxing us and such but chose not to because we were so nice apparently. The idea of swatting someone is just so utterly insane to me, especially when you're just having fun enjoying a video game and you could wind up seriously injured or potentially dead.

People are fucked up sometimes.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I'm no locksmith and I have never considered why we use a key to lock from the inside but if US TV and movies are at all realistic when it comes to doors I do know that my UK door is a lot more secure than the average US door. You couldn't reasonably boot it open. I've also never been inside my house and not known where the keys are so dying in a fire is not a major concern for me. The rest of you must be just walking in your house and throwing your keys in a random direction.

As for the subject of the thread just be grateful that in the UK the armed police are well trained and aren't going to shoot first and ask questions later in a situation like this. It's scary but at least your friend was never really in any danger.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
OP's friend shouldn't feel embarrassed, military and police are going to go what they got to do. Defensively, it's just a door you get into.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that the thread was derailed, but I admit the door and lock talk is fascinating to me as well. I talk regularly to several people in the UK, I've traveled a lot, including to Europe, and somehow I've never encountered this except in some British horror movies come to think of it, but I don't think I realized what exactly was going on when I saw those films until now.

I don't know, it just sounds useless to me? The doors I've always used lock automatically when you close them and you just need to turn the knob from the inside, and then may have an additional lock like a bolt or something if you want to lock it additionally from the inside, but nothing like a key locking the door from the inside. That just seems like it'd be an inconvenience, it's not a big deal but like an extra step that I don't really understand why it's even there. That'd also mean if you had guests you'd have to go and unlock the door for them if they wanted to leave? Someone mentioned it was to stop someone trying to break in from breaking the windows in the front door to access inside your place, but what's stopping them from breaking into a normal window then? I just don't really get the use of this?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We've done this before, but depending on your digital presence and footprint. It's actually quite easy to figure out who people are. We did it as a "proof/game" in a thread back on Neogaf after people were prompting others to see (Via PM)/(Talking about digital footprints). I bet if you're relatively competent with google given my footprint, username etc. You could find out who I am, and then my address pretty easily.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have 2 locks on my door. One of them uses a key from both sides but I only lock that one if I'm away from home.

Oct 31, 2017
Go ask Australians, Mexicans, Canadians, and Italians how their doors lock.
Let's throw in Japanese and Chinese and the majority of South East Asia while we are at it because I live in Japan and have been to the others and it's nothing like the UK. Gotta love them saying it's all Americans in their "bubble" when they're the ones on a tiny ass island with a couple neighbors doing the same thing and flabbergasted that a majority of the world's population doesn't do the same as them.

THAT SAID... my house growing up had some of these locks that required a key from both sides, namely the bathroom. But our house was ancient and as a previous poster said they definitely have older structures in the UK so I can see it still being common.

EDIT: I'd really like to know how the Middle-East and the many countries of Africa do this too, if anyone is from those two world regions and can chime in, I gotta know.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
All those conceited Americans with their fire safe door locks. But then there's a fire and you panic and you forget that you need to turn the knob into the wrong direction, in a closing motion to open it. Durr, crispy American.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keeps saying the 2 key thing is more secure, yet everyone keeps saying they just leave their key in the door anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Not only Americans.
That system is extremely dangerous. How is that even allowed?
So you don't have your key at hand and the house is burning. How do you get out?

This is the first time hearing about it and I'm honestly shocked.

?

No no, you don't understand, in a life or death situation, you will be calm and rational, and the quickest way out of your house is by finding and unlocking your door with a key, which will conveniently be floating in front of your face.