• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does your front/back door need to be locked/unlocked using a key from the inside?

• Yes

Votes: 542 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 876 61.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Not only Americans.
That system is extremely dangerous. How is that even allowed?
So you don't have your key at hand and the house is burning. How do you get out?

This is the first time hearing about it and I'm honestly shocked.
See even in Germany it's like that, because EVERYONE leaves their keys usually on a small shelf near the door. Often times you have multiple keys and don't throw them around your house like a frisbee. You walk in and leave the key right on the shelf. If you can't find the key, which you used not too long ago to enter your own house then others would probably think you're demented. I'm not saying it's not possible but it's extremely rare and it personally only happened once to me which took me 2 minutes to find my keys. I think it's incredibly unlikely to have your home burning down and losing your key inside on the same day, to the point where it's more likely to trip over your shoe laces and break your neck. That's the real danger no one talks about.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
That's the same thing though. If you lock the door with a key from the inside, don't you think a key would be necessary to unlock that door?

So OP's friend just locked the door from the inside with a key while being at home and because of that he couldn't open the door without unlocking with a key!?
That's a little different and exactly as our doors here work. Buy you still can open a door from the inside without a key, while you can't open the door from the outside without a key.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
How unaware do you have to be to not realize that old timey key picture was a joke.

Actually, I'm not joking. Here are my keys:

0zOc3HA.jpg

Though it sounds like maybe the one on the left is actually a fire brigade key. Not really sure what kind of protection my deadbolt is giving me if it's just a generic key...

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most hilariously derailed thread I've ever seen lmao. Americans living in their bubble and being in awe about how the world functions will always be funny.

In regards to the OP, it's really unfortunate how easy it is to access our personal information so pricks can pull shit like these.
Making this about "Americans vs. the world" is not accurate. This thread is more like "UK vs the world"

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most hilariously derailed thread I've ever seen lmao. Americans living in their bubble and being in awe about how the world functions will always be funny.

In regards to the OP, it's really unfortunate how easy it is to access our personal information so pricks can pull shit like these.
The world functions?? Oh no no. The world is laughing at your doors.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like it's actually against building codes in some parts of the US to have doors that require a key to unlock from the inside.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's been explained multiple times but American (and apparently Australian) locks are keyless on the interior. They only require a key to operate from the exterior, but inside the house you can lock and unlock with the flip of a latch.

You get knob locks:

61Ulvvn5x4L._SX425_.jpg

and/or deadbolts:

F3GRR4OIFI358WU.LARGE.jpg

I lived in the UK for 13 years, on college dorms, share houses, flats, some being pretty old, some being refurbished and some being fairly new, and there were always these types of locks both for front doors in normal houses or flats houses. I never saw this system of needing to unlock the door with a key inside unless it was like a second or third lock, on top of the main lock, but those were rarely used.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

I'm seeing confusion both ways. People asking Americans how they lock the door. No need to single one group out.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing I learned from this thread is that the UK needs to catch up with the US in terms of doors. Needing a key to lock/unlock from the inside? That shit is dumb as hell haha

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Because it's blocked by the ring of fire

I'm now imagining a diabolical thief squirting oil in a line between the key stand by the door, and the rest of the hallway, and then lighting it, blocking the victim's escape.

"hehe, you're trapped now, ya hear? Now I'm gonna leave by this here door, and there ain't nothing you can do about it, see?"
"Damnit...curse my British home! I can see my keys beyond the line of fire, just out of reach!"
"hehe, it was your door that did it. Lock on both sides, see? Shoulda had an American door. Always buy American!"

*The thief flees the house*

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
On the sliding scale of absurdity, this UK door nonsense definitely cements bagged milk as "not actually absurd."

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I lived in the UK for 13 years, on college dorms, share houses, flats, some being pretty old, some being refurbished and some being fairly new, and there were always these types of locks both for front doors in normal houses or flats houses. I never saw this system of needing to unlock the door with a key inside unless it was like a second or third lock, on top of the main lock, but those were rarely used.
The person I was replying to was apparently so confused by Americans not requiring the insertion of a key to leave their house that they thought the country as a whole had front doors incapable of locking. Thanks for the input, but it stands in stark contrast with basically the thing that started this whole mess.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
This doesn't sound like a normal UK police response. Police aren't armed like this like in the U.S.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017

Every person's house I've been in the UK has a locking system from inside.
I'm from Jersey so it's basically the same.

I've never been to a place where you need a key from the inside in my life, it does seem a bit odd but like people have said those that do have it nearby permanently, rather than in a place that might get lost, forgotten etc.

This doesn't sound like a normal UK police response. Police aren't armed like this like in the U.S.

Yes they are, when they're required to be.

Oct 26, 2017
Uk here, and yep. Both doors need to be locked/unlocked from inside. Also the handle has to be pulled up. Took a while to teach my last lodger.

I'm in the US. The only time I have ever seen a door that needed the key to be locked inside was at my uncles old ass 150 year old house.

All the houses in my neighbourhood are 300 years old or more. Eternal damp.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
So just to summarize...

Why do you need a key to unlock your door from the inside?

"Because we have windows on our doors."

That seems like a poor design decision, just like needing a key to unlock your door from the inside. What if you misplace your keys?

"Most people leave their keys in or around the door."

Ok, so what about the windows on the door?

"Most doors don't have windows here!"

Ok... so what makes the door more secure when it requires a key to open it from the inside?

"Stupid americans don't understand! Always trying to belittle us!"

Okay. I guess I'll just take your advice and jump out of my second story window in case of a fire. It's not that hard.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What do you all mean by locked? Here in germany you can usally open the door from the inside without a key, but you can lock it from the inside with a key, which nobody i know does. And If you lock your door, you just let the key hanging.
Same thing in Spain. I'm actually shocked this is seen as something weird outside of Europe.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
having to use the key on the inside and leaving the key there as a result, and not needing the use the key on the inside are functionally identical situations so the simpler solution that doesn't involve needing multiple backup keys sounds better to me

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Also, you don't need a different key to lock the door from the inside. It's the same key as you lock the door outside.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
First time I am hearing about this lock system. It's been a while since I visited Belgium or France, so I forgot how their locks worked.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So just to summarize...

That seems like a poor design decision, just like needing a key to unlock your door from the inside. What if you misplace your keys?

Ok... so what makes the door more secure when it requires a key to open it from the inside?

Okay. I guess I'll just take your advice and jump out of my second story window in case of a fire. It's not that hard.
Some doors do have windows near the lock, so it makes sense. Just because they say most doors don't, doesn't negate those that do.

I am American and grew up in a house were there was a key lock in a door with windows. The key was placed nearby and easily accessible to those inside. Not once did it wander off.

Also, smashing a window pane and unlocking a door is a whole different ballgame than smashing a window and climbing through. (this isn't pointed at you Loss)

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that has anything to do with me denying it was "UK vs the world".

Has more to do with your insinuating that it is the US vs. the world. Sorry but you are well well within the minority on this one. The rest of the world updated their fire and building codes back in the 1800s.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
So just to summarize...

You lock your door from the inside and then leave it on a hook/small table nearby so it's there when you need it. It's not hard to understand.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Actually, I'm not joking. Here are my keys:

0zOc3HA.jpg

Though it sounds like maybe the one on the left is actually a fire brigade key. Not really sure what kind of protection my deadbolt is giving me if it's just a generic key...

The initial pic you posted was a Fire Brigade key.

You have communal front door which requires fob entry. And then the other key for your personal front door, so you're fine.

I work in housing and you have exactly one of the fobs used at a property I manage, haha. Hope you don't live in Edgware!

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe what this thread has turned into, from swatting to a discussion about doorlocks and keys. x.x

I grew up with the standard UK door lock where you need a key to lock it from the inside. never had an issue.

In my flat now, you don't need a key to lock it from the inside but I still have my key near the door anyway (so I can grab it when I go out) so even if we needed a key to lock it from the inside, it wouldn't cause me any issue.

People acting like this is some big deal is laughable to me tbh. Even more so that somehow this thread about a very serious issue was derailed so very quickly on page 1.