• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does your front/back door need to be locked/unlocked using a key from the inside?

• Yes

Votes: 542 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 876 61.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The OP, Pankratous, last posted in this thread around 18 minutes ago. I'm kinda worried, someone should go check they didn't lose their key and locked themselves in their own home.

I'm serious, this isn't funny.

Dec 14, 2017
Op had to know this would become a stealth door lock thread... Either way, highly amused by the lock discourse, but not at all amused at what happened to your friend op. Glad the police were polite.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
The way some people are talking, you'd think having a doorknob itself would be a fire hazard. You know whats a fire hazard? US plugs. Fuck those little guys.

On topic: Yeah you'd be amazed how easily you'd leave behind a digital footprint leading to an address. Scary as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Doors in the US don't need a key to lock from the inside. They have latches that you turn to lock it. You only lock the outside with a key. What is the point in needing a key for the inside instead of a latch for the lock? If I steal your house key, I can lock you inside of your own home

We do in the US, lol. You may not but we do.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not it was literally the first google picture I could find. That looks like the fine work of one of our leading house builders almost all of whom are a bunch of cowboy cunts who do stuff like not putting a fucking step to the door.
Okay, 2nd thought: a thief could probably get through the opening of a window that large

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
American in the UK, and what's even crazier than needing a key, is that this is the type of key you use:

l_84007.jpg
My house keys look nothing like that!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Americans don't lock their doors at night? Obviously doors in the UK have latches too so they can't be opened from outside without a key but can be opened from inside without one, but those doors usually come with a second lock on them that can be locked from the inside or outside - you usually just lock the door at night from the inside for safety and leave the keys near the door so it's easy to get out.
It's been explained multiple times but American (and apparently Australian) locks are keyless on the interior. They only require a key to operate from the exterior, but inside the house you can lock and unlock with the flip of a latch.

You get knob locks:

61Ulvvn5x4L._SX425_.jpg

and/or deadbolts:

F3GRR4OIFI358WU.LARGE.jpg

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What happens if theres a fire, and the door knob gets hot?

oh my god ill be burnt alive, if only I had a nice key to unlock my door

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'd like to clarify to some people in this thread: UK houses also feature things called 'windows', that inhabitants can freely climb out of in the rare occurrence that they lose their door key. (never heard of anyone losing their door key while in their own home in all my life to be honest)

Why does every thread on Era descend into madness?
I'm imagining a British person having to climb out a window to escape their own house, it's quite funny. Also wouldn't work in any kind of multi story apartment.

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Was he actually swatted or was it just a coincidence? I can't imagine someone going out of their way if he's not overly well known or streaming.

Well, they had been called to his specific address. House number and all. Unless the person on the call literally made a mistake and there is someone out there who's shot someone.

Are you sure the neighbors didn't just hear a bunch of gunshots coming from his tv/computer?

I asked him and confirmed that he did have his headset on the entire time.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today we discuss the grim reality of dying in a fire in your own home while thieves break in through the windows to steal what they can

Nov 23, 2017
No, because most doors don't have windows on the door like that, and if they did....Guess what? People would keep them in a place near the door, but not within reach from the outside.

Americans not understanding the simplest of things that another country does, yet again
Despite literally most of the people in here taking about it not being American of course you gotta get a dig in while also acting victimized. Classic.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Well, they had been called to his specific address. House number and all. Unless the person on the call literally made a mistake and there is someone out there who's shot someone.

I asked him and confirmed that he did have his headset on the entire time.

Did he share his real name with people on psn?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Presumably because they are not pixies and thus cannot fit through a 6 inch wide glass panel space edit - mis read and thought you were talking about the door lol
You don't have other windows? Is this a house for ants or a prison?
I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying. You made my day.

Thankfully swatting doesn't do any harm in Europe as police are trained really well and they don't have to expect the population to be armed in 99% of all cases. (I made that number up)

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
This thread has been derailed by Americans that are confused by door locks.

Not only Americans.
That system is extremely dangerous. How is that even allowed?
So you don't have your key at hand and the house is burning. How do you get out?

This is the first time hearing about it and I'm honestly shocked.

On the topic the most likely scenario is probably a neighbor hearing game sound and assuming a shooting incident happend!?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I think the reason so many people in the US (and me, in Canada) is that dual key deadbolts are prohibited by building codes here as you must be able to exit from a building without the use of special tools. The code might vary a little from city to city, so some places might allow them (or they might just be a remnant from decades back).

I'd agree that the safety trumps security, as if someone wants in your house there are plenty of ways inside, and if there is an emergency you might not have the time or foresight to plan your key's location.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The police swatted me once but they couldn't get in because I'd locked the door on the inside with a key.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry OP. Hope your friend is OK. Might have been a neighbour's prank rather than online swatting? Could they have heard gunshots from the game and assumed something happened and called... why am I discussing this, this thread is about doors and locks now apparently... 😅

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the US and hadn't seen one of these locks prior to moving into the house we live in now. Former owners were more security concerned. There is a narrow window by the door, and as others said, it prevents someone from breaking said window and gaining access to the lock from the inside. Prior to having kids we used to keep the key near the door. Now, with kids, we just leave a key in the inside lock. It's a balance of security and safety in case of an emergency coinciding with key misplacement. Which are you worried about more?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully swatting doesn't do any harm in Europe as police are trained really well and they don't have to expect the population to be armed in 99% of all cases. (I made that number up)
Basically the gist of it. Death by cop in the US is a thing because cops have to assume every random person on the street is potentially carrying a gun.

Apr 24, 2018
I'm Canadian also so this isn't a "Americans are stupid" thing. Of course we have deadbolts. To keep us safe. Without a key needed from the inside. Crazy concept I know.