• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
o-RETHINK-YOUR-DRINK-BOY-570.jpg

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
I switched from full sugar soda to diet almost a decade ago, and right now i drink probably 2-3 a day. I was never overweight but just didn't like how sluggish i felt all the time drinking regular soda, and how it messed up my energy. I haven't gained weight or had any insulin issues. For those that think diet soda tastes awful, try Diet Sunkist, trust me. It's the closest to regular soda tasting diet soda in my opinion, and i used to drink diet Pepsi, Coke Zero, diet Dr. Pepper, etc.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
soda -> diet soda -> bubbly water -> water

That's how I stepped down anyway. Now I probably drink 90% water (Britta+thermos ftw) and 10% whatever the hell looks good.

Baby steps.

Jun 10, 2018
I can only speak for myself but I find sparkling water to be a great substitute for soda. You only have to be wary of the flavored ones since they can sometimes have hidden sugars in them thanks to savvy ingredient listing (i.e. caramel color, dextrose, and maltodextrin to name a few).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diet soda messes with your body's "ok I'm done eating" mechanism and can cause you to eat more. Tell your friend to drink water.

Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, switching to Diet definitely helped in the calories department but I also felt like it made me a LOT more hungry, especially for bad stuff.
That's because our bodies interpret a reduction of calories in our diet (when not triggering leptin) as a state of starvation, rather than being full. Calories are important yes, but how and in what ways our intake affect our hormones matter just as much, if not slightly more.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Avoid soda. That includes diet, it's garbage.

Drink carbonated water that's flavored if you need your fix. Even that and a single sugar packet is healthier than that poison. I promise you he'll feel better.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I lost 165 pounds while drinking a shit ton of Diet Coke. Stop being ridiculous. He's probably going from actual sugary sodas, juices, etc. to Diet Soda. It's an okay tradeoff, Jesus Christ.

Congrats bro! 100 pounds for me and I think Diet Coke and Coke Zero kept my sanity sometimes. When you've been eating terribly and transition to healthy foods or just plain less quantity, you sometimes need something sweet and full of flavor.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
only negative effect diet soda can have on weight is it can muck with your stomach flora and digestive process. like you can have 10% body fat but 3+ cans of diet coke after a meal can leave you pretty bloated, especially if said meal is loaded with sodium

but most negativity around diet soda is BS especially if you can jive with it as a substitute. personally i can't believe how many people i know lost shit tons of weight by simply cutting out 'normal' soda without diet or exercise, the tradeoff with diet soda is nbd
So true, I think the average person should really pay a attention to how many calories they consume just with soda alone, I used to drink three or four mountain dews a day. By switching to Arizona green tea then after a couple months to bottled water I'm down thirty pounds.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Your friends weight loss is not going to be hampered at all by drinking diet sodas. The only thing it does is spike your insulin levels (which of course is also not good) but if he's drinking 6 cans a day that's far too much.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Take good care of your teeth and diet soda is fine.
Diet soda messes with your body's "ok I'm done eating" mechanism and can cause you to eat more. Tell your friend to drink water.
Yeah, switching to Diet definitely helped in the calories department but I also felt like it made me a LOT more hungry, especially for bad stuff.
I'm honestly shocked by this because when I drank Diet Pepsi when I was dieting it honestly made me feel full/killed my cravings. Maybe I'm weird.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've lost over 100lbs over the last year and I drink diet soda almost every day. Wtf are you talking about

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've lost 40+ pounds three times in my life after regaining them each time. The most successful one was the last time I lost all the weight I have yet to gain back which is when I incorporated black coffee into my diet. I had already lost weight the first time by significantly reducing and eliminating soda from my diet. But it wasn't until I switched to black coffee with nothing in it did I manage to control my appetite and successfully keep the weight off. This was many years ago. Now I still have black coffee but I also have loads of tea every day. I never sweeten anything.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It's of course better, but not infinitely so. Artificial sweeteners still induce an insulin response, which is what makes you store/keep fat. Combining diet soda with the the same food pairings as plain water potentially makes you fatter, even if the calorie load is the same.

Diet soda is much, much better than regular soda. The problems happen when people treat it like a freebie. It's not.
This doesn't make any sense. Where else do you think those calories are going - do you think if you don't exercise but drink water you will pile on muscle?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost 25 pounds since January and diet soda has been helpful. I tend to have it with a meal, so I don't become too reliant on it. I drink plenty of water, as well. I've started to drink flavored Seltzer water as I reduce diet soda intake.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is Diet soda a better alternative to regular soda? Sure. Don't pass off diet soda as healthy or harmless just because you lost weight while drinking it though.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Diet coke was the only thing that got me through my diet when I needed more calories. Do you man

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The only effective argument against diet soda is cost. Man up and drink tap water (and drink more of it—six cans a day of liquid is not enough).

Other than that, let your friend be. The soda isn't doing him any harm.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I lost 22 kilograms in the last year after being diagnosed with Type I Diabetes. I drank an ungodly amount of ice tea and coke before and switched to tap water.

I can't drink any of that diet stuff. That shit tastes absolutely vile. I'd rather drink one can of real coke a week than a litre of coke zero every day.

Oct 25, 2017
I put on 30 pounds when I moved away to college. I had a bit of a wake-up call, started drinking Coke Zero instead of Dr Pepper, and dropped 15 pounds without even trying.

I drink a ton of whatever I'm drinking. I'd drink 500 calories of soda in a single meal easy back in those days. Diet soda was critical to getting to a more normal shape (I still rock that dad bod, but I'm a far cry from my worst).

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I put on 30 pounds when I moved away to college. I had a bit of a wake-up call, started drinking Coke Zero instead of Dr Pepper, and dropped 15 pounds without even trying.

I drink a ton of whatever I'm drinking. I'd drink 500 calories of soda in a single meal easy back in those days. Diet soda was critical to getting to a more normal shape (I still rock that dad bod, but I'm a far cry from my worst).

I have no idea why but if there are free refills I absolutely slam down sodas.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
yE
The "harm" of diet sodas is not that they have ghost calories or that they cause cancer/dementia whatever but that their consumption can do weird complicated stuff to your biology that's more nuanced than "it has 0 calories so it's basically water". It's not basically water because the artificial sweeteners still act on your brain chemistry in ways that change your eating habits and can make weight loss even harder, it's no substitute for just drinking water. The jury's still out on their overall effects and in the mean time it's best to just transition away from sodas entirely.

Introduce him to some carbonated, flavored seltzer water (LaCroix, Spindrift), that's what I drink now and I get cravings for soda every month or so but that's it.

This is the same thinking I had so I'm glad that its supported by facts

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I drink a lot of sugar free energy drinks. The two ways it's bad for you come solely from the carbonation. It kills your teeth as well as your stomach. Enamel gets eroded over time due to the acidic levels of carbonation. The same goes for your stomach. Your stomach acids hit higher pH levels from the carbonation.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I avoid soda when eating out since you're likely treating yourself with your food (or drinking alcohol with it), or you're eating somewhere with healthy options that are more expensive already and there's no sense ruining that expense by counteracting the healthy eating. I sometimes buy Zevia or other alternatives without all the artificial sweeteners for home if I'm craving carbonated drinks. I'll have a root beer with some fast food every now and then just cause it's the one regular soda I still enjoy. Most soda is too sweet for me now that I've stopped drinking them. Regular coke, pepsi, and dr. pepper make me feel terrible and taste terrible.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Would it be better to not drink soda at all, obviously yes. Diet soda is still much better for you than regular soda. I lost 15 lbs when I switched from regular to diet soda.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just drink water. Now look at my water emojis that emphasis this.

💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦🍆💦

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My trick was carbonated water, ice cold lime flavored carbonated water.

It likely isn't hurting his weight loss though unless the caffeine is messing up his sleep. Good sleep goes a long way.
This shit right here was my golden egg. I grew to love seltzer and only had diet soda on occasion.

Of course it doesn't exist in Japan so I have diet soda every other day or so now... hasn't made me gain weight but it does make me feel noticeably worse.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
"My friend is trying to lose weight and has switched from a high calorie beverage to a zero calorie beverage alternative. Should I let him know the big mistake he is making?"

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Finding a low calorie drink that you like can be a key to weightloss. I ve lost 150 pounds and I drink 7 packets of true lemon drink mixes per day. Good luck to your friend

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
"My friend is trying to lose weight and has switched from a high calorie beverage to a zero calorie beverage alternative. Should I let him know the big mistake he is making?"

It's infuriating, people read shit like that and think there's no reason to switch to lower calorie alternatives and just stick with their normal Soda.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. Where else do you think those calories are going - do you think if you don't exercise but drink water you will pile on muscle?

Calories in vs calories out is an overly simplistic model which doesn't account for how the body responds to the type of food/drink being consumed. Foods that spike insulin, which makes your body store fat, are going to make you fatter. Therefore diet soda, which causes an insulin response, will still be worse in terms of fat storage than plain water. It's still leaps and bounds better than actual sugary drinks, but it's not a net zero effect like some people want to think it is.