• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I have had 12 or more. Most recent ones last month. I had a 9mm and 6mm in the left kidney, and a cluster of them in the right. I'm not sure why they give pain killers other than ibuprofen, because nothing really works.

Personally, I hate having stents in for 2 weeks more than the actual stone pain.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I drink mostly soda and never had a kidney stones, then again I don't eat much salty foods.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
My first kidney stone was the thing that motivated to stop drinking Coca Cola in anything but gatherings. Best of luck.

Dec 7, 2017
Oh my God, this thread is sending me back a couple months. Had my first (and hopefully last!) kidney stone in April, and that shit was the most intense pain I have ever felt. Period. Like, I just didn't even know what to do. It made me sweat profusely, nauseous to the point of throwing multiple times and just generally not knowing what position to be in cause nothing helps.

It woke me up in the middle of the night on a Wednesday, went to the doctor an hour or 2 later and got some ibuprofen. First a shot cause I wanted it to work immediately and later just the pills. By Friday it still hadn't passed and I managed to get oxycodone and that helped.
By Saturday night, so 4 days of hellish pain, I finally peed it out. Couldn't have been more than 4 mm in diameter but that tiny spiky little thing shut me down real quick. Pray to whatever that you never get one. Seriously.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having had both, the kidney stone is way worse. My uti burned and ached, but the kidney stones are way way worse. Im genetically fucked with them, get one every 4 months or so. Got my first one at 10.

My UTI didn't burn or ache, it was a sharp pain that made me want to vomit. They originally thought I needed my appendix taken out.

Sorry about the stones. :( That sucks.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
responses.gif

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I've always been so afraid of getting a kidney stone but all I needed to do was drink water? I win I guess.

Sorry to hear that OP. Good luck to you.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I've had 4 of them the last five years. My wife still starts crying instantly when she thinks back to the screams of pain she had to witness.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a total of 4 kidney stones now. Got one about 1-2 months ago. Had to drive myself to the ER all while in pain because I didn't want to pay for an ambulance. I hope your ER experience was better than mine, had to wait 2 hours before I got a nurse/doctor and to receive pain meds.

This recent one was first time in nearly 12 years though. Took me 2 weeks to pass, tried to work as I was usually fine but was in pain after so I took most of the time off sick. Take your meds (flomax or whatever they gave you) and drink alot of water.

After you get one, every little twinge discomfort you have near your kidney will make you go oh shit and drink a gallon of water to just be sure lol.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that sucks OP. I have heard how excruciatingly painfully kidney stones are but thankfully have never had first hand experience.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I just downed a liter of water thanks to this thread.

Not like that'll help as I'm genetically predisposed and drink iced coffee everyday. FUCK.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Had one like 8 years ago I think, thankfully never happened again since then. But part of me still fears it might come back one more time just to piss me off.
I drink more water nowadays, so hopefully that will keep it away forever.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Do they cut the urethra as you pass them?
The urethra's pretty tough and any kidney stone that can find its way through the ureter should make it through with minimal discomfort.

The ureter though? That thing can get torn up and lead to some distressing trips to the bathroom. One time I pissed what looked like cloudy iced tea.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least this thread works as a "pls drink water" awareness thread.

Hearing that so many people have had multiple concerns me. No thanks!

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
The urethra's pretty tough and any kidney stone that can find its way through the ureter should make it through with minimal discomfort.

The ureter though? That thing can get torn up and lead to some distressing trips to the bathroom. One time I pissed what looked like cloudy iced tea.
lol you go like man am I dying? wtf

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I had my first one in early February this year. Nearly two weeks of the worst pain I've ever felt. Ate ibuprofen like candy. Drank tons of water and a bunch of lemon juice every day. Luckily it broke up, and it passed without needing surgery. Looked like I pissed sand, but I've never been so relieved in my life.

I now live in constant fear over every twinge in my abdomen. It helped me get serious about my diet, though.

Oct 25, 2017
lol you go like man am I dying? wtf

I had that happen to me, but it was thick and soupy with blood. Literally the most shocking health moment of my life.

And then I got the kidney stones blasted with sound waves and pissed blood for nearly a week straight. Not much more unnerving than constantly urinating chunky blood clots. Feeling them push out of you. Ugggggh. It's all coming back to me.

The next stone will be my 6th. Dreading when it'll come, but I know it will. Doctors can't figure out how to stop them.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I had that happen to me, but it was thick and soupy with blood. Literally the most shocking health moment of my life.

And then I got the kidney stones blasted with sound waves and pissed blood for nearly a week straight. Not much more unnerving than constantly urinating chunky blood clots. Feeling them push out of you. Ugggggh. It's all coming back to me.

The next stone will be my 6th. Dreading when it'll come, but I know it will. Doctors can't figure out how to stop them.
I guess all my kidney stones have been small enough to pass them naturally. Still no fun.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I am reminded of this Family Guy skit when I see people having kidney stone problems.

I got a CT Scan done just in case for kidney stones and whatnot by my kidney doctor, I've had UTIs which suck ass though.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a kidney stone in the fall of 2016. My urologist told me to drink lots of water and beer. Apparently the beer helps break it down. So drink lots!

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
I had some back in March, I was spasiming, cursing out the nurses, the only thing that helper was morphine. I've been stabbed, had broken bones, but nothing I've experienced was like that kidney stone.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably my worst nightmare.

My drinking habits have been terrible recently. Just a bunch of garbage. Coke Zeros, low calorie Gatorade, etc. I need to get back on the water train.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably my worst nightmare.

My drinking habits have been terrible recently. Just a bunch of garbage. Coke Zeros, low calorie Gatorade, etc. I need to get back on the water train.

I hear you. I used to drink plenty of water but now I've been on a ginger ale kick for over a year. I feel like I'm doomed. I hear that ginger actually helps prevent them but there's no way I'm helping my body by doing this to myself.

Oct 28, 2017
Water, water, a beer at night to flush things through and more water.
Both my parents had kidney stones several times so I'm likely to get one sooner or later.
I heard the pain is comparable to giving birth. Dad getting teary eyed, mom vomited and curled up in agony on the bed Really nasty stuff.
It doesn't help that in our public healthcare you have to wait a bunch and probably only get a dirty ass chair to sit on when they finally give you an infusion with painkillers.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I drink lots of water.

On the flip side I also need to lower my sodium. I put a lot salt on a lot of shit.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I had a kidney stone in the fall of 2016. My urologist told me to drink lots of water and beer. Apparently the beer helps break it down. So drink lots!

Weird, mine said no beer, but well he basically said no anything but water and juice (of course I'm ignoring him....)-

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had some kidney stones in past years and they were the worst things I ever experienced. The pain is unbelievable and you can't even think about it without experiencing it. :|
Last time, doctor broke my stones with TUL. They entered a tiny camera in my penis when I was awake (that part of me was numb for sure) and then entered a weapon(!) to shoot stones. I was watching the process on a monitor and it was really interesting!

Last edited:

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My condolences. I get them as well, and the only thing that helps prevent them for me is to just drink a lot of water all the time. When I was 17 I had the misfortune of having two at the same time, one in each kidney, though at lest they were small and easy to pass. Intermittent agonizing pain for a week.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
op, what is your diet like? Do you sit alot and avoid drinking water?