• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm just kidding about not wanting a cat. We are going to the local pet shelter and looking for a female cat

Please give me tips

Things I need to buy TODAY:
soft pet carrier
cat liter box
cat liter
cat liter mat
liter scoop
shallow cat dish
cat food wet/dry
collar with bell
cat toys

Things I need to buy soon:
cat scratch post
cat condo
cat tracker?

Been watching youtube videos and they are helpful, anything channels I should look into?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
uoipbd5i5ztbpwehxg3k.jpg

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
So your gf won the cat game that's why you are in the gaming discussion about your loss.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
cat scratch post

You want to move this to the today column... Also get a simple one and a cardboard just to see what they like and give them multiple places to scratch at things, they might be afraid. You can always upgrade to a more luxurious one later.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'd pass on any collars with bells. While that can benefit owners since they'll know where their cat is at all times, the constant noise could eventually cause stress.

Also, get a second cat so it doesn't get lonely and turn to chewing on cables or scratching up your stuff. Cats are very social animals, and two cats are not much more trouble.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you need a cat carrier today if you want to wait for a sale. Unless you're going very far from the shelter to your home

same with toys, just start me off with a simple cardboard scratch toy and an old shoe lace and see if they like it

Oct 27, 2017
I'd pass on any collars with bells. While that can benefit owners since they'll know where their cat is at all times, the constant noise could eventually cause stress.

Also, get a second cat so it doesn't get lonely and turn to chewing on cables or scratching up your stuff. Cats are very social animals, and two cats are not much more trouble.
Nah, bells are fine. Largely because cats are sneaky mother fuckers and basically learn how to walk with minimal jangling.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

If it is an indoor cat then yes, forgoing collar w/ bell is a good idea. However, if the cat is allowed to stroll outside, bells are a good way alert other smaller creatures, esp. birds in the vicinity of the little sneaky predator.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Get 2 cats preferrably from the same litter if possible. Cats need attention from other living beings so if you're off working they'll still have companionship. It'll keep them healthier in general too and isn't a significant increase in work from 1 cat.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just kidding about not wanting a cat. We are going to the local pet shelter and looking for a female cat

Please give me tips

Things I need to buy TODAY:
soft pet carrier
cat liter box
cat liter
cat liter mat
liter scoop
shallow cat dish
cat food wet/dry
collar with bell
cat toys

cat scratch post
cat condo
cat tracker?

Been watching youtube videos and they are helpful, anything channels I should look into?

Don't buy cat toys. It's almost always a waste of money... Look up homemade toys for them, it's pretty easy.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I wouldn't put a collar on your cat. Cats really heavily on their body hair and whiskers for spatial awareness, specifically at night. That collar is going to bother it for life.

Otherwise, some random tips:
Keep the water and food very separate, or it might not drink water
Get a few things for it to scratch on, but concede that it'll still scratch something you behold
Put an empty box or two on the floor, it'll love you for it
A balled-up receipt from the store makes for a free and beloved cat toy

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Damn it OP, I entered this thread in the hopes of finding a fellow cat disliker. I feel bamboozled.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the best pet in the world. Get ready for tons of tiny cute headbutts!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Now it's in the right thread.

If you are getting a cat, don't worry about buying anything like beds or towers for it to climb:
The chances are it will just ignore it and sleep or play somewhere else.

Do get a scratching post, it's probably a good thing for it to know what to scratch as soon as it can.

470nm

Oct 25, 2017
Keep your cat inside (too many risks outside). So no need for a cat tracker.

Also one of those bright orange reflective collars in case it does get out.

OP
OP
zerocalories

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
gotcha, today

will drive your cat nuts
noted

ats preferrably from the same litter if possible. Cats need attention from other living beings so if you're off working they'll still have companionship. It'll keep them healthier in general too an
we have a 25lb dog brother for the new cat

Don't buy cat toys. It's almost always a waste of money... Look up homemade toys for them, it's pretty easy.
thanks

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Understand that a cat isn't just a pet, it's a roommate. It's no always going to be super happy and euphoric like a dog. Cats needs their time alone, if it doesn't want something, never force it.
Be kind and patient with it and you'll have a best bud for life.
( I have six cats right now and they're the sweetest. )

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ask the shelter what food they feed and what litter they use. Having those to start off before you transition to whatever you want to use can be helpful, especially since some cats can be really picky and get upset stomach when you change food suddenly.

Set up a room in your house with all the stuff, and keep the food on the other side of the room from the litter box. Keep the door closed and let the cat explore the room on its own terms. Go in once and a while and just read or do something quietly so the cat gets used to you being there. For some cats this process only takes a few hours or isn't needed much at all, for others it can take a few days before they want to explore the rest of the house.

Edit:
Since you have a dog, probably keep the cat in that separate room when no one else is home until you're sure that both the dog and the cat feel comfortable with each other.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you have an outdoor cat then get ready to contentiously buy new collars as it will fine ways to get rid of it outside.

As for age, a kitty is hyper active, they will bounce around everywhere and play tag with you as well as hid in difficult to find places. Eventually it will mellow down though with age.

Don't be excessive with toys, as some noted some homemade stuff can suffice especially due to the fact that the toy won't really last that long as well as the cat will get tired of it relatively quickly.

A separate dish for water and food is the way to go, having those dual dishes will just make a mess for the food and water.

For the water having a bowl that has an upper container attached to it is nice. You don't know when your cat may finish the water quickly and you might not be there to help quench its thirst.

Don't give it milk, don't give it tuna. Water and cat food/kibbles for the appropriate age, etc...

Also prepare to get your cat vaccinated if it isn't already.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If it is an indoor cat then yes, forgoing collar w/ bell is a good idea. However, if the cat is allowed to stroll outside, bells are a good way alert other smaller creatures, esp. birds in the vicinity of the little sneaky predator.

Nah, that has never proven effective. Cats learn to hunt with the bell.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Cat water fountains are the way to go. Some cats will refuse to drink from a bowl of water because the water is still; still water in the wilderness is usually stagnant, so it may be their instincts kicking in. Doesn't even have to be fancy, either. I bought a $30+ fountain for my cats and while they liked it, the pump broke down in a couple of weeks. We ended up getting a cheap $15 model from Walmart which my cats like, and we've had it for over 2 years now.

Also, GET A BLACK CAT. They are awesome and unfortunately have lower adoption rates. I love my black cat, she is so incredibly social she must be a dog in disguise.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cat water fountains are the way to go. Some cats will refuse to drink from a bowl of water because the water is still; still water in the wilderness is usually stagnant, so it may be their instincts kicking in. Doesn't even have to be fancy, either. I bought a $30+ fountain for my cats and while they liked it, the pump broke down in a couple of weeks. We ended up getting a cheap $15 model from Walmart which my cats like, and we've had it for over 2 years now.

Also, GET A BLACK CAT. They are awesome and unfortunately have lower adoption rates. I love my black cat, she is so incredibly social she must be a dog in disguise.

I have an outdoor cat and he refuses to drink from the water fountain. We ended up going back to a bowl.

Totally agreed about black cats, though.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Litter Robot, for how ungodly expensive they are, are quite nifty to have if possible. Take up a decent chunk of space however.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Well, might as well get it out of the way and get the second cat if they're both kittens.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If possible I would put the cat scratch on your to buy now list, really important to get them used to having one straight away so they don't form bad habits and scratch your furniture or carpets.