• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Congrats! I'm halfway through my 7th year in public service as well. Hoping Republicans don't get a chance to reverse the change to the public service loan forgiveness before I fully qualify. My ex-coworker who trained me on my current job applied for it back in 2016 but got denied under the old rules... I hope she was able to qualify under the new rules because no doubt she was still paying up to this point. She had been working in our job for 12 years when she quit in 2017.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Having worked in the nonprofit and public sectors, I don't think I could do that even if I chose to not eat or pay for housing.
I appreciate you and I am genuinely happy for you! I can't revise history and it's pretty fruitless to dwell on, but I think back to a time after I graduated where my bank account consistently had ~$100 in in it and everything over that amount was getting transferred right to my student loan payments. If I had paid the minimum, I might be in a situation to get some huge relief in the future. I worked so hard to get to a situation where I had zero debt in all aspects of my life and now with this inflation we are seeing and this student debt relief it seems like the debtors are the ones getting advantages. I played the system wrong in that sense.

Again, it's unfair to think about and I am happy that you and future students might get some much-needed help!! I know my comments come off as whiny.

OP
OP
disillusion386
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is currently in the process of PSLF, but has like 30 some months/payments left. She's paranoid it's somehow not gonna happen, so it's good to hear a success story
I'm only now seeing this comment. Your wife should be submitting the employment certification form. It's the best way to confirm that the payments qualify.

When the payments get certified, take screenshots of the payment tracker page. Save all bank statements as proof.

Congrats! I'm halfway through my 7th year in public service as well. Hoping Republicans don't get a chance to reverse the change to the public service loan forgiveness before I fully qualify. My ex-coworker who trained me on my current job applied for it back in 2016 but got denied under the old rules... I hope she was able to qualify under the new rules because no doubt she was still paying up to this point. She had been working in our job for 12 years when she quit in 2017.

Yeah, that was my biggest worry. I was really aiming for TEPSLF, which has smaller pool of money, because that would have allowed three years' worth of my payments to qualify. I'm super thankful I got this done before the midterm elections and next presidential election.

Are you certifying your employment annually? I know you're only in your 7th year, but you don't want to make the same mistake I did (finding out four years in that my repayment plan didn't count).

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I think literally 99% of claims are rejected over minor technicalities and many people never get them forgiven even though they should. So your wife is right to be worried. The whole system is a complete mess.
TEPSLF addressed a lot of those issues, and the waiver closed up many of the remaining gaps. It's really important to beat the October 2022 deadline for consolidation if you're depending on the waiver though.

Nobody was eligible for PSLF until 2017.

Last edited:

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
$78k damn. What on earth did you major in? Or is this combined undergrad and graduate studies? I'm also doing public service for mostly this reason.

OP
OP
disillusion386
Oct 25, 2017
$78k damn. What on earth did you major in? Or is this combined undergrad and graduate studies? I'm also doing public service for mostly this reason.
Almost all of my loans were from grad school. Like many millenials, I entered the workforce during the height of Great Recession so even though I had a STEM master's degree, I had a hard time finding a job. I ended up finding work for an environmental nonprofit org and was really banking on the PSLF program. I'm so thankful it worked out in the end.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Congrats. My wife is a high school teacher and got 1/2 her loans forgiven. Prior to teaching she consilidated her loans which made her ineligible for the other half. I wish I were so lucky.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, that was my biggest worry. I was really aiming for TEPSLF, which has smaller pool of money, because that would have allowed three years' worth of my payments to qualify. I'm super thankful I got this done before the midterm elections and next presidential election.

Are you certifying your employment annually? I know you're only in your 7th year, but you don't want to make the same mistake I did (finding out four years in that my repayment plan didn't count).

Yeah I have to annually recertify each year.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. My wife is a high school teacher and got 1/2 her loans forgiven. Prior to teaching she consilidated her loans which made her ineligible due the other half. I wish I were so lucky.
Consolidated all to private or consolidated some other way? If she still had loans eligible for partial forgiveness (I'm assuming Teacher Loan Forgiveness?) then are you sure the rest aren't eligible?

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
TEPSLF addressed a lot of those issues, and the waiver closed up many of the remaining gaps. It's really important to beat the October 2022 deadline for consolidation if you're depending on the waiver though.

Nobody was eligible for PSLF until 2017.

Thats wonderful news. It sounded like a nightmare for friends and family that tried to do it back then.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Almost all of my loans were from grad school. Like many millenials, I entered the workforce during the height of Great Recession so even though I had a STEM master's degree, I had a hard time finding a job. I ended up finding work for an environmental nonprofit org and was really banking on the PSLF program. I'm so thankful it worked out in the end.

Super happy for you. I'm really thankful for the TESLPF. That will buy me extra time/payments. I'm locked into State government now so all I have to do is stick it out. And fortunately for me that was always my end goal. I was LTTP for retirements savings. Started late and with very little. So having a pension is a huge boon for me.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I never had debt from school, but if I did, this type of relief has to be amazing! Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
disillusion386
Oct 25, 2017
Super happy for you. I'm really thankful for the TESLPF. That will buy me extra time/payments. I'm locked into State government now so all I have to do is stick it out. And fortunately for me that was always my end goal. I was LTTP for retirements savings. Started late and with very little. So having a pension is a huge boon for me.
Right on. I switched over to state government 4 years ago, and yeah, I actually intend to stay long-term too. The big difference now is I won't have 80k looming over my shoulder.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only now seeing this comment. Your wife should be submitting the employment certification form. It's the best way to confirm that the payments qualify.

When the payments get certified, take screenshots of the payment tracker page. Save all bank statements as proof.

Yeah, thankfully we've been staying on top of it. We submit the employment form annually, and see the number of qualifying payments go up.

And luckily, even non-payments due to the Covid deferment still count every month. So the total # of payments keeps going up without us actually paying, which is nice.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That is awesome, congrats OP.

I had read recently that DOE was restructuring PSLF because so many applicants were getting rejected on bullshit technicalities and were expanding the scope of forgiven debt holders, but I'm surprised it's gone into effect this quickly!

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, nice!
So the Public Service forgiveness requests are actually going through?
Didn't that whole process basically come to a complete stop with DeVos as head of the Ed Dept?

OP
OP
disillusion386
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, these numbers are blowing my mind. And I thought my 30k of student debt 25 years ago was ugly..things are so much worse now.
My loans are mostly for a Master's degree, but you'd be surprised about the number of doctors and lawyers who work in the public or nonprofit sector. Their loans are even more astronomical.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, nice!
So the Public Service forgiveness requests are actually going through?
Didn't that whole process basically come to a complete stop with DeVos as head of the Ed Dept?
People have been getting forgiven, just at a really slow rate. That rate has been going up as more people qualify under the original rules as well as TEPSLF.

This is the second wave (I believe) of forgiveness under the October waiver.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking GOOD. Congratulations man. I see its happening for others too but it often doesn't get enough attention IMO. This is huge for those it effects. Im really happy for you.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Nice work! Very very nice work!

I need to check on my mom's which I helped her apply for under the Borrower's Defense Program. She's /was/ getting emails about payment starting up again, well she was before the freeze started up once more.

I sent it in during the DeVos bullshit so who knows wtf is up but even then, while "under review" all payments are suspended. Useful technicality.

My plan for her was to just keep reapplying and game it like that lol should work in theory.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
February wave of forgiveness went out yesterday. Seems like this will be a monthly occurrence until they catch up on processing accounts affected by the waiver.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I am in shock. After over 10 years of working in the non-profit sector and now state government, my two loans now have a balance of $0.00.

The crazy part is that I didn't even know that I would get my two loans forgiven this soon. There were three years where I was under a repayment plan that did not qualify. But between the Temporary Extended Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that came out of the 2018 Spending Bill (thanks Congressional Dems) and the PSLF Waiver (thanks Biden), $78k went poof!

I did have to pester Fed Loan Servicing a few times to get the review of my payments done, including putting in a complaint. If you're in a similar boat as me, please don't hesitate to ask questions or reach out. I want as many people who have federal loans and have been working in public service to get their loans forgiven.

I don't think I've cried this many happy tears since my daughters were born.

My wife has another year before she hits 10 years. Should she be looking into things or pestering anyone?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has another year before she hits 10 years. Should she be looking into things or pestering anyone?
Has she already moved her loans to FedLoan? Is she counting on the waiver?

If she hasn't consolidated, there are some circumstances where it might behoove her to wait until October. By default the waiver applies to payments made by the end of October 2021, but if you haven't consolidated yet, payments after that will continue to count under the waiver as long as you consolidate before the end of October 2022.

If you're already on a qualifying plan outside the waiver though, there's no reason to wait on consolidating. Do that ASAP. You're more likely to lose a month to processing if you do it after payments restart.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I havent gotten a letter yet (though I knew with confidence earlier back in October of last year that my loan got discharged because I called them directly to confirm) but I have been checking my StudentAid.gov account at least every other week - for the last couple of months, I've been seeing the total being the same as always

Today I logged in and now the balance is $0.

So happy about that!!!!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I havent gotten a letter yet (though I knew with confidence earlier back in October of last year that my loan got discharged because I called them directly to confirm) but I have been checking my StudentAid.gov account at least every other week - for the last couple of months, I've been seeing the total being the same as always

Today I logged in and now the balance is $0.

So happy about that!!!!
Congrats!

Actually... My balance is zero as well which is what inspired me to bump the thread. I'm still in denial though because I didn't think I was at 120 yet.

The current theory is that my Perkins loan payments helped me stay eligible during my forbearance months even though I never actually consolidated the Perkins loan and it was paid off in 2019.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Congrats!

Actually... My balance is zero as well which is what inspired me to bump the thread. I'm still in denial though because I didn't think I was at 120 yet.

The current theory is that my Perkins loan payments helped me stay eligible during my forbearance months even though I never actually consolidated the Perkins loan and it was paid off in 2019.

Thanks! I'm glad you bumped the thread lol - and grats to you and everyone else as well!

I'm just happy that I wont be drowning in student debt for majority of my life now.

I signed up on a whim back in 2019 for the borrower defense and man I am so glad I did that lol. My whole family is literally cheering now lol.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm almost done paying for mine and it doesn't bother me one bit that people are getting much needed breaks. I'm happy for you OP and Zoe. I hope many more get the same treatment.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
I have about $10,000 left to pay from my loans from ITT-Tech. I have been paying for this shit since the mid 2000s. At this point, $10k is nothing compared to what it used to be.

Feb 15, 2018
Congrats to OP and everyone who had loans forgiven!
I don't 100% understand if I need to do anything by October 31. I've been submitting my employment certification annually and sent it in a few weeks ago but haven't gotten the updated payment count yet. I have about 40 payments left. All my loans are direct loans on FedLoan, but I made about 8 payments on a normally non-qualifying repayment plan a few years ago (while working at a qualified employer, but before I knew it would be a long term job to stick with.) Those 8 payments show up in the count for TEPSLF on last year's statement but will that go away come October?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I am in shock. After over 10 years of working in the non-profit sector and now state government, my two loans now have a balance of $0.00.

The crazy part is that I didn't even know that I would get my two loans forgiven this soon. There were three years where I was under a repayment plan that did not qualify. But between the Temporary Extended Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that came out of the 2018 Spending Bill (thanks Congressional Dems) and the PSLF Waiver (thanks Biden), $78k went poof!

I did have to pester Fed Loan Servicing a few times to get the review of my payments done, including putting in a complaint. If you're in a similar boat as me, please don't hesitate to ask questions or reach out. I want as many people who have federal loans and have been working in public service to get their loans forgiven.

I don't think I've cried this many happy tears since my daughters were born.

Please help. What did you say? What did they need to do?

I mean one of my teachers was DEAD and they didnt forgive mine.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to OP and everyone who had loans forgiven!
I don't 100% understand if I need to do anything by October 31. I've been submitting my employment certification annually and sent it in a few weeks ago but haven't gotten the updated payment count yet. I have about 40 payments left. All my loans are direct loans on FedLoan, but I made about 8 payments on a normally non-qualifying repayment plan a few years ago (while working at a qualified employer, but before I knew it would be a long term job to stick with.) Those 8 payments show up in the count for TEPSLF on last year's statement but will that go away come October?
Since you're already on FedLoan, there's nothing for you to do. Everything that was already considered TEPSLF will count towards normal PSLF thanks to the waiver. You only need to worry about TEPSLF if you plan to be on a non-qualifying repayment plan when payments restart in May.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I'm just now coming across this thread, congrats OP!

My wife is currently going through the process as she's spent over 10 years as a public high school counselor. She's been in a holding pattern for about a month now so I'll encourage her to pester a little more based on your experience.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
I graduated in 2008 with 42K in loans but was able to save and pay them all off in about 8 years. It felt so good to knock them down 1 by 1 and finally kill the last one off. It was a massive balancing act trying to invest for a hopeful future retirement and chip away at those damn loans while also having some kind of fun in life. I'm glad that I did all of the above and I'm not bitter at all, congratulations on your loan forgiveness!

I hope many more have that burden removed from them and are able to hopefully get on with their lives much faster whether that be have a family, buy a house, etc.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Man, congrats, OP. I'm within 2 years from getting to 120 payments under PSLF, and it's great to see success stories like this. The reports out there make it sound like borrowers have to fight to get loans forgiven, but whenever I look at the details of any anecdote, I determine their issues don't apply to me. Hopefully your success does, though (I even have the same amount of debt as you did)! Your story is the first testimonial I've come across of success.

OP
OP
disillusion386
Oct 25, 2017
Really awesome to hear others are benefitting and getting their loans forgiven through the PSLF/TEPSLF waiver! There's actually been a lot of progress made on this front. NYT did a profile of a few people (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/25/your-money/pslf-relief.html), and Dept of Ed. themselves said that they're making progress (this time last year 7k people had loans forgiven; by January 2022, already 70k people have been granted relief).

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I just logged in to check my balance for the 5th or 6th time today and the loans are gone. Finally have the $50k monkey off of my back. I am in utter shock right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Well good to see at least some getting their loans forgiven. I feel terrible for folk whom tried before and were fucked over

Congratulations OP! Hope to see more and more benefiting from this