• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

one of my all-time favorite moments in any video game ever. I had already been playing for several days, hundreds of hours into the game. I played through the entirety of BotW blind, no guides at all. I was trying to find all the Zelda memories in the game, but I refused to use any guide, nor did I know you could ask someone in the game to mark spots on the map for you. Instead, I found them all just by studying the shit out of the map, and aligning monuments on the map to things I could see in the photos (yes, that actually works!) So I was exploring the land, trying to get to every inch of the map to find them. I had already finished two dungeons. At this point I was deeply into the game. I had already at one point stumbled upon this ice mountain that lead to an epic fight with a dragon, just out of the blue, and at another point I had found this enormous statue of this sword atop a giant spire, so I was really into this aspect of stumbling upon things.

Up to that point, i had mainly traversed either by foot, by floating, or by boat, but in my quest to find the Zelda memories, I finally started riding horses. It was nighttime in the game, and I wasn't noticing that this song was different from the riding at day music, until the Zelda theme started playing seemingly out of the blue.

Until the Zelda theme started playing, because I had been on a completely blackout of the game, i just assumed BotW was like OoT and lacked the theme entirely. I figured they thought getting rid of the theme was part of their seemingly endless bold decisions they'd made. Because I found it organically, after so long, and how subtle it was, just made it so much more meaningful.

On top of the theme being such an awesome nod that I found deep into the game, the actual composition is awesome, too. It's like this freeform piano jazz that is accented by violins. Awesome, awesome song. I could listen to it endlessly. Hands down my favorite zelda moment ever.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Just stating facts I see, you are correct, it is the best version!

The first time I heard this and started making out the theme I was in awe of how great it was, gave me goosebumps

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I think I agree. I loved listening to the day/night riding themes when I played the game.

BOTW's soundtrack is fantastic. The complete version of the Divine Beast Van Rudania dungeon theme is my favorite dungeon theme in the entire series. It's absolutely wonderful.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I really dislike that you have to be on the horse, at night, with no enemies around, and moving at a certain speed to hear it. Why's the game so anal about playing it?

First off, I think hearing it in the day would make just a little more sense considering this is the Zelda theme.

Second, why only on horseback? I associate with Link himself more than Link on a horse.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, it's glorious.

It was even more special to me because the first time I heard it play was when I had just caught the giant horse and was riding back to the stable to register it. The theme kicked in and I thought it was because I had managed to tame a special horse, it was beautiful.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
it's the best game ever made, what were you expecting? :b

yes, i'm a member of the BoTW OST's Defese Force

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" Hands down my favorite zelda moment ever. "

...What? Hearing some piano version of Zeldas theme while riding in an empty field is your favorite Zelda moment? Uhm... ok. To each their own, I guess...

I find that very hard to believe when there is stuff like Anju and Kafei's last moments in the series...

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW has one of the best soundtracks ever made for a videogame. It's minimalistic and situational, and pretty much perfect.

Nov 17, 2017

...What? Hearing some piano version of Zeldas theme while riding in an empty field is your favorite Zelda moment? Uhm... ok. To each their own, I guess...

I find that very hard to believe when there are moments like Anju and Kafei's last moments in the series...
Way to minimize OP's experience. I think they explained pretty clearly why it impacted them the way it did.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I rode horses through every region over the hundreds of hours I spent in BotW and both the daytime and night themes are among the most memorable pieces of music in the game. The transitions at the end of them work so well too, the way the melody ends on a few heavy notes before allowing the ambient sound and Link's footsteps to take over. Loved that every time.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never heard this actually

Because who the heck rides horses in BoTW?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike that you have to be on the horse, at night, with no enemies around, and moving at a certain speed to hear it. Why's the game so anal about playing it?

First off, I think hearing it in the day would make just a little more sense considering this is the Zelda theme.

Second, why only on horseback? I associate with Link himself more than Link on a horse.
There is a day version...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Huh I never heard that. I mean the nighttime riding piano music yes, but I don't think I was on there long enough at a time to really hear the violins taking off.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I love this song (as well as the horse riding day song). It's such a nice, refreshing composition that gives me the feeling of galloping gently across the fields, and it solves the problem of "how do you play that famous overworld theme in a game that's all overworld for 100 hours?" The music in BOTW is one of the best parts of its makeover.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I find that very hard to believe when there is stuff like Anju and Kafei's last moments in the series...
I mean I love that moment too, but I feel like you're downplaying gameplay moments in favor or story moments. Like, that scene is great but you're just mashing through text boxes as it happens. BotW is great at creating evocative and organic moments through gameplay. It's a completely different type of thing than memorable cutscenes or memorable orchestrated setpieces, not inferior to those.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Music in the game is pretty masterful and add's to the experience. I don't think there's much games this generation where Each region at every day and night time has it's own specific music which add's so much to memorability of a particular area and mostly subtly used. Reaching a particular Divine beast has high impact.
It's not the Zelda theme.
It is in specifically Princess Zelda's theme which kind of makes sense as she's holding back Ganon back and changes during night to Main theme when more enemies appear.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Please stop making BotW threads, people

They always make me want to play it again, but my wife says I'm not allowed to :(

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
BotW's soundtrack is crazy underrated
Yep. Amazing craftsmanship work

Obligatory, as it talks about this too, and the entire video is gold and talks about other hidden old music pieces.

Also, it's not a bad thing we have the theme in that form. OOT for example doesn't even play the theme, I don't think it's an obligatory thing.

EDIT: Remembered 8-bit did a more full musical analysis of the OST:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I wonder if we'll get the same composser for Animal Crossing or if she'll be busy with BOTW2. Either way, can't wait to hear more from her.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I love that moment too, but I feel like you're downplaying gameplay moments in favor or story moments. Like, that scene is great but you're just mashing through text boxes as it happens. BotW is great at creating evocative and organic moments through gameplay. It's a completely different type of thing than memorable cutscenes or memorable orchestrated setpieces, not inferior to those.
Yeah, I like those story moments more. BOTW didn't deliver enough on that front imo.

But you can also have those moments in gameplay too, like in Skyward Sword when you clean the sand in skippers house and find his dead family with all the pictures etc, I was deeply touched by that, especially because the music fitted so perfectly with only the strings of the Lanayru Sand Sea theme playing.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I'm not indoors I'm on a horse, no exceptions. The horses are the best I've seen and feel more alive than horses in other games where they control like a car.
Horses can't climb mountains. And I feel like half the game's exploration was scaling a mountain and then parasailing down.

Also having to get horses from stations around the world felt very inconvenient.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Horses can't climb mountains. And I feel like half the game's exploration was scaling a mountain and then parasailing down.

Also having to get horses from stations around the world felt very inconvenient.
I usually park them nearby at the base under a tree or near a stream.
I actually don't mind that you have to get horses from stables and can't magically summon them. I really enjoy the horse gameplay. It helps with the calming therapeutic feeling when I'm just exploring and screwing around.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great track but I guessed I missed it in my 40+ hours of playing because I hated the horse riding.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it when it kicked in, but it always took forever to get to it in my experience, to the point I had almost always reached my destination on horseback by the time it finally started up. Pretty sure it fades out if you stop moving, too.

Hooopefully BotW2 makes horses more worthwhile (letting them warp to you much earlier would be a good start)

I did have a similar reaction to Kass's full song though, which was surprising because after that "Blood Moon at Midnight" shrine I had pretty much learned to despise it

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I liked it when it kicked in, but it always took forever to get to it in my experience, to the point I had almost always reached my destination on horseback by the time it finally started up. Pretty sure it fades out if you stop moving, too.

I believe you need to be at either trotting or walking speed and not be around enemies. As long as that happens it kicks in pretty quickly.

You also need to maintain the trot (or walk) speed or else it'll fade out.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I listen to this.. it's nice

I barely used horses in my playthrough :/
Can't blame you, there's a lot of things to see so constantly stopping and dismounting/mounting would probably get old fast. As for the music in OP, yeah it's decent too bad it plays in a very specific situation.

As for the music overall...I'm not feeling it, I do understand why it's the way it is, I don't know if I could endure a song in the style of Hyrule field in OoT for hours on end so I appreciate it for that at least. Only song I resonated with in my short time playing (so far) is Hyrule Castle.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The horses control so bad in this game that I never even bothered to use them. I think SOTC spoiled me on horse mechanics.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
....you can ask someone to mark the memory locations on the map for you?
I don't know if they mark them, because I had all that stuff turned off, but they definitely give you hints.

once you help the painter guy with a photo of the fairy fountain, he'll show up at stables to give you hints

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The Gerudo area dungeon is my absolute favourite. I really love the dungeon music in general. Love seeing the outside world as part of it, gives it that Shadow Of The Colossus sense of scale.