• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss.

The only thing i can tall you is that i had the same experience with my "father"(Uncle) tragically died several years ago and the grief never really goes away, but you learn how to live with it and continue with your life...eventually.

I wish you strength to do this when the time comes in the meantime allow yourself to grief, to mourn him and also for you to remember him dearly.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Losing a parent is incredibly difficult, I lost my mom almost three years ago. I am sorry for your loss.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Sorry for your loss OP. What I noticed with my experience with grief is that the start wasn't really that difficult. Maybe because my brain didn't process it. It's after a while when you actually start to miss the person, when you want talk with them, when you want to share this funny video you saw on the internet. That's when the pain really sets in.

Talk about how you feel, cry a lot. Just try to be open about how you feel, that really helped.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very sorry for your loss, OP. That's really sad.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
Very sorry for your loss. No one can understand what you are going through individually, but the best advice I could give having gone through similar circumstances with my dad is to really make an effort to give yourself time and take care of yourself. I also felt I was more prepared when my dad died because he was in bad shape for a long time, but really it just meant I was too numb to deal with it when it finally happened. Allow yourself the time and space to process everything and grieve and don't feel guilty about that.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Rip to your old man. Take it day by day is my advice to you, thats what worked for me.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss, OP. It's important that you reach out to people. Don't be afraid to show your feelings.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm sorry for your loss, OP. I'm dealing with episodes of grief myself right now as I lost my father last Thursday and my grandmother on my father's side the same day. There will be times where you'll feel like crying, or in a solemn mood and its okay to express your grief however it comes. Its also ok to express them alone if you don't wan't to share with the family. You have family to go to and be each others emotional rocks to support each other so that's good. Give yourself whatever time you desire to go through your loss.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Lost both of my parents about three years to this month as well. So terribly sorry from the bottom of my heart. It does get better and the memories that hurt now do bring some peace later, but unfortunately that just takes time.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry. :(

Try to keep yourself distracted. Play some video games. Go for walks.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
My condolences to you OP. I'm in the same boat. Both of my grandparents on my dad's side contracted Covid at the same time. My grandpa died on Jan 30, and my grandma just a week later. Covid is awful.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
53 is way too young. My condolences :( Carry on the lessons he left you with.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My condolences OP
I never experienced grief before. I am open to suggestions for how to deal with these awful feelings.
As someone who went through something similar, spend time with your mother and brother and embrace how you're feeling - grief is a normal emotional response. Remember your father for the person he was and what that means to you and family. Honestly, time is the only thing that meaningfully helped me and even then the scars are still there. You will grow stronger out of all this.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My condolences vaderise. Lost my father to it early in the pandemic last year and my friend just lost his as well. We're never really prepared for it but we learn to accept it over time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss OP
I just recently had my mother pass away last week. Not covid related but I understand how you feel

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm terrified of. My dad has horrific lung issues but has been lucky in not getting Covid so far, and has worked out every day to stay in healthy shape.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine what it would be like.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I am very sorry for your loss, OP. I can relate, as I lost my mother almost one year ago, and she had just turned 53, as well.
It's been a tough year, to say the least, a lot of pain, but we can only move on. Stay close to your family.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm so sorry OP

Losing a parent is just the worst thing. About 15 years ago my dad had a Brain surgery that was do or die.. he survived and made a full recovery..

On the flip side I lost my mum to cancer in Nov 19.. she was only diagnosed in Aug 19...

So I've seen both sides of the coin.. neither is an experience I'd want to wish upon anyone..

The main piece of advice is take some time out during all the things that need to be done.. just keeping checking in on yourself and access how you feel, are you coping etc, seek out help if needed, talk to people about yourself and your wellness.

I wish you the best.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm very sorry OP, I bet he was a great kind father, and he lives forever through you and your loved ones.

Stay strong and cherish his memory.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, OP.

Grief is very personal, and unfortunately there is no one size fits all answer... If you are close with your family, spend some time with them. Share stories and grieve with each other.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Very sorry for your loss. I am 46 years old, and damn damn damn 53 is just way to young.
Not sure what else to say, try and hang in there.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry OP, none of this should have happened...we failed, most countries failed. We could and we should have done better.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm so sorry for your loss, OP. :(

I know what it's like to lose loved ones, in particular to Covid-19, so I empathize whole-heartedly.

As for advice. All I can say is to allow yourself to feel the grief, anger, frustration, etc, and not try to suppress it. There's really no escaping the pain of loss, so the best thing to do for yourself is to let it happen, because, in time, it will pass. Not that you'll ever not miss your father, or erase the pain, only that the rawness of the loss will subside, and the healing process will begin. There's no easy answer to give you, unfortunately. I've found what has helped me during my grieving process is to reminisce on the good times you had with your father. Laughter truly does help, even if it doesn't stop the tears and sadness from welling up. Just the process of expelling those emotions is a kind of release that opens the door towards healing, though it's not a quick process, believe me.

Sending lots of positive energy, healing, and strength to you and your loved ones during this time.

Oct 27, 2017
That's way too young. My heart breaks for you, OP.

Everybody grieves differently, it's not a process that follows any rhyme or reason. Give yourself as long as you need to to mourn and when the time is right, the happy memories you have of him and the impact of his life on you and others will bring you a semblance of comfort.

Don't ever feel like you need to stop grieving though. It's a life long process and it never gets easier. We simply learn how to cope with loss in different ways.

Oct 25, 2017
My dad died in April. It's rough shit. Definitely took some time to crawl out of the bushes. Still pops into my head regularly but easier to handle now.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
So sorry for your los OP. I can't begin to imagine what I'd do without my dad to guide me.

Hope you and your loved ones make it through this rough patch soon and cheerish your old man's life once you manage to find some happines too.