• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This is called entitlement. The vast majority of humans in history never had the luxury of worrying about whether their life had meaning or whether their day-to-day pursuits were bringing them fulfillment or whether their childhood dreams were being met. They were fighting every day just to survive, to find shelter, to find food, to weather the elements and diseases and predators and famine. Hundreds of millions of humans still live this way every day.

Listen, I know it can be a bummer sometimes, going to work everyday to a job that maybe doesn't mean much to you and you take no particular pride in. But we live better than 99% of humans that have ever lived. It's entitled to expect that we should just get whatever we want, or get to have our dream job simply because we really want it, or to not work at all. We need to learn to motivate ourselves to find contentment from within, or to pursue things that we are passionate about. We're so fortunate to be able to even have the opportunity to be able to pursue our dreams.
Income inequality gives the lie to this kind of thinking. The world's billionaires are hoarding enough wealth to support every living human from cradle to grave, at a middle class standard of living.

Just because countless people in the past lived in misery, we don't have to settle for a stifling hand to mouth existence. There can and should be an alternative way of life for everyone trapped in a soul crushing 9-5 grind.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: hostility towards another member
This is called entitlement. The vast majority of humans in history never had the luxury of worrying about whether their life had meaning or whether their day-to-day pursuits were bringing them fulfillment or whether their childhood dreams were being met. They were fighting every day just to survive, to find shelter, to find food, to weather the elements and diseases and predators and famine. Hundreds of millions of humans still live this way every day.

Listen, I know it can be a bummer sometimes, going to work everyday to a job that maybe doesn't mean much to you and you take no particular pride in. But we live better than 99% of humans that have ever lived. It's entitled to expect that we should just get whatever we want, or get to have our dream job simply because we really want it, or to not work at all. We need to learn to motivate ourselves to find contentment from within, or to pursue things that we are passionate about. We're so fortunate to be able to even have the opportunity to be able to pursue our dreams.
god, people like you are some of the worst.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
After 12 years of working at jobs that paid well but crushed my soul, I quit earlier this year to pursue something I had done as a hobby.

I make less, but now I work remotely and I just feel like this giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I do some tutoring to make up for the income I lost and man, I wouldn't change a thing. Fuck the office environment.
just out of curiosity : what do you currently do?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Income inequality gives the lie to this kind of thinking. The world's billionaires are hoarding enough wealth to support every living human from cradle to grave, at a middle class standard of living.

No kidding. My job is easy to me. It is undemanding. I have a gym and restaurant (full-blown restaurant) on site. I get paid more than most multi person households with every benefit you can imagine - even a pension (currently something like $1300 a month if I retired today)! In the US no less!

And yet I am merely middle class. There are tens of millions in this country working far more demanding jobs with maybe 25% (or 0%) of the benefits for a fraction of the pay. Then there's the 1% who never have to work again, and neither will their children.

The idea that I or anyone deserve a very comfortable life while so many others do not just because I learned a few useful things over the years or because of happy accident of birth is absurd. The gap in pay and quality of living is so massive for so many. And it only gets worse the higher up the ladder one looks.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
You could sip coffee or try to work on making your situation better. Or complain about it, idk.

what most people don't realize is that they're really not that exceptional nor special. No one cares about the shit you want to do personally unless it can benefit them. You can either bang your head against the wall wondering why you're stuck or accept the situation and get better.

god, people like you are some of the worst.
Why is the person you quoted "the worst"

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Do something else if you don't like your work. Stop wasting your time with something that bores you.

I'm 27 and had to change industry 3 times until i got a job i actually enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
Do all these 'fuck working for a living' posts think someone else should work for them or what? The only reason we have computers and internet and games and can travel and eat nice food and watch Netflix all that stuff is because people work. Where is your UBI coming from if nobody works?

I've made a load of changes in my life because I haven't been happy. Quit a fairly well paying job to go back to education and have ended up in a totally different field of work, best decision I ever made. I'm not talking about any of that bootstraps bollocks either, people have it in their control to make changes in their lives.

Last edited:

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 29 and any free time I get goes to new skills and not just skills related to my profession.
I also can't focus on work with a podcast on, jazz instrumentals sure but conversations? Nope.
I typically drink water every hour iced coffee is a luxury lol

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do all these 'fuck working for a living' posts think someone else should work for them or what? The only reason we have computers and internet and games and can travel and eat nice food and watch Netflix all that stuff is because people work. Where is your UBI coming from if nobody works?

I've made a load of changes in my life because I haven't been happy. Quit a fairly well paying job to go back to education and have ended up in a totally different field of work, best decision I ever made. I'm not talking about any of that bootstraps bollocks either, people have it in their control to make changes in their lives.
They'd rather wait until our entire economic system changes. Honestly it's not worth having the discussion.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Work is work that's about it (at least that's how I view it) if the money is good idc. Do my job and go home and be happy.
im simple like that.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the person you quoted "the worst"

Probably because they put a mirror in front of people's faces and force them to accept reality instead of enabling this 'woe is me' mentality that is prevelant around here.

I think a lot of people think they can complain their way into a better life or that the government is magically going to make everything better but that shit isn't going to happen. No one is coming to save you, either you save yourself or you drown. Anyone waiting on life to suddenly become fair or to no longer have to work will die waiting.
What if you don't enjoy working?
Tough shit. Grow up, most people don't enjoy working.

Either work or be a bum. Or win the lottery. What else do you want? You want other people to take care of you?

I dunno, as long as the pay is ok, I'd be fine with the life in that tweet in the OP.

Read more of her tweets, the girl has a more privileged life than 90% of the people on this planet and is whining because she is bored. It's ridiculous.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to imagine a job where it's okay to listen to podcasts while you work.
Maybe I've lived in Japan too long?

Doesn't it make it hard to focus and care about what you're doing?

I think I just have it in for podcasts. I only listen o 8-4, and couldn't imagine more than a few hours every few weeks.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's because you have a shitty job tbh

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I only get by by establishing a hard disconnect from work when I leave the workplace -- I make a very honest effort to not think about anything work related beyond my work facility and I don't really enjoy establishing out-of-work relationships with any co-workers.

And thing is, this is one of the better jobs I've ever had and it pays the bills a lot better than before, but the work culture is admittedly not in vibe with who I am, it's just a means to an end... But at least it does support my own hobbies and interests, so that when I'm not here I can indulge in what I do want to do with my time and energy.

May 25, 2019
London
Probably because they put a mirror in front of people's faces and force them to accept reality instead of enabling this 'woe is me' mentality that is prevelant around here.

I think a lot of people think they can complain their way into a better life or that the government is magically going to make everything better but that shit isn't going to happen. No one is coming to save you, either you save yourself or you drown. Anyone waiting on life to suddenly become fair or to no longer have to work will die waiting.

This. Even in the best times, a fully functioning government is not going to solve this problem for you. Also, people need to stop thinking "game journalist" or "streamer" is a good alternative for them. Except for a small number, those are impractical careers to pursue.

Also, if you feel like you're lacking fulfillment, video games are only going to exacerbate that with virtual "achievements" and digital trophies. Step away from the games for a bit and work on yourself with some offline activities. Try running a 5K or lifting weights. Achieving something in real life is so much better than grinding a battlepass.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Work fucking sucks and then you die so why not just kill myself now and skip all the bullshit and misery.

It's a thought I struggle with every single day. Fuck working for a living. This shit is destroying my soul.

yep, I have the same thoughts. We're all doing the same pointless thing. working to death to own a home to provide for a family to continue a cycle... we're killing the planet and ourselves.
I'm just tired of it... I'm expected to do this for another 40 years. Sure I could change jobs. Sure I may get some leisure time and experience new things, but I'm still trapped in this bullshit game and I want out.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User warned: inappropriate comment
Some of you are such cunts with your heads up too far up your own arse from your own success.

Wish I had the answer OP, I'm trying to get into a field I enioy doing. I never get the well things were worse back then answers, was everyone back then also happier and depression didn't exist?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading these threads and the one about being physically screwed in their early 30's due to work I don't appreciate how good I have it and how rare it actually is.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If a 30 hour a week job exists, I would gladly take it. I don't care what the profession is if it pays enough.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
It's fucking hilarious to me that being able to sip iced coffee and listen to podcasts while at "work" is now considered misery to some people. The sheer lack of perspective for the challenges that other people face.

I'm technically a millennial (34), but people need to understand that not everyone can be "big" or "famous" or doing something constantly exciting every day. Man, our education that focused on "everyone's special" really fucked a number of us up, didn't it?

heh. yeah.

those days at work when i have extra time to listen to podcasts and drink coffee are when im most content in life. what the hell more people want?

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tough shit?

Do you just want everything handed to you?

I find this sentiment absolutely risible. For all the whinging this place does about capitalism, it seems you want a life purely based on the labour of others.
What wonderland are you living in where there is a dignified job available for everyone? In my own country we currently have 700,000 people unemployed, and only 200,000 jobs currently available. In the US there's a Labor shortage, but most of the available positions do not provide a livable wage.

In our current system there will literally never be enough jobs to go around and it would be better if the people who really didn't want to work were allowed not to, so the people who do want to work can have better access to the available job market.

Oct 27, 2017
What wonderland are you living in where there is a dignified job available for everyone? In my own country we currently have 700,000 people unemployed, and only 200,000 jobs currently available. In the US there's a Labor shortage, but most of the available positions do not provide a livable wage.

In our current system there will literally never be enough jobs to go around and it would be better if the people who really didn't want to work were allowed not to, so the people who do want to work can have better access to the available job market.

Bahahaha. Give people an opt out where they get to live a life of leisure at the expense of everyone else, great idea. What could possibly go wrong.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Re: learn new skills

That always seems like a non answer. Like what, exactly? Are Skillshare certificates worth anything? If by new skills you mean go to college, just say go to college.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like adult life, nothing to do with being a millennial.
Millennials adult lives are objectively worse than our parent's adult lives. Besides the bells and whistles surrounding it. And people constantly saying "we all have hardships..." Yea, and? No shit. That doesn't change the fact that my and other's (and our children's) adult lives are going to be even fucking worse

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's finally coming through that the 8 hour work day is based on a time that was very different, no one actually has the concentration to work 8 hours behind a PC/laptop. Just changing it to 6 hours would help.

But society seems to be very slow on this even tho Sweden has proven it works.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
That always seems like a non answer. Like what, exactly? Are Skillshare certificates worth anything? If by new skills you mean go to college, just say go to college.
There are many ways, not hard to look into apprenticeships and things. For instance local to us there is enormous demand for welders and there are training programs to slot you into that field:

Oct 27, 2017
What an utterly worthless post. Are you another one who wants to spend their life leeching off everyone else?
If billionaires can leech off me, why can't I leech off them?

Bahahaha. Give people an opt out where they get to live a life of leisure at the expense of everyone else, great idea. What could possibly go wrong.
you are literally describing the upper classes here. Lol

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
99.9999% of all generations work a life of anonymity. Places like instragram expose you to the. 00001%, and make you think they are normal

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
These problems aren't new. I felt like every third book my mother read when I was growing up was about directionless ennui.

If given the choice I'll take monotony and a lack of purpose over stress and struggle. For real, if you need purpose and you're not getting it from work, family or friends, volunteer or something.

Also, while I think a UBI is a good idea, I don't think it will help people find meaning in their lives.

Last edited:

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Millennials adult lives are objectively worse than our parent's adult lives. Besides the bells and whistles surrounding it. And people constantly saying "we all have hardships..." Yea, and? No shit. That doesn't change the fact that my and other's (and our children's) adult lives are going to be even fucking worse
That's debatable. Obtaining home ownership is definitely harder now but most aspects of millenial life is now easier than it was even 20 years ago. Information is available at your fingertips, labor laws and health and safety laws are better now. Workplace fatalities are lower. Etc.