• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I bought an Elite for PC gaming a while back, and I absolutely adore it. But when I place the paddles on the controller I feel like I have to completely change the way I hold it and I cant wrap my fingers around the controller anymore.

I have tried introducing them one at a time but I just don't feel as comfortable with them on.

Any advice?

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I love the paddles on the elite and my scufs, but it took me a couple of months to retrain myself to use them with muscle memory. It just takes practice.
PS, I would never use face buttons again.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just adding them one at a time (as you have been doing) is all I can say. Try using one for something regular but non critical (like reloading) until you get used to it.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I feel your pain OP, I use my Elite without the paddles. I just couldn't find a grip on the controller that didn't either accidentally press them, or knock them off.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I only ever used them for Dark Souls so I can freely manuver the camera while rolling and running. I'm eager to find other applications for it in more games, but haven't taken the time to play more games that I want to map specific buttons to the paddles.

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017
Just adding them one at a time (as you have been doing) is all I can say. Try using one for something regular but non critical (like reloading) until you get used to it.

This.

I only use the top 2 paddles, for A and B, so Jump and Crouch/roll in most games.

It's also fun to use them for shifting (the only time i deviate from the A/B setup) in the Forza games, but that takes more getting used to.

Adding all 4 was just an awkward mess to hold, and usually X/Y buttons have never been that important to warrant the loss in comfort.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
It takes awhile to get used to, especially with how sensitive they are. What helped me was adding pads to the back of the paddles to increase resistance. I used SoftTouch Noise Bumpers and the smallest ones were perfectly sized.

I think they also may have helped with the longevity of the paddle buttons as well. A few months of having them off and some of the buttons started getting stuck.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Only use 2, and use the smaller of the two. 4 never felt right and the longer paddles were too prone to accidental inputs. I moved the smaller two to the bottom 2 inputs.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I just took mine off. The controller is sturdy enough and of high quality to still be worth the money without that feature. I found a fair few games that one paddle will be helpful for me, but it's rare.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to try an Elite before I buy, because I'm excited about the paddles but I'm also afraid I would find them too uncomfortable. And if I don't use them, there will be little point in spending so much money to replace my regular Xbone controller.

I don't want to hold my controller like an egg that's about to crack.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
they definitely feel kind of alien. basically what i would focus on is what you actually want them for. if there are only 1 or two actions you need to map then figure out which paddle set is most comfortable and take off the other set. if you want all 4, you just gotta tough it out. i personally still find the controller feels best without the paddles but they're undeniably useful. perhaps the series 2 or Scarlett elite equivalent's paddles will have a more natural feel

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Try just resting on them slightly. The Elite paddles are more sensitive to presses than 3rd party ones from my experience. They feel odd at first but once you get used to their placements, you won't even think about them. Personally, I only use the right short one for jumps. I don't use the other ones.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Practice.

Once you remork the muscle memory to include paddle use, you wont be able to game without them.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't use all four. Just use one for a jump button, and add one more for another button once you're used to it. I could never do more than two.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's normal for it to feel foreign, takes patience/practice. I've had the Elite for years and still trying to teach myself to use all four paddles. I'm pretty spot on with two of them where they're second nature now (two on the right) but the other two I often forget about in the heat of the moment. Just keep at it

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't have an Elite controller but I do have a Scuf and it probably took me a solid few months to get used to the paddles, but I couldn't be without them now. Think they just take a lot of adjustment, especially if you're already super proficient with a gamepad.

Arch Almighty

Alt account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Keep it simple. My mappings are:

Top Left —> Y
Bottom Left —> X
Top Right —> B
Bottom Right —> A

Add one paddle at a time until it feels second nature. Use a face button you use most often to speed up muscle memory (For me it was A/Bottom Right)

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel your pain OP, I use my Elite without the paddles. I just couldn't find a grip on the controller that didn't either accidentally press them, or knock them off.
Same issue here. Was hoping for a fix with the 2nd version of the elite but alas. And the grips, which I truly dislike, are still there. It always comes off after a while. I never had a grip issue with the normal xbox controllers. It's a great controller but those 2 issues are big for me.

OP
OP
TheMink

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Thanks for the replies, I really want to give them an honest try as they seem undeniably useful.

I play shooters with M&K so thats out as a learning game.
I thought Souls would be perfect because I use the claw to run, but it's double mapped to dodge plus even with it on I still used the claw because I've been doing that for like 10 years haha.

The one I'm really think about is FFXIV, I got this awesome program called remap so I can map a keystroke to a paddle for instance. That way I can map a specific ability not on my crosses to a paddle.

I guess the best I can do is just put it on and hope I get used to it.

Edit:

For the record, people on the fence I found that the Elite has been 1000% worth it even without the paddles. Just one mans opinion.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Try only one or two on the side of your predominant hand, map them to A (Jump) and B (crouch.)

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
That's the reason I stay away from any controller with buttons or paddles on the back, you're removing the area that the controller is designed for you to grip - the Vita had the same problem with the back touch panel. Hopefully on the next generation of consoles they'll redesign the controllers with rear controls in mind from the start to solve the grip issue, rather than the current approach where they're basically just tacked on to an existing design.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
What the heck are paddles?

For-XBOX-ONE-Elite-controller-Replacement-spares-4-paddles-buttons-levers-gray.jpg_640x640.jpg

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's somewhat of a learning process, you have to re-train your brain to get used to it. The way that worked for me was using two (the bottom two specifically), then just trying my best to use them. After a week or slightly less it just started to click, but it was a mini-battle to get through that initial period.

These days I struggle to play without it. Mentally those paddles ARE A/B to me regardless of the game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely something you have to adjust to. I'd say start with just the bottom two paddles at first. Then introduce the top two. Otherwise just practicing with them until they become second nature helps.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I can barely even begin to comprehend what I'm looking at. Geez.

What do these offer that triggers don't?

Allows you to remap buttons in other places to the paddles so you can keep your thumbs on the sticks instead of taking them off for every press for face buttons. They make FPS games and action games in general more competitive and more comfortable to play.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I remember Analog sticks first being introduced and refusing to use them because I couldn't get the hang of them. I think it might have been Jak & Daxter that finally convinced/forced me to use them, as I had used a standard controller on the PS1 since launch.

I'll be a late adopter with flappy paddles if the DS5 has them as standard. I'm actually quite looking forward to them. I'm sure to have trouble adapting to them, but I think they'll just "click" with me at some point.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I can barely even begin to comprehend what I'm looking at. Geez.

What do these offer that triggers don't?
Triggers? Those are still there.

Paddles are up to four extra remappable buttons. You can put the face buttons on them so your thumb never have to leave the right stick, as most people seem to do.

I use two of them to replace stick clicks (L3/R3).

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Buy a cheap second set on Ebay, throw away those long ones, they're reverse ergonomic, use the second set of short paddles from that set. I learnt that the hard way after a long session of God of War(with Brook X One adapter),

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Allows you to remap buttons in other places to the paddles so you can keep your thumbs on the sticks instead of taking them off for every press for face buttons. They make FPS games and action games in general more competitive and more comfortable to play.
Triggers? Those are still there.

Paddles are up to four extra remappable buttons. You can put the face buttons on them so your thumb never have to leave the right stick, as most people seem to do.

I use two of them to replace stick clicks (L3/R3).

Ah, I see. Yeah I can see how that would take some getting used to.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a learning curve but eventually you'll get to the point that not having the paddles feels weird. They're game changers for a lot of games and I don't touch the face buttons anymore.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I don't have an Elite controller but I do have a Scuf and it probably took me a solid few months to get used to the paddles, but I couldn't be without them now. Think they just take a lot of adjustment, especially if you're already super proficient with a gamepad.
Absolutely. I couldn't play Battlefield without the paddles. I never take my thumbs off of the aim controls because of them.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally have experience with them but changes like that are generally always going to feel worse before it feels better.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
If you really want to learn it quickly, map the face buttons to the paddles and then disable the face buttons completely. You'll have a bad week but you will get used to it.

Honestly I can't even imagine playing some games without them. I play Fortnite mostly and I could never play at the level I play at without the paddles. It's really worth it to learn to use them if you like shooters.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
For first person shooters the paddles are a gaming changer. Get jump and crouch on paddles and be hopping everywhere. It does take a month or two to get use to becuase you have so much muscle memory most likely like I did. Once you get use to it though, you will play so much better trust me. I'm overwatch went from 3000 to 3850, sadly couldn't break 4000 but you know that's for the sweat of sweats

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I only use two of the paddles, but they've changed the way I play FPS games. can't play without them now.