• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
She was 13 years old. We found out that she had cancer a few months ago and knew that we had borrowed time with her. We were hoping for the best but she kept on getting worse and worse during this month and we were going to put her down tomorrow to stop her from suffering. Unfortunately, we weren't able to have a proper last goodbye with her. She's at the er at an animal hospital and she'll be put down there. We think she may have had a seizure due to the cancer somehow and I feel awful that that was the way she had to go.

A few hours before it happened, she looked at me straight in the eyes like she was trying to tell me something and I thought that maybe she wanted some water or something. She didn't drink any of it and just laid back down. It makes me wonder if she knew and was trying to let me know.

I didn't go along to the hospital bc I just couldn't see her like that. I just couldn't.

And I don't know what to do with myself right now. I don't want to think about it and I don't want to keep on crying so I'm just distracting myself by being on here right now.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was 13 years old. We found out that she had cancer a few months ago and knew that we had borrowed time with her. We were hoping for the best but she kept on getting worse and worse during this month and we were going to put her down tomorrow to stop her from suffering. Unfortunately, we weren't able to have a proper last goodbye with her. She's at the er at an animal hospital and she'll be put down there. We think she may have had a seizure due to the cancer somehow and I feel awful that that was the way she had to go.

A few hours before it happened, she looked at me straight in the eyes like she was trying to tell me something and I thought that maybe she wanted some water or something. She didn't drink any of it and just laid back down. It makes me wonder if she knew and was trying to let me know.

I didn't go along to the hospital bc I just couldn't see her like that. I just couldn't.

And I don't know what to do with myself right now. I don't want to think about it and I don't want to keep on crying so I'm just distracting myself by being on here right now.

Very sorry to hear.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really sorry. This is the only part of sharing your life with a dog that unequivocally sucks. The pain you feel now is still worth the memories you'll have of her.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry. There's no particular way to deal with it, just do so naturally as you are. If Era helps as a distraction do that.

There's no easy way to fill that hole. Take it day by day and feel the full breadth of it. You sound like a very loving forever friend to your little one. Godspeed to you and yours.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Really really sorry to hear about your loss. My dog means everything to me. I even have her as my avatar here! These thoughts haunt me as it's an inevitability for all living things. I wish there was something that someone could say to make it easier for you. Unfortunately there isn't. Just try to remember the amazing memories that were had with her. No one can ever take that away from you.

RIP puppy.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss. You gave her a long, happy life. Even if she didn't drink any of the water you brought her, I'm certain she still recognized and appreciated what that act of kindness represented.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
My cat passed about a year and a half ago. I cried everyday for two weeks. I am sorry for your loss and wish you the emotional recovery that all dedicated pet owners deserve.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Cancer in dogs is devastating, that shit destroys so quickly, you did your dog a favor, OP, end that suffering.

Oct 29, 2017
Good dog. We can all hope to raise and care for a pet until either of our ends. Thank you for loving them, it's a love that never leaves.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
My Cat who lived to 22 had to be put down while having a seizure and I feel terrible to this day that she had to go like that. I know the feeling and my condolences go out to you.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Really sorry to hear that OP :(

Losing a pet sucks so much. Please take your time to process things, every reminder that they're no longer there will hurt but it will get easier to handle with time.

Carl2282

Oct 25, 2017
Losing a pet is the worst. I still remember just hugging my mom crying when I was a kid after her telling me she had to put my cat down.. My poor kitty currently had surgery recently and I really had a hard time just being in an empty home for a few hours. I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope you have a bunch of fond memories of your puppy and that you never forget them.

OP
OP
Pink Tape

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
Losing a pet is the worst. I still remember just hugging my mom crying when I was a kid after her telling me she had to put my cat down.. My poor kitty currently had surgery recently and I really had a hard time just being in an empty home for a few hours. I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope you have a bunch of fond memories of your puppy and that you never forget them.

Thank you for the kind words. I hope your kitty gets better soon.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for your loss. My dog passed away in May suddenly, not sure if it was a stroke or what, and it was my first time ever dealing with the death of something close to me. He was 11 and full of energy, never had a single health problem as far as we knew. I still find myself almost calling his name out and looking for him...The first few weeks are TOUGH, just keep yourself occupied the best you can, and keep loved ones around you. Let yourself go through the motions, you will feel a lot, don't be too hard on yourself.

I wish you the best.

Last edited:

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry OP

i have a 16 year old lab and i'm so afraid of the inevitable

she's very healthy for her age but it's very rare labs get to her age.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I'm so sorry, but your pain comes from a place of unconditional love and i'm sure she enjoyed every second with you.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I am sorry for your loss. I think she was trying to tell you something. Over the years, quite a few of my cats and dogs have said goodbye in a similar fashion. It's heartbreaking.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP. I also had a dog not survive a seizure from brain cancer, and he was taken by the vet to get the final shot, with no family around. I wasn't at home and only found out many hours later. I still wish i had done something more, or better, or spent more time with him. Never got over his passing, and it's been two or three years now, i think.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

First of all RIP sweet girl. We had to put down our Border Collie last year and she was my fathers dog or rather she loved my dad and me more and she was our dog in that sense. My Mum has her Golden though.

Our girl had cancer too which spread over months which we didn't notice because she always put up a brave face and never acted hurt even when she hurt herself. Last year she started coughing blood. We had to put her down after knowing that her cancer spread too much. My dad couldn't handle staying with her so I had to with my Mum and it destroyed me, but at least I had the chance. Didn't cry afterwards unlike my parents and took a few days to process it, but now over a year later I still get flashbacks when I am outside of all those little memories which bring to tears oof. Worst thing was the weeks leading up to it, because when I visited my parents she used all her energy to seems normal and I cried like shit all the time.

Everyone is different, but let the memories come in and feel her through your thoughts. She had a long and great life too. Our Border unfortunately was only 10. Now this year our Golden had some big troubles and she nearly died too, but we were able to save her and now she is a just a old dog that has lost her energy mostly, but she is happy.

If you wanna talk about her memories just PM me. :)

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I'm so sorry to hear, OP. Sounds like she lived a nice long life. It's difficult, but take time to keep yourself occupied or whatever you need to cope and grieve.

My wife and I just had to let go of our dog a couple weeks ago. He was diagnosed with an enlarged heart back in October last year, and we were told that it could become critical at any time (days, months, year or two). Months of multiple medications and appointments, but each cardiologist appointment made it seem like he was doing fine. Eventually he became less energetic, and the last day when we made the incredibly hard decision he looked like he was struggling. The emergency vet said he looked like he was going into cardiac arrest.

My biggest fear with letting him go was not being able to be in the room with him due to the pandemic. Fortunately we could. He was only about 8 years old, and we only rescued him 3 years ago. It wasn't enough time and it still tears at us.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Sorry to hear about your loss...know that you gave your dog the best gift you could have given her