• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should I correct her and tell her to start saying coins instead of money?

• Yes.

Votes: 201 18.1%
  • No.

Votes: 469 42.2%
  • What?

Votes: 441 39.7%

• Total voters

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, though historically "coins" have basically been a defacto medium of currency / exchange. I can't even think of any coins right now that aren't considered money, or something you exchanged for money to use in an arcade setting, etc.

There are memorabilia coins, coins that people use for badges or as a metric (such as sobriety). There are coins you could use in board games as markers. The key thing here is that technically all coins have value because of the material they are made of. But not all are considered money. And money is what is used in some sort of economy.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
When we play any Mario game, she says "get the money", but I somehow don't see the coins in those games as money.

Should I correct her and tell her to start saying coins instead of money?

with how many games now want you to spend real money in game I think it probably good she sees in game money. After all one of the tricks of GAAS is making you perceive you aren't using real money.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When the mushroom comes out

girl: "dad get the food!"

Op: "well actually it's a power up."

girl: "ok boomer"

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
D_P53v2VAAEvUv7

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Not all Coins have monetary value. Most do, but it is exposure. I am sure alot of people here can think of examples of coins that you cannot use in any economy to purchase a product. But in this case, the history of mario games prove that coins have monetary value in the kingdom. The only reason you would correct her is because it should be a habit of using the correct wording when you can. Words may have multiple meanings, and there really is no excuse to be lazy.

EDIT:

Even as such.....

gsmarena_004.jpg

What this implies is that while rings aren't coins, it's valid to call rings "money". It's a salient critique of the American healthcare system, of course.

"When Sonic gets hurt, he loses all his money!"

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Rings can be used as currency like coins, they are not coins though.
Any kind of money or currency can be considered to be coin in an informal context. In a formal context, only metal stamped and issued by a government can be considered coin. We know the rings from Sonic are made out of gold, as per the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 English manual, though we do not know if they were issued by a government or not.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean ... coins are money, aren't they?
But they are the money
DOLPH.gif

Also, do you think the coins in Mario games are solid gold, or just gold-plated?
Gold-painted fiches - Nintendo are cheap.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Do not like to your children about the insipid greed of capitalist vocabulary, it is money and she must know it is the enemy

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
They're sentient interdimensional beings who only look like coins and Mario absorbs their essence to maintain his immortality.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, who would ever confuse coins with actual money? If it don't fold, it don't count right OP?

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Money is a general term, which can be made specific by using the word coin instead. Kids have a very limited vocabulary, which adults should be adding to.

Does she also say that she's got 84 money instead of 84 coins?

I'd definitely say «yeah, coins are a form of money» or something like that.

Last edited:

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
I can think of a bunch of games in the series where you exchange the coins for goods (oddesey, maker 2, all the rpg games). That makes them money

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in some alternate reality this is an adorable thread about your daughter. instead, insanely, you've framed it as a crazy crusade against her.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
my girlfriend calls the rings in Sonic "coins" and that's just something I have to live with

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Tell her that money is too broad and not accurate enough of a term and to call them "large floating spinning round coin-shaped objects of gold-colored unknown metal(s) that may or may not be legitimate legal tender."
my girlfriend calls the rings in Sonic "coins" and that's just something I have to live with
Coins-Coisn-Cosin-Csoin-Scoin-Socin-Soicn-Soinc-Sonic.
Sonic = Coins

Last edited: