• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I've had dandruff issues for a bit now, that I honestly thought I would be stuck with, but I decided to try out the Medicated Selsun Blue and it just deleted it within a week or two. Used it for about a year and my scalp stayed great, but recently it's been coming back and despite showering and using the shampoo everyday, it's just getting worse and it's becoming clear it's not doing the job anymore.

So yeah, has anyone else had this problem and what did you end up switching too if you did?

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
Yup I have exactly the same problem and have done for many years, without successfully treating it.

My GP suggested it was sebhorric dermatitis and recommended:
- using medicated shampoo once every 3-4 days for two months, then once a week thereafter (I am using dandrazol at the moment and previously tried nizoral)
- using a "daily" anti dandruff shampoo all other days that you aren't using the medicated stuff. I was recommended to try a brand called Vocene.

I've been doing this for a few months now and it's improved my scalp - it's not perfect and the issue isn't solved, but it is manageable. Once COVID settles down I will revisit the topic and see what else can be done if anything...

Hope the above helps a bit anyway!

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I alternate brands. I find that sticking to one too long loses efficiency. But a bottle lasts less than the time it takes for it to lose efficency so I alternate brands every time. Between 3-4 stora brands and 1-2 name brands you should have plenty of choice.

Oct 25, 2017
I shampoo maybe once a month or so and it's done wonders for my dandruff. I'd recommend trying that
Now if you've been diagnosed with something then you should prob ask your dermatologist what to use

rude

Oct 25, 2017
OP, do you hydrate your scalp with oil? I suffer from dandruff as well, but got rid of it by massaging tea tree oil into my scalp every other night.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I like to rotate between shampoo in Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, and T/Gel. They each use different active ingredients and I find if I stay with a brand too long, the dandruff comes back. Also, if you can, keep your hair short as it helps.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I use Head and Shoulders green apple flavor during the winter months when it's really dry.

Stop shampooing every day! Use dry shampoo on the off days.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Your body is over-producing oil because you're stripping it all off every day.

If you go down to a couple times a week (or less), your body will stop producing so much and your hair will be a lot less greasy.
This. I used to shampoo daily and had super oily hair. Cut down to every 3 days and now my hair is significantly less oily.

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I shampoo every 3 days unless I've been sweating excessively.

My hair is much healthier than when I was shampooing near every day.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the stop shampooing gravy train.
I've gone from a daily shampooer to maybe like once a month, and my hair/scalp has never been healthier.

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017
You're just going to go bald and you will post a thread on the best head shine product after you've accepted your bald head

I will probably make that thread, yes.

If you go down to a couple times a week (or less), your body will stop producing so much and your hair will be a lot less greasy.

You know what? This is a great time to actually try this out because I'm not actually going anywhere. I'll give it a shot

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
ESPN is going to release a ten part series about the GOAT.

extrastrengthshampoo-hero.png

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
510LXD00MuL._SY679_.jpg

This is great stuff. Paul Mitchell brand. It's not real cheap. I order it in bulk when it goes on sale.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How do y'all feel about anti-dandruff conditioner? I've been using that everyday & it has worked wonders for my dandruff & itchiness.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's individual really. I find Nizoral really drying for my head, it's ok as a once a week wash. Paul Mitchell tee tree worked for me a few times then stopped. Head and Shoulders Instant relief and Nivea Power shampoo combo work for me best at the moment. Both shampoos have different active ingredients.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

Wise words.

Shampoo daily is a gimmick to just make you buy a shitton of shampoo monthly.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like others have said, try nizoral it's the only dandruff shampoo that has ever worked for me.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to use the dark blue bottles of Head and Shoulders and they worked fine.

Haven't really had dandruff since I've been on keto (as well as no backne on my neck and back). Further study required to confirm if there's a correlation, but that's my anecdote for you.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, this is usually what happens to me. My worst flare ups happen when I haven't washed in a day or two. I'll give it another shot, but it usually doesn't help
Everyone is different so maybe it won't work for you. But it's worth a try, especially now with everyone at home. Just don't use shampoo for a week or two. Still shower and wet your hair, just no soap. Once my hair started getting a bit of natural oil built up, my dandruff completely disappeared. It was basically like my dandruff was caused by the thing I bought to get rid of it.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Used Tea Tree for years and while I liked the smell, it never really worked

Yeah I was the same way. Even the really potent tea tree shampoo didn't help. Head shoulders didn't do anything for me. Tgel worked alright for me but the smell and it wasn't great on my hair. Then I started using this on a friends recommendation and it has worked out great for me. Dont know what it is but my wife started using it too cause it cleans and leaves your hair so soft.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
www.dove.com

Men+Care Fresh & Clean Fortifying 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner

Dove Men+Care Fresh & Clean Fortifying 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner deeply cleans and invigorates hair. This men's shampoo for dry hair cleanses and revitalizes to leave hair cleaner, fresher and more manageable. Infused with caffeine and sparkling menthol, this men's 2-in-1 shampoo provides...

I use this, but like others here don't shampoo more than than once a week or 2.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
About not using shampoo every day, tried it not so successfully a few years ago. What's been very good for me tho for oiliness is to keep washing daily but using a very small quantity of it. A dermatologist also told my family ages ago that lots of people tend to use waaaay too much soap & shampoo in the shower.

Dandruffs: of course ymmv but I have always found myself coming to back to H&S. But my problem was never too severe to begin with.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I will probably make that thread, yes.

You know what? This is a great time to actually try this out because I'm not actually going anywhere. I'll give it a shot
it took me like a month for it to stop getting greasy when i slowed down my shampooing. ofc like you said its the perfect time for that.
another thing i did was get dry shampoo for the days when my hair got bad and i wasn't shampooing. it helped a lot to reduce the oil

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Head and shoulders never worked for me. T gel never worked for me. Then I was given a random bottle and that worked. Elvive with selenium. It took about a week and then suddenly it all started to get better. It then got discontinued to my dismay. Since then I'm a big advocate of anything with selenium in it.

This was what used to work:
3600522493358_t1.ashx

Dec 4, 2017
I've always had on and off episodes throughout the years. Nizoral helped, until it didn't (guess I built up a tolerance to ketoconazole), I tried a medical shampoo called Alphakeptol (zinc pyrithione, piroctone olamine, salicylic acid, glycolic acid) and it dried the shit out of my scalp (I suspect due to the acids), so that was a bust as well.
Might try one of those birch tar shampoos, or a selenium sulfate one.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I'm jealous to see that anyone has ever had dandruff shampoo of any kind work for them. I've never had any success and I've been dealing with dandruff since grade school.

I switched to Mane & Tail ~4 years ago--it's not a dandruff shampoo, I just did it because it felt arbitrary and silly--and my dandruff is the mildest it's ever been in my entire life.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yup I have exactly the same problem and have done for many years, without successfully treating it.

My GP suggested it was sebhorric dermatitis and recommended:
- using medicated shampoo once every 3-4 days for two months, then once a week thereafter (I am using dandrazol at the moment and previously tried nizoral)
- using a "daily" anti dandruff shampoo all other days that you aren't using the medicated stuff. I was recommended to try a brand called Vocene.

I've been doing this for a few months now and it's improved my scalp - it's not perfect and the issue isn't solved, but it is manageable. Once COVID settles down I will revisit the topic and see what else can be done if anything...

Hope the above helps a bit anyway!
I have seb derm as well and it's only gotten worse over the years. I've tried everything from like 20 shampoos to medicated creams. Gonna be completely honest, at best it'll only ever be manageable, as far as I'm aware there's no "solution" hopefully some day there is, once you find what works best for you though like I said it's manageable for the most part

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'm gonna tell you something I may be criticized for: stop shampooing your hair every day.

I'm going to second this, I shampoo once a week and it's done wonders for my hair. I used to have real greasy hair, however I also had a really dry scalp so it was the worst of both worlds. Cut back on shampooing and my hair feels better. As long as you rinse your scalp everything will feel just fine.