• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 15, 2018
Should I be annoyed at him? I am pretty fucking annoyed he didn't try to teach me any life skills

But I still had a dad so I don't want to be ungrateful

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parenting is probably the hardest fucking thing in the world
If you wanted "life skills" you could've also chased them yourself.

Oct 28, 2017
Neither did my step-father. Have never known my real dad. Step-father is just a sleazy piece of shit.

I guess the only thing I learned from him is how not to be a piece of shit by him being the biggest example of one I know.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he tried and you weren't old/mature enough to realize what he was trying to do ? Not trying to attack you just wondering

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should be annoyed at yourself.

Edit: Okay. Let me expand a bit. If you have the awareness to realize you're missing certain skills...you can go out there an fix that. That's not on him. That's on you.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I feel the same op

Don't know why others are being slightly antagonistic.

My dad didn't really teach me anything, or ever ask if I wanted to learn anything.

He mostly just worked

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad tried to teach me stuff but we were 2 diff people.

He loved fishing and wilderness stuff etc. I didn't.

I'd give anything to have that time with him again.

Which is funny because my step-son doesn't like any of the stuff I like. Except for horror films, and even then he'd rather be in his room alone 90% of the time.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I feel you OP. My real dad was so angry at the world and that's all he passed down to me, how to hate and hurt everyone around me, my stepdad doesn't see me as his responsibility, and my mother has been addicted to prescription pills since I was in middle school so I've just floated blindly for the majority of my life hoping I'm making the right choices. What can you do except go back in time, become your own parent and teach yourself everything vital for living a successful, healthy adult life?

sorry this thread is going the way it is.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
neither did my dad, but whatever. not really anything to be annoyed over. was he at least there to help you with your problems?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Do most people deal with their most horrible problems on their own?

Need some more context here. What exactly are these problems? I feel like I learned conflict resolution skills through a combination of life experience, education, friends and family.

Parents never taught me anything about conflict then get angry when I drink. Lol.

Go see a therapist. Drinking to deal with problems isn't healthy, and I say this as a big craft beer fan.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same op

Don't know why others are being slightly antagonistic.

My dad didn't really teach me anything, or ever ask if I wanted to learn anything.

He mostly just worked
Because a lot of people on ResetEra have zero empathy for others and find it impossible to put themselves in other's shoes. Aka they're trash.

OP I had an upbringing similar, you gotta learn that you have to teach yourself these things. It's easy to sit around and think about why your dad didn't teach you, but just know you are capable. It won't be easy, I still hit my head a lot learning things in life, but you can do it. I believe in you.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
My dad did the same op.....except for the first two parts.

Really wish he would have taught me how to at least fix cars all the times I had to stand there to help him instead of just using me as flashlight holding verbal punching bag.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine left me, my mom and two sisters when I was three. He did give me the gift of male pattern baldness however. He was as it turns out a smart and pleasant man but not cut out for parenting at all. I did get to meet him later in life.

Mintaro

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Sounds like a lot of you need to work to solve and correct these issues instead of resting blame on your dads.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Your dad is just human and was figuring out shit just as much as you are now. The thought that you needed the skills you think you need may have never crossed his mind or he may not have known how to do it.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thats a pretty common felling, but your dad did his best and taught a lot even if you don't realize it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
were you an only child OP? Most of what i learned as a kid I honestly learned from siblings, I was in a family of 8 and my kids were in a family of 3 kids (+2 adults). I think having only 1 kid is maybe not ideal.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
This all feels pretty vague. Conflict Resolution is a broad term, and there are professionals that actually teach these things. I doubt your dad felt so knowledgeable on the subject that he would sit you down and give you a lecture. That type of thing is usually something you learn yourself gradually anyway, by partaking in and observing interactions with others.