• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Long short story, my dad just brought a thing from Amazon today and I know nothing about thing. I tried to google it up for a bit research and found nothing but mixed reviews from Amazon. I posted here in hope for finding more accurate answers from you about this device. If you already had one, then I'd appreciate if you give me more detail about it. I just wanted to make sure if that thing is really secure or whatnot.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I have a Ring 2 doorbell. What do you mean by secure? It mounting to the home or people being able to see what the camera sees?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What's your worry? I have one, it's great. Weirdos don't even bother ringing the door when they see it

If you're not home and have someone strange who does end up dining it you can talk through the speaker from anywhere so they don't know if you're not home

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's a doorbell with a camera on it...there have been reports of some employees maybe accessing some video recordings, but as it takes video of outside that doesn't seem like the biggest security concern.

Only real issue would be if your dad has poor security his wifi or a compromised password.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I've been tempted to get something like that for the lolz. Maybe inside to watch the dog.

It would be the Google version of Ring if Ring isnt compatible.

OP
OP
Futabaisthebest<3
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Ring 2 doorbell. What do you mean by secure? It mounting to the home or people people able to see what the camera sees?

Just out of curious, how long has you using it? I also found a bit about that Ring has a big problem with wifi, like unable to connect from "Live" more frequent.

What specifically are you worried about?

About a wifi and camera, or probably everything. Jeez, I sound like a super paranoid about that thing just now.

It's a doorbell with a camera on it...there have been reports of some employees maybe accessing some video recordings, but as it takes video of outside that doesn't seem like the biggest security concern.

Only real issue would be if your dad has poor security his wifi or a compromised password.

That's what I'm worrying about, but since he's a competent so he knows what he's doing. At least he has more experienced with technology, so I have no problem with that.

You're not helping with that.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more paranoid about the people coming to your door/stealing packages than someone spying on the people coming to your door/stealing your packages.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just out of curious, how long has you using it? I also found a bit about that Ring has a big problem with wifi, like unable to connect from "Live" more frequent.
My router is a few feet from my front door so it has zero issues at all. Bringing up the live feed or when I get a alert takes seconds. I have the wifi charm as well. I've only had mine for a little over a month.

Note with Ring you need a subscription to view the recordings. It's $30 USD a year or $3 a month. Not sure if your Dad knows. If not he can only view live feeds.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing you'd really have to worry about is some freak Frenching the doorbell for hours while jacking off.
Otherwise, Ring is just another security accessory for the modern homeowner.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
We got one from the mother-in-law and my spouse refused to let me hook it up. Said he didn't want his doorbell getting hacked. Also, I wouldn't want my neighbors using my doorbell to track the movements of brown people on my street, so it's still in the box. I've never had any box theft, so I embrace the luxury of privacy.

OP
OP
Futabaisthebest<3
Oct 25, 2017
My router is a few feet from my front door so it has zero issues at all. Bringing up the live feed or when I get a alert takes seconds. I have the wifi charm as well. I've only had mine for a little over a month.

Note with Ring you need a subscription to view the recordings. It's $30 USD a year or $3 a month. Not sure if your Dad knows. If not he can only view live feeds.

I did not know that. I think he already knows but I will still ask him about that.

Rocketz Yup, he knows about it but he rather only view live feeds, so I feel assure.

He did it to stop criminals like me from breaking in didn't you see the commercial

No, I didn't?

Last edited:

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
He did it to stop criminals like me from breaking in didn't you see the commercial
iyejsvwaxc2eorbc7rwmkrkmvvtvpfiilkjhvolclcdlsjypvircwws-kliqsb_cxf7ljmglxqyqljwrbvxlk90oeunnzm9gpsbdj6m5s5o5ix4mha7twqzwkjxcf2nn.gif

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple nest cams (indoor and doorbell) and they're fantastic - no complaints so far. I could do my own NVR instead of uploading everything to the cloud but I'm too lazy.

I have all my IoT stuff segregated to its own VLAN and occasionally do some packet sniffing to ensure it's not sending shit out to China, but it doesn't worry me too much in all honesty

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I hate these things. I feel like products like this are for paranoiacs. They profit over a largely unfounded feeling that you can't trust your neighbors.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have any advice for you, but I have read in many reviews that sometimes, the thing won't even start recording until the person at the door turns and walks away, thus defeating the purpose. That and if you live in a colder area, you'll have to occasionally unmount it to charge the battery EVEN IF you have it hardwired.

My dad also wants one of these. I guess they were advertised a lot during the NFL season, so the TV told him that he needs one. Meanwhile, there hasn't been a break-in in his neighborhood for the entire time he's been there, which is about 35 years.

OP
OP
Futabaisthebest<3
Oct 25, 2017

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate these things. I feel like products like this are for paranoiacs. They profit over a largely unfounded feeling that you can't trust your neighbors.
If only to get delivery thieves they're great.
Lots of other uses, from intercom to being told when you have people who dropped by when you weren't there to knowing your kids are safe home when you're stuck in traffic on your way to pick them up at the community bus stop...

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't really have any advice for you, but I have read in many reviews that sometimes, the thing won't even start recording until the person at the door turns and walks away, thus defeating the purpose. That and if you live in a colder area, you'll have to occasionally unmount it to charge the battery EVEN IF you have it hardwired..
I mean if someone sprinted up to my door and then turned and ran away then maybe. I have mine zoned pretty well though to catch my yard and driveway but it would depend on how people have theirs set up.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
the only problem i have with ours is there's a notification every two minutes when a car drives past

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017

I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and just a few weeks ago my street was hit by car thieves, they didn't steal cars but just walked down my street checking locks and stealing whatever was inside that might be valuable.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if someone sprinted up to my door and then turned and ran away then maybe. I have mine zoned pretty well though to catch my yard and driveway but it would depend on how people have theirs set up.

Oh yeah, it's going to be a case by case thing, and mileage will vary. If that happened ALL the time, I think we'd have heard about it more.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Every webcam on the market connects to wifi. My dashcam connects to wifi. What's your worry? It's going to cause you cancer? The connection depends on the router you use.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I only want the setup Casey Neistat has in his studio. A camera that connects to a live monitor. So you can see who's on the other side of the door from anywhere in the room.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Bought one for my parents and they love it. You can see everything going on outside of your front door and monitor any stupidity.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have y'all heard about Amazon's potential plans for the Ring doorbell cameras???

Amazon filed a patent that would allow doorbell cameras such as their Ring camera to gather data and identify people considered to be "suspicious."

Amazon Patent: https://www.aclunc.org/docs/Amazon_Patent.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ecognition-technology/?utm_term=.6f44aeab128c

December 13, 2018

A patent application filed by Amazon offers a vision of how doorbell cameras could be equipped with new technology that would allow the devices to gather data and identify people considered to be "suspicious."

The application — revealed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office last month and first reported by CNN — describes how cameras could be used to piece together a composite image of an individual's face, giving homeowners and police the ability to more easily identify someone who has engaged in potential criminal activity.

The patent's inventor is identified as Jamie Siminoff, the chief executive of Ring, the home security company that manufactures doorbells that record video and connect to users' smartphones. Amazon acquired Ring in February, thrusting itself into the home surveillance business.

The patent application states that home safety is a major concern for homeowners and that the presence of doorbell recording devices can be a "powerful deterrent against would-be burglars." The application also posits other potential uses for cameras equipped with facial-recognition technology, such as comparing such facial images to a "database of suspicious persons." If a suspicious person showed up on a homeowner's door step, for example, the technology would then retrieve "information about that person from the database," the application says.

After analyzing someone's facial features and contacting homeowners, the application says, the visitor could be added to an "authorized list" or a database of "suspicious persons." The technology would also allow neighbors to share information about suspicious people, creating a cooperative neighborhood-wide surveillance system.

Ring is already exploring similar technologies. In May, the company launched an app called "Neighbors," which allows people to "view and comment on crime and security information in their communities," according to CNET.

Siminoff told CNET that the app has already amassed more than 1 million active users who are using it to swap information about crimes and criminals. "We're seeing it become a foundation," he said. "It enhances everything we do in the company."

Jake Snow, a technology and civil liberties attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California, warned that the patent application shows the technology could be used to create "a massive, decentralized surveillance network."

"This application gave me chills," he said, adding that Amazon is already pushing law enforcement to embrace facial-recognition technology.

Snow said he believes Amazon is proceeding without considering the consequences of its technology.

"Just imagine if a person who has a criminal record is delivering a package, but the system has been set to automatically recognize anyone who has a prior criminal history as a 'suspicious person' and then the cops show up at this place when this person is just doing their job," Snow said. "Then you have an interaction between police and this individual, and we've seen how interactions between people of color and the police can turn deadly for any reason or for no reason at all."

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We got one from the mother-in-law and my spouse refused to let me hook it up. Said he didn't want his doorbell getting hacked. Also, I wouldn't want my neighbors using my doorbell to track the movements of brown people on my street, so it's still in the box. I've never had any box theft, so I embrace the luxury of privacy.
Lol what? You both sound super paranoid.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
These aren't IP cameras with web configs that can be easily tapped into across the internet. They only work with Ring's cloud, so the security is as good as any other service you put an email and password into.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't bother ringing these things when I have a package or certified letter that requires a signature. If the resident's home, knocking will get them to the door, and if they're not, it saves me having an entire static-heavy conversation with them through their doorbell.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have one. Besides what's already been posted, it helps lock up a bunch of petty thieves. You can share clips online with your area and ask if anyone else saw the weirdo trying to open the door, look through windows, tweaking, or taking packages. Others will share similar videos, reference a police case, and someone e usually will recognize the person.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

You're just niave. People steal packages and try to enter all the time.

We had a guy lift items from all cars in the neighborhood that were unlocked. Ipads, cash, etc all stolen.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Or, you know, you live in a neighborhood in New Jersey that had 18 homes within a quarter mile radius broken into just last year. I happen to live right off not just 1 but 2 major highways in New Jersey. I never put 2 +2 together but learned thanks to talking to an officer in my town that thieves from other towns love an area like mine as it offers them a quick getaway.

Nevermind the fact I actually do not trust some of my own neighbors.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend installing a Swann multi camera system with a DVR.

I think that's a fine suggestion. Only downside is, someone could walk away with the footage. I like that my Nest cam will stream right up until it's potentially unplugged (and give me a great shot). But I do wish I could also archive here. I'm sure there's a way if I do some jiggery pokery.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah any solution with local storage is not secure. Ring uploads to the cloud. Security systems tend to have days worth of battery life and their own 4G data connection so you can't just cut power, cut data, or walk away with it. Killing them will send the cops immediately.